rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Apartment Sharing In Bogota

Hey guys,

I am posting this to find out if anyone has successfully apartment shared in Bogota? I'm going to be there somewhere between Nov 1. - Dec. 12 and searching online I see a lot of very expensive postings. 1.5-2 million cop is a little more than I want to spend.

Is it only like this because I'm looking online? Will I find better local prices in the paper and through contacts? (I speak Spanish so I'm not worried about the gringo price.)

Also, are there any sites anyone here has successfully used to find room mates? I just don't want to be cock-blocked by getting a room on AirBnB and not being able to bring girls back... which leads me to my next option. I'm sure people here would vouch for me not being a weirdo and decent guy - would anyone here be interested in apt sharing?

I'm a clean guy, agreeable, I'd say good game when I invest my energy in approaching (can't be bothered to approach NA girls). I also am sharpening my Spanish skills. 6 Months ago I didn't know a word, now its only a few words here and there I don't recognize. I also can dance decently, but I rarely drink.

If anyone is looking to have a wing and maybe room share in Bogota (around the Candelaria area - IH Bogota will be my school for the CELTA) let me know! I'm always down to meet new forum members and don't mind not having my own space if it means it's basically a funnel for las mujeres y es mas economico.

If it effects your decision at all I'm 5'10, use a full range of motion when benchin so I can titty pop like terry crews full disclosure for the ladies in the clubs.. [Image: lol.gif] look like a gringo I guess (but brownish hair) and I'm learning to salsa dance.

Thanks for reading everybody

Bogota is certainly an unusual destination!

Famed for violence (much abated now), and cold (high elevation - like moving to Copper Mountain, Colorado), overpopulation (10 million????), and the absence of sun - what would recommend it? I can only especially see the great number of higher educational institutions. Could it be...young poosy?

“There is no global anthem, no global currency, no certificate of global citizenship. We pledge allegiance to one flag, and that flag is the American flag!” -DJT

I went in February and it was a pleasant 70 degrees everyday. It's probably much different in July/Aug/Sept but it can't be anymore lame than San Frans weather

A man is only as faithful as his options-Chris Rock

That sounds good! I could still change to Medellin though... I'm doing it for educational reasons, would anyone recommend Medellin vs Bogota? Price of apt, temperature, women?

http://www.compartoapto.com

You can apt. Share in La Candelaria, which is where IH Bogota is, for about $400 mil COP/mo on up.

Paying the small fee is worth it, you will find good places in your price range.

Quote: (08-16-2014 10:59 AM)Sonsowey Wrote:  

http://www.compartoapto.com

You can apt. Share in La Candelaria, which is where IH Bogota is, for about $400 mil COP/mo on up.

Paying the small fee is worth it, you will find good places in your price range.

Wickeddddd!!! Man that site looks killer, thanks brother +1!

Can vouch for TravellingSoldier, good guy.

Quote: (08-16-2014 08:43 PM)Tresdus Wrote:  

Can vouch for TravellingSoldier, good guy.

Thank you sir!

If you guys were to go for school for a month, would you choose Bogota or Medellin?

I have a chance to change schools if I want and all my research is telling me I should consider it. Thoughts?

I studied in Bogota for about six weeks at a place called Nueva Lengua, it was pretty good but also expensive, about $240 USD, over two years ago. Overall, I liked Bogota and had a pretty good experience there but after spending considerable amounts of time in Medellin and Cali, I'd recommend those two over the capital. Also, I wouldn't live in la Candelaria, its a decent spot to chill in the day but I wasn't a big fan of the night life there, there's definitely a few cool places to hang out at down there but overall, there's just too much riff raff and crime. That being said, the north around Zona Rosa was a bit too clean and organized (and expensive!) for my liking, I found the area of Chapinero, which is located between the zona rosa and the gritty downtown to be a decent spot, its where all of the students are and there's lots of housing and party options.

Quote: (08-20-2014 10:00 PM)scotian Wrote:  

I studied in Bogota for about six weeks at a place called Nueva Lengua, it was pretty good but also expensive, about $240 USD, over two years ago. Overall, I liked Bogota and had a pretty good experience there but after spending considerable amounts of time in Medellin and Cali, I'd recommend those two over the capital. Also, I wouldn't live in la Candelaria, its a decent spot to chill in the day but I wasn't a big fan of the night life there, there's definitely a few cool places to hang out at down there but overall, there's just too much riff raff and crime. That being said, the north around Zona Rosa was a bit too clean and organized (and expensive!) for my liking, I found the area of Chapinero, which is located between the zona rosa and the gritty downtown to be a decent spot, its where all of the students are and there's lots of housing and party options.

How did you find the pricing for Medellin? My school would be the EAFIT for the CELTA, and it's in El Poblado. I realize I don't have to be centrally located as the transportation is decent. Supposedly Bogota is pretty shit and I would have to stay in La Candelaria to make it convenient enough for school...

Son mas economicos en Medellin? I like what I hear about the warm weather and will probably do like you did and suit up with a nice custom tailor there. Anyways food and stuff I can do for cheap where-ever, but Medellin vs Bogota how are the prices for a decent furnished pad, nothing too fancy at all.

I hear the women are more cold but haven't really read too many direct comparisons between Paisas and Rolas. As a gringo who speaks spanish and can dance decently, does Medellin live up to the hype brother?

Sorry for the interview I just have a deadline and want to make an educated decision, and trust pretty much anything you say vs anyone else on this forum simply because of how you've helped me with the oil sands thread haha.

I've spent some time in both Bogota and Medellin recently, although mostly in Medellin.

I'd say the average girl is cuter and with a better body in Medellin, but they're easier in Bogota.

I'd agree with Scotian about not staying in Candelaria; I stayed close to Zona Rosa and liked it there.

I didn't really pay close attention to my budget in either place; I think rent was a bit more in Bogota, but everything else seemed to be similarly priced.

Personally, for a stay that long I'd stay in Medellin, unless you are going for a high notch count above all else.

Quote: (08-20-2014 10:28 PM)TravellingSoldier Wrote:  

How did you find the pricing for Medellin? My school would be the EAFIT for the CELTA, and it's in El Poblado. I realize I don't have to be centrally located as the transportation is decent. Supposedly Bogota is pretty shit and I would have to stay in La Candelaria to make it convenient enough for school...

Son mas economicos en Medellin? I like what I hear about the warm weather and will probably do like you did and suit up with a nice custom tailor there. Anyways food and stuff I can do for cheap where-ever, but Medellin vs Bogota how are the prices for a decent furnished pad, nothing too fancy at all.

I hear the women are more cold but haven't really read too many direct comparisons between Paisas and Rolas. As a gringo who speaks spanish and can dance decently, does Medellin live up to the hype brother?

Sorry for the interview I just have a deadline and want to make an educated decision, and trust pretty much anything you say vs anyone else on this forum simply because of how you've helped me with the oil sands thread haha.

I'm certainly no authority on Colombia as I haven't spent nearly as much time there as other RVF guys and I too still have a lot to learn about the place but I think I can answer your questions.

Price: Basically everything is cheaper in Medellin, not by a huge margin for your day-to-day expenses, but your dollar goes farther for rent. I rented a furnished one bedroom in the Estadio area of Medellin for $750 and it was quite a bit better than the bachelor I rented in Chapinero, Bogota for $850.

Transport: Taxis are cheap in both cities, I took the Transmilenio bus in Bogota once and will never do so again, I didn't take the metro often in Medellin but it'll get you to Poblado easily, so you can live in another, cheaper area.

Weather: Hands down Medellin is better, they call it the City of Eternal Spring, but for our Canadian asses, its more like summer and on most days its +24-30 and your pale skin will burn there lol. They say Bogota is cold, maybe if you're from Florida but its usually 18-22 during the day, and 10-15 at night, its August 22 and it was -1 last night here in northern Alberta, FML!

Suit: I wouldn't bother, I never did. I had two suits custom made in Bogota but never wore them in Colombia, I only wore them twice in Canada, they are pretty nice though. You'd sweat your bag off in Medellin wearing a suit and walking around, plus the city isn't all that formal, especially your demographic, I didn't see too many people in the 18-22 range suited up, I don't think I ever saw many people suited up in Medellin at all to be honest.

Women: I like Rolas more than Paisas (Calenas are my favorite though). In Bogota its common to meet girls who've studied abroad, speak English very well, have good careers, etc, which makes sense because its the capital and has a ton of unis, apparently its the Athens of South America. In Medellin its more rare and the girls I met and dated definitely had a more provincial attitude, although they're sure that Medellin is the best city in the world, most have never left it! Also the flakiness is no joke, basically everything you read about on here about Medellin has a lot of truth to it, I don't think its quite as overrun with Gringos as some may think, it isn't too hard to find yourself in a situation where you're the only foreigner around. Online game is brutal in Medellin, was for me anyway, Bogota was a lot better, I almost went insane trying to meet up with women in Medellin, it literally drove me to drug and drink.

Age: This could be a factor but I'm not too sure, maybe other guys can chime in on this but I didn't go to Colombia until I was 29 and I'll be 32 by the next time I go. I sometimes date girls in the 18-22 range, so I'm not sure if most of them prefer older guys but I know its quite common down there. I'm not sure how this will play out for a guy your age.

You will have a great time in Colombia, I"m glad to see you go, its really nice country with pretty girls, friendly locals, good parties and some decent outdoor activities, I will be returning in a couple of months.

Quote: (08-22-2014 10:01 PM)scotian Wrote:  

Quote: (08-20-2014 10:28 PM)TravellingSoldier Wrote:  

I'm certainly no authority on Colombia as I haven't spent nearly as much time there as other RVF guys and I too still have a lot to learn about the place but I think I can answer your questions.

Price: Basically everything is cheaper in Medellin, not by a huge margin for your day-to-day expenses, but your dollar goes farther for rent. I rented a furnished one bedroom in the Estadio area of Medellin for $750 and it was quite a bit better than the bachelor I rented in Chapinero, Bogota for $850.

Transport: Taxis are cheap in both cities, I took the Transmilenio bus in Bogota once and will never do so again, I didn't take the metro often in Medellin but it'll get you to Poblado easily, so you can live in another, cheaper area.

Weather: Hands down Medellin is better, they call it the City of Eternal Spring, but for our Canadian asses, its more like summer and on most days its +24-30 and your pale skin will burn there lol. They say Bogota is cold, maybe if you're from Florida but its usually 18-22 during the day, and 10-15 at night, its August 22 and it was -1 last night here in northern Alberta, FML!

Suit: I wouldn't bother, I never did. I had two suits custom made in Bogota but never wore them in Colombia, I only wore them twice in Canada, they are pretty nice though. You'd sweat your bag off in Medellin wearing a suit and walking around, plus the city isn't all that formal, especially your demographic, I didn't see too many people in the 18-22 range suited up, I don't think I ever saw many people suited up in Medellin at all to be honest.

Women: I like Rolas more than Paisas (Calenas are my favorite though). In Bogota its common to meet girls who've studied abroad, speak English very well, have good careers, etc, which makes sense because its the capital and has a ton of unis, apparently its the Athens of South America. In Medellin its more rare and the girls I met and dated definitely had a more provincial attitude, although they're sure that Medellin is the best city in the world, most have never left it! Also the flakiness is no joke, basically everything you read about on here about Medellin has a lot of truth to it, I don't think its quite as overrun with Gringos as some may think, it isn't too hard to find yourself in a situation where you're the only foreigner around. Online game is brutal in Medellin, was for me anyway, Bogota was a lot better, I almost went insane trying to meet up with women in Medellin, it literally drove me to drug and drink.

Age: This could be a factor but I'm not too sure, maybe other guys can chime in on this but I didn't go to Colombia until I was 29 and I'll be 32 by the next time I go. I sometimes date girls in the 18-22 range, so I'm not sure if most of them prefer older guys but I know its quite common down there. I'm not sure how this will play out for a guy your age.

You will have a great time in Colombia, I"m glad to see you go, its really nice country with pretty girls, friendly locals, good parties and some decent outdoor activities, I will be returning in a couple of months.

Thank you for the awesome comparison man. I actually want to buy the suit for when I go to Cambodia to teach English. Not really planning to suit up in Colombia.

As for the older guy thing, I get a lot of older girls (24-28) so I presume the maturity stake would have some sort of play. Most people tell me I look 21/22 when I first meet them, so that's what I'm going to tell the girls. If it's common place younger/older relationships I should have no problems picking up a milf. From what I see on POF Medellin, most ladies in the 40-45 range take care of themselves better than 28-35 year olds here!! Ludicrous lol.

Anyways thanks again I'll never know until I experience it myself so I'm going to try to hit Medellin this time, Bogota in the future and make my decision for which one is better then. Hopefully I'll be able to provide even more data for the forum to use.