rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Strong & Fat or Weak & Ripped

I'm never able to get the best of both worlds when it comes to body building..or do I get Muscular,with large back and shoulders and big arms or I stay skinny,with less volume,but ripped with great abs.Obviously the best is to be strong and ripped but only few guys blessed by genetics or juiced are able to achieve it.
So, that made me wonder, which type may get the best results in building attraction?. A more Alpha,Strong look regardless of some abominal fat or the slender ,ripped 6 pack guy is more appealing to the ladies in general?

Chicks need to be on rotation like a Netflix queue

Quote: (05-13-2011 04:09 PM)Mr.GM Wrote:  

I'm never able to get the best of both worlds when it comes to body building..or do I get Muscular,with large back and shoulders and big arms or I stay skinny,with less volume,but ripped with great abs.Obviously the best is to be strong and ripped but only few guys blessed by genetics or juiced are able to achieve it.
So, that made me wonder, which type may get the best results in building attraction?. A more Alpha,Strong look regardless of some abominal fat or the slender ,ripped 6 pack guy is more appealing to the ladies in general?

I think it depends on how you dress. If you live in a place like Miami Beach and like wearing deep V tshirts and slimmer fitting jeans, then I'd say a more slender look the way to go of your two choices. Esp so if you like taking your shirt off at the beach. If you like getting suited up or otherwise wearing more layers of clothes, then being more swollen with less muscular definition is probably better.

Strong and Fat (bear mode!) always. I strive to lose the fat and just be strong, but I know that a six pack just isnt in my genetics. I'd rather live knowing that I'm physically much stronger then most of the population, even if it means that a fraction of the female population wont like the way I look.

Chef In Jeans
A culinary website for men

A six pack is designed and chiseled in the kitchen...NEVER the gym!

You want a six pack? Great! start hitting the cooking lessons, and visit a nutrionist to cook your own meals - not a personal trainer in a gym who wants you to knock out 300 crunches in 2 minutes on top of fat you'll never get rid of. (yes, I have my 6-pack). I do not do sit-ups or swiss ball, or any of that crap you see Tony Little advertising on infomercials at 3:00am when you cannot sleep.

I never banged any woman that does not beg to pass her tongue through the grooves in my abs....seriously.

So, a six-pack gets my vote!

Mixx

I think most people are attracted to a similar body type (slightly smaller expectations for women and slightly larger expectations for guys). How many jacked guys do you see with super skinny models? Or skinny guys with curvy girls? Just a general observation, I'm not saying there isn't exceptions. I'm super lean (6'2" 195) and I rarely even find myself attracted to thicker (not fat!) girls.

Quote: (05-13-2011 06:10 PM)MiXX Wrote:  

A six pack is designed and chiseled in the kitchen...NEVER the gym!

I never banged any woman that does not beg to pass her tongue through the grooves in my abs....seriously.

So, a six-pack gets my vote!

Mixx

Great info mixx..but in order to cut fat,you do lots of cardio (compromising some muscle volume)or you stay lifting weight,ingesting protein and controlling your fat % only by healthy nutrition?

Chicks need to be on rotation like a Netflix queue

I think most girls prefer a thin to average body build with muscles. I used to grt so mad because I'm skinny but I finally started working out to change that. I don't know about a 6 pack. I'll be happy with a good upper chest and a flat stomach

GM, thanks for raising this question? I've been meaning to ask this as well. I am 5-9", 182 pounds and lift weights like there's no tomorrow.
I've never been able to achieve a 6-pack and have noticed that even if I drop as little as 6-7 pounds of weight I start feeling weaker when it comes to power lifiting (squats, bench press, etc.). Thus the dilemma whether to be slim & cut (yet relatively weak in the gym) or be "built" with some fat around the midsection and continue to keep up with other meatheads at my rust gym.

I believe location plays a huge factor in this dilemma. If I were from a beach town then definitely the 6-pack look would be important however since I'm from Washington, DC where it get's relatively cold and wet from Dec-March I can rarely show off my gains anyways so being able to fill out a suite and have broader shoulders seems to be the preferred solution.

Having said that my skinner friends seem to always do better with women than my bodybuilder friends who throw around 60 pound dumbbells. I believe bodybuilding to a certain extent is a "shield" for guys with somewhat low self-esteem. It makes us look tough from the outside yet we might still be weak on the inside. Shoot, i've gone out so many times to popular clubs thinking that if i just post-up by the bar or crowded entrance with my tight Affliction shirt i'll get women approaching me just because of my build. Alas, time and time again I have been proven wrong. I am trying hard to change that type of thinking and be more outgoing and a better conversationalist.

Hokie, I know exactly what you mean. One of the biggest revelations that I've had since being introduced to game is that women ARE NOT as shallow as I used to think they were. I've gone into places confident that with my big arms, shoulders, and chest, with my clothes and everything looking sharp that I'd have girls throwing themselves at me. I'd end up just standing there why some overweight dopey guy was getting all the attention simply because he was more talkative.

