rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Korean airline chairman's daughter turns plane around over bag of nuts

TLDR: Daughter of airline CEO goes apeshit because she didn't like how some macadamia nuts were served to her, and orders the plane to turn around to kick off the chief steward. Koreans flip out, and she is forced to resign her (nepotistic) position.

Korean Air Executive Resigns Post After Halting Flight Over Snack Service

Quote:Quote:

Drunken and boorish behavior, cellphones, crying children and reclining seat backs have all led to flight rage. But a bag of macadamia nuts?

Criticism has come nonstop for Korean Air Lines since it was discovered that one of its executives had ordered a flight from New York to Incheon, South Korea, to return to the gate to kick a senior staff manager off the plane in a tiff over how the executive was served the nuts.

This was no ordinary executive on Korean Air Flight 86, as it turned out: Cho Hyun-ah was not only in charge of in-flight service for Korean Air, but is also a daughter of the chairman of the family-run conglomerate that operates the airline.

[Image: thumb_thisthreadisworthlesswithoutp.gif]

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

[Image: temper-tantrum-o.gif]

"A stripper last night brought up "Rich Dad Poor Dad" when I mentioned, "Think and Grow Rich""

[Image: 1418138993521.jpg]

Be careful what you wish for.

wnb

[Image: 2013052900756_0.jpg]
[Image: 1418083907875.jpg]
[Image: 0812_cho_sp.ashx?w=718]

"Me llaman el desaparecido
Que cuando llega ya se ha ido
Volando vengo, volando voy
Deprisa deprisa a rumbo perdido"

[Image: 1418083907875.jpg]

2/10. Would not let her have my bag of nuts.

[Image: banana.gif]

^^^ Surprised she never got a nose job like a lot of Koreans...then again her father may have kept her that way so at least he would recognize her.

Quote: (12-09-2014 08:23 PM)WalterBlack Wrote:  

^^^ Surprised she never got a nose job like a lot of Koreans...then again her father may have kept her that way so at least he would recognize her.

I don't think a nose job alone could salvage her.

But yeah, I was hoping it would be the cute girl from the ads. In which case I'd be slightly more tolerant of her entitled behavior.

[Image: attachment.jpg23434]   

[Image: attachment.jpg23435]   

Pretty no, WB yes.

WB no, WM (would marry) yes.

She's got to be among the richest women in the country, thanks to daddy

[Image: Excited-Exciting-So-Excited-Excited-woma...an-GIF.gif]

Clearly, what she really needed were some Aziz Nuts in her mothafuckin' mouth [Image: lol.gif]

HSLD

HSLD

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/1...5Z20150215

She got a year in prison lol.

'Nut rage' prompts South Korea to consider law against high-handed conduct

(Reuters) - Resentment has mounted so much in South Korea against what has come to be known as "gabjil", high-handedness by the rich and powerful, that parliamentarians are proposing legislation to punish some of the worst abuses.

A bill to be presented in the national assembly this month is formally called the "Conglomerates Ethical Management Special Law" but has been nick-named the Cho Hyun-ah law.

Cho, also known as Heather Cho, is the daughter of the chairman of Korean Air Lines and was sentenced last week to a year in prison for an outburst on a Korean Air plane while on the ground in New York. It was considered a severe sentence by some legal experts.

The bill proposes to ban members of the powerful business families known as chaebol from working at their companies for at least five years if convicted of a crime. In earlier cases, some high-profile offenders were pardoned, serving little or no jail time, although recently-convicted chaebol executives have found it harder to avoid prison.

In February, the Supreme Court confirmed a four-year embezzlement sentence for SK Holdings Chairman Chey Tae-won, who has been in prison since January 2013, among the longest terms served by a chaebol boss.

In 2007, Hyundai Motor Chairman Chung Mong-koo was given a three-year jail term for fraud but the sentence was suspended in exchange for community service and a $1 billion charity donation as the court deemed he was too important to the economy to be jailed.

Cho, who has appealed against her sentence, was Korean Air's head of in-flight service at the time of the Dec 5 episode, which has come to be called the "nut rage" case. A court found she had violated the law by ordering the plane she was in to return to the gate after it started to taxi.

