rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

1 year in Japan
year in Japan
I really loved Tokyo and literally fell in love with it, the J culture, the food and of course, the super mad fly J girls and will everything to return there but this time, for at least a year. I realize my best option is to apply for the Working Holiday Visa which would allow me to stay there for a year and both work/study. I do not plan on working there, as I'll be running my little online biz, however, I do plan on enrolling in a J language course and other cool activities like Aikido, Judo etc...

Now, has anyone from here gone this route? I mean applied for the Working Holiday Visa and stayed in Japan for 1 year or more?

Also, while I did love Tokyo with a capital L, I'd like to spend time in other cities in Japan as well. I keep hearing/reading names like Osaka, Nagoya, Hiroshima, Yokohoma etc... Anyone here stayed long time in these places? If yes, I'd love to hear your thoughts/feedback on them. I also keep on reading that while the Hokkaido region is cold as hell, it happens to have the hottest and wildest girls in all of Japan? Is there any truth to that? I also keep on hearing that the Fukoka region has basically a tropical climate and has some nice beaches. Anyone from here been there?

I'm calling on all the Japan experts in here to shed some lights about Japan and living there for a year (at least initially, who knows after...).

Arigato gozaimsu!
year in Japan
I lived in Japan for awhile and know the country pretty well. I also speak pretty darn fluent conversational Japanese. You're welcome to ask me anything you'd like.

As far as where to live, Japan is pretty urban. There are the two major regions, Kanto (Tokyo and Yokohama) and Kansai ( Osaka, Kobe and Kyoto). Nagoya is another very large city and i'd name Fukuoka as another desirable city.

IMO, Hokkaido isn't that desirable. Sapporo has wide-American-like streets and was built fairly recently. It's also isolated from the rest of the country. Hokkaido, does however have much better nature opportunities. The area Tokyo and southward is more populated. The Kansai area is a popular choice if you want something a little less crazy than the Tokyo area. Kobe in particular is a pleasant city and one of the most desirable places to live in Japan. However, in reality, Tokyo is where it's at. Otherwise you might also try your hand in smaller cities southward.

I'd spend about 2-3 weeks traveling the country, seeing the sites and seeing whether you'd prefer a larger or smaller city. I don't recommend rural areas though, as they seem to be most populated with the elderly.

Finally, of course in Asia you can also always look into teaching English. Since you seem to already be financially independent, i'd recommend it simply more because it will give you a good avenue to meet locals. There are a lot of foreigners in Japan and it is a fascinating place.
year in Japan
I'm looking to spend some time in Japan next year after I finish my degree. I plan to get a TEFL qualification and teach a bit of English (it won't make money but will cover living costs).

VP, be sure to write about your experiences and post some datasheets!
year in Japan
I haven't been to Japan yet, but since you mentioned aikido in your post, I thought I'd recommend the book Angry White Pyjamas. It's a true account of a British guy spending a year (at least) in Japan while learning aikido in the hardest way possible. It's pretty well written and funny, and might give you an idea of what to expect from a long-term stay.
year in Japan
Whaaaa??

What happened to all the LOS lust?
year in Japan
Haha dude I'm kind of in a similar situation, I have an online biz (AM), live in Toronto and want to go to Tokyo with the 1 year WHV. Let me know how it goes man! I haven't visited yet but I've been all over Asia - don't know how I missed Japan. Airfare is kinda pricy, still shopping around for good deals from YYZ to visit so I can check out the place first!

I'd probably get a part time job teaching English just to get immersed in the local culture, and hopefully learn the language - I already kinda know Chinese so I think I could start reading Japanese fast.

Alternatively, I'm considering living in Montreal for a bit (warmer months), and then escape to Japan as soon as Canada goes into deep freeze again.
year in Japan
Whosyourdaddy,
Thanks for the insight and the offer to ask you questions about J-Land. I will take you up on that no doubt. [Image: smile.gif] I'll pm you with questions shortly.
Where in Japan did you live? for how long if you don't mind me asking you?

I've been thinking about maybe I should teach English or even French or Portuguese there part time, not for money reasons but mainly to meet locals and make contacts. I think that would be a very efficient way to achieve that in Japan. When I was in Tokyo, I did see a lot of ads for positions to teach English there and I'm sure they are not that difficult to get and not very demanding as a job as in most cases, you'd be just helping the Japanese students to practice their english and basically chat with you. Am I right with this assumption (asking the guys who have taught English in Japan)?

Now, here's a dilemma I'm having: Japan is a risky place when it comes to natural disasters, mainly earthquakes and tsunamis. Just yesterday, there was apparently a major quake in the north east of Japan that was felt in Tokyo but thankfully no damage was done. I'd like to know which area of Japan has the lowest risks of quakes? I mean, this is a serious matter specially if one is to live in Japan for a year or more. Can anyone chip in on that matter?

Gringoed,
Yeah I loved LOS and the Phils and I can't wait to go back, however, I feel that these are places to party and have fun, while Japan is a place for more serious stuff. Sure, one can still have a TON of fun in Jland, but it's a more serious and mature country if you know what I mean. Not sure if that makes sense to you guys.