Chef In Jeans

I think it's important to keep in mind that women aren't as visually-oriented as men. It helps to have a decent physique, but it's not required. A woman will be more attracted by your humor, confidence, and social skills than anything else. I've asked about this with a lot of the women I know and they generally seem frightened or disgusted by muscular men. There's a lot of negative associations to being muscular (aggressive, self-absorbed, meat-headed, etc.)

I think it's best to keep it simple. Try for an athletic/toned look. Do your pushups, pullups, crunches and leg lunges. Play some sports. Just go for a filled-out frame and an active look. I think it's especially important to wear clothes that fit you. What good is all the hard work if chicks can't see it?

And I don't know what peoples' obsession with 6-packs is. I think you're way too skinny if you have one those.

Weak and Ripped!
Stomach fat does not look good on anyone and can ruin a nice physique. People don't care how strong you are, I can lift two plates incline but so what.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

If it can be seen from miles away that you work out, that's not good. I think most women prefer strong and slim men over body builders where it is clear as day that they are compensating for something.

Quote: (05-14-2011 10:19 AM)CupCake Wrote:  

And I don't know what peoples' obsession with 6-packs is. I think you're way too skinny if you have one those.

[Image: magnus3.jpg]

One of the strongest men no the face of the planet, no six pack. Most of what I've read has told me that if you can see your abs you're body fat % is to low

Quote: (05-14-2011 10:30 AM)sheesh Wrote:  

If it can be seen from miles away that you work out, that's not good. I think most women prefer strong and slim men over body builders where it is clear as day that they are compensating for something.

Whats with this reoccuring idea that a man who lifts weight to gain muscle and power is compensating for something?

Chef In Jeans

I agree, 6 packs are not even physiological.

Does Chuck Norris have a 6 pack ? No.

http://youtu.be/bqzQ2qrtBeg

Quote: (05-14-2011 10:34 AM)Chad Daring Wrote:  

[Image: magnus3.jpg]

One of the strongest men no the face of the planet, no six pack. Most of what I've read has told me that if you can see your abs you're body fat % is to low

Quote: (05-14-2011 10:30 AM)sheesh Wrote:  

Whats with this reoccuring idea that a man who lifts weight to gain muscle and power is compensating for something?

I'm saying that it's cool to be strong, but if you overdo it, if you're trying to hard, it's not cool anymore. Women have a sense for this.

Quote: (05-14-2011 10:36 AM)sheesh Wrote:  

I agree, 6 packs are not even physiological.

Does Chuck Norris have a 6 pack ? No.

http://youtu.be/bqzQ2qrtBeg

Stop hating. I've had six packs when my body fat was 12 %. There's nothing unnatural about having a six pack.

Using Chuck Norris as a benchmark is absurd, that guy is a fictional character, just like Harry Potter.

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

Quote: (05-14-2011 01:20 PM)sheesh Wrote:  

I'm saying that it's cool to be strong, but if you overdo it, if you're trying to hard, it's not cool anymore. Women have a sense for this.

Thats entirely different then being a guy who just enjoys lifting and body building in general. I wont argue some guys do try to use physique as a compensation tool, much like sports cars, but dont say that any guy who focus on being strong is over compensating.

As for 6 packs, I think a lot of it genetics. We're all different, and while I no longer buy into the whole "body type" (mesomorph/endomorph) idea that we're predestined to be one way or another, I think while one person can be very health (Moma) and have a six pack, for someone like myself I cant see it happening unless my BF% was way low.

On the other hand I've had friends who didnt work out a day in their life, had a sit down job, and just were naturally thin and had a six pack, but put them in the gym and it took them months to make a little progress, while other guys will hit the weights and stack on muscle crazy fast

Bottom line, we're all different, and girls like different things. Some girls want the thing guy with the six pack, some girls want a big muscular guy.

Chef In Jeans

I think its all about genetics. Some guys are naturally big and muscular and its easier for them to get even bigger and stronger. This is a genetic advantage for them. Why not just maximize that. It would be dumb for these naturally bigger guys to try for a skinnier look and starve themselves just to get a 6 pack. It would be hard to keep a 6 pack anyways because their bodies aren't really designed for it. If a 6 pack does not come natural for you, it is usually very hard to get and keep one. Especially, if you are drinking and partying alot. You would have to be super disciplined and have an almost perfect low fat diet. A few nights of drinking and pizza could fuck up your 6 pack. Thats how sensitive a 6 pack can be, if it doesn't come natural for you.

Bottom line...If you are a big muscular guy...I don't think its worth it to lose muscle and go on a diet, just to get a 6pack, girls don't care about it that much anyways.

