rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Canadian Thread: Automatic Common Law Marriage

Canadian poster here.

This thread is mostly aimed at other Canadians but it could also be interesting (or rage-inducing) for people from other countries.

I just wanted to start a discussion about the common law marriage rules in our country, which say that a couple that's been cohabitating for 6 months to a year are "automatically a married couple by common law."

I already knew this, but I just assumed it was the case everywhere. I never really thought twice about it.

Yet I recently came across this image that spelled it out in a way that makes me think it's REALLY FUCKED UP!!!!

Check it out:

[Image: fApL5lr.jpg]

What do you think?

I remember reading somewhere that when Canada decriminalize homosexuality the minister who made the law said "there's no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation". (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_La...t,_1968-69)

Well, it sounds like the state is coming right back into the bedrooms of the nation.

Really no point now in dating in Canada. You either marry foreign and bring her home or go abroad, simple as that.

That can't be real can it? I checked this article, a canadian billionaire dated a girl for 10 years and had 3 kids and didn't have to pay alimony:

http://www.examiner.com/article/no-alimo...ourt-rules

Quote: (07-25-2014 10:19 PM)Celtic Wrote:  

That can't be real can it? I checked this article, a canadian billionaire dated a girl for 10 years and had 3 kids and didn't have to pay alimony:

http://www.examiner.com/article/no-alimo...ourt-rules

1. It was in Quebec which operates like its own country
2. It only dealt with alimony
3. Beware of this in Canada (and some US states) you can be on the hook for common law on a property basis and you can also be on the hook for this child support ass rape...if you are determined to be 'acting in the place of the father' you can be assigned child support.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

Saw this coming, doubt the US will be too far behind.

In Quebec you're safe but just about every other province has automatic common law.

Hopefully I'll be out of this godforsaken country soon.

Quote: (07-25-2014 11:48 PM)Collide Wrote:  

In Quebec you're safe but just about every other province has automatic common law.

Hopefully I'll be out of this godforsaken country soon.

Question:

Is it dating for 6 months or living together for 6 months? My understanding is that it only applies if you are living together.

The climate alone is a good enough reason to leave, add to that high levels of female entitlement and now you get guaranteed government theft(and lets not forget taxes). Escape while you can.

Quebec runs on Civil law, not Common law like Canada. Louisiana runs on the same Quebec model also, both borrowed from France.

It is similar in Germany.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

They know marriage numbers are going down. They going to get you anyway they can.

Deus vult!

It's 3 years here in Croatia, which is already stupid. Seeing this at 6 months is like a nightmare! All concern for fairness or decency has been thrown to the wind here.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Quote: (07-26-2014 05:12 AM)Handsome Creepy Eel Wrote:  

It's 3 years here in Croatia, which is already stupid. Seeing this at 6 months is like a nightmare! All concern for fairness or decency has been thrown to the wind here.

I have to check for Hungary asap.

Deus vult!

Quote: (07-26-2014 04:30 AM)Glaucon Wrote:  

They know marriage numbers are going down. They going to get you anyway they can.

Yep definitely. I wouldn't be surprised if divorce lawyers were behind these laws. Considering most politicians are lawyers I have no doubt.

I just did a quick search for the Philippines and it said it is 5 years there. 5 years actually seems reasonable.

Quote: (07-26-2014 05:51 AM)username Wrote:  

I just did a quick search for the Philippines and it said it is 5 years there. 5 years actually seems reasonable.

My respect for that country grows every day. As I get closer and closer to my launch point, the odds that Philippines will be the target are growing too.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

People should live in a common law relationship in order to see if the person is spouse material as the divorce rate is through the roof.

What if you have a roomate,,,,what is stopping them from lying and saying that you were a couple? With all of these false rape claims, it's going in that direction. The state has no place in the bedroom nor should it have to pick up the pieces of a messy breakup. This common law designation was designed so that men can be left on the hook to pay for the female once the relationship sours.

I'm confused by a lot of your reactions. A lot of you guys are acting like common law marriage is something new, it's been around for quite a while. Ontario's had it since 1990.

