rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Brussels, Belgium Datasheet

Ah Brussels. So much I can say about this amazingly confusing city. It's a patchwork of different cultures, with many districts completely Middle Eastern/North African, and others being nearly all students. The bulk of the EU institutions are located in this city, which gives reason for everyone in Europe to loathe the idea of "Brussels".

However, Brussels does have a lot to offer when it comes to nightlife. I'm not much of a daygamer, and I have noticed women in Brussels tend to stay in groups during the day due to the large number of immigrants/beggars. However, in the more affluent districts, this is less so. So for the length of this post, I'm going to focus on the different districts and how the nightlife is in each of them.

Quick Belgium Overview

Belgium may be the strangest country you ever visit. It is also possibly the most polarized country you'll ever visit. Even so, the country itself is extremely small (borders are about 4hrs apart by car from France to the Netherlands). English is heavily spoken, not because of the EU, but because of the Wallonians (French Speakers) and the Flemish (Dutch) don't want to learn each other's languages.

The Flemish are indeed much more well off than the Wallonians, which leads to even more disdain. Wallonia may be the worst shithole in Western Europe, save for Liège. Charleroi doesn't even have any hostels, possibly because it's so dégueulasse.

Anyway, Brussels is where this all meets. As mentioned, the European Union is also located in this city, which means many students journey here to find internships. There are also a good amount of universities located in this city, Vrije Universite Brussel (Université Libre Bruxelles) being the largest. There are also a few districts you should avoid, which I'll go over later. A city of this magnitude deserves a lot of information.

Language

Don't be confused by geography, this is a French speaking enclave surrounded by Dutch speakers. You should always distinguish between Bruxellois and Wallons when you're asking a girl, as they're completely different geographic entities. Sometimes, the girl will be from France. This is way too common also.

If you know a bit of French (vous parlez l'anglais? et j'aimerais des frites avec andalouse-absolument requis), you should be fine.

Everyone speaks English because they need to communicate with other Belgians from the two different regions. In truth, you won't meet that many Dutch speaking girls in Brussels, as they gravitate towards Antwerpen. Most of the people you meet will be French speaking.

Districts and Lodging

I've been to Brussels three times, the first time many, many years ago as a student, the second as a visitor, and the third to visit friends. The first two times I stayed at Hotel Meininger, which is probably the best located hotel you'll be able to find. Don't worry, it's a hostel which is named as a hotel, so it's relatively cheap. It has a built-in bar, which is great if you want to meet other travelers. It's very close to the inner city, which is where many of the bars are located. Just a word of warning, however, as the hotel is located on the outskirts of what some would consider a disgusting ghetto. Molenbeek may be the terrorist breeding hotspot of Western Europe. Even in Paris, I never saw that many people of the same geographic location located in the same place. Stay out of Molenbeek if you're drunk especially, which happens quite often in Brussels.

The second and third time I lodged via AirBnB, which allows for staying in much more well-off places, named Etterbeek and Ixelles. They're slightly further from the center, but they have lively student life. Here's an easy go-to list whenever you visit Brussels.

Districts to visit:

Grand Place, City Center: has the most touristy vibe, but the reason why most people visit this place, along with the highest concentration of bars

Ixelles: Vibrant student life and high concentration of young people

Etterbeek: ^^

Saint Gilles: Close to the Bruxelles Midi train station, also high concentration of students

Anderlecht: Never been, but heard it's relatively decent and upscale the farther out you go

Districts to avoid:

Schaerbeek: Seedy as shit. Where the pros are. Also a very, very high concentration of Muslim immigrants so there's really no fun to be had here unless you want P4P.

Molenbeek: As previously mentioned, holy shit this place is bad if you're a white person, a lot of stares. It seems like it should be a district in Algiers or Rabat, not Brussels.

Nightlife

Brussels may be the drunkest city you'll ever visit. At any given moment, you'll see professionals at bars during lunch drinking their daily Duvel or Affligem. And they have great ideas. The beer is insanely good. If you were to visit Belgium, this would be the reason.

Just to give you all a heads-up, most of the girls you meet out are foreigners who are visiting this city, and are transient much like yourself. You'll talk to some college-age students, but they are also likely from outside of the city. It's hard to find des filles Bruxellois.

Now, I'll go over two of the most popular bars/clubs.

Delirium

Don't even know what the fuck to call this place. Maybe I'll just call it a clusterfuck. Truly one of the most insane bars I've ever been to. On a busy night, it packs in probably a thousand people. It also has about 2000 different types of beers, which gives you a reason to go by itself. I loved it there, and I found it relatively easy to talk to girls also. It's very well known, so you'll get a lot of tourists also. The logistics of the place are great, as there are 5 different bars, one of which being an absinthe bar. I've seen too much funny shit happen there, between fights in all French and vomiting.

