rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Home gym equipment?

Home gym equipment?

Does any of you have a home gym or workout fully or partly at home?

I checked out some options and it seems like a barbell is not that expensive but if you need 130kg+ in total weights then it quickly becomes quite expensive close to $1500.

A rowing machine would be a good option too, but a Concept 2 is also $1500.

Lastly, kettlebells say 24 kg for swings and 16 kg for one handed cleans and other stuff seems like a better choice value wise, since they only cost $100 or so.

Portable pullup bar also is an option.

Opinions?

Home gym equipment?

Get a used power cage, a barbell, flat bench and 300-400lbs of weights.

Buy used weights and keep your eyes open for deals. If you're new to lifting you probably don't need much to start with anyways so you'll have time to find some deals.

Home gym equipment?

Quote: (01-21-2015 12:06 PM)berserk Wrote:  

Portable pullup bar also is an option.

Opinions?

I've got one like this that hooks onto the top of a doorframe. It works well, but there are a couple downsides:

1. If you're a tall guy it's a pain in the ass to completely hang down because you have to pull your legs up behind you when you're using an average height doorframe. There is a benefit to this though, in that you'll never be able to really cheat via kipping with your legs behind you.

2. Depending on how much you weigh and how sturdy your doorframe is, you might break the top of the doorframe. Hasn't been a problem for me but I've heard of it happening.

3. You can really only spread your grip as far as your doorframe allows.

But I do like it because it's cheap, allows you to do chins and pulls at home without drilling holes in the wall, and I find both exercises pretty fun.

"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18

Home gym equipment?

i scored a shitty olympic bench with a barbell and curling bar on craigslist. Its not the highest quality, but when you live out in the boonies like me, having weights at home is clutch. Keep your eye on craigslist.

Home gym equipment?

Don't buy this stuff new, get it used at a small fraction of the retail price.

Stores that sell used sporting goods, CL, thrift stores, garage sales are all good sources.

I would buy the pullup bar new, but they are inexpensive.

"If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there!- Captain Ron

Home gym equipment?

I plan on having a home gym someday. If I had it right now, I would look into:
- 1 Power cage
- 1 Barbell
- 220-300lbs weights
- 1 Pull up bar (included in the power cage?)
- 1 Dip bar (included in the power cage?)
- 1 set gymnastic rings
- 3 Kettlebells (1 heavy, 2 medium)
- 1 Matted area (ideally 100sqft) for bodyweight exercises, flows, stretching, foam rolling
- 1 heavy bag

Not that you need all of this, but just to give you some ideas.

Home gym equipment?

I train from home, have done for years. I live in the countryside, so I have the opportunity to use hills/outdoors for conditioning.

That said, I have, over time, accumulated:

1 speed ball + platform - £20 off gumtree
1 floor to ceiling ball - £10 of ebay
1 heavybag - Christmas present when I was 13

1 sandbag made from an old army bergen - £12 (the dirt was free, 170lbs of weight)

1 pair scaffold trellises - picked up from the dump for free - easily strong enough to hold 250kg of weight, adjustable in height from full bottom position squat to overhead press range.

1 5ft, 7.5kg barbell (1" diameter) - free from the dump
1 benchpress - £35 second hand
220kg of weights - less than £200, picked up over time
Gymnastics rings - £60

I often set the scaffold trellises at full height, put the barbell across, and use it as a pullup bar
I use a dumbbell bar with a weight plate in the middle as an ab roller

Using only this set up, and never having set foot in a commercial gym, I have been able to squat just under 400lbs from bottom position, deadlift nearly 500lbs, OHP bodyweight, and nearly have a full range of motion handstand pressup mastered, can do 18 pullups, c.80 pushups, various gymnastic moves (backlever, etc), various sandbag feats. I don't mean that to sound like a brag, the idea is to show that for very little money indeed, you can reach quite reasonable levels of strength if you get creative. For well under £400, which is less than 2 years gym membership, I've built up a gym that has literally everything I need to be successful, and I didn't have to do it in one go, I was able to add to it over time.

Home gym equipment?

I don't know where you get $1500 for a weight set. I live in Canada and I got a 345 lbs bumper plate + oly bar set for $500. As for the advice to buy used instead of new, theoretically it makes sense, but in real life, just how often are you gonna be able to find exactly what need from enough people willing to give it up? While at a store it's readily available in abundance and at an already reasonable price new. Up to you how high and low you're gonna search, but just saying.

