rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Bang Da Nang (Vietnam)

Bang Da Nang (Vietnam)

During my Vietnam stint, I took two reconnaissance trips to what I have been claiming is the most overlooked and under-appreciated beach city in Southeast Asia. Da Nang is a laid-back city of 1 mil in central Vietnam and which unlike Saigon and/or Hanoi, offers beaches, luxury for value, invariably friendly locals, an absence of scammers/crime, and clean air/no traffic. FDI is pouring in, constantly enhancing the city's infrastructure and logistics.

Being location independent, like many of you, I strive to place myself in contexts where I can work and play in relative luxury while consistently smashing exotic, hot, feminine, famous, and/or rich local girls. Guys on the ground will not deny Da Nang's obvious benefits and perks, among which include:

Pristine beaches: <10km from the city center. Great for dates.

Luxury housing on the cheap: modern 2-bedroom apartments in the center or on the beach can be had for 500 USD/m (month-to-month agreements). I heard about a guy who was renting an 8-bedroom house near the beach for that price. These prices are unheard of in Saigon and Hanoi city centers. Housing in Da Nang (and elsewhere in VN) is best secured through a local friend or resident expat, who you will find after one night of drinking. 2 girls whom I met and asked about apartment prices offered to take me around the following day. Get a hotel near the below mentioned nightlife for a few nights, and make it happen.

Hoi An: Vietnam's custom clothing capital, is just a 30 min drive away. THe G would explode with delight at the local custom clothing culture and quality of tailors. Decent quality custom linen suits start from around 75 USD. Shop around. There is no excuse for looking like a slob in Vietnam; get yourself to Hoi An and pick up some threads. Hoi An is also a thriving backpacker destination, in case you're into that sort of thing.

Da Nang is also a great place to get work done and you will not be stuck in traffic traveling between coffee shops. I recommend the following 3:

Temple Da Nang (Hoàng Sa, Sơn Trà): here you can literally work on the beach. Iced vietnamese coffee for around 1 USD.

Cong Ca Phe (96-98 Bach Dang): Vietnam War-themed, quite a funny sight to see a rail-thin 5 ft Vietnamese dressed in camouflage. Great day game opportunities.

Highlands Coffee (74 Bach Dang): National coffee chain. Great day game opportunities. I picked up a freak at this joint.

Food: Street food in Da Nang is bomb as hell. Vietnamese consistently rave it's the best in the country. My personal favorite is mi quang: yellow rice noodle with all kinds of proteins and quail egg

A brief word of caution on Game: I'm caucasian, late 20's, athletic build. When traveling and first beginning to establish a reputation in a new city, I tend to run aggressive (sometimes over the top) game, approaching everything in sight. When you're fresh off the plane, I think that's a perfectly acceptable strategy for Vietnam that yields immediate short-term rewards. But once you begin to penetrate Vietnamese high society and pursue models and actresses, people begin to recognize as you. Accordingly, you must adapt your Western Alpha traits to the local honor-based value system.

Do not, I repeat, do not, openly game multiple girls at the same venue. Do not game openly, period. Not in Da Nang, not in Saigon, not in Hanoi. You will be labeled a playboy, and once this has happened, no self-respecting girl will want to associate with you. Once you have identified a target, do not so much as look at another. If you are talking to a girl in whom you have interest, and another approaches you, politely reject the latter by introducing your target as your girlfriend.

You can take a lot of the burden off night game by getting yourself a Vietnam Cupid account and having an optimized WeChat profile with your best pictures.

Nightlife: Pleasantly concentrated, with very reasonable drink prices.

- Sky36 Bar at Novotel (36 Bach Dang): The most upscale, though not optimal for approaching. There's a bar and dance floor and outdoors area. Take your dates to the outdoors area; when rolling solo, head directly to the indoors bar. Bottle of Belvedere and mixers was around 120 USD. Game-changer: this place employs 6-8 Ukrainian girls as dancers and hostesses. To repeat what most of the forum is saying: Learn Russian. It will help you even in Da Nang.

- Golden Pine Pub (52 Bach Dang): This is your best bet on any given night. An expat-oriented hangout which blares dance music into the night. This is where you should go to make friends and meet hot locals whom are open to foreigners. Get a bottle of rum (30 USD), take it to a table outside, and smile at everyone. You will meet people here.

- OQ Bar (18 Bach Dang): Decent outdoor set-up with friendly locals. The indoor bar on the left and the bar on the right-hand side are good for approaches. I smashed the manager.

- New Phuong Dong Club (20 Dong Da): A club designed for Vietnamese: focus on bottle service, probably 5 (pro) hostesses per head, and dark with loud-ass music. Go only if you're with a local and/or to see a pre-existing target.

- Seventeen Saloon (76 Tran Hung Dao): Popular with the older expats. Saw some pros. Wild west theme and relatively expensive drink prices. Not always the best option but should definitely be on your radar. I got a couple of numbers here.

- City Pub (92 Bach Dang): Had some live music, good date spot, though nobody in the place had a clue what I meant by "Vodka soda".

Getting there and getting set up: Da Nang airport is served by Vietnam Airlines, other regional carriers, and the low-cost airlines (VietJet Air and Jetstar). Depending on where you are coming from, you may need to fly through Saigon or Hanoi.

Taxis and transport: As with Saigon, take only 'Vinasun' (white) and Mai Linh (green) taxis. A metered ride from the airport to the city center should not cost more than 7 USD. Once set up, rent a motorbike to get around the city (~50 USD/month). You will most likely be given a Yamaha Nouvo; these are the quintessential expat bikes (don't ask me why).

Fitness and lifestyle: Da nang has plenty of food options and it should be possible to maintain most paleo variants. Ask for extra proteins in your street food (always worth the extra dollar or two). If living in the center, you will also be walking distance to a gym and to the Han River for jogging.

Final recommendation: If you have identified Vietnam as your location-independent base for at least 1 month, I strongly urge you to spend a weekend in Da Nang prior to settling on Saigon or Hanoi.
Go get em boys

Bang Da Nang (Vietnam)

Great report. Been to da nang for a few nights, and it doenst have the noise/pollution like Hanoi or saigon, but still a lot of oppotunities.

Bang Da Nang (Vietnam)

Another fantastic report on Vietnam Papi Rico!
You're making me reconsider my initial plan of flying to Chiang Mai next month and post up there to get in shape and get work done. I'd love to be by the beach and Da Nang is looking more and more like a very solid place to post up for a few months!

Regarding cost of living, what would you say to be a solid amount to shoot for for a good and comfy lifestyle? Say a 1 bedroom furnished apart either in the centre of town or near the beach (speaking of which, where in town would you recommend to be a good place to be based at?), eating out 90% of meals, going out 3-4 nights a week and having a membership in a good gym?

Also, could you post on what is the best way to infiltrate into the higher end Vietnamese girls (models, actresses rich beautiful girls)?

Cheers man!

Bang Da Nang (Vietnam)

Quote: (10-24-2014 01:54 AM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

Another fantastic report on Vietnam Papi Rico!
You're making me reconsider my initial plan of flying to Chiang Mai next month and post up there to get in shape and get work done. I'd love to be by the beach and Da Nang is looking more and more like a very solid place to post up for a few months!

Regarding cost of living, what would you say to be a solid amount to shoot for for a good and comfy lifestyle? Say a 1 bedroom furnished apart either in the centre of town or near the beach (speaking of which, where in town would you recommend to be a good place to be based at?), eating out 90% of meals, going out 3-4 nights a week and having a membership in a good gym?

Also, could you post on what is the best way to infiltrate into the higher end Vietnamese girls (models, actresses rich beautiful girls)?

Cheers man!

COL: I just did a write-up in Seabridge's post. You can live comfortably on 1000-1250 monthly. I would personally spend 1500-1750, but I like to indulge unnecessary luxuries. I would stay as close as possible to the Bach Dang strip, which has all the nightlife, food options, and a river view. Crossing either of two bridges will get you to the beachfront area, and to my recollection, there were some new luxury constructions there at very accessible prices (I'm talking 500 USD for a 2-bedroom).

High-end girls: Apart from dressing and approaching like a boss, it's about relationship building. Do not make the mistake of approaching a mixed set and ignoring the guys; they are your greatest resource. My #1 go-to strategy for breaking into high-end circles in Vietnam, absolutely no homo, is to target gays. For example, many of these actresses/singers/rich girls are BFF's with their hairdressers/personal assistants/stylists, and regularly hit the clubs with them. A VN girl who receives a lot of male attention finds great refuge in her gay guy friend, whom she affectionately calls 'sister'. Find sister, befriend him by offering up a shot of tequila, and reap the rewards.

One more thing: When you dress well and otherwise look presentable as a white dude in Vietnam, do not get flustered when a girl presumes or asks if you are gay. That would happen to me at least 3x every night I was out. I would usually come back with a line such as "yes I've been gay for awhile, but upon seeing you I reconsidered." Worked like a charm.

Bang Da Nang (Vietnam)

500/month for a 2 bedroom by the beach? That's incredible!
Yeah I also like to indulge in unnecessary luxuries, specially when traveling so 1500 sounds like a good amount to shoot for.

Great point about befriending the guys and the gays! These are the gatekeepers to these social circles!

How big is the location independent crowd in Da Nang?

Will definitely also hit up Hoi An to get some nice threads! In the clubs, is it more suit game or nice pair of jeans with fitted shirt?

Bang Da Nang (Vietnam)

Quote: (10-24-2014 02:24 AM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

500/month for a 2 bedroom by the beach? That's incredible!
Yeah I also like to indulge in unnecessary luxuries, specially when traveling so 1500 sounds like a good amount to shoot for.

Great point about befriending the guys and the gays! These are the gatekeepers to these social circles!

How big is the location independent crowd in Da Nang?

Will definitely also hit up Hoi An to get some nice threads! In the clubs, is it more suit game or nice pair of jeans with fitted shirt?

According to my friends in the DC, there are several members based there. I think you could definitely find some decent guys to roll with. My good friend spent 3 months there and had a great circle of friends.

Suit game would be overkill in Da Nang's pubs/bars; the place is way too casual. I would roll with a jacket and v-neck at most. Fitted shirt and jeans work very well. Even the v-neck will do if you're just hitting the bars.

Save the suit game for Hcm/Hanoi, as well as for a night in which you only plan to hit Sky36.

Bang Da Nang (Vietnam)

Very good data here, Papi Rico, gracias [Image: smile.gif]

One important thing though may be missing : what are the English capabilities of the local women?
Because, if 40 or 50% of the local young women speak quite good English, then you have found a gold mine[Image: smile.gif]

but if only, like, 15% of them speak quite good English, then not many will be girlfriend material...

As you work with English students, maybe you meet a lot of English-speakers, but, what about normal girls from the streets and shops, do they speak some English??

Bang Da Nang (Vietnam)

Quote:Quote:

I'm caucasian, late 20's

Just curious. How did you end up in Vietnam? Were you in the military?

Team Nachos

Bang Da Nang (Vietnam)

Quote: (10-24-2014 10:36 AM)Going strong Wrote:  

Very good data here, Papi Rico, gracias [Image: smile.gif]
but, what about normal girls from the streets and shops, do they speak some English??

De nada, amigo!

A great question indeed. Large Vietnamese employers in most industries have been requiring at least basic English for most entry-level positions. I would say Da Nang is a bit behind Saigon and Hanoi on English levels, but this is beginning to change with all the new businesses coming in and the accompanying pressure to learn English.

I would venture to say that if you cold approached a 20-24 year old during your morning jog along the Han River, she would more likely than not speak basic to intermediate English. To cut to the chase: do not worry about the pool of eligible women, provided you have an engaging personality and are not bent out of shape.

As an aside: I'm with you on the importance of English, but I'm currently in a city where about 2% of the local population speaks passable English, and guess what, that's still better than being in a city where English is spoken by 98% of the local (whale) population.

Quote:
I'm caucasian, late 20's

Parlay44:
Just curious. How did you end up in Vietnam? Were you in the military?

I suppose I never got around to the introduction thread. The third month in at my first corporate job I had a massive meltdown and decided to do my own thing out in SEA. I wanted a big city with massive amounts of talent, great nightlife, and generally decent living conditions. Saigon made perfect sense at the time: not overplayed like BKK, no crime as in Manila, actually pleasant in some parts unlike Jakarta, and would not break my bank like Sing or KL.

This guy swayed me with his highly inspirational piece on location-independent living in Saigon (posted elsewhere in the forum):
https://medium.com/@jonmyers/bootstrappi...9744367386 After I booked my one-way ticket, I sent that post to my family and friends to pre-empt "Why Vietnam?". Never met the author in person, but we corresponded by email and I am still waiting to buy him a drink.

Lastly, I had been following Beyond Borders and Vacancier Permanent--specifically their writings on location-independent living and life in Asia--for quite some time prior to my lifestyle transformation. I must credit them for planting that seed somewhere in the back of my head. Major props to you both, drinks on me!

Haven't looked back ever since.

Bang Da Nang (Vietnam)

Goddamn it, I was hoping so much that "Bang Da Nang" was the name of an actual place in Vietnam when I read the thread title [Image: lol.gif]

Nice write-up.

Bang Da Nang (Vietnam)

This fantastic piece on Da Nang really caught my attention so much that in the past few few hours I've been doing some research on it. Found this great gem of a video tour of this charming beach town that is worth sharing here. The sexy accent of the Vietnamese girl narrating it adds even more to the allure of the city.

http://youtu.be/nELByNXpNpM

Btw, that article on your last post you linked to on why Vietnam by Jon Myers, who is killing it in Saigon and is a legend in the DC is also what not only first caught my attention about Saigon but also what I've been sending to friends and family inquiring about what's special about Vietnam. Great article indeed!

Bang Da Nang (Vietnam)

Quote: (10-25-2014 03:48 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

This fantastic piece on Da Nang really caught my attention so much that in the past few few hours I've been doing some research on it. Found this great gem of a video tour of this charming beach town that is worth sharing here. The sexy accent of the Vietnamese girl narrating it adds even more to the allure of the city.

http://youtu.be/nELByNXpNpM

Btw, that article on your last post you linked to on why Vietnam by Jon Myers, who is killing it in Saigon and is a legend in the DC is also what not only first caught my attention about Saigon but also what I've been sending to friends and family inquiring about what's special about Vietnam. Great article indeed!

At 5:12:
[Image: creepy-smile-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-354.gif]

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Bang Da Nang (Vietnam)

Indeed man! The sight of Vietnamese girls wearing their traditional dresses and pants that go with it drives me nuts! It's super sexy, hot yet very classy! When I get there, I'd have my girl wear traditional Vietnamese clothes exclusively! [Image: smile.gif]

Bang Da Nang (Vietnam)

I had the same exact thought while I was there. One day I took a stroll around Hoan Kiem lake and there were numerous girls in traditional garb having their pictures taken. I swear I fell in love several times with girls looking like this:

[Image: vietnam-traditional-dress-ao-dai.bmp]

Even better would be that traditional outfit minus the pajama pants. [Image: hump.gif]

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Bang Da Nang (Vietnam)

Btw, Thedude,
I recall you posting in one of the threads recently that you are looking to open your own resto, but not for money, just for the fun of it. If you're not in it to make money, why don't you open it in a happening place in SEA? Da Nang, Saigon, Cebu (huge Korean community there) and other similar up and coming beach town would be ideal places. Taking your talent, experience and knowledge, You'd be in no time a a big whale in a small pond, thus giving you an unmatched quality of life and very fun lifestyle, that you'd probably never get in a super competitive market like LA or anywhere in the US. And with the fun lifestyle, success wouldn't be hard to achieve either and thus great potential to make money too! Have you thought about that?

Bang Da Nang (Vietnam)

Quote: (10-25-2014 04:19 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

Btw, Thedude,
I recall you posting in one of the threads recently that you are looking to open your own resto, but not for money, just for the fun of it. If you're not in it to make money, why don't you open it in a happening place in SEA? Da Nang, Saigon, Cebu (huge Korean community there) and other similar up and coming beach town would be ideal places. Taking your talent, experience and knowledge, You'd be in no time a a big whale in a small pond, thus giving you an unmatched quality of life and very fun lifestyle, that you'd probably never get in a super competitive market like LA or anywhere in the US. And with the fun lifestyle, success wouldn't be hard to achieve either and thus great potential to make money too! Have you thought about that?

Yes, been having this exact conversation with Fisto today. I've been sending my resume out to the bigger and more high end resorts in Hoi An. The plan being to work at a steady job while making contacts until I can pull all the necessary strings to open my own place. It would take a while to understand everything needed to open up a place in SEA. I talked to one American restaurant owner in Thailand and he was having a hard time there. They'll let any Thai open whatever they want, but the minute a foreigner tries to open a place, they bring out the rules and regulations, gotta have clearly marked fire exits, ventilation, sanitation, etc...which is a joke considering the Thai restaurants that neighbor him clearly had zero regard for those regulations.

Not sure how Vietnam is by comparison, but if I could work there under a company and get paid while I do R+D that would be pretty sweet.

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Bang Da Nang (Vietnam)

I recently did a 7 month trip of SEA. Checking out as many major cities on livability for guys like us. I was only briefly in Da Nang but it's the most underrated city i've seen. It's everything that is good about Vietnam multiplied by quite abit compared to HCM and Hanoi. Unfortunately the same goes for the language barrier.

I'm not ready to live abroad yet. But defintely going to consider Da Nang.

Bang Da Nang (Vietnam)

Yeah forget Thailand as it's fucked up when it comes to doing business there as they are big time racists and very close minded. Instead, I'd look at places that are just opening up and about to boom and where the local governments are encouraging foreign businesses to set up shop there. Thailand is a mature market now. Cambodia, Vietnam are places that I'd look into to if I were looking to open a brick and mortar type of biz. Philippines would be another good option.

Quote: (10-25-2014 04:29 PM)Veloce Wrote:  

Btw, Thedude,

Yes, been having this exact conversation with Fisto today. I've been sending my resume out to the bigger and more high end resorts in Hoi An. The plan being to work at a steady job while making contacts until I can pull all the necessary strings to open my own place. It would take a while to understand everything needed to open up a place in SEA. I talked to one American restaurant owner in Thailand and he was having a hard time there. They'll let any Thai open whatever they want, but the minute a foreigner tries to open a place, they bring out the rules and regulations, gotta have clearly marked fire exits, ventilation, sanitation, etc...which is a joke considering the Thai restaurants that neighbor him clearly had zero regard for those regulations.

Not sure how Vietnam is by comparison, but if I could work there under a company and get paid while I do R+D that would be pretty sweet.

Bang Da Nang (Vietnam)

Man, I'd wife up any of 5 of these girls in a heart beat!

Quote: (10-25-2014 04:18 PM)Veloce Wrote:  

I had the same exact thought while I was there. One day I took a stroll around Hoan Kiem lake and there were numerous girls in traditional garb having their pictures taken. I swear I fell in love several times with girls looking like this:

[Image: vietnam-traditional-dress-ao-dai.bmp]

Even better would be that traditional outfit minus the pajama pants. [Image: hump.gif]

Then you'd be very happy with the Chinese Qi Pao dress, specially the short ones! [Image: wink.gif]

Bang Da Nang (Vietnam)

Quote: (10-25-2014 04:29 PM)Veloce Wrote:  

Btw, Thedude,

It's also somewhat like that in Vietnam, the easiest way is to know people who are in high positions in the government, if you have their help you can stop giving a shit about regulations or whatever.

Bang Da Nang (Vietnam)

This thread was normal to a point.

I'm not so sure anymore

Bang Da Nang (Vietnam)

How is Da Nang in winter? Worth visiting or too cold?

Bang Da Nang (Vietnam)

VP are you asking how to infiltrate the HISO Viet crowd, the models and actresses, for the general benefit of the forum, or are you planning on gaming these girls yourself?

Bang Da Nang (Vietnam)

Quote: (10-29-2014 07:21 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

This thread was normal to a point.

I'm not so sure anymore

El Mech complaining about lack of normality.

<---Reporting hacked account.

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Bang Da Nang (Vietnam)

Quote: (10-29-2014 07:41 PM)Brodiaga Wrote:  

How is Da Nang in winter? Worth visiting or too cold?

I've been looking into that also. From what I've read, It's going to be rainy from Oct through Dec. January through April are nice for cooler weather then it get hotter through Sept.

Check out the links at the bottom of this page for a summary of each month.

http://www.vietnamonline.com/destination...ember.html