rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Mistranslation - how to fuck up your game without even trying

Mistranslation - how to fuck up your game without even trying

Not sure if this goes in here or the Everything else, since it has everything to do with being abroad and speaking the language of the country you are in, I figure here is good.

For everyone who does his thing in the native tongue, how many times have you used the wrong vowel/consonant in a word and have it completely change the meaning of what you wanted to say?

I have a bad habit of switching vowels in a few words when I'm relaxed. I'd like to say it's got something to do with switching between dialects depending on who I am talking to, but honestly it's just me screwing up.

One of the most significant examples I can think of, is one that I hadn't been corrected on in a while, but had always been politely ignored after saying it and not understanding why.

I'd be talking to someone and say something along the lines of.

I haven't been to a group date before, but I'd like to check it out.
まだ合コンした事ないけどしてみたいん
Except instead of saying 合コン - goukon [combined party; mixer; two or more groups, esp. female and male students]

I would say 強姦 - goukan [rape]
Which would basically meant: I haven't tried rape yet, but I wanna try it.

The only person who actually corrected me on this was a guy friend of mine I was drinking in the park with. Dude bust out laughing spitting out the chuhi he was drinking cuz he know I'd done fucked up what I was trying to say.