rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The "Armpit Sweat/Odor Help" Thread

I was tired of regularly flooding the lounge with my comments and questions regarding this, so I thought I would just make a thread.

This problem is the bane of my existence, and has been for probably the past two years now. Mainly because of the sweat - the odor is an added bonus. The sweat is a huge confidence crusher because of the visible stains.

A few months ago, I realized that store-bought deodorants/antiperspirants only seemed to make the sweating worse. Also, they were giving my shirts permanent stains from the chemicals which would completely ruin them. So I switched to baking soda, which helped somewhat. I later figured out that baking soda only takes care of the odor and not the sweat, so I found this article and started scrubbing with a loofah in the shower (and not using soap to wash my armpits, only water). I recently decided that that only seemed to help the sweating minimally, so now what I do is scrub in the shower, then afterwards dry off and apply corn starch, then baking soda with a makeup brush (probably the faggiest thing I own). The cornstarch is supposed to act as an antiperspirant.

Over the long course of my researching and trial-and-error testing, if anything, I feel like I’ve only made the problem worse. Just minutes after my shower, I’ll start sweating, and after 3-4 hours the smell enters the scene.

I want to know what I am doing wrong, or rather, what I need to do instead. There is obviously at least something wrong with my routine.

The point of this thread is for people to give and receive help relating to sweat and odor prevention in the armpit area. People are starting to get fed up with the low quality of store-bought deodorants and want to switch to a more natural remedy, but this can be difficult.

For those of you who go about your day sweat and odor free, tell us your routine!

Whats your diet like?
Do you drink enough water?
Height?
Weight?
Have you been to a medical doctor to see if you have a condition?

I had terrible body odour too. I had this imaginary boundary around me that people would keep out of while working out in the gym.
I was overweight back then and my excess flab didn't help much either. Getting down to a reasonable bf% did help me too.

All I do now is scrub my pits with regular shower gel and a loofah for a good 30sec-1 minute.

I also keep my under arm hair short and drink more water than I used to. BO is now a thing of the past.

A guy I use to roll with swore by this stuff : http://www.amazon.com/SweatBlock-Antiper...B002PQ8BQM

I've never tried it because i dont sweat much but you should read the reviews

Quote: (07-25-2015 04:50 AM)LINUX Wrote:  

A guy I use to roll with swore by this stuff : http://www.amazon.com/SweatBlock-Antiper...B002PQ8BQM

I've never tried it because i dont sweat much but you should read the reviews

I'm going to give that a shot. Sounds promising.

I've used this before: http://www.amazon.com/Driclor-Antiperspi...B001TU1EPU

Works well. Supposedly if you use it consistently for 1-2 weeks, you only then need to apply it every few days or less. But I can barely get past 4 straight days of use because it does irritates so badly after a few days.

Otherwise I've had Botox injected under the arms. It was a free trial, so thought why not. Seemed to work well, and lasted ~3 months. Expensive though. The government covers the cost of the Botox over here (~$1000 Australian), so it's only the dermatologist you're paying, which is about $400.

2 things:

1) Stay dri- you apply it at night before bed, itches like crazy but it works

2)Botox-Works. Period. Only drawback is you must get the shot every 3 months.

Delicious Tacos is the voice of my generation....

You might have focal hyperhidrosis. It's excessive sweating limited to the palms, soles, or underarms. If you go see a dermatologist he'll either give you a botox shot (that's what I got) or a high-prescription antiperspirant. The only downside about the Botox shot is that you have to get it every couple of months but it's worth it because your underarm sweating will be under control.

Huey

Quote: (07-25-2015 01:45 AM)kinjutsu Wrote:  

Whats your diet like?
I mainly eat healthy, whole foods.
Quote:Quote:

Do you drink enough water?
Yes, probably too much.

Height?
5'10''

Weight?
150lbs

Have you been to a medical doctor to see if you have a condition?
No.

Quote: (07-25-2015 09:30 AM)Huey Wrote:  

You might have focal hyperhidrosis. It's excessive sweating limited to the palms, soles, or underarms. If you go see a dermatologist he'll either give you a botox shot (that's what I got) or a high-prescription antiperspirant. The only downside about the Botox shot is that you have to get it every couple of months but it's worth it because your underarm sweating will be under control.

Huey

I may. I think I'd just stick with the prescription antiperspirant if I do. I may schedule an appointment.

I hope you shave your armpit hair down to nothing. Hair traps and keeps moisture REALLY well. If I don't shave them and get long I'll regulsrly get a swamp in there that'll last the whole day. Without them, not sure problem

Just read my sheet and follow the tips on liquid chlorophyll.