Anyway, all the equipment you need, in order of importance: 1) olympic bar and ~140 kg of plates, 2) power rack, 3) flat or adjustable bench (and, if you need it - rubber flooring). This will allow you to do all the important compound movements: squat, deadlift, bench press, bent over rows, standing press, chinups, etc. If you can only afford the first thing, a bar and plates, then it is still possible to work your entire body using lifts that don't require a rack and bench, namely: clean & press, bent over rows, deadlifts, clean & front squat.

Home gym equipment?

Useful and necessary equipment can be made instead of built.

Gymnastic rings for instance are really easy to make, I've made like eight or nine sets of them for maybe fifteen dollars total. It's just tow straps, pvc pipe, and the sand and duct tape and a little effort to bend them into a ring.

Sandbags are a viable alternative to barbells.

Weights generally cost about one dollar per pound, whether they're olympic or standard.

Dip stations can be built with PVC. I own one, it's great.

Power racks are a problem, though. They're not easily built if you have no welder, they're not cheap wherever you look, and you don't really want to build one out of wood. I don't own one and wish I did.

You can build a substitute for benching and squatting out of either 2x4s, five gallon buckets, cement, and a little effort, but I haven't really bothered to. You can also build an olympic type squatting stand with steel pipe and a tire.

Home gym equipment?

Most has already been said. I like this kind of pullupbar, though. It's freestanding, portable, really hard to break (350 lb limit), and it's not going to wreck your doorway. I think it weighs 22 lbs and it comes apart in 7 pieces of welded aluminum.

[Image: 31GZZc16SkL.jpg]

You can also do dips on it.

I got mine off http://www.trapezerigging.com. 200 bucks and free shipping.

It's a bit wobbly, but you can set it up anywhere the ground is flat. I have mine in my apartment with a set of gymnastic rings on them for pullups and dips.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Home gym equipment?

The equipment you get all depends on your goals. If you are after big muscles then you need weights which means a power rack, bench, bar and weights. I bet if you shop hard, buy used you can have a pretty decent set up for around $500. And don't forget the thick rubber mats to go unter this setup.

If you are looking for general fitness with some muscle gain then a couple hundred bucks should do it:
Rings
T-handle for swings
Sand bags
You can buy a couple of cheap buckets from Home Depot for farmers walks

The rings allow you to do pullups, dips, flys, rows all manner of upper body exercise. The t-handle for swings: high rep or add lots of weight for 70, 80 100# swings. Sand bags for cleans, presses and a variety of movements. Strap on a back pack with a sand bag in it and do some pullups on the rings. Lots of options and adjustability here.

Home gym equipment?

Instead of putting down rubber flooring which - even if I could find it - might not even protect the floor from heavy weight like deadlifts falling on it, I had a guy make me a felt-covered platform out of wood. If you are good with hands or have a friend who won't overcharge, it's an option.

Home gym equipment?

I scored an elliptical a few years back in exchange for a 6 pack of beer. It serves me well on cold Minnesotan days when I don't want to go outside for a run.

I also picked up a Bowflex Blaze when a buddy was moving and didn't feel like going through the hassle of disassembling/reassembling it. He paid about $700 for it originally, used it twice then forgot about it. Grabbed it along with a pull up bar in exchange for helping him move.

Neither is a replacement for an actual gym, but hey, I appreciate being able to stay in when it's -35 outside.

If you are going to impose your will on the world, you must have control over what you believe.

Data Sheet Minneapolis / Data Sheet St. Paul / Data Sheet Northern MN/BWCA / Data Sheet Duluth

Home gym equipment?

I have to echo the others recommending olympic rings, especially if you have sturdy beams in your basement or garage, or if weather isn't must of an issue, a tree branch. Keep in mind, these aren't "Olympic" grade rings, they're fitness rings and quite different from the ones gymnasts use. And probably a lot cheaper and easier to find, so that's a plus.

However, I wouldn't recommend making your own. Get wooden ones, too. They're higher quality and about $80.00. You can adequately hit your upper body with these alone. I prefer doing dips on bars because that hits my triceps more.

I got these.

https://christiansfitnessfactory.com/cff...traps.html

Home gym equipment?

[Image: chinup_bar.jpg]

One of these bad boys will come in handy. Even if you don't have the resources to get a full home gym yet, this is a pretty versatile little accessory.

Home gym equipment?

Quote: (01-27-2015 12:08 AM)OBERYN_ Wrote:  

I have to echo the others recommending olympic rings, especially if you have sturdy beams in your basement or garage, or if weather isn't must of an issue, a tree branch. Keep in mind, these aren't "Olympic" grade rings, they're fitness rings and quite different from the ones gymnasts use. And probably a lot cheaper and easier to find, so that's a plus.