It's the place to go crazy, and perhaps pick up girls.

Celtica

A little less on the touristy side. Thursday nights are student nights where you'll be able to meet all the students from the Brussels universities. There's a huge dancefloor, and there always was a ton of girls there. I take a page out of the Gmanifesto playbook and always smoke outside with girls, which is very welcome in Belgium. Cigarettes are cheap as shit, along with the beer.

I pulled from here once, with my limited knowledge of French as the girl didn't speak English, which was a serious shocker to me. She was the exception, not the norm.

Personal Thoughts

Brussels may be one of the most interesting cities you'll ever visit. I'm not speaking of seeing the sights, but talking to the people. The Belgians are very interesting people, and they'll talk and talk and talk about how their country is broken. They'll also drink you under the table.

If you all do end up visiting Brussels, don't do it for the girls. I did pull there, but it is by no means a poosy paradise. It's a fun city with a lot of flair, and you'll make a lot of friends there and have some of the most interesting times of your life. In terms of the touristy sights, there's not much here to see, but the people make it well worth the trip.

Brussels is the place where you can relive college, in a city. And truly, nobody gives a shit, as everyone does it. Belgian beer does these things to people.

If you have any questions, I know a lot about this city so feel free.

Is Brussels worth a visit for a day sights wise? It doesn't get the best wrap.

Quote: (02-25-2015 11:39 AM)Deluge Wrote:  

Nah, not much to see here in a day. Mannequin Pis is underwhelming. Grand Place is nice, but after 20 minutes you'll be like, that's it?

The nightlife is something special, along with the beers and the fries. If you want a really really nice day trip, go to Bruges. One of the most beautiful cities in Western Europe and untouched in WWII.

Yeap, I felt dizzy when I was there (almost 2 days). Although the city is beautiful, you get a bad vibe.
Is this the reason?

With God's help, I'll conquer this terrible affliction.

By way of deception, thou shalt game women.

Diaboli virtus in lumbar est -The Devil's virtue is in his loins.

I will give you my input on Brussels as I live close and did 3 visits..its a cool city to live in I find.

Quote: (02-25-2015 01:09 PM)MrRoundtree Wrote:  

I will give you my input on Brussels as I live close and did 3 visits..its a cool city to live in I find.

Are you a Lillois? I know a few people who migrated from Lille to Brussels for internships since it's so close.

I've spent a few weekends in Brussels, and although I've enjoyed each weekend I actually rather dislike the city. Its just so spread out, and grey, and full of traffic, and the locals are...rather dour. Nothing really to see during the day either.

If you've got any contacts currently working for the E.U. though its a fun drunken place to visit. The Place du Lux on a Thursday night is just all the young stagiaires (EU interns) from all over Europe getting drunk and hooking up. Young, intelligent, and lonely. With many living away from their parents for their first time ever. Its a good combination. If you can get into that social circle (or have a friend who's in it) there are also house parties all weekend catering to the stagiaires, which are great fun.

Quote: (02-25-2015 05:44 PM)zatara Wrote:  

I've spent a few weekends in Brussels, and although I've enjoyed each weekend I actually rather dislike the city. Its just so spread out, and grey, and full of traffic, and the locals are...rather dour. Nothing really to see during the day either.

If you've got any contacts currently working for the E.U. though its a fun drunken place to visit. The Place du Lux on a Thursday night is just all the young stagiaires (EU interns) from all over Europe getting drunk and hooking up. Young, intelligent, and lonely. With many living away from their parents for their first time ever. Its a good combination. If you can get into that social circle (or have a friend who's in it) there are also house parties all weekend catering to the stagiaires, which are great fun.

I have to agree. A great city to build a social circle in, rather than a ONS city. Although it is possible. The city itself is rather disgusting, but a day trip out to Bruges will save your eyes. The nastiness of the city is a bit charming, it reminds me of Brooklyn pre-gentrification. I'm pretty sure the same thing is occurring in Brussels right now that is occurring there with all the young talent coming to the city.

Quote: (02-25-2015 11:54 AM)Aer Wrote:  

Quote: (02-25-2015 11:39 AM)Deluge Wrote:  

Nah, not much to see here in a day. Mannequin Pis is underwhelming. Grand Place is nice, but after 20 minutes you'll be like, that's it?