THE FRESHNESS HOLY TRINITY

When you say "healthy whole foods" can you describe a normal day's worth of food for us? Do you know your macros? Do you eat tons of carbs? Grains? Milk? Legumes? Is your food heavily spiced?

Quote: (07-25-2015 10:46 AM)Goldhawkstar Wrote:  

Quote: (07-25-2015 01:45 AM)kinjutsu Wrote:  

Whats your diet like?
I mainly eat healthy, whole foods.

For the past 2 months I've been using Crystal deodorant.

[Image: 200x200_stick.jpg]

It is a rock made with mineral salts, very cheap and a single rock can last a year of daily use. The salts kill the bacteria that causes BO. It's odorless, invisible, dries fast and doesn't stain your clothes. I apply it after showering in the morning (8am) and I'm usually fine until the next morning. It's not the same as an antiperspirant or odorless deodorant - it's hard to describe: my armpits don't stink, but they produce a "natural" neutral smell, which doesn't bother me at all.

Sometimes by the end of the day, if I exercised or sweat a lot (it's not an antiperspirant), I can smell a little funky. I have never been a BO guy, though, so your mileage may vary.

Having said that, I highly recommend it if you are looking for a more natural, less aggressive and cheap alternative.

Edit: just saw that Kosko also recommends crystal alum.

I made some recommendations awhile back in this thread. These are good options if the more natural methods don't help control your issue:

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-23467-...#pid435050

Talc (AKA baby powder) works well.

You might want to combine it with a wiff of baking soda.

"Fart, and if you must, fart often. But always fart without apology. Fart for freedom, fart for liberty, and fart proudly" (Ben Franklin)

Quote: (07-25-2015 06:44 AM)Aussie_Thinker Wrote:  

I've used this before: http://www.amazon.com/Driclor-Antiperspi...B001TU1EPU

Works well. Supposedly if you use it consistently for 1-2 weeks, you only then need to apply it every few days or less. But I can barely get past 4 straight days of use because it does irritates so badly after a few days.

When you're using Driclor or anything like that, once it starts to irritate you it is active and you should immediately switch to the maintenance schedule of only using it every couple of days.

They are a total game changer, and anyone who recommends baking soda, crystal deodorant, or anything that is not a strong antiperspirant, cannot give useful advice on controlling genuine excess sweat.

I used to saturate t-shirts with minimal activities on a cold day, now I can do whatever I want with no worry. It's not something you need to live with, and trying the 'natural' suggestions will just prolong the sweaty misery.

"I'd hate myself if I had that kind of attitude, if I were that weak." - Arnold

I don't sweat massive amounts but I use Driclor once then basically don't sweat at all under my arms for 2 weeks. It's a million times better than any antiperspirant deodorant and genuinely works.

I was sweating a lot a few months ago. I discovered I had high blood pressure even though I have been gyming a lot. I removed all the heavy foods from my diet - sausages, steaks etc. I hit the cardio hard for a few weeks and also got a vegetable juicer. Two weeks after that my pressure was perfect and no more sweating.

I always used to have the worst B.O. at work out of everyone. To the point at the end of the day my co-workers would try remain at least 10 yards away from me at all times.

I tried out Mitchum Man Gel deodorant and have not had a problem with smelly B.O. since.

This is the best I have ever seen.

I think its called "lavanila" or something like that. They sell it at Sephora or on amazon.

I like the unscented one or the lavender, the rest smell funny to me.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDM-oPVy4f2aLP9Aens95...v7QTss37a2]

To be honest with you, forget about all the stuff people are trying to sell you. It sounds like you have Hyperhidrosis. The only way to go about your day sweat free is by taking (really painful) botoxshots in your armpits. It will sting, but the eventual results will be well worth it.
It's true that it will last you 3 months at first, but I've noticed that after a couple of years doing this I could go on one treatments for almost 8 months, the first 3/4 months being months without evening breaking a sweat at all. In addition to this I use Odorex extra dry to prolong the effect of not sweating.

The clinic that I go to has a new treatment and they claim this will get rid of hyperhidrosis permanently. I have yet to try this (because it's 9x what I pay for one treatment), but I think I will before summer 2016.

I too have struggled with this for years, it set me back socially and basically ruined my education, because I wasn't able to attend class without feeling self conscious. After starting the botox treatments I really started to pickup my life again, and be the outgoing guy that I actually am. It did leave its mark, but I'm not letting it hold me back anymore.

ps: I might just try to get my hands on Driclor. Everyone seems to rave about it and i'm getting ready to leave the country for the rest of the year, so getting to my Clinic will not be an option until I get back.