However, I wouldn't recommend making your own. Get wooden ones, too. They're higher quality and about $80.00. You can adequately hit your upper body with these alone. I prefer doing dips on bars because that hits my triceps more.

I got these.

https://christiansfitnessfactory.com/cff...traps.html

I have saved hundreds of dollars making rings and basically giving them away to friends.

These homemade rings are excellent and I see no reason not to recommend them for an amateur or enthusiast. Here is a tutorial.

I used tinfoil and a bit of electrical tape to keep the sand in the pipe as it heated in the oven, and had a paint can to bend it in the proper shape. For sand you want a fine grain, very densely packed into the PVC, or you will risk kinks as this fellow did in the video.

If you thread some twine (something organic) through the PVC pipe before packing it with sand and heating it, you can tie the PVC pipe's ends together as it cools and hardens.

If it doesn't bend quite right the first time just throw it back in the oven and do it over. Don't leave it tied up as it reheats, however. Let it relax.

Home gym equipment?

I ditched the gym membership and I couldn't be happier; however, it is not for everybody. It all depends on many factors, the most important being where you live which will indicate the gym options available for you including hours of operation, membership cost, location and travel to and from, equipment available and environment. Another important factors are how much space you have at home, your dedication to lifting and your budget.

In my case, I prefer to work out in the evening or at night. After about 4 years of slowly start to getting in the habit of working out, I tried pretty much everything. Started out at home just doing exercises without weight and then gradually started using low weight dumbbells. About two years into that, I joined a gym. I had a gym membership that costed my around $27.00/month at the local university (special alumni rate.) Started doing basic exercises with the machines and some with the barbells but I was not aware of the main four lifts: squat, deadlift, shoulder press, bench press. After about a year, I learn the importance of the main lifts and gradually started to learn them and include them in my routine. From there, I started only doing the main lifts. I know I started backwards, as I recommend to any man starting lifting today to learn, master and love the main lifts.

So basically, I am mainly a four lift man; and here and there I do pullups, chinups, and dips. So, I found myself going to the gym and only using the power rack and bench. Travelling to and from the gym I was spending an hour a day, and with only four power racks available at the gym I found myself always waiting anywhere from 15 mins to half an hour. Of course, you talk to the regulars while waiting but still a waste of time for the most part. On top of that, as per new rules, I was going to have to spend $2.00 a day for parking, so 2x4x50; would translate to $400.00 more a year, raising the membership to 27x12 + 400 = $724/year.

I also started a new business and that requires a lot of time and effort, minimum 14 hours days, and there is not better way to wind down than a workout after a long day of sitting at the office.

That is when I started seriously thinking of a home gym. I purchased a rack, a barbell and weight plates. Did not purchase a bench yet. This is the equipment I've got.

Squat rack: $229.99 when I bought it
http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Power-Squat-...ge_o03_s00

The rack is sturdy and pretty good quality, more than enough for my max of 315 lbs. I put together in less than one hour.

Barbell: $209.00 when I bought it
http://www.wright-equipment.com/20kg-oly...ar-v2.html

SPRING COLLARS: $9.99

Plates:
(2) 2.5 lb. Gray Olympic Plate $2.50/each, 5.00
(2) 5 lb. Gray Olympic Plate $5.00/each 10.00
(4) 10 lb. Gray Olympic Plate $10.00/each 40.00
(2) Wright Crumb Bumper Plate 25lb $33.75/each 67.50
(2) Wright Crumb Bumper Plate 35lb $47.25/each 94.50
(2) Wright Crumb Bumper Plate 45lb $60.75/each 121.50
(2) Wright Crumb Bumper Plate 55lb $74.25/each 148.50
TOTAL $ 705.99 <= plates + barbell

Shipping was $22.53

So basically for under $1,000 you get your own "gym". If following the route I was going, I break even in about one year and a half. I neglected the bench press because I had a really bad bicep tendon injury, so I have been doing low weight, high reps floor press. After eight month, the injure is almost cured, I feel almost no pain now; so time to start thinking of buying a bench; you can find in amazon a decent one for $130.00 or so ( http://www.amazon.com/Universal-5-Positi...ench+press )

The liberty I have to work out when I want is the biggest plus for me. An early day I can work out at 8PM and a late day I can work out at midnight. There is not need to drive, to wait, or even to get dressed; most days I just work out in my underwear and a t-shirt. I would not have it any other way; if it all possible, I would never go back to the gym.

