rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

I just received a letter in the mail saying I have a warrant for my arrest.

I believe I have a warrant because I'm on probation for reckless driving and didn't do the DUI class before the deadline because it was filled up when I signed up and also I finished the community service hours a couple days after the deadline as well. I'm broke and can't afford a lawyer. What should I do? Thanks in advance.

Either flee the country or turn yourself in.

The court has to provide you with legal aid if you so request it (Gideon vs. Wainwright).

If you're not fucking her, someone else is.

If the cops rough you up or shoot you, have someone film it so we can start a thread.

What state?

Open a new credit card and hire a lawyer. Or go to one with financing, who will start your case on credit. Either way, find a way to hire one.

Why don't you call the number (the agency) on the letter and tell them the situation and see what you can do to remedy it. There's a good chance they'll tell you to go the clerk of court, get a paper signed and take that fucking class asap.

If they tell you they're just gonna throw you in jail hire a lawyer.

They're not gonna trace the call to find out where you live - hell they already know where you live because they sent you the letter.

Whatever you do, DO NOT WAIT to do this. Shit like this compounds.

First, RELAX. This is not going to be a big deal and you will not be doing any kind of real jail time for this kind of charge. Don't panic or do anything dumb because you're feeling stressed or anxious about this.

Second, deal with this promptly. Don't let it fester.

Third, you need to get legal representation. If you absolutely cannot find a way to pay for a lawyer, you can get free representation from Legal Aid. Google Legal Aid with your state name and go from there.

If I remember from your previous posts you might be in Georgia? If so check out this website:

http://www.georgialegalaid.org/

If you are in the Atlanta area, go directly to this one:

http://www.atlantalegalaid.org/

Call them or find the nearest office and go there first thing on Monday.

Again: the keys are, first don't panic -- don't go out, get drunk, get into a fight and get arrested for something else. Some people go into panic mode when they see an arrest warrant, there is no need for that. And second, don't let it drag and fester. Find legal representation ASAP, figure out a strategy, and deal with this quickly.

same old shit, sixes and sevens Shaft...

Do what Lizard of Oz recommends. At your meeting with legal aid I would bring proof of your completing community service and (if possible) proof of trying to register with the DUI class. You will probably have to appear in court again and get yelled at by the Judge, but dealing with this swiftly and with an attorney will likely prevent the possibility of jail time.

Lol you don't need a lawyer just call a bondsman set up bond even though probably not needed and ask the sheriff or have the bonds people for a "walk thru"

You just do paperwork and leave. Then if you're enrolled in the class show proof to the judge.

Easy-Breezy

Yep, Mech is probably right. Even better.

Quote: (05-09-2015 06:42 PM)The Lizard of Oz Wrote:  

First, RELAX. This is not going to be a big deal and you will not be doing any kind of real jail time for this kind of charge. Don't panic or do anything dumb because you're feeling stressed or anxious about this.

Second, deal with this promptly. Don't let it fester.

Third, you need to get legal representation. If you absolutely cannot find a way to pay for a lawyer, you can get free representation from Legal Aid. Google Legal Aid with your state name and go from there.

If I remember from your previous posts you might be in Georgia? If so check out this website:

http://www.georgialegalaid.org/

If you are in the Atlanta area, go directly to this one:

http://www.atlantalegalaid.org/

Call them or find the nearest office and go there first thing on Monday.

Again: the keys are, first don't panic -- don't go out, get drunk, get into a fight and get arrested for something else. Some people go into panic mode when they see an arrest warrant, there is no need for that. And second, don't let it drag and fester. Find legal representation ASAP, figure out a strategy, and deal with this quickly.
I am an attorney and this advice is very good. If you do not drive you likely will not have any issues in the immediate future. Do what he said and call them on Monday first thing, be polite and calmly tell them what happened and that you do not want to run afoul the law. It is likely they will just want you to complete the class and present proof. I am not licensed in Georgia but in Florida if something like this happens you just give them a call , take the class, and show up with proof you did it and the clerk can deal with removing the warrant without even having to see the judge. Remember their goal is for you to pay for the class and make you jump through the hoops. Make sure you do it on Monday before they send someone to your address and make everything a pain in the ass.

If when you call they try to make life difficult do like he said above and call legal aid, if you are broke they will give you an attorney, but this is such a minor charge I doubt it will take more than a call to the court and taking the class. Good luck and don't stress out.

Delicious Tacos is the voice of my generation....

All the advice is good here buy the lawyer will just take your money to do what we said.

Quote: (05-09-2015 06:08 PM)JoyStick Wrote:  

I believe I have a warrant because I'm on probation for reckless driving and didn't do the DUI class before the deadline because it was filled up when I signed up and also I finished the community service hours a couple days after the deadline as well.

