rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How long did it take you to get a "good" body?

Hi all,

Keen to hear some success stories here.

By "good" I mean the point where your started feeling good about your physique.

Any details on method/starting position/results also much appreciated.

I'm a skinny fat 5' 9" 168pounds, nearly 28 year old. I used to be a running addict and love it. I am looking to first drop ten pounds then start trying to put on some muscle.

I know I now have the discipline to keep this up. Something I didn't have when I was younger.

I was 6'1 165lbs and skinny fat 03/2013. Started doing construction and eating good around that time. Got up to 185 by 11/2013 when I got my gym membership. 11/2014 I was 205 lbs and finally starting to be happy with what I saw. Ive still got a good bit of body fat - roughly 15%.. but I am a hell of a lot bigger, stronger and aesthetic. I suggest jumping right into lifting and forgetting about dropping weight/fat. With a proper program you will gain weight but become more aesthetic as you progress. Recomposition over time vs. Dropping weight over a few months then trying to bulk up. I'm only now starting to watch my calories/macronutrients in an attempt to lose a few BF%. Something I suggest you do from the beginning; not necessarily to lose fat right off the bat, but to ensure you're hitting macros/calorific surpluses to maximize gains.

FYI I started with pure upper body workouts then started following strong lifts 5x5 for 5 months and have now started a 5 day split routine. I'd start with stronglifts (and some HIIT to satisfy your love for cardio if you see fit)if I could start from square one again. Establish a reasonable strength base then move over to a split IMO.

The biggest thing is to start ASAP as results take time.. I'm only 14 months or so into lifting consistently and can see it being as long or longer until I really get in the ballpark of where I want to be.

Conceived to beat all odds like Las Vegas

It should take you your entire life, because you should always be improving.

I started fat. 5'9"+ 30+% bf at like 198lbs, in my early forties. Did Starting Strength and went Paleo, took 2 years to be "normal" the last two years however have been amazing. I'm actually ripped now. I started 3on4off then switched to 6on1off in the past two years. Made all the difference. I probably train 10-11 hours a week. I'm now 185lbs @ 8% bf

Quote: (01-20-2015 12:42 AM)ThrustMaster Wrote:  

I started fat. 5'9"+ 30+% bf at like 198lbs, in my early forties. Did Starting Strength and went Paleo, took 2 years to be "normal" the last two years however have been amazing. I'm actually ripped now. I started 3on4off then switched to 6on1off in the past two years. Made all the difference. I probably train 10-11 hours a week. I'm now 185lbs @ 8% bf

That's amazing. Well done fella.

Lets put it this way. Getting in shape is ALOT harder than staying in shape.

Getting in shape can take years

Iv been working on my body my entire life and Im still not satisfied, in fact, Ill never be satisfied

Getting in shape isnt just a phase, it needs to be a lifestyle. Thats the only way you can maintain a good physique.

When you are in shape, you feel good, you look good, and you should dread ever losing what you have gained.

Once you feel good, you will start to realize that your cravings for shit food fade. In fact, you will start to crave healthy food. The healthy food is the catalyst to how you look.

There is nothing better than putting in hard work, and seeing results. Its a high.

Did you have problems with flabby skin on the belly and other part of the body due to going from 30% to 8% in your 40's? I am 50, and when I lose the rest of my fat, I expect I'll need a tummy tuck. I've added a lot of muscle, so I don't have droopy skin under my arms, but my belly is getting smaller, and I can tell I have skin to spare.

I'm the tower of power, too sweet to be sour. I'm funky like a monkey. Sky's the limit and space is the place!
-Randy Savage

Quote: (01-20-2015 03:42 AM)sandman972 Wrote:  

Lets put it this way. Getting in shape is ALOT harder than staying in shape.

Getting in shape can take years

Iv been working on my body my entire life and Im still not satisfied, in fact, Ill never be satisfied

Getting in shape isnt just a phase, it needs to be a lifestyle. Thats the only way you can maintain a good physique.

When you are in shape, you feel good, you look good, and you should dread ever losing what you have gained.

Once you feel good, you will start to realize that your cravings for shit food fade. In fact, you will start to crave healthy food. The healthy food is the catalyst to how you look.

There is nothing better than putting in hard work, and seeing results. Its a high.

This. I also think that, whilst you realise when you've reached a point where you're bigger than a lot of your friends, or fitter, or stronger, or however you're keeping score, none-the-less, you yourself are unlikely ever to be satisfied.

Even though you'll look good to other people, and they'll point out that you're covered in muscles (which is fleetingly satisfying, but no more), you yourself will always know where you could add a bit more muscle, or be a bit leaner, or whatever.

