rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Skin cancer

Skin cancer

Any of you guys have any experience with skin cancer?

On the back of my left leg, there is an odd mole that I haven't noticed before. i'm not sure if it is evolving or changing, but i'm ready to get a knife and cut it right out.
(calling a dermatologist tomorrow)

Skin cancer

Dude, don't perform surgeries on yourself. You can can get a nasty infection and that's the last thing you want.

You are extremely unlikely to have skin cancer at such a young age. But if you are concerned about a mole, make an appointment with a dermatologist and have it checked out.

same old shit, sixes and sevens Shaft...

Skin cancer

Yeah go to determ.

An odd mole may just be an odd mole. And a changing or evolving odd mole, may just be a changing or evolving odd mole.

Wait for a real doctor to look at it, and if need be do a biopsy.

Skin cancer

Back the fuck up, put the knife down, let go of your leg, step away from the blade. Now's not the time for an episode of hypochondria.

Didn't Hugh Jackman have skin cancer for the third time now? He's fine. The drawback of growing up in sunny countries like Australia is those sunburns you get as a kid can come back to haunt you.

If you are American, I can understand your DIY stance as healthcare is expensive over there.
You are most likely not sick, however. It's just that this cancer publicity is causing mass hysteria, don't be trusting that webmd 100%.

Out of the woodwork, into the night, onto the moonlit veranda.

Skin cancer

I had a dermatologist cut out an odd mole under my chest and run a biopsy. It came back ok.

I've got other small dark spots that appear here and there over my body and face. For me, I think it's age. I'm 44.

Let the pros do the cutting and analysis. It's probably nothing bad anyways.

Skin cancer

Quote: (05-10-2015 07:53 PM)The Lizard of Oz Wrote:  

Dude, don't perform surgeries on yourself. You can can get a nasty infection and that's the last thing you want.

You are extremely unlikely to have skin cancer at such a young age. But if you are concerned about a mole, make an appointment with a dermatologist and have it checked out.

Younger people are commonly diagnosed with and die of Melanoma.
At least in Caucasians.

Skin cancer

Quote: (05-10-2015 08:41 PM)Kaizen Wrote:  

Younger people are commonly diagnosed with and die of Melanoma.
At least in Caucasians.

Nope, it is by no means common in young people. According to SEER, the most reliable registry of cancer data, the incidence of melanoma at ages 25-29 is 6 cases per 100,000, and at ages 30-34 9 cases per 100,000. In other words, your odds of getting melanoma at those ages are less than 1 in 10,000. This makes it extremely unlikely.

On the other hand, the incidence after age 70 or so is more than 10 times higher (more than 100 cases in 100,000, ie more than 1 in 1,000). Still not very common, but a big difference from 1 in 10,000.

According to the melanoma fact sheet, the median age at diagnosis for melanoma is 63. The median age at death is 69. It is overwhelmingly an older people's disease. The fact that you hear anecdotes here and there of some younger people being diagnosed does not mean it's common.

SEER melanoma fact sheet

In addition, 5 year survival probability is 91.5%. Most skin cancers are extremely treatable.

same old shit, sixes and sevens Shaft...

Skin cancer

I had skin cancer, Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Right in the middle of my forehead.

It was an uneven blotch on my forehead with an ill-defined border that looked slightly depressed. The skin was also scaly.

I got it removed via MOHS surgery 18 months ago. I have a nice little scar on my forehead now to remind me to always put on sunscreen.

Guys giving advice that you don't need sunscreen if you go Paleo are giving faulty advice in my opinion. I did Paleo and didn't wear sunscreen, and I got skin cancer. Now I always wear sunscreen and take Vitamin D pills.

Moles that change color could be melanoma. Did the mole change color? And it's needs to be jet black.

I wouldn't worry too much about it since your odds are extremely low, like what Lizard said. Nonetheless, go to the dermatologist, who will biopsy it and send it off to a lab.

Skin cancer

I had melanoma and I am in my early 30s. Luckily it was caught early. There's no reason not to just get your moles checked.

The biggest risk factor is how many blistering sunburns you had before age 15. That is what happened to me, I had a very severe sunburn around age 10. Doctors had told me I was at risk because of this, so I had been getting checked every 2 years since childhood.

They have biopsied around 10 moles through the course of my life. All were fine, except the last one which came up melanoma. Honestly the appointments are really fast, even with a biopsy (<30min). If they tell me they are going to "monitor" a mole etc I just tell them to take it off. The biopsy scars aren't noticeable and it's better to just not have to worry about it.