Quote: (07-25-2014 11:15 PM)Ziltoid Wrote:  

Saw this coming, doubt the US will be too far behind.

It already exists in certain states: Alabama, Colorado, Kansas, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Iowa, Montana, Utah and Texas and the District of Columbia.

The trend has actually been away from common law marriage too, as recently as 2005...

Quote:Quote:

Common-law marriages can no longer be contracted in the following states, as of the dates given: Alaska (1917), Arizona (1913), California (1895), Florida (1968), Georgia (1997), Hawaii (1920), Idaho (1996), Illinois (1905), Indiana (1958), Kentucky (1852), Maine (1652, when it became part of Massachusetts; then a state, 1820), Massachusetts (1646), Michigan (1957), Minnesota (1941), Mississippi (1956), Missouri (1921), Nebraska (1923), Nevada (1943), New Mexico (1860), New Jersey (1939), New York (1933, also 1902–1908), North Dakota (1890), Ohio (1991), Pennsylvania (2005), South Dakota (1959), and Wisconsin (1917).

The following states never permitted common-law marriages: Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Louisiana, Maryland, North Carolina, Oregon, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming. Note that common-law marriage was never known in Louisiana, which is a French civil or code law jurisdiction, not an English common law jurisdiction.

Quote: (07-26-2014 10:33 AM)tomtud Wrote:  

The state has no place in the bedroom nor should it have to pick up the pieces of a messy breakup. This common law designation was designed so that men can be left on the hook to pay for the female once the relationship sours.

Yup. Basically it exists so that women can still claim alimony from a boyfriend they lived with long-term, the justification feminists used is that a lot of couples live together for years and have kids together without getting married now (this is an especially common practice in Scandinavia) and that these women deserve alimony too. 1 year seems to the time period in most jurisdictions.

People should live in a common law relationship in order to see if the person is spouse material as the divorce rate is through the roof.

What if you have a roomate,,,,what is stopping them from lying and saying that you were a couple? With all of these false rape claims, it's going in that direction. The state has no place in the bedroom nor should it have to pick up the pieces of a messy breakup. This common law designation was designed so that men can be left on the hook to pay for the female once the relationship sours.

Have any live in girlfriend sign a Roommate agreement/lease.

Quote: (07-26-2014 04:28 AM)void Wrote:  

It is similar in Germany.

Really? Have you a source?

Quote: (07-26-2014 10:55 AM)Emancipator Wrote:  

Have any live in girlfriend sign a Roommate agreement/lease.

This seems like the best step. You can even draft your own sub-lease up in most places and just outline the divisions of possessions and property for the duration of the lease and there-after on a month-to-month basis.

Andy_B,

Thanks for the share. I wonder (not really) which group pushed for this, men or women.

Of all the legislation a government can work on, geesh.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

It's not marriage until both parties sign the marriage certificate. Anything else is bullshit.

If they wanted to enforce this ridiculous common law shit the law should be once you have a kid with a bitch you're considered married.

Living with a bitch is meaningless.

Team Nachos

Its an old law and it does not stand up in court for anything other than kids. If you live with a woman for a year and she tries to take half your shit the lawyers and judge would laugh in her face.

Its a non issue. Well unless you have lived together for 30 years, met when the guy was a rookie on the sales lot and now owns 20 dealerships and she helped him out all along the grind. That woman will be getting alimony for damned sure.

Quote: (07-26-2014 02:51 PM)Laner Wrote:  

Its an old law and it does not stand up in court for anything other than kids. If you live with a woman for a year and she tries to take half your shit the lawyers and judge would laugh in her face.

Its a non issue. Well unless you have lived together for 30 years, met when the guy was a rookie on the sales lot and now owns 20 dealerships and she helped him out all along the grind. That woman will be getting alimony for damned sure.

I'm not so sure about that. I've been told by a shark lawyer that theoretically a dame in mala Fides, could demand half your shit the moment you bring her to the bedroom.
He was dead serious. Cohabitation is almost a giveaway of half your things if she was really vicious. This applies to Ontario, couldn't tell you up about other provinces.