If you're looking for some arbitrary guidelines though, I found I got a lot of positive comments at the point I could:

Run a six minute mile
Do 10 x 100m sprints, using the time it took to do 20 pressups as rest
Spar 12 rounds
Squat 300lbs from bottom position
Deadlift 400lbs
Do a few headstand pushups (start in a headstand, push up to a handstand - no stretch effect)
Knock out 50 pushups any time
Do 12+ reps for multiple sets of chinups
Row bodyweight (90kg) for 10 reps

I think these are somewhat arbitrary, because they only reflect my goals, which are largely performance based, but I remember achieving these all around the same sort of time, and the openly positive feedback happening simultaneously.

Quote: (01-19-2015 11:25 PM)jbkunt2 Wrote:  

I am looking to first drop ten pounds then start trying to put on some muscle.

Wrong. You should start working out already now. It's the magical beginner time, you'll actually to put on muscle and get stronger even while losing weight if you're an absolute beginner.

If you do it properly, you can expect REALLY noticeable results in the first year already

3 years, you must slowly clean up your diet too, it takes time to build discipline and good habits.

Quote: (01-20-2015 03:44 AM)RoastBeefCurtains4Me Wrote:  

Did you have problems with flabby skin on the belly and other part of the body due to going from 30% to 8% in your 40's? I am 50, and when I lose the rest of my fat, I expect I'll need a tummy tuck. I've added a lot of muscle, so I don't have droopy skin under my arms, but my belly is getting smaller, and I can tell I have skin to spare.

I am fortunate that my skin tone has adjusted. I do have what looks like suture lines bilaterally on my high inner thighs, these are no doubt stretch marks, but nothing else is noticeable. They are barely noticeable and I have thighs of steel™ now.

My biggest concern had been between my neck and chin, a part of my body I considered surgery for at one time - it's now resolved itself.

One should note that 30% bf is barely uncommon. No one would have ever called me fat. see: http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body...men-women/ there are graphical calculators out there as well.

I'll say this being more fit than 20 year olds is like crack. I have large shoulders and forearms and am very vascular now - i now poses the body I should have all my life - I'm just sad that I didn't get off my ass in my 20's.

Thanks for the excellent responses.

I started stronglifts 5x5 yesterday. So sore today. Feels great.

I am certain that I will keep this fantastic hobby up.

Welcome to the fray, and remember: Friends Don't Let Friends Skip Leg Day

[Image: 76bb80c393fd9ebfb03f556ec6fa5d9e.jpg]

Quote: (01-21-2015 08:23 PM)jbkunt2 Wrote:  

Thanks for the excellent responses.

I started stronglifts 5x5 yesterday. So sore today. Feels great.

I am certain that I will keep this fantastic hobby up.

I went from 200 lbs zero muscle to 178 lbs with noticeable muscle and slight sixpack in a year working out 2-3 times a week for an hour or so.(I'm 6'1)

It's really just going from kinda athletic to jacked that's difficult. I'm at 190 lbs now but it's hard to push myself to improve

Would be useful if people posted their ages when talking about transformations. T levels (higher at younger ages) have a lot to do with quick success and without the knowledge of your age group a beginner might get discouraged at their own progress as a result.

jus'sayin'

Quote: (01-22-2015 11:00 AM)Sonoma Wrote:  

It's really just going from kinda athletic to jacked that's difficult. I'm at 190 lbs now but it's hard to push myself to improve

Yep. Also, what type of body you started with. I had a friend who always joked I was genetically enhanced, because I always looked good with my shirt off.

Of course, because I always looked decent I was lazy, and you can only look decent without lifting at all, so from 18-30 I never lifted and really missed out on both the body (=women) and the discipline*. I looked ok but nothing special. I started lifting last year. At 5'9" 160, I started just short <30 min lifting and saw pretty good results within 2 months.

Personally, I workout to feel better. I'm less "down" (pseudo-depressed) than I was the previous two years. It's why Roosh is right, if you're struggling with confidence or self-esteem, gitcho ass in the gym...it changed my life. The improved body is a side benefit, though this keeps me from actually getting jacked.

I play bball 3-4 times per week and manage to lift ~3 per week.

*Edit: It's like the naturals vs non-naturals. There's always a cost to being a natural in anything.

“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”

Great answers, yes it takes a lifetime and you are never satisfied.

Bear in mind over time you will age, which means your metabolism will slow down. Therefore you have to put more of an effort in the gym to get the desired look you want.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

Quote: (01-22-2015 01:00 PM)rudebwoy Wrote:  

Great answers, yes it takes a lifetime and you are never satisfied.

