rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Should the white dress shirt still be your wardrobe staple?

I was shopping for a new dress shirt for jobs and formal with my girl. Since you RVF people are mostly already familiar with style basics, you can guess that it's not easy finding a really good off-the-rack white shirt with a 100$ budget.

Thing is, there are so many good alternatives to white dress shirt nowadays, I'm starting to think if it's even necessary to own a white one anymore. Obsidian blue, light blue, very light red, even black. Aside from making you look more interesting while still staying formal, it has the added benefit of highlighting your physique. White makes you look fatter, and it only look good if you keep it really white.

Other than a black tie event (in which I've heard black dress shirts are still acceptable) I can't think of an occasion where white would trump black or dark navy blue. Thoughts?

Edit: added to that white shirt has the see-through problem.

Ass or cash, nobody rides for free - WestIndiArchie

Black shirts are fat asses. Even chicks know this.

Nothing beats a crisp white shirt on a jacked body with dark jeans and polished shoes.

I have no opinion on blue.

A tailored white dress shirt is the foundation on which the rest of the outfit is built. There's something subtly regal about it.

You can do so much with a white shirt that is harder to pull of with other colors.

A white shirt? Add a fitted blue blazer ( linen or wool depending on seasons) with either jeans or chinos. Kick it with boots or nicer dress shoes.

A white shirt goes good with any suit in the world.

Dark navy blue or black shirts? Maybe in certain situations but you can't 'build' an outfit around one of those like you can with a white shirt. If you wore a brown or blue blazer with a dark blue or black shirt it would look retarded.

Most of the dress shirts in my closet are white. I have others of course, colored, patterned, etc. But white is the foundation for which sharp looking outfits and looks are built upon.

- One planet orbiting a star. Billions of stars in the galaxy. Billions of galaxies in the universe. Approach.

#BallsWin

Quote: (11-08-2015 05:06 PM)Dalaran1991 Wrote:  

(...)

A white linen shirt goes well with chinos, if it's summer, or a tropical country.

In other cases, it's a little formal to wear without a jacket. Especially with jeans.

I agree with robreke on dark shirts, and I'm pretty sure black shirts for black tie is just a "clever" Hollywood actor thing. There are enough dorks in polyester and wing collars going around that playing by the rules is the way to stand out.

I don't like pinpoint white dress shirts. So I'll usually get a royal Oxford instead.

Bigger threads and looser weave.
Plus more visual texture.

In the States that'll run you 50 bucks at your local Macy's.

But the only other true interview option is the office standard light blue.

There are no other options, not if you're going to work for men.

WIA

White is essential. Just pick a fabric type and style that appeals to you. The only advice is to avoid button down collars. I don't, I just don't like them. Classic looks never go out of style.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

I buy mine in bulk from UK, great site is TM Lewin. White and light Blue only.

You can get all kinds of cuts as well.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

I have yet to find a company that makes a good white dress shirt, short of going for tailoring. Anyone knows of European brands that make good stuff? Aside the ones Rudeboy mentioned.

I'm a bit short but athletic so any shirt that fit shoulders and chest well has arms long enough to tie a knot.

Ass or cash, nobody rides for free - WestIndiArchie

There is no one answer to this question. It really depends on your style system as a whole and what other garments you are rocking.

That being said, if you are building a respectable wardrobe, you owe it to yourself to at least experiment with white dress shirt combinations.

Plan a trip to Hong Kong and have 20 shirts made up of various colours and fabrics. That should do you for a while.

I'm the King of Beijing!

Eton (Swedish brand) makes excellent shirts. They're a bit more expensive than most, but very well made. They're relatively easy to iron and the fabric is wrinkle-resistant for the most part (that is, once they're ironed).

And yes, it is always a good idea to have an ironed white shirt hanging in the closet, ready to go for whatever impromptu event necessitates it (job interviews, etc.).

Edit: if the sleeves are too long, pay a good tailor to adjust the length.

Yes white shirt is essential. Few things go as well with a grey or navy suit. It's just a classic look. Black shirt is more clubby, and even though I have a couple, I don't wear them much. Looks low class frankly.

Have you tried Charles Thyrwitt? They have an extra slim fit that might suit you, and they are not too expensive. I have three of their shirts I use at work. Proper dress shirts have neck and sleeve measurements, not just "S" or "M."

Quote: (11-08-2015 05:06 PM)Dalaran1991 Wrote:  

I was shopping for a new dress shirt for jobs and formal with my girl. Since you RVF people are mostly already familiar with style basics, you can guess that it's not easy finding a really good off-the-rack white shirt with a 100$ budget.

