rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

DJ/EDM production thread

DJ/EDM production thread

Shout out to all the disc jockeys on here - I've seen a little interest in the topic so I figured there needs to be a thread dedicated to the fine panty dropping art of spinning tunes and the dark science of production

Post about your own exploits or those of your favourite artists, talk about gear, tunes, DAWs, festivals, plugins, anything related to EDM

Here's a (very) short mix I recorded a month or 2 ago to get us started

Down tempo mix

DJ/EDM production thread

Arkitect, I had a listen to the first few minutes and while it's ok for that type of music you have fallen into the usual trap of home recordists everywhere.

Too much going on, too many elements at once and this has the effect of making the mix sound muddy and thus lessening the impact of the drums. Also cut some low mids 150hz - 250 HZ from everything except the bass line.

DJ/EDM production thread

Yeah for some reason I recorded this several dB below the volume I was supposed to, so the quality is muddy as shit. In reality there's not actually that much going on. Most (all?) of the tunes were only mp3 quality as well which makes a huge difference

There's 0 eq or anything done to it, was all recorded in 1 take and uploaded straight to soundcloud. I didn't even listen beforehand hence why I missed the shitty quality

I'll be recording another short one (~30 mins) later this week, I'll try make a point of using WAV format tracks

DJ/EDM production thread

Where do you guys get your music from?

DJ/EDM production thread

Soundcloud is my main source for EDM. There's not a whole lot on the market that can't be found through Soundcloud. I do swap tunes with my buddies every now and then, though I haven't done this so much with EDM as I used to with other genres

The issue isn't really finding music, so much as finding good music with good sound quality

DJ/EDM production thread

I'm a musician ( guitar, bass , vocals) so I make my own. The only samples I will use are drum loops and then I'll chop them up to fit the song.

DJ/EDM production thread

Quote: (07-06-2015 10:28 AM)MistaaJack Wrote:  

Where do you guys get your music from?

Find gems on 1001tracklists, Endless Rotation, and Soundcloud then buy on Beatport

I went to this year's BPM Festival and have been influenced by it ever since. Adriatique, Dixon, Ame, etc.

DJ/EDM production thread

I've been in the game since I was a teenager, late 90's. Always the underground sound, the whole EDM thing is complete garbage to me.

DJ/EDM production thread

EDM is a joke but I do like DJ electronic music

DJ/EDM production thread

Quote: (07-06-2015 02:26 PM)Biz Wrote:  

I've been in the game since I was a teenager, late 90's. Always the underground sound, the whole EDM thing is complete garbage to me.

What about arrangements, rhythms, texture, melody, differentiates underground from EDM if both are produced with computerized rather than physically played instruments?

DJ/EDM production thread

Quote: (07-07-2015 06:05 AM)iknowexactly Wrote:  

Quote: (07-06-2015 02:26 PM)Biz Wrote:  

What about arrangements, rhythms, texture, melody, differentiates underground from EDM if both are produced with computerized rather than physically played instruments?

It's not how the song is produced it's what's being produced that differentiates the musical styles.

DJ/EDM production thread

I've been DJing since 2004. Loving every minute of it! My Drum and Bass demo is linked below!

https://soundcloud.com/mindwarp419/mindw...-bass-demo

DJ/EDM production thread

Finally got a laptop lovely dayss

Ps listening to the dnb mix pretty beast so far

DJ/EDM production thread

Quote: (07-06-2015 05:22 AM)Guitarman Wrote:  

Arkitect, I had a listen to the first few minutes and while it's ok for that type of music you have fallen into the usual trap of home recordists everywhere.

Too much going on, too many elements at once and this has the effect of making the mix sound muddy and thus lessening the impact of the drums. Also cut some low mids 150hz - 250 HZ from everything except the bass line.

I agree with this somewhat, Many artists have mastered the art of "too much going on" and make really great mixes regardless.

I actually like this, sure it's not professional sound quality but, for that you need to get a treated room to produce in and decent monitors (not krk-rokits lol).

But really the key is this: getting your mixes to sound as clear, and crisp as the professionals. That takes the right room and speakers/headphones + years of practice to really get right. Your music has to sound right on pretty much every system.