Kurupt,
Awesome to read another successful Torontonian here!(we have a few here form TO town which is awesome![Image: banana.gif] I'll definitely let you know how it goes, specially the WHV process. Btw, when do you plan on applying for that? I am considering doing it in the summer so I can leave to Nippon around October-November.
year in Japan
Quote: (03-10-2011 12:05 AM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

Whosyourdaddy,
Thanks for the insight and the offer to ask you questions about J-Land. I will take you up on that no doubt. [Image: smile.gif] I'll pm you with questions shortly.
Where in Japan did you live? for how long if you don't mind me asking you?

I've been thinking about maybe I should teach English or even French or Portuguese there part time, not for money reasons but mainly to meet locals and make contacts. I think that would be a very efficient way to achieve that in Japan. When I was in Tokyo, I did see a lot of ads for positions to teach English there and I'm sure they are not that difficult to get and not very demanding as a job as in most cases, you'd be just helping the Japanese students to practice their english and basically chat with you. Am I right with this assumption (asking the guys who have taught English in Japan)?

Now, here's a dilemma I'm having: Japan is a risky place when it comes to natural disasters, mainly earthquakes and tsunamis. Just yesterday, there was apparently a major quake in the north east of Japan that was felt in Tokyo but thankfully no damage was done. I'd like to know which area of Japan has the lowest risks of quakes? I mean, this is a serious matter specially if one is to live in Japan for a year or more. Can anyone chip in on that matter?

Gringoed,
Yeah I loved LOS and the Phils and I can't wait to go back, however, I feel that these are places to party and have fun, while Japan is a place for more serious stuff. Sure, one can still have a TON of fun in Jland, but it's a more serious and mature country if you know what I mean. Not sure if that makes sense to you guys.

Kurupt,
Awesome to read another successful Torontonian here!(we have a few here form TO town which is awesome![Image: banana.gif] I'll definitely let you know how it goes, specially the WHV process. Btw, when do you plan on applying for that? I am considering doing it in the summer so I can leave to Nippon around October-November.

I lived mainly in Tokyo. I lived there about 7 months, but i've been involved with Japan since 1991.

One caveat with teaching english in Japan. If you compare it with teaching in other countries, Japan is quite different. Japan is turning quite inward and much fewer people are learning English. Nevertheless, it will give you a great chance to meet locals, including women. Dave's ESL Cafe eslcafe.com (for teaching english) and Japan Today japantoday.com for general Japan stuff is a good start.

As far as earthquakes, Japan does have a lot of earthquakes.
But for the most part, it is no more a concern than it is in Los Angeles or San Francisco. If the earthquake risk is enough for you to not spend time in LA or SF, then Japan would be similar. Most earthquakes aren't that severe and kill few people. It is more a problem for people who permanently live there, as replacing a home & belongings is costly.

I'd hardly think that would be a reason not to spend time there, but if it is a major concern, you could seek a city that is not on a major fault line and try to seek a concrete home and not one made of wood.
year in Japan
@ VC

Yeah man, same story here, will probably apply in July and see how it goes!

@ whosyourdaddy

nice info man, do you know of any other good jobs available to non japanese speakers? i realize i can scrape the job boards, just wanted to hear the inside scoop [Image: biggrin.gif]
year in Japan
Dude are you ok? I heard a massive earthquake rocked Japan
year in Japan
The only thing that freaks me out about living in Japan is this constant thread of earthquakes and tsunamis which is the highest in the world. Look at what just hit Japan, it's freaking scary to say the least. I remember when I was in Tokyo, each night before sleeping, I was praying that nothing would happen (read quakes while I was sleeping) or while riding the metro. While nothing happened in my short stay there, the fear was always present. I realize people have been living with this reality in Japan since the beginning of time, and I realize I need not to worry to much about it, but it's easier said than done. I don't think it's a matter of being a pussy, but rather a legit concern and a basic survival reflex. Would like to know how those who lived in Japan for a few months to a few years coped with that constant thread?
year in Japan
There is now a threat of nuclear catastrophe in Japan. Experts say it could be worse than Chernobyl. Hope they fix it.
year in Japan
I may have a chance to work overseas in 3-4 years, and I'm thinking that Okinawa (military base) might be the ticket. I hear its the Japanese Hawaii, and that people are a lot more laid back there than in the rest of Japan. If any Playboy's care to to some recon and post a data sheet, it would be much appreciated!
year in Japan
Hydro,
It'll be my pleasure to oblige when I return there next fall. If someone else in here goes there before, the please post a sheet!
What type of work will you be doing? Teaching? Expatriate? If you can get an expat job in J-land, that would be sweet!