Bear in mind over time you will age, which means your metabolism will slow down. Therefore you have to put more of an effort in the gym to get the desired look you want.

Sometimes aging is a good thing in terms of metabolism. I found it hard to put on a size until my late twenties.

It took me over 20 years to get a "good body". (age 13 to 35)

I had many trials and errors. I made many, many mistakes.

I wasted most of my workouts in my teens and 20s.

Don't be like me!

AGGRESSIVELY seek out help and guidance.

In my 30's, I finally figured out what to eat, how to train, how to rest, etc.

In fact, I'm still learning everyday.

^^^^

Absolutely true. Seconded!

If all goes well, I'm hoping to have something I can be happy with by late spring-early summer. My aspirations are modest - stop being skinny fat - and yet due to the persistence of my bad genetics and due to bad programming my goals have been frustrated to date. Hopefully what I have learned in the last two years of spinning my wheels will come in handy in transitioning from the bulk I'm on to the arduous cut that's ahead of me.

I'm no Adonis but one thing I know is that dropping fat first to 10% bodyfat or lower is a major ego boost. At that point you probably have visible abs or at least a flat stomach and objectively have a better body than 90% of men. Also, when you have low bodyfat, it is much easier to see the gains you are making. If you still have 18% bodyfat, whatever muscle you do build is hidden under a layer of fat and this is discouraging.

In your position OP, at 5'9 168, and depending on what muscle mass you already have, I think it would take 2-3 dedicated months of losing a pound per week to achieve an objectively 'good' body. From there, it will take many years to sculpt it into art.

Founding Member of TEAM DOUBLE WRAPPED CONDOMS

Quote: (01-22-2015 09:56 PM)civpro Wrote:  

and yet due to my bad genetics

No. Stop using that bullshit excuse. Some Auschwitz survivors probably also had bad genetics but they did manage to lose weight when being in a caloric deficit, didn't they?

Quote: (01-22-2015 10:41 PM)Switch Wrote:  

I'm no Adonis but one thing I know is that dropping fat first to 10% bodyfat or lower is a major ego boost. At that point you probably have visible abs or at least a flat stomach and objectively have a better body than 90% of men. Also, when you have low bodyfat, it is much easier to see the gains you are making. If you still have 18% bodyfat, whatever muscle you do build is hidden under a layer of fat and this is discouraging.

In your position OP, at 5'9 168, and depending on what muscle mass you already have, I think it would take 2-3 dedicated months of losing a pound per week to achieve an objectively 'good' body. From there, it will take many years to sculpt it into art.
And this is true too. When I started out, I was skinny fat. Conventional wisdom on all fitness forums is "Bulk hard brah or you'll be skinny when you've lost the fat!". I didn't care though, started working out while also being in a 500 cal deficit. OF COURSE you'll become a lanky skinny guy when you lose that fat, that's who you are, but at least you then have a good foundation to start bulking off of (and you can absolutely make some strength and muscle gains even in a deficit as a beginner). You gotta realize: when you're skinny fat, you're basically already 18% or more bodyfat, you just don't realize it. If you start bulking, you'll fastly climb into 20%+ territory and will simply become fat and it'll take a year or more to lose all that fat again. Better lanky and lean at first that fat and.... maybe buff, but no one can be sure since you're so fat

The first 12 weeks was a huge difference for me. At the six month mark, I was very happy with my body. People started asking me if I work out. Hell, yeah, I was going to the gym six days a week (two days for only cardio) and following the right diet (as much as possible).

When I decided to get into this seriously, I started reading many websites. There were conflicting information. I even read the science articles cited on the websites to check whether I can trust the experiment methods. I was finally convinced that I can loose fat and gain muscle at the same time, and devised a program for myself. And it worked. At the time, I concluded that many different plans would work. Anyway, I was influenced by this guy (but did not strictly follow his plan and diet):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/articl...weeks.html

While starting, my body looked like his week 1 body so it was not too bad. I also went over these transformation stories. I find some useful ones.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.p...sformation

Things are subjective, of course. I dont try to look too big, nor I want to even squat or deadlift more than my body weight. My first priority is not to get injured! I dont follow "bulk and cut" so I slowly gain muscles (the first 12 weeks was fast). It has been more than two years now, and I am very happy. Due to travel, I sometimes cannot be in my best but I follow a strict diet after the travel or whenever possible--

I do not claim that my way is the best way or anything like that. I feel good about myself, and this is what matters. Good luck with your workout/diet.

Quote: (01-20-2015 12:42 AM)ThrustMaster Wrote:  

Please explain "3on4off", "6on1off".
I'm also doing starting strength, but the program mandates 3 times a week, workout A, workout B alternating.
Thanks.