Your music style reminds me of Mr.Bill one of the pioneers of Glitch, he's got some good stuff:

https://soundcloud.com/mrbillstunes

Isaiah 4:1

DJ/EDM production thread

Haha I literally opened this thread to post this
Electrocado

Mr Bill's new side project. Listened to the first track and am digging it hard

DJ/EDM production thread

I've been a fan of this genre for over 10 years now. Sasha & Digweed was my gateway, and I've always been partial to that late 90s early 2000s progressive house sound that has sadly gone away. The BPMs have gotten slower now, but there is still plenty of quality music being made. I never quite understood the Avicii/Calvin Harris/Skrillex/David Guetta stuff that's popular among the younger molly crowd, it all sounds the same to me. I don't have a problem with them though because those guys draw huge crowds and some of them will start looking for better quality stuff at some point. Those people make their way to the parties I end up at and make for an even better experience.

Been DJing as a hobby for quite some time now, pretty much only various types of house and techno. Originally I did it just to have my own personal soundtrack as I was going about my daily business. It's still the primary reason I do it, although I recently decided to force myself to do mixes more consistently and put them up. Here's the most recent one from my soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/steveevets/the-se...4-jul-2015

DJ/EDM production thread

Quote: (07-07-2015 08:57 PM)Dismal Operator Wrote:  

I've been a fan of this genre for over 10 years now. Sasha & Digweed was my gateway, and I've always been partial to that late 90s early 2000s progressive house sound that has sadly gone away. The BPMs have gotten slower now, but there is still plenty of quality music being made. I never quite understood the Avicii/Calvin Harris/Skrillex/David Guetta stuff that's popular among the younger molly crowd, it all sounds the same to me. I don't have a problem with them though because those guys draw huge crowds and some of them will start looking for better quality stuff at some point. Those people make their way to the parties I end up at and make for an even better experience.

Been DJing as a hobby for quite some time now, pretty much only various types of house and techno. Originally I did it just to have my own personal soundtrack as I was going about my daily business. It's still the primary reason I do it, although I recently decided to force myself to do mixes more consistently and put them up. Here's the most recent one from my soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/steveevets/the-se...4-jul-2015

Nice opening. Dave DK has been a major influence on me for many years.

DJ/EDM production thread

omann open slot for a DnB DJ at a bush festival coming up, except it's the same weekend my band's playing a festival that we organised

Don't have much high quality DnB either, but I'm sure I could track some down..

DJ/EDM production thread

I'm more of a composer who happens to write in a myriad of styles, electronica being one. I enjoy writing electronica as a "break" from other forms of music (jazz, fusion, progressive rock, modern classical) that can sometimes be more like programming a spreadsheet! Here's a shot of my latest piece in the arsenal - the new Roli Seaboard, which is fucking BAD-ASS! [Image: smile.gif]

DJ/EDM production thread

Perfect home studio set up, SH. Can't wait to start building a nice collection of studio hardware and random instruments

Spent most of the morning working on some DnB. It's on the way to awesome neuro goodness, but needs a few more layers and some effects automation

DJ/EDM production thread

Awesome room. Are those PMC monitors? Can't tell but they look like them. If so, great choice!

DJ/EDM production thread

Kinda stuck, been working on a new track all night but now I'm not entirely sure where to go with it - It was supposed to be a lot heavier, but at some point took a turn down the atmospheric route (most of my music ends up doing this for some reason, even on guitar).

I'm digging the vibe, just not sure whether to try throw some slamming bassline in there or leave it nice and spacey

DJ/EDM production thread

How do you like that hex keyboard? I heard they stopped making those and was always tempted to get one, never had the spare thousands for it though.

DJ/EDM production thread

Thanks! The monitors are Mackie 626s, which are more for film scoring than conventional recording - that model was used to mix all of "The Matrix" films. The Axis 64 (the hex keyboard) is pretty cool, basically made to order, but I've not yet spent enough time with it to become super-proficient - or at least anywhere near my level on conventional keyboards, likewise with the Seaboard. I figure it'll keep me busy (along with a slew of other weird instruments not shown) in my retirement! [Image: smile.gif]

DJ/EDM production thread

I'm definitely a beginner, so I don't have much to add here except that I got a great deal for Protools:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PTSoftST

I am in no way affiliated with Sweetwater or Avid, just thought that I mention that I was able to get an academic discount and saved a ton of $$s.