Cho had demanded the flight crew chief be expelled from the flight after she was served macadamia nuts in a bag, and not on a dish.

"I hope the recent case involving Cho has created the right environment to pull together consensus on this," said ruling Saenuri Party lawmaker Kim Yong-nam, the sponsor of the bill. Another parliamentarian from an opposition party has proposed an amendment along similar lines.

"There have been calls to put in place a systematic tool to police heavy-handedness by chaebol family members, and stop them from being able to participate in management just because they are relatives," Kim said in an interview.

Cho's lawyer Suh Chang-hee declined to comment on the proposed legislation.

It is not clear whether the legislation will be approved by a parliament controlled by the business-friendly Saenuri Party.

Shin Seuk-hun, head of corporate policy at the Federation of Korean Industries, a lobby group for chaebol, said improving corporate transparency and ethical standards was positive, but the proposed legislation appeared to regard a corporation as a public interest group.

"It's almost like trying to supervise a company by getting the public involved and treating it as if it's a group of holy clergymen," he said. "It seems excessive."

"THREE-FIVE RULE"

A recent survey of 1,000 people found three-quarters considered heavy-handed conduct by those in superior positions to be a widespread problem in South Korea, with families of the chaebol topping the list as most likely to be responsible. Bosses at work, doctors and professors were also cited as being unreasonably heavy handed, according to the survey by the Korea Press Foundation.

Incidents that in the past may have gone ignored have received prominent media coverage, including the January case of a department store clerk slapped by a female shopper who demanded a refund for clothes that had already been worn.

Even before the "nut rage" episode, a TV drama called "Incomplete Life," which portrayed office workers bossed around by oppressive superiors, was a smash hit with viewers who identified with the characters.

"Gabjil", or "being bossy", has in recent years become a mocking catch-phrase in a traditionally top-down society where hierarchical roles extend to the workplace.

Kwon Oh-in of Citizens' Coalition of Economic Justice, a civic group, said income inequality that gradually deepened through the 1990s has quickened in recent years as policy measures aimed at correcting it misfired and chaebol continued to expand their economic dominance.

"Inconsistent policies have benefited chaebol and ordinary people have lost their jobs," he said. "People are angrier."

In the nut rage case, the flight's chief steward, Park Chang-jin, testified that Cho behaved "like a beast that found its prey," treating "powerless people ... like feudal slaves."

Kim, the ruling party legislator who is also a former prosecutor, said sentencing of powerful people was once dictated by the so-called "three-five" rule.

"It meant for chaebol cases like this, the ruling would be three year jail sentence suspended for five years: that was the unwritten code," he said. "This case is important in that the code has been broken."

(Additinal reporting by Kahyun Yang and Sohee Kim; Editing by Jack Kim, Tony Munroe and Raju Gopalakrishnan)

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Quote: (02-15-2015 05:03 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  

Thrilled to hear it. Apparently she made the poor bastard kneel down and ask for forgiveness before she fired him.

BBC News - Korean Air

A cabin crew chief says he was forced to kneel and ask forgiveness by the daughter of Korean Air's chairman, before being ordered off a flight.

Korean airlines used to have one of the worst safety records because junior co-pilots would defer to the senior. This means that critical errors were not double checked or questioned when they happened and planes would regularly do headers into the ground. Then Korean air started to adopt more western standards and equality in the operating procedures so they turned it around. Now Korean air is one of the safest.

Korean hierarchy may be somewhat rigid but at least it doesn't have the over the top corruption of SEA countries. In most of SEA and China the upper class rich kids acting like tyrants is a normal thing.

Not entirely sure how I feel about this.

Airline stewardesses & stewards on most united states airlines are usually complete bitches (both the women & men) who act like they're doing you the biggest favor if you're flying business class. They act like salty old public school teachers constantly nagging and berating and talking down to children. I don't know if they're protected by unions or what, but we sorely need more manners in our flight attendants. We need airline management to take a much harder line stance on their behavior.

On the other hand, they're always nice when you fly first-class but most times I fly regular business class.