You oughta be arrested & charged with run-on sentencing.

Quote: (05-09-2015 06:19 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

What state?

Florida

Go to the Public Defender's office in the jurisdiction where you have the charge pending. Don't call or go to legal aid, as other posters have said. The Public Defender's office represents criminal defendants who can't afford a private attorney. Don't call the office, just go there. Nothing good will come from calling there. Trust me on that. When you get there, see if there is any way to get the Warrant quashed by filing a Motion to Quash Bench Warrant. Such a Motion is often much more effective in quashing a failure to appear Warrant than a Violation of Probation Warrant, but it is often worth trying, nonetheless. My percentage of quashing failure to appear Warrants is about 95%, maybe even more. For quashing other Warrants, I'm at about 50%. I rarely try to quash the second type of Warrant. If the Public Defender says that there is no way of getting the Warrant quashed, see if you can find out if your bond has already been set. If it has been set and it is an amount which you can pay, go turn yourself in, give the money to someone who you can trust, and have that person go with you when you turn yourself in. If the bond has been set in an amount which you can't afford, contact a bail bonds company, then turn yourself in. If no bond has been set and the Warrant can't be quashed, contact someone who you trust, and tell him or her to be prepared to post the bond as soon as you turn yourself in. If you need to turn yourself in, make sure that you bring I.D., which preferably shows your current address, and bring paystubs if you are employed. The reason why I say this is that having fixed employment and a fixed address are two of the main factors that the judge or commissioner looks at when deciding the bond. It is, of course, preferable that the Warrant be quashed, but you always need to have a Plan B, Plan C, and so on. It is always preferable to contact a competent private attorney than a Public Defender, but since you say you are broke, go to the Public Defender's office.

Quote: (05-09-2015 07:03 PM)Atlanta Man Wrote:  

I am not licensed in Georgia but in Florida...

You and emech might know each other.

skimping on a lawyer is probably one of the dumbest things you can ever do. go into debt for a few grand and put it on a credit card, or make a payment plan. especially if you're broke and making bad choices. how would the OP gotten two full (albeit unpaid) explanations above without connecting with a lawyer? and if you think the sheriffs office, clerks and even the bondsmen are sitting there waiting to offer you a high degree of cheerful customer service, well, maybe you should try and experience it.

Merenguero, why is the Public Defender's office better than Legal Aid? You're the expert so I'm sure you're right, but I'd be interested to know more if you feel like it.

Quote: (05-09-2015 07:50 PM)The Lizard of Oz Wrote:  

Merenguero, why is the Public Defender's office better than Legal Aid? You're the expert so I'm sure you're right, but I'd be interested to know more if you feel like it.

Where I am, at least, criminal defendants are not legal aid's problem. They represent people in some kinds of civil cases. I have had cases where they have represented the opposing party in domestic and breach of contract cases. The Public Defender's office represents criminal defendants who qualify for their services.

Public pretenders are too busy here and slack ass.

Will never return calls etc. You'd also need to be appointed one anyway. too late for now.

JoyStick feat. El Meckaniko:

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Quote: (05-09-2015 07:36 PM)JoyStick Wrote:  

Quote: (05-09-2015 06:19 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

What state?

Florida
Which county?

What's the over/under that JoyStick got a knock on his door from the sheriff's office after he started this thread and answered the door? The odds aren't great, but it's possible.

Quote: (05-09-2015 08:03 PM)Merenguero Wrote:  

What's the over/under that JoyStick got a knock on his door from the sheriff's office after he started this thread and answered the door? The odds aren't great, but it's possible.

They traced Joystick's IP address even though he was hiding under 5 proxies.

I got 5 on it, or two muchacos, your choice.

Cattle 5000 Rustlings #RustleHouseRecords #5000Posts
Houston (Montrose), Texas

"May get ugly at times. But we get by. Real Niggas never die." - cdr

Follow the Rustler on Twitter | Telegram: CattleRustler

Game is the difference between a broke average looking dude in a 2nd tier city turning bad bitch feminists into maids and fucktoys and a well to do lawyer with 50x the dough taking 3 dates to bang broads in philly.

Quote: (05-09-2015 07:53 PM)Merenguero Wrote:  

Quote: (05-09-2015 07:50 PM)The Lizard of Oz Wrote:  

Where I am, at least, criminal defendants are not legal aid's problem. They represent people in some kinds of civil cases. I have had cases where they have represented the opposing party in domestic and breach of contract cases. The Public Defender's office represents criminal defendants who qualify for their services.

Yep, I see. I know a lawyer who works for a Legal Aid Society and handles criminal defense cases (and always wins them it seems), so I assumed they always had a Criminal Defense division but it looks like in other parts of the country they only do civil cases as you say.