The nightlife is something special, along with the beers and the fries. If you want a really really nice day trip, go to Bruges. One of the most beautiful cities in Western Europe and untouched in WWII.

I'm going to be based in The Netherlands for 5 months so I was thinking about doing 1 day each in Brussels, Antwerp, Bruges and Ghent, might scratch out the former now. For a country with 11 million people and 3 different languages spoken at the heart of Western Europe, you'd think Belgium would have more to offer tourist wise.

Quote: (02-25-2015 11:29 AM)Aer Wrote:  

English is heavily spoken, not because of the EU, but because of the Wallonians (French Speakers) and the Flemish (Dutch) don't want to learn each other's languages.

[Image: tumblr_inline_mfzubxHgEq1qhkn5z.gif]

Its actually true, flemish and wallonians hate eachother and Flanders wants to separate (some of them). A lot of Flemish do learn french and can speak it pretty well but when they meet a wallonian, a french belgian or jsut a french person from France they refuse to serve them in french and give rather shitty service and rude manners.. Its very annoying

Just speak english with the flemish and you will be greeted much better.

And yes, you should go to Brussel, its a very beautiful city in the core, you can also visit the Atomium, many cathedrals, all the UE buildings, chill at les Halles St-Géry...

Quote: (02-27-2015 09:29 AM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

English is heavily spoken, not because of the EU, but because of the Wallonians (French Speakers) and the Flemish (Dutch) don't want to learn each other's languages.

I wish it was a joke, their attitudes towards each other are ridiculous.

Quote: (02-27-2015 02:13 PM)Aer Wrote:  

Still funny to me.

Nice sheet.

Although I have a feeling if I ever find myself in Brussels, it'll be for beer, waffles, mussels and frites.

Any club websites that show the talent?

WIA

Quote: (02-27-2015 02:13 PM)Aer Wrote:  

Quote: (02-27-2015 09:29 AM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

Nah, we just dont dub any movies so we all see american movies/series from young age and offcourse education wise movies>traditional schooling. So the Flemish are just more fluent in English than in French. Add the int community in Brussels to that and the average Flemish will first choose English over French, although he most likely speaks both., The Wallonians, yeah they dont speak Dutch.

I've never been to Belgium but I have yet to meet a Flemish one. The few I've meet here in the US have all been Francophones, but perhaps that's because I practice speaking only French with other people.

I've lived in Brussels for 7 years and generally avoid the nightlife places you mention. I'll take friends there who have never been here before for the tourist experience but there are better locations.

I'll expand a little with the areas worth checking out:

Districts
Ixelles Lots of nice bars, particularly around the Chatelain area. Every Wednesday there is open air market and is great in the summer. It gets really busy and the quality of the women is good. Place Flagey is also worth checking out, a diverse range of bars and a bit more of a student crowd, I take first dates around here. Cafe Belga and De Valeres are the main spots.

St Gery One of my favourite areas at the weekend. Lots of slick bars and foot traffic. During summer, most people are outside and it's easy to open and bounce to other bars.

Schuman Here you will find the EU crowd. They can be a bit cunty with an attitude. Place Luxemburg on a Thursday is a good time to go, full of interns getting hammered.

Centre The centre of Brussels has a good mix. Le Corbeau, looks like a normal restaurant in the day but at night they take away all the chairs and people go mental and start dancing on the tables. Easy to pull in here.

Clubs
Spirito Martini - Very slick looking club, used to be an old church. Door policy is strict, it can be a little bit snobby but the quality of women is very good.

Le You - This one is in the centre and a bit hit and miss. The crowd tends to be young.

Fuse - The music is pretty hardcore, stays open really late.

Bazaar - This has a kind of speakeasy feel to it, down a quiet street and you have to ring a bell before they let you in. Nice club with a varied range of people.

Mirano - Probably the biggest most well known club in Brussels. The music it a bit more R&B, door policy can be tough but the women are hot.

Daygame
Rue Neuve is one of the main shopping street so here is a decent spot for locals. Grand Place is ideal for tourists, full of girls ambling around and taking photos.

Online Game
Tinder works well here. Brussels has a very transient feel with many people on short contracts, interns and others just passing through.

Overall
Brussels is pretty bad in terms of quality, the weather is bad and it can be quite expensive. It does however have some charm, the beer is incredible, the restaurants are great and transport links to other countries are an added bonus.

Any questions give me a shout.

Quote: (03-01-2015 08:26 AM)Brisey Wrote:  

I've lived in Brussels for 7 years and generally avoid the nightlife places you mention. I'll take friends there who have never been here before for the tourist experience but there are better locations.

