rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Best workout programs to get in shape before summer.

Hi,

I'm working out 2-3 times a week (full body workout) for about 2 years. I definitely see results, but they aren't drastic (probably also cause they were spread in time). I started bulking up as a goal about 6-8months ago, went from 175 to 195lbs, now I'm at about 192 (86kg) at 14-15% body fat. I'm 6"1'.

Recently getting results takes longer and longer (which I think is normal since I do same thing over and over for a while already). I figured that it will take forever to get kickass body with what I'm doing now so I would like to start some time-capped, intense workout program which will help me get great muscle definition and abs before summer. After that I'm planning to come back to 2-3 times a week workout as a maintenance mode - but we will see how it will all play out [Image: wink.gif]

What workout programs with proven results would you recommend guys? It can be more time intense (4-5 workouts per week), I also don't mind it beating the shit out of me but I want it to be time limited so that I know how long I'll need to push myself - this definitely motivates me to keep going.

In other topic I've noticed someone mentioning freelitics and that's pretty much what I'm talking about but I'd like to know more recommendations as well - especially if you've went through it with positive results. Also, I can't do squats/deadlifts (back problems + the gym at my apartment complex doesn't have it and I'd prefer to workout there)

The most important thing here is going to be your diet.

You could drop to 8% body fat in 2 months easily.

What is your goal precisely?

My main goal is looking ripped with visible abs by summer (that would mean going down to 10-11% BF) without loosing (too much) muscle.

Once I achieve it, I will enter the bulking phase again or just keep maintaining what I got. I think cutting March-August and bulking Sep-Feb would be a good long term strategy for me.

8% in 2 months... that would be incredibly awesome although I think it's easier said than done. Loosing BF%, especially when you are under 10% is hard (at least from what I've heard, I think my lowest was around 11%). Do you have any specific program in mind?

I realize diet will be very critical. I'm thinking about getting one set up by a professional, but it's pretty tricky... I will need to get into caloric deficit to burn fat, but how prevent loosing muscle or perhaps even grow them without proper amount of food?

Count me in. I'm going to get back to the gym after erratic working hours caused me to lose touch with it.

Whatever you can stick to until summer.

I'd be wary of any exercise program that promotes quick results, the guy in the freeletics video looks like he took the after picture before the first one, then drank a shitload of diet coke and ate doritos to put on water weight.

Also, freeletics is bodyweight only HIT type workouts. Yeah, you'll get leaner doing a conditioning workout 4 times a week.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Quote: (02-17-2015 07:27 PM)kufu Wrote:  

I will need to get into caloric deficit to burn fat, but how prevent loosing muscle or perhaps even grow them without proper amount of food?

It's actually not tricky at all. Zero-sugar, low carb protein shakes throughout the day plus lots of meat/fish. Basically you need to keep your protein intake high to maintain muscle. The calorie deficit will take care of the fat loss.

PM me for accommodation options in Bangkok.

Also consider the more severe your caloric deficit, the more likely you lose muscle. Don't go overboard on the cut. Maybe a couple hundred calories below maintenance.

Follow me on Twitter

Read my Blog: Fanghorn Forest

Quote: (02-20-2015 02:29 AM)The Reactionary Tree Wrote:  

Also consider the more severe your caloric deficit, the more likely you lose muscle. Don't go overboard on the cut. Maybe a couple hundred calories below maintenance.

I'd say that 200 Cal is not enough. Eat an apple after your workout and your deficit is almost gone...
You can go up to a 20% calorie deficit without loosing muscle if you eat enough proteins (1.5 g per kg of bodyweight is a minimum).

I find this website about natural bodybuilding and bodyweight workouts quite interesting : http://nattyornot.com/the-minimalists-gu...ieve-more/

Keep us posted.

Quote: (02-20-2015 08:09 AM)Frater Wrote:  

I'd say that 200 Cal is not enough. Eat an apple after your workout and your deficit is almost gone...
You can go up to a 20% calorie deficit without loosing muscle if you eat enough proteins (1.5 g per kg of bodyweight is a minimum).

I find this website about natural bodybuilding and bodyweight workouts quite interesting : http://nattyornot.com/the-minimalists-gu...ieve-more/

Keep us posted.

I can summarize the whole website for anybody interested.

Quote:The Guy Who Writes for NattyorNot Wrote:

"Every single physique in the world that's bigger or leaner than me is on steroids. Every single one.

The very few exceptions have genetics that are so good they might as well be on steroids."

You have to add "If I had their genetics and/or juice I'd be twice as big. It's math.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Quote: (02-20-2015 08:51 AM)Hades Wrote:  

I can summarize the whole website for anybody interested.

Quote:The Guy Who Writes for NattyorNot Wrote:

"Every single physique in the world that's bigger or leaner than me is on steroids. Every single one.

The very few exceptions have genetics that are so good they might as well be on steroids."

True : this guy sounds like he's full of envy. But he also makes a good point :
"Arnold, in the old days was big because he was on juice ; if a guy today is at least as big as him, then he has to be on steroids."
Seems like a perfect sylllogism to me.

Otherwise, I keep saying you can go as far as 20 % of a caloric deficit to loose fat while maintaining muscle mass.

The "best" workout is the one that you are going to stick to and do religiously. (like Hannibal said)

Remember, diet is just as important as your workout. (like CrashBangWallop said)

Don't be afraid to change your workout if it gets boring to you. Keep your workouts fresh and fun!

Don't hate too hard on nattyornot.com. I do agree he's a bit spiteful, but if you dudes think you can get to arnold's size at that level of body fat then you're living a delusional life. whenever I see a dude who's 180+ at %5 bf and only 5'8 I know he's pining hard.

Nothing wrong with gear or gear users but I wish they'd just stop lying about it.

I will be checking my PMs weekly, so you can catch me there. I will not be posting.

Quote: (02-20-2015 12:39 PM)Fortis Wrote:  

Don't hate too hard on nattyornot.com. I do agree he's a bit spiteful, but if you dudes think you can get to arnold's size at that level of body fat then you're living a delusional life. whenever I see a dude who's 180+ at %5 bf and only 5'8 I know he's pining hard.

Nothing wrong with gear or gear users but I wish they'd just stop lying about it.

Yeah and a guy can live in mom's basement and post player hater comments on incel forums all day too.

If he wanted to get big that bad he should have sacked up like all the dudes he's hating on and just did steroids. Then he could enjoy all the success he feels entitled to because he's special.

I just read his "Forward" and it seemed quite sensible to me. How different is that from what MikeCF has told us about guys who make a living taking their shirt off?

Edit: Read a bit more. It seems he gained weight way too fast doing Starting Strength (I can sympathize, though he gained even more weight, so it was worse in a way) and he is probably a bit obsessed with keeping body fat low. There's nothing inherently unhealthy about 15% body fat or so, even though it might not look great.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

German Volume Training - build lean muscle fast if done correctly.