Can't wait to return to Nipon!
year in Japan
Btw, is or has anyone read this book? Black passenger, yellow cab? by Stephen FD Bryan, a Jamaican-American guy who lived in Japan for a few years and is basically telling about his amazing time there with the ladies. He also gives some very good info/background about the J-culture and psyche. A must read to anyone who's interested in visiting Japan. Hilarious too!
year in Japan
Quote: (03-24-2011 05:56 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

Hydro,
It'll be my pleasure to oblige when I return there next fall. If someone else in here goes there before, the please post a sheet!
What type of work will you be doing? Teaching? Expatriate? If you can get an expat job in J-land, that would be sweet!

Can't wait to return to Nipon!

hell yes it would. Health related services for the 120,000 US citizens stationed there.

That is unless entrepreneurial options pan out before then...

I'm with you on the Nipon lust. After your original post about your time there, I got on google maps, went down to a street view in Harajuku, and traced some of the random walking that I did in and outside the area. Just for the memories... awesome. Gotta love the modern age.
year in Japan
Cool, just make sure if you stay near the water, that your crib will be located on top of a hill just in case man...Better be safe than sorry!
year in Japan
Quote: (03-24-2011 05:59 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

Btw, is or has anyone read this book? Black passenger, yellow cab? by Stephen FD Bryan, a Jamaican-American guy who lived in Japan for a few years and is basically telling about his amazing time there with the ladies. He also gives some very good info/background about the J-culture and psyche. A must read to anyone who's interested in visiting Japan. Hilarious too!

I'll definitely check it out. I love books set in Japan. I can recommend "Max Danger", by Robert Collins, about an American Businessman in Japan with his family. It too is hilarious, especially if you like dry humor. Good insights on J culture also. Additionally, its written really well...

Oh, and Black Passenger, Yellow Cab is a hilarious book title...
year in Japan
So, get this. Your book recommendation intrigued me to the point where I went and followed through to get a kindle. Damn you.

And yeah, a place as high above sea elevation as possible will be a necessity, if I actually go. I have a feeling that hose places will be in high demand though. Maybe an apartment complex is the best option in that situation. Also, getting hired by the government isn't exactly a cakewalk. But we'll see. I envision myself back in Japan to spend at least a year, somehow.
year in Japan
Once things have gotten cleaned up in Japan and there's a guarantee there's going to be no nuclear meltdown or disaster this is definitely something I would consider. Could be really cool to live in Japan for a while.

Having just looked at the visa website it seems you can get any sort of work you like apart from working in a bar, club or licensed venue. Can't think what sort of work aside from teaching english a non Japanese speaking foreigner could get. Any ideas?
year in Japan
If you are relatively good looking, as a westerner, you can get spot gigs in television throughout asia.

In Japan, the there is a little more of a non-english teaching job market than there is in other countries. If you speak Japanese, its almost wide open.

Popular jobs include head hunting for English speaking business talent to work in Japan (you can do well in this if your good - Im not sure how bilingual you need to be though) and performing wedding ceremonies (its a novelty for Japanese to have a western style wedding with a western minister). If I can think of more, I'll come back here and post. I'm sure that there are a lot more.

The best strategy is to move there and hustle for the 5 or so years that it would take to become fluent in japanese. Once that happens, then you will have a lot more options including translation work and University work as a professor if you combine the bilingualism with an advanced degree in teaching english.

I think I once calculated the average per word rate as a Japanese-English translator to average out to something like $60k per year in income if you work full time. Don't hold me to that, though.
year in Japan
Quote: (03-24-2011 05:00 PM)hydrogonian Wrote:  

I may have a chance to work overseas in 3-4 years, and I'm thinking that Okinawa (military base) might be the ticket. I hear its the Japanese Hawaii, and that people are a lot more laid back there than in the rest of Japan. If any Playboy's care to to some recon and post a data sheet, it would be much appreciated!

I don't recommend Okinawa, it's not all it's cracked up to be. Lived on a base on Honshu in Japan for a few years growing up though, the main island close to Tokyo is where it's at.

Vice-Captain - #TeamWaitAndSee
year in Japan
Nice. Can you elaborate on why not Okinawa and perhaps why you recommend being near Tokyo?
year in Japan
Quote: (03-24-2011 08:50 PM)hydrogonian Wrote:  

Nice. Can you elaborate on why not Okinawa and perhaps why you recommend being near Tokyo?

I was stationed in Okinawa for a year. It's like Japan's West Virginia. The island reeks of pig shit. The U.S. military presence has ruined it for foreigners, and the women weren't near as hot. Good diving though.
year in Japan
if you are in Toronto the best source of information about the working holiday visa program would probably be all the japanese kids who are there on WHV. You could use this site, jpcanada.com, to try to connect with some of them. i believe its in Japanese so use google traslate. otherwise just look for a language exchange partner through craigslist and i'm sure you can connect w some people who are happy to help.

one pretty big issue w living in japan is accomodation. short term rentals have tended to be very expensive and really only for people w expense accounts. full year leases are possible but require large deposits and a guaranteer. the situation varies from city to city, though, and i would really recommend making this a major consideration in figuring out where you want to go.

i would definitely recommend you go to Kansai and then depending on your personality and preferences probably Osaka. kansai is three very different cities in one, you get a little bit of the best of everything. also its much cheaper than tokyo.