[Image: nlwu46.jpg]

[Image: ao8k02.jpg]

[Image: 2ensw9h.jpg]

I hope this helps any of you that is thinking of a home gym.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
— Robert Heinlein

Home gym equipment?

Watch out for gym auctions, gyms close all the time and they unload their equipment at big discounts. I personally hate working out at home, the gym is my escape from all the shit waiting for me at home and the office. I did however grab a step mill cause I got tired during prep of trying to get to the gym a couple times a day to do cardio. Same model new costs about 3k and I got it for just under 400 bucks and it was just a few months old. The auctions dont come up everyday but you can steal some equipment for cheap.

Home gym equipment?

Well, the rack was very affordable and for my purpose is excellent. After 9 months of using it it proved very sturdy and I also use it for pullups and chin ups. I am 5'7" so I also use it for shoulder press, if you are 5'10" I think the bar will hit the top part of the rack ...

I tried craiglist for a couple of months and I did find good sales nor real savings.
375 pounds of plates for $487.00; where the heavy weights are not metal, so I can do the deadlifts at my garage without needing a platform. It works out to be $1.30/pound. I tried craiglist but people didn't want to get ride of their weights for less than $1.00/pound.

The bar is an extremely important part of the equipment. Do not purchase a used bar, never, specially from a gym; you are almost 100% guaranteed to buy a mistreated bar, out of balance .... truly, I think the best $1000.00 I ever spent in my life.

However, if you do find a sale by all means take advantage of the opportunity. However, they are very hard to come by.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
— Robert Heinlein

Home gym equipment?

I spent quite a bit on a garage gym. Crossfit gyms are about $100/mo, so even buying top flight Rogue equipment, the ROI came soon enough. I would agree that you should buy the absolute best bar you can afford as it will be with you a long time.

One of the best purchases I have ever made in my life.

Home gym equipment?

I bought a home gym. It cost me around 900€.
At the time I bought it, the closest gym charged minimum 70€ per month. I used it long enough to achieve break even.
Unfortunately I moved out of my parents, but the gym remains and when I have a good place for the gym, I will move it.
I got the rack of ebay. Not the best, but i dont plan on squatting more than 200kgs anyway. Around 350€ with shipping
I got the 150kg weight set for 300€ from decathlon. The bar is not the best, but is good enough.
90€ for a good bench
etc etc.

Invest on a decent rack, decent bar, bench and floor.
The weights, you can buy used.

If you want a rower, you can get a 2nd hand concept 2.
I also bought a kettlebell but i did not like it, so I sold it.

Advice: If you later decide to buy dumbbells, buy also Olympic dumbbells so you have interchangeable plates.

Home gym equipment?

For those trying to piece their own home gym together, you can use Google Alerts to find deals on Craigslist and other local classified ads websites.

Sign into your Google account and go to Google Alerts.

https://www.google.com/alerts

Then create a new alert. It should look something like this, here are some examples:

weights site:mytown.craigslist.org
weight bench site:mytown.craigslist.org
squat rack site:mytown.craigslist.org

Where "mytown" is above in the search string, substitute the local prefix for craigslist in your area. For instance, in San Francisco it would be:

sfbay.craigslist.org

Check to see if there are other local classified ads websites in your area, and setup search strings there too.

Using this method and setting up a bunch of alerts will help you get first dibs on gym gear, and you can build your system over time if you're on a budget.

John Michael Kane's Datasheets: Master The Credit Game: Save & Make Money By Being Credit Savvy
Boycott these companies that hate men: King's Wiki Boycott List

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Home gym equipment?

Buy a decent jump rope. Learn how to use it, and do 30 minute workout with a boxing timer 8x 3m rounds, 1m rest

The jump rope is the best conditioning tool there is. It will give you a faster 5K. It will make your feet, ankles, achilles tendon, lower legs virtually injury proof. Much safer and more effective than running. And, it will melt fat off your body. Ross Enamait is good for programs and info on how to train effectively.

Home gym equipment?

Also check out the app called "Offer Up" for used weight equipment. It's more user-friendly than Craigslist and the negotiation/logistics are not as clunky since you message via the app's chat platform.

Home gym equipment?

Tried Offer Up before, but there were hardly any active users/ads in my area. YMMV. Craigslist and local classifieds are the way to go IMO.

John Michael Kane's Datasheets: Master The Credit Game: Save & Make Money By Being Credit Savvy
Boycott these companies that hate men: King's Wiki Boycott List

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. -Albert Einstein