First off, your assumption is wrong. I've bought the fitted ones off the internet for under $100 and they worked out great.

Second yes. Absolutely. If you are interviewing for, or working in, the kind of job where the dress code is a suit then white or powder blue should be the only colors you wear...at least at the junior level.

Suitsupply offers off-the-rack shirts at 59 and 79 euros; they are decent quality for the price.
Their in-house tailoring service takes in the side seams for 18-19 euros, and they charge the same price for taking in the seams of the sleeves.
Their MTM offer starts at 120 euros if I remember correctly with some very good fabrics available in the 150 euro range.

I agree with you on the white shirt. I'm very pale so with a white shirt I just look like a ghost or a cancer patient. I stick to shades of blue and pink.

For the same reason I've also added black suits and black shoes to my list of redundant wardrobe items.

Somewhat off-topic question: I have a lot of dark ink on my arms and chest. Plain white dress shirts are usually pretty thin and I can see all my tattoos through them. Are there any fabrics/brands where this wouldn't be a problem? Undershirts are an option only 2-3 months out of the year. Where I live it's stupidly fucking hot and I sweat like a blind lesbian in a fish market.

Not on here much anymore. I'm either out on 2 wheels or trying to kill something.

Quote: (11-11-2015 01:10 PM)J. Spice Wrote:  

Somewhat off-topic question: I have a lot of dark ink on my arms and chest. Plain white dress shirts are usually pretty thin and I can see all my tattoos through them. Are there any fabrics/brands where this wouldn't be a problem? Undershirts are an option only 2-3 months out of the year. Where I live it's stupidly fucking hot and I sweat like a blind lesbian in a fish market.

It simply comes down to density of the fabric. You want to find the denser type of shirts. Anything that is described as a twill will be a lot denser than the normal plain-weave poplin shirts.

Most of my dress shirts are cotton and 'non-iron', and I've noticed that these are all in dense twill fabrics that don't show through.

Quote: (03-05-2016 02:42 PM)SudoRoot Wrote:  
Fuck this shit, I peace out.

@ J

White shirts call for grey undershirts or wife beaters.
But most colored shirts should mask upper body tattoos.

WIA

Anyone opinions about Cavallaro Napoli?

http://www.cavallaronapoli.com/nl/men/fw...ion/shirts

Awesome thanks guys!

Not on here much anymore. I'm either out on 2 wheels or trying to kill something.

I recently went for a panel interview, and opted for a white dress shirt with my light gray suit. Took a bit of a chance by leaving out the tie, but used a gold/white patterned pocket square, along with dress boots. At two separate intervals, while waiting, I ran into chief executives whom I'd met several times previously at other events through the same organization, and they were immediately taken by my outfit.

@Lime nice designs

The cuffs and collars are very bold, much more so than the equivalent French, English, or American models. For that price point I'd expect quality fabric from a name brand cotton mill. Maybe mother of pearl buttons, presumably no birds foot threading.

They seem to be typical off the peg aka ready to wear Italian dress shirts.

WIA

Profumo is an Italian brand that seems to be popular in EU. I've never tried them, but they are another brand you might want to look into.

I wouldn't wear a black shirt. I think black dress shirts make you look like a restaurant employee.

I will be checking my PMs weekly, so you can catch me there. I will not be posting.

White button-ups are definitely a staple of your wardrobe, but they not may provide enough contrast for your complexion if you're a dark-haired dude. So, if you have darker hair and a ruddy complexion or dark skin, I suggest wearing a white shirt with a dark blazer, V-neck sweater, or vest. Any dark colors- grey, navy blue, coffee brown, or moss green will do.

A white shirt with a navy pin-striped blazer, 3-piece suit, or double-breasted suit with a dark, patterned tie seems to especially look good.

Quote: (11-09-2015 05:20 PM)Dalaran1991 Wrote:  

I have yet to find a company that makes a good white dress shirt, short of going for tailoring. Anyone knows of European brands that make good stuff? Aside the ones Rudeboy mentioned.

I'm a bit short but athletic so any shirt that fit shoulders and chest well has arms long enough to tie a knot.

A bit traditional, but Brooks Brothers has good white shirts.

They have an in-store tailor so you can pick the ones you like ( the white shirts have several different collar designs) then have the tailor make her marks.

Leave with the tailor and pick up in a few days. Basically as good as customized.

- One planet orbiting a star. Billions of stars in the galaxy. Billions of galaxies in the universe. Approach.

#BallsWin

Brooks Brothers has slim fitting white shirts that fit very snugly around the waist, which is were most of the fitting issues with shirts arise (at least for me).