rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

BJJ once aweek

BJJ once aweek

Hey all. I currently train judo twice a week. In between that, the gym and yoga when I can, there isn't much time left over in the week. Problem is, my groundwork sucks. Many people at my dojo cross-train BJJ and I inevitably flop around like a fish out of water when we do newaza (rolling). A Gracie academy is opening near my place with very reputable instructors but realistically I can only squeeze in a Saturday morning session. Is BJJ worth doing once a week, or would I be wasting my time and getting eye rolls from the regulars?

BJJ once aweek

If you can only go once, go once.

Who cares what the "regulars" think.

BJJ once aweek

I did this for awhile. I learned a good bit, but I very much regretted not getting in more time. If you can only do one day, so it, but it's very easy to get frustrated when you don't feel like you're developing as quick as you'd like.

BJJ once aweek

I believe Rickson said, "twice per week to maintain, three times per week to get better."

BJJ once aweek

Once per week really isn't enough, BUT, if you get to practice your ground work in Judo then you're getting more than once per week training in.

If you train BJJ once per week, and practice what you learned in Judo the other 2 times per week, it'll probably be worth it.

And the regulars will be cool. They'll probably be interested in your Judo and help you out more than if you were just a new guy who comes once per week.

BJJ once aweek

Who cares what the "regulars" think. It's your life and your goals. You just want to do BJJ once a week b/c you have other fitness goals? Nothing wrong with that. It's a nice change of exercise once a week. The reality is there's only 24 hours in a day and as a result, there's no one that's great at everything. The BJJ hobbyist isn't going to beat out the 19 year old who lives at home, doesn't have a job, has his meals prepped by his mom, and can train 2-3 times a day. I tried to be a powerlifter/basketballplayer/endurance athlete/badass fighter all at once, and wanted to be GREAT at all of these. It's stupid. Figure out what you want.

Civilize the mind but make savage the body.

BJJ once aweek

Quote: (06-19-2015 02:38 PM)RioNomad Wrote:  

And the regulars will be cool. They'll probably be interested in your Judo and help you out more than if you were just a new guy who comes once per week.

Truth. If there has been something that's been lacking in BJJ schools, it's Judo. And considering that you start BJJ matches standing up, it ought to be emphasized more. THen again, the butt scoot seems to work for some.

Civilize the mind but make savage the body.

BJJ once aweek

Quote: (06-19-2015 02:41 PM)nek Wrote:  

Quote: (06-19-2015 02:38 PM)RioNomad Wrote:  

Truth. If there has been something that's been lacking in BJJ schools, it's Judo. And considering that you start BJJ matches standing up, it ought to be emphasized more. THen again, the butt scoot seems to work for some.

But then we wouldn't see these flying armbar gifs where peoples legs get broken in half.

I do enjoy throwing guys who try to take up a low guard with an uchimata.

If OP's Judo dojo is anything like mine, he should be getting a good 15-20 min of newaza on top of the tachiwaca from the core of the class. That with a once a week BJJ class could be benefical to him if he wants to pay out the ass for joining so many schools.

BJJ once aweek

I miss BJJ... last time I rolled I landed on my hand wrong and bent my finger straight back at the knuckle, I barely touched it after and it shot back into place...that was 10 months ago and its still swollen looking.

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin