rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Arequipa, Peru data sheet

Prices
Prices are really cheap for everything. A filling meal in a Chifa runs you about 8-10 soles (~$4). I took private 1:1 Spanish classes for S/17 (~$6) per hour. Taxis around town usually cost 3-5 soles.

Girls
Like a lot of the areas in the Andes, the quality of the girls is fairly low. There are a lot of girls with an "indigenous" look about them that is not attractive by Western standards. There are attractive girls; there are just fewer of them than you'd find elsewhere.

Lodging
Most of the action is around Plaza de Armas, so finding a hostel within a few blocks of there is important. Not only are the bars centered there, but also restaurants, so if you're far from Plaza de Armas, you'll find yourself taking long hikes any time you want a meal.

Bars / Clubs

There are two main streets for bars.

Calle San Francisco - This is right off Plaza de Armas and is therefore a little more traveler-heavy.

Av. Dolores - This is farther away from the main square and attracts mostly locals.

Drinks at some of the bars are pretty steep, but a common thing that people do is buy a bottle of liquor, a bottle of soda, and mix it in a big pitcher to share, which works out to be very cheap, but you have to guard your drinks.

Deja Vu - (Calle San Francisco) This was my favorite bar and the one I found most conducive to approaching. It has a reputation for being kind of a magnet for brincheras (gringo-chasers). As an American, girls there were very open to talking to me, although escalating from the hook point was harder than I'm used to in the US. Has two different dance floors, but the bar areas are quiet enough that you can approach and talk easily. I was asked to pay cover once on a weekend but the bouncer waved me in after he realized I was American. Has girls every night of the week (though you may need to wait till 12 for the crowd to build outside Thurs-Sat).

Forum - (Calle San Francisco) This is a dance club in a big bar complex which includes one big club for dancing (charges a S/10 cover), a rock bar, and a lounge with couches. Whenever I went, the lounge bar was filled with older people in suits, but the dance club had a good weekend crowd.

Monay's - (Av. Dolores) Salsoteca that attracts mainly locals. The sets there seemed less interested in meeting new people than just hanging out, drinking, and dancing with their own group.

La Roca - (Av. Dolores) Pretty similar to the above.

Istanbul - (Calle San Francisco) Good, quiet bar that has good drinks and is conducive to bounces or D2s.

Food
Turko - Delicious kebabs at 16 soles ($6) for a combo with soda + fries. One of the few places open 24 hours, which comes up big when you're looking for drunk, post-bar food.

Like anywhere in Peru, Chifas and chicken places offer filling, cheap meals. There are also some fancier restaurants along Calle San Francisco that are pretty good and not expensive by American standards (S/30-50 = $10-20 for a fancy meal).

Safety
There's a danger of "secuestro express" - getting kidnapped and robbed by the drivers of the tiny matchbox taxis. Certain taxi companies are reputable ("PLUS" being one of them). Check the back compartment for anyone hiding before getting in. Call taxis to be on the safe side. I took taxis home from the Centro and never had a problem, but I heard it's risky.

I was told that it was safe to walk around most parts of town, but there were areas that were sketchy and isolated that I wouldn't walk through at night. Cabs are cheap enough that it's easy to avoid the risk.

Cool, thanks for posting! Definitely a city I'd like to check out sometime. Any idea what it costs to rent an apartment? And what else is there to do besides drink, eat and dance?

Quote: (03-16-2011 08:13 PM)emh Wrote:  

Cool, thanks for posting! Definitely a city I'd like to check out sometime. Any idea what it costs to rent an apartment? And what else is there to do besides drink, eat and dance?

Didn't check out apartment prices so I don't know about that.

I stuck mostly to eating, drinking, dancing, and studying Spanish, but there's a lot of hiking / canyoneering available. El Misti is a 19,000' ft volcano you can hike to the top of and there are also lots of tours available to Colca Canyon, the world's deepest canyon.

The Pisco Sours in Arequipa are awsome !

They really know how to make them properly there.

Also the local chicks are not subtle at all when they like you. I don't mean they approach you but they just sit there and glare at you directly in a really obvious way.

In no way subtle and they don't even look away and pretend that they were not doing it when you catch them. Also awesome.

Thanks guys. Great info!

Quote:Quote:

This was my favorite bar and the one I found most conducive to approaching. It has a reputation for being kind of a magnet for brincheras (gringo-chasers).

Yeah some locals we met told us this too (they said it like it was a bad thing) but when we went on a Thursday night it wasn't all that busy (not empty either) and there wasn't that many obvious gringo hunting girls around. I was there with a couple of local girls and a friend. I was trying my best to hook up with one of the girls (good looking, great English, well educated, funny, good taste in music!) but despite the positive signs from her it didn't go anywhere not even a kiss so I probably wasted that night and didn't really pay enough attention to the other girls in the club. My friend ended up with a local girl by the end of the night and we were both sure he was going home with her but then suddenly she just dissapeared into a taxi without really saying goodbye. None of us ended up getting anything in Arequipa (only there for 2 nights).

Definitely watch out for the taxis, even the locals are really careful about which taxi they get in only trusting certain companies.

It's a nice enough city but I don't know if it has enough to entertain most people for a long period of time, night life seems quite limited from what I could gather and not a great deal to see or do I don't think. Really bad traffic as well, absolute chaos on the roads. I prefered Cusco, can have a lot of fun there with a lot of cool things to do nearbye.

Quote: (03-19-2011 11:35 AM)Gringo Wrote:  

Quote:Quote:

This was my favorite bar and the one I found most conducive to approaching. It has a reputation for being kind of a magnet for brincheras (gringo-chasers).

Yeah some locals we met told us this too (they said it like it was a bad thing) but when we went on a Thursday night it wasn't all that busy (not empty either) and there wasn't that many obvious gringo hunting girls around. I was there with a couple of local girls and a friend. I was trying my best to hook up with one of the girls (good looking, great English, well educated, funny, good taste in music!) but despite the positive signs from her it didn't go anywhere not even a kiss so I probably wasted that night and didn't really pay enough attention to the other girls in the club. My friend ended up with a local girl by the end of the night and we were both sure he was going home with her but then suddenly she just dissapeared into a taxi without really saying goodbye. None of us ended up getting anything in Arequipa (only there for 2 nights).

Definitely watch out for the taxis, even the locals are really careful about which taxi they get in only trusting certain companies.

It's a nice enough city but I don't know if it has enough to entertain most people for a long period of time, night life seems quite limited from what I could gather and not a great deal to see or do I don't think. Really bad traffic as well, absolute chaos on the roads. I prefered Cusco, can have a lot of fun there with a lot of cool things to do nearbye.

So what sorts of things did you find to do in Cusco? I realize that Machu Picchu's nearby but you're not going to go there on a regular basis.

There's all the obvious things near bye like MP, Sacred Valley etc. The city its self has better night life and more to keep you occupied than Arequipa.