Roosh's suggestion of baking soda is a good one. That stuff really works.

One thing I discovered is that you can also add magnesium oil to enhance it.

Spray some magnesium oil in your pits before you rub in some baking soda.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

I sweat a lot (armpits, feet, hands, and when it's really hot also face - and the rest of my shaved head, back, groin) when I do anything but sit still in temperatures over mid twenties Celsius - so only a summer problem for me.
I've tried a bunch of primarily aluminium based anti-perspirants (including one stronger prescription based product that was too harsh on the skin) but at most they reduce sweating by probably no more than 10-20%. I still use one on hot summer days though.

Last summer I also tried a mix of baking soda and cornstarch, but while it might have reduced body odor a little (and that's not really something I'm particularly self conscious about - or have received comments about - to the same level as visible sweat stains, unless I'm walking around in the same clothes an entire hot day) it has also done very little for lowering sweat volume, and additionally tends to make a bit of a mess unless I apply it very sparingly.

Basically I've resigned to just not caring too much anymore. My typical summer routine consists of showering/using wash cloths (I very rarely use soap any more, just a soap-free face wash product) and changing clothes 2-4 times per day.
I also stick to black and white t-shirts and shirts to reduce the visibility of sweat stains, and I laugh at all those people who say that grown men shouldn't wear shorts, even if strolling around in Bangkok in 36 degrees. I have rivers of sweat running down my lower legs within minutes if I wear long pants - even light fabrics - on a hot summer day (I can just about manage wearing very light linen pants in the tropics very late at night, though I'll certainly still need a shower a few hours later if I do much more than standing around).

My body did actually start adjusting to the heat when I was in Thailand last year. But it took over a month, and it was only to a degree where I could walk at normal pace instead of in slow motion if I didn't want to be ready for the next shower within 30 minutes or less.

Quote: (08-18-2015 06:00 PM)Atlantic Wrote:  

I was sweating a lot a few months ago. I discovered I had high blood pressure even though I have been gyming a lot. I removed all the heavy foods from my diet - sausages, steaks etc. I hit the cardio hard for a few weeks and also got a vegetable juicer. Two weeks after that my pressure was perfect and no more sweating.

Does that mean you're on a low protein diet now? Or have you just switched to chicken, fish, eggs etc. instead of heavy meats?

I'm in pretty good shape but 4 kg from what I have considered my ideal weight before at my current level of muscularity (I'm currently dieting and aiming to go a bit lower than that and see if I can get down to 10-12% body fat), but I could most certainly be eating a lot healthier than I am. I've mostly just been reducing calories rather than changing much about my meat heavy, vegetable limited diet.

Quote: (08-19-2015 11:41 AM)MikeS Wrote:  

Quote: (08-18-2015 06:00 PM)Atlantic Wrote:  

Does that mean you're on a low protein diet now? Or have you just switched to chicken, fish, eggs etc. instead of heavy meats?

I'm in pretty good shape but 4 kg from what I have considered my ideal weight before at my current level of muscularity (I'm currently dieting and aiming to go a bit lower than that and see if I can get down to 10-12% body fat), but I could most certainly be eating a lot healthier than I am. I've mostly just been reducing calories rather than changing much about my meat heavy, vegetable limited diet.

Ya a lot more lean meat like chicken, eggs, lean beef and fish. I cut out all the steaks, sausages and other heavy meats. I am still getting a lot of protein though.

I really stepped up on the vegetables though and also cut back on sugary fruits. My grocery cart is nearly half veggies.

I'm not a big veggie fan. It's not that I strongly dislike the taste of most vegetables, but that to my taste buds eating even what's supposed to be a "delicious" salad in a restaurant is roughly as bland as chewing on cardboard.

It goes down somewhat more easily if the vegetables are cooked as part of a dish with meat and sauce, but since I don't cook anything more advanced than an omelet (most of the meatballs, sausages, chicken etc. I eat are bought at supermarket delis and then I just heat them up at home), that usually only happens when I eat out.
I've started occasionally putting some frozen vegetable mixes on the frying pan, which I guess I ought to be doing more often in the absence of inclination to do any proper cooking.

I love fish, shellfish, eggs, chicken, so I could begrudgingly phase out some of all the pork I'm eating. Beef is unfortunately not nearly as popular here in Bulgaria as it was back in my native Denmark, so finding a decent steak (hell, sometimes even just any kind of cow meat) in supermarkets is sadly often difficult and requires restaurant visits instead.