Quote: (02-15-2015 07:35 PM)El Chinito loco Wrote:  

Korean airlines used to have one of the worst safety records because junior co-pilots would defer to the senior. This means that critical errors were not double checked or questioned when they happened and planes would regularly do headers into the ground. Then Korean air started to adopt more western standards and equality in the operating procedures so they turned it around. Now Korean air is one of the safest.

Korean hierarchy may be somewhat rigid but at least it doesn't have the over the top corruption of SEA countries. In most of SEA and China the upper class rich kids acting like tyrants is a normal thing.

I saw an episode on this also. Party of the change was making them speak in English. Since English doesn't have all those different layers of respect built in. Simplified communication.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Quote: (02-15-2015 07:37 PM)monster Wrote:  

On the other hand, they're always nice when you fly first-class but most times I fly regular business class.

Some are still salty even in first. Rather have nice eye candy that a Cindy Crawford skin victim.

Quote: (02-15-2015 07:27 PM)Seamus Wrote:  

Quote: (02-15-2015 05:03 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  

Thrilled to hear it. Apparently she made the poor bastard kneel down and ask for forgiveness before she fired him.

BBC News - Korean Air

A cabin crew chief says he was forced to kneel and ask forgiveness by the daughter of Korean Air's chairman, before being ordered off a flight.

How does a little Korean woman "force" a man do do anything?

I hear being a diva is not uncommon in Korean women.

By 'heard' I mean from a friend who is not the most reliable source on these things.

Quote: (02-15-2015 07:37 PM)monster Wrote:  

Not entirely sure how I feel about this.

Airline stewardesses & stewards on most united states airlines are usually complete bitches (both the women & men) who act like they're doing you the biggest favor if you're flying business class. They act like salty old public school teachers constantly nagging and berating and talking down to children. I don't know if they're protected by unions or what, but we sorely need more manners in our flight attendants. We need airline management to take a much harder line stance on their behavior.

I don't think a Korean based airline is like that. That's a Western airline trait. I've never flown a Korean based airline, but all other Asian based airlines I've flown like Air Asia, Nok Air, and especially Cathay Pacific, the flight crew are as nice as can be, and hot as hell too. This is in coach also.

As far as this chick goes, I could never be the ruler of a country, because I'd hang her. One less piece of shit abusing her power that the world needs to worry about. I hope she spends every single second of that one year in prison in horrible conditions.

If it was Thailand, she'd never see a day in jail. She'd get sentenced, then skip the county for a few months for "medical reasons", and when she came back the judge would give her a suspended sentence because of a "mental health condition" that causes her to be a piece of shit cunt that can not control her actions.

Countries like Thailand are so fucked because of nepotism. Generation after generation after generation of retards get put into power because of their name and family, so you have complete incompetence across the board. Not just incompetence, but some evil fucking people also because their parents teach them that they can do whatever they want to anyone who isn't higher status than they are, and it's true. Run your car into a bus stop and kill a girl because you're angry at the bus driver? No problem. Your "mental condition" made you do it so you will never spend a day in jail. It's like a country filled wit spoiled 9 year old kids throwing temper tantrums who are allowed to kill and get whatever they want.

I'd be really happy to see Korea imprison this woman for the full year, and hopefully countries in SEA follow suit since they look up to the Koreans so much. I won't hold my breath though.

Quote: (02-16-2015 01:09 AM)GeroMeroHero Wrote:  

I hear being a diva is not uncommon in Korean women.

By 'heard' I mean from a friend who is not the most reliable source on these things.

It's true.

I'd be very surprised if she ends up serving even a day in jail. And if she does, it will be in cushy and protected conditions.
The only reason a one year sentence was even given is because of the loss of face that all of the publicity caused.
Nothing at all has changed or will change regarding nepotism and immunity among the powerful in South Korea. In fact, the lesson they will draw from this is to avoid bad publicity, not to change their behavior in any meaningful way. I would also bet that at some point down the line, the person who reported this will be in for some retaliation.
All that happened is that one of the chess masters (Cho Yang-ho) decided to temporarily sacrifice one of his pawns. The important thing is to preserve wealth and power. Give the plebes a seeming victory to avoid real change.
This is Game of Thrones.

"Me llaman el desaparecido
Que cuando llega ya se ha ido
Volando vengo, volando voy
Deprisa deprisa a rumbo perdido"