Personally, I am the opposite of this. I have always been kind of skinny and had a little 6 pack. I have tried to lift weights and eat alot of protein but I can never keep the muscle on because my body just isn't designed for it. I hate forcing myself to eat just to stay bigger. So I just focus on my bodies natural advantages and try to maximize the swimmer/soccer look. I am never gonna be as big as the big guys so I don't even try. I just stay lean and make sure I don't get to skinny.

Bottom line...Don't fight against your body and try to make it do things that its not designed for. Just enhance your natural gifts. For some its muscle building, for others, its fat burning. Just do what makes you feel right. Don't worry what the girls think. Half of them will like it, and half of them will not, no matter what you do. So just do you.

And of course, THE MOST IMPORTANT MUSCLE IN YOUR BODY IS YOUR TONGUE. Thats the one you should be working out the most. Seriously, for every hour you spend in the gym, you should spend 2 or 3 hours approaching and talking to girls.

Quote: (05-14-2011 01:26 PM)Moma Wrote:  

Stop hating. I've had six packs when my body fat was 12 %. There's nothing unnatural about having a six pack.

Using Chuck Norris as a benchmark is absurd, that guy is a fictional character, just like Harry Potter.

I'm not hating. Are you saying that you had a six pack without ever working out ?

The guys I've seen who are big and strong because of their genetics and don't work out have no six pack, it's only those who go to the gym imho.

Anyway, it's all about about looking naturally strong.

Oh, regarding Chuck Norris, his body is certainly not fictional.

The main reason to work out is to look and feel healthy. In my opinion it isn't important to be the strongest guy in the gym if it requires carrying a few extra pounds of fat. This of course doesn't apply if you are training for a specific sport that requires high max reps like football or competitive weightlifting. 99% of us aren't training to be in the world's strongest man competition so I think it's better to go for the toned look. I was always a little chubby as a kid so I focus on trying to tone down as I have a mid-sized frame. I'm 5'11" and weigh 170 and if I can drop about 5-7 pounds I would have a more defined six pack but still have broad chest and back. I think everyone has different goals in the weight room but it all comes down to trying to look the best that you can.

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times. Crossfit.

I think stong arms and a strong chest is where its at.

Those are the areas that will make you look strong to women, even if you dont have a six pack.

There are many guys that just happen to be skinny with very little body fat that just have six packs by default. But they still look small and weak in clothes.

Im 6'3, 230 and women touch my chest and grab my arms more than anything. If she feels safe in your big strong arms....you gotta her.

Excuses, excuses, excuses... these days there is no reason to not have an exercise routine of some kind in your life.

It's really a three piece pie: Exercise, genetics and diet. Although, I'd rather be skinny than fat. I've never been obese/overweight, but I'd imagine it would be hell.

As far as a 6 pack goes, I think it's an added bonus, but as long as you don't have a huge gut, you should be fine. Unless you do all your gaming on a beach, most women are going to notice your biceps/triceps first, followed by shoulders and chest, so those are the areas I'd focus on if you're implementing a new exercise routine.

As a guy who is built and has a 6 pack my experience is when I'm trying to pick up a chick she could care less I had abs cause hidden under my shirt she has no idea they're there but she'll see my guns and chest through a jacket so if you aren't going to be disciplined enough to get yourself into top shape then put on a little size and try to keep fat as low as possible. A gut is going to screw you but if you're just flat with some size vs skinny fat, I'd take flat with size any day. Mixx is right when the shirt comes off the girls do go crazy for the abs but unless you're the situation pulling them out every time a girl walks by they don't notice. They key is being is the no gut, if you can't pull of size without getting fat then go skinny. Second your guts over your pants you're in a bad place.

That said, don't be so quick to believe that strong and ripped are only the domain of the juiced or genetic freaks. I'm not carrying 250 pounds of mass or anything but I'm an athlete, I'm 180 with 8% bf at 6ft, on me that looks big cause its primarily muscle no filler. I have room to add mass and I am but it's a gradual process and eating clean, doing cardio, lifting like a beast, supplementing properly all are factors. You can get to where you want your body is a machine, it has tendencies, you know what they are adjust accordingly and if you want to get to your personal best set up a routine be strict and you will get there in time. When people get big and fat it's cause they've figured out to get big you need to eat big but they haven't figured out the other part of the equation or they figure out to get small eat less up the cardio but they haven't figured out how to lose fat without losing all the muscle with it. Get the best of all worlds man don't settle for one or the other if you're not happy as one or the other. Some guys like being smaller and leaner some guys are size monsters who'd rather be big with a little cushioning for the size but if neithers your choice then go after the choice you do want.

Btw guys, has anyone found an effective way to improve thickness and definition on their forearms&wrists as that is one of the most visible bodyparts. No matter how many wrist curls or hammer presses I do I still can't gain much mass in my forearms. Thanks.