I'll expand a little with the areas worth checking out:

Districts
Ixelles Lots of nice bars, particularly around the Chatelain area. Every Wednesday there is open air market and is great in the summer. It gets really busy and the quality of the women is good. Place Flagey is also worth checking out, a diverse range of bars and a bit more of a student crowd, I take first dates around here. Cafe Belga and De Valeres are the main spots.

St Gery One of my favourite areas at the weekend. Lots of slick bars and foot traffic. During summer, most people are outside and it's easy to open and bounce to other bars.

Schuman Here you will find the EU crowd. They can be a bit cunty with an attitude. Place Luxemburg on a Thursday is a good time to go, full of interns getting hammered.

Centre The centre of Brussels has a good mix. Le Corbeau, looks like a normal restaurant in the day but at night they take away all the chairs and people go mental and start dancing on the tables. Easy to pull in here.

Clubs
Spirito Martini - Very slick looking club, used to be an old church. Door policy is strict, it can be a little bit snobby but the quality of women is very good.

Le You - This one is in the centre and a bit hit and miss. The crowd tends to be young.

Fuse - The music is pretty hardcore, stays open really late.

Bazaar - This has a kind of speakeasy feel to it, down a quiet street and you have to ring a bell before they let you in. Nice club with a varied range of people.

Mirano - Probably the biggest most well known club in Brussels. The music it a bit more R&B, door policy can be tough but the women are hot.

Daygame
Rue Neuve is one of the main shopping street so here is a decent spot for locals. Grand Place is ideal for tourists, full of girls ambling around and taking photos.

Online Game
Tinder works well here. Brussels has a very transient feel with many people on short contracts, interns and others just passing through.

Overall
Brussels is pretty bad in terms of quality, the weather is bad and it can be quite expensive. It does however have some charm, the beer is incredible, the restaurants are great and transport links to other countries are an added bonus.

Any questions give me a shout.

Thanks for the included information. You probably have more insight since you live there anyway. But even my friends are transient who live there, so unfortunately they know as much as I do.

When I was there I overheard a place that's in Forest, but not sure if that's relatively good or not.

Honestly I had a much better time in Antwerp, but I was only there for a few days. The girls there seemed harder to crack though.

Ok about Brussels, in my opinion it is one of the coolest city to visit in Europe because of the vibe...people are really chill and laidback compared to cities of the same size in France and we, quebecers, have a good reputation with the Belgians, It is a beautiful city at its core. There's a lot of stuff to do, I did spent one afternoon in the comic book museum when I was 22 there as I grew up with that shit (tintin, quick & fluke..). Belgians are the king of comic books (although not sure if its popular in the anglosphere but in the french countriesit is extremely popular).

Belgians don't take themselves too seriously and are pretty funny in my opinion, although the french ones are funnier than the Flemish. Wallonians and french Brusselois are easygoing and fun which is extremely nice compared to France but Flemishes are more conservative and more serious. Having ONS with a flemish is probably difficult compared to a French Belgian.

I never gamed Belgians besides on Tinder but these were flemish girls that lived in small cities in Flanders that were far from Lille so I never arranged a meetup. They have a weird sense of humor

I visited the cities of Gand, ANtwerp, Brugges and Brussel. All the cities are worth visiting only for the gorgeous architecture and the beer (all of the cities have their local beers). Antwerp and Gand might be worth a visit for pubs and nightgame but Brussel is probably better for that. Other cities that might be worth a visit are Leuven, Liege (far from Brussel though).

It is a super flat country, and it is pretty boring to go there during the winter.

I went to several places in Brussel: The delirium cafe, the bars around Halles St-Gery, Le Corbeau.. I had a lof of fun in Le Corbeau dancing with a brazilian on tables (people dance on tables there not on the floor [Image: smile.gif]). Les Halles St-Gery is a cool area where you can bounce from bar to bar and daygame/evening game girls walking.

The college years vibe of the delirium cafe is pretty true, even guys who are 30 something get pretty hammered there.

The student area is Ixelle, got a friend who stays there but I never visited.

I never pulled or did any actual gaming in Brussel but I'm sure it has some potential, Belgian girls are not the best looking girls in the world but they have pretty cool personalities. However, the actual reason to go to Brussel is to try the beers and just enjoy the time there. I'd say doing an exchange in Brussel for learning french is probably better than a quick visit, seems like a better city to live in instead of visiting, like Montreal. And because of the UE there's also a lot of interns and girls from everywhere in Europe. Also, Ryanair has a huge base there so its very easy tot ravel all over europe for a cheap price, notably in Spain.