rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

San Sebastian, Spain (Basque Country) Datasheet

San Sebastian, Spain

[Image: 16031595058_662b0c40fe_o.jpg]

Overview:

San Sebastian (Donostia in the Basque language) is a small city located in northern Spain on the Atlantic coast in the Basque Country. It's a beautiful city situated with beautiful architecture, churches, lush green trees, and mountains. It has 2 main beaches separated by a river flowing through the middle of town, splitting the two main parts of the city. I had the pleasure of studying in this beautiful city and loved it. The best things about San Sebastian are the beautiful Spanish girls, mix of Spanish/Basque culture, amazing food, incredible logistics (you can walk throughout the whole city easy), great nightlife, incredible scenery, many university students: local and international, great beaches, and surfing. The worst thing about San Sebastian is it can be too small at times, and if you live there, you will run into people you know and girls you have been with before. Be forewarned, but always just play it cool and you'll be fine. The Spanish are super relaxed and always just want to have a good time. The weather also turns for the worst and rains constantly come November. Come in the summer. It's paradise.

Women:

Spanish women are some of the most beautiful women I have ever seen. I was lucky enough to be able to travel throughout Europe while I was living there and I was always excited to come back to San Sebastian for the girls. When people think of Spanish girls, some may think of Latinas. Get this out of your head as for European Spanish girls are completely different. They are nothing alike. They are usually taller, slimmer, not as dark, and possibly a little more closed off than their Latina counterpart, but they can also be really friendly. Plus their Spanish spoken sounds greatly different as well. You can meet Spanish girls with blonde hair and blue eyes, but mostly you will come across the more typical brown hair and brown eyes (sometimes brown hair w/light eyes). I would vaguely label them as in between European look and Latina look, but slightly closer to European look. Spanish girls love their friends and always spend time with their friends, so this can be an issue for isolation. Make sure her friends like you, or you will not likely have a chance. The level of English in Spain is supposedly one of the worst in Europe, so be prepared to meet some girls you will not be able to communicate with if you don't speak Spanish. But I would say most speak at least a little English. Also, most Spanish girls smoke cigarettes, so keep that in mind.

Game:

Chances of hooking up will be better in the summer months when the weather is great and their will be more European tourists as well. Approaching as many girls as possible is a good strategy as there are many. If an interaction doesn't go well, don't worry, there is probably a hotter girl 10 feet away. The Spanish girls love to dance and sing so have a fun and mellow vibe and bonus points if you can dance well (keep in mind the Spanish girls don't dance much like the American way e.g. griding, etc.). You can be aggressive in the clubs and bars with music, but keep it more mellow on the beach or in bars that are serving food.
Nightlife is probably the best bet for a quicker lay, although there are many opportunities to meet sexy Spanish girls during the day as well. Don't even bother with online dating. Very few girls actually have Tinder, OKC, and the ones that do barely even use it.

Nightlife:

On Thursday nights, start in the neighborhood of Gros, the neighborhood closest to Playa Zurriola. Here every Thursday night is Pinxto Pote- where you can grab a pinxto (Basque tapa) and drink for 2 euros. During the summer months you will find almost the whole town here; locals, international students, and tourists, all enjoying great food and drink and eating and drinking on the streets. There are many cute girls here. After this, head to Parte Vieja- the old part where there are supposedly the most bars per square meter in the world. Not sure if this is true but I can attest that there are an incredible amount of bars here in a very small area. Grab cheap drinks here and hop around all the bars or hangout in the streets while having a beer. Head to Bataplan Disco around 2-3 in the morning to dance and talk to sexy girls until 7 or 8 in the morning.

Egarri: Located in Parte Vieja. Small little bar with cheap drinks and lots of international/Erasmus students mixed with some locals.

Arkaitzpe: Cool little two story joint with 2 dance floors where you'll find cute local Spanish girls. Crazy on Saturday nights. Parte Vieja.

Iguana: Located in Parte Vieja. Cheap drinks and sometimes themed nights aimed to get Erasmus students to drink on the weeknights.

Rotonda Disco: Located in on Playa de la Concha. Don't go unless you like a bunch of underaged Spanish highschool kids completely trashed. This is the only joint where they let underaged kids go to drink and party. I went once and was one of the oldest ones there.

People Disco: Disco right on Zurriola Beach. Never went but it's one of the bigger discos.

Bebop: Right on the otherside of the river from Gros at the beginning of Parte Vieja. They have good live music here featuring jazz, reggae, etc, and open mic nights. Cool vibe. Go here to get away from EDM and Spanish pop music.

Molly Malone's: Irish pub all the international students go to before Bataplan. Located right across the street from Bataplan Disco. Packed on Thurs and Saturday nights with Karaoke.

Bataplan: The best disco in town. Located right on Playa de la Concha. Big back patio where you'll find the Spanish casually rolling and smoking spliffs like no big deal. Decently sized with great talent. Saw some of the cutest girls of my life some nights here. Poppin' Thursday and Saturday nights.

Personal Experience:

I lived and studied here for four months and had some of the best times of my life. Had many good nights and can't wait to go back one day.

Bottom Line:

An amazingly beautiful city with great scenery, beaches, beautiful girls, great culture, incredible food, and good times. Walk the city during the day, check out the topless beaches, grab pinxtos in the evening, and hit the never ending amount of bars in parte vieja at night. It's hard to have a bad time here if you come at the right time.

San Sebastian is a great city and the food is very good, if a little overrated (and the popular pintxos bars are way too crowded most of the time). It's also one of the more expensive cities in Spain with very unstable weather even in Summer. This does keep away the bottom feeders though (backpackers, binge-drinking teen tourists etc), which can be either a good or bad thing depending on what you're looking for. So I'm also a bit surprised when you talk about "grabbing cheap drinks" in Parte Vieja, when a few drinks and 1-2 pintxos will easily run you anywhere from 5-15 euro and you're always visiting at least a few of them.

In my experience the Basques are less insular and more worldly than Andalusians (owing to their culture and location in Europe no doubt) but the Basque girls have a reputation in Spain for being stuck up and hard to get in general. I got a few lays from social circle and didn't really do any serious approaching during my 2 weeks there so I can't really provide any conclusive opinion but it's something to keep in mind.

Quote: (01-07-2015 08:52 AM)atlant Wrote:  

San Sebastian is a great city and the food is very good, if a little overrated (and the popular pintxos bars are way too crowded most of the time). It's also one of the more expensive cities in Spain with very unstable weather even in Summer. This does keep away the bottom feeders though (backpackers, binge-drinking teen tourists etc), which can be either a good or bad thing depending on what you're looking for. So I'm also a bit surprised when you talk about "grabbing cheap drinks" in Parte Vieja, when a few drinks and 1-2 pintxos will easily run you anywhere from 5-15 euro and you're always visiting at least a few of them.

In my experience the Basques are less insular and more worldly than Andalusians (owing to their culture and location in Europe no doubt) but the Basque girls have a reputation in Spain for being stuck up and hard to get in general. I got a few lays from social circle and didn't really do any serious approaching during my 2 weeks there so I can't really provide any conclusive opinion but it's something to keep in mind.

When I refer to grabbing a few cheap drinks in Parte Vieja, I'm mostly talking about the bars and bar/club places in Parte Vieja that are not serving pintxos. This can be pretty cheap, relatively speaking.

It is true San Sebastian is the most expensive city in Spain, but this keeping out the bottom feeders I think is a good thing. It keeps the city clean and authentic. It's still pretty far away from American influence I would say with only one McDonald's and no other fast food restaurants, and mostly Mom & Pop/Family owned joints and businesses.