rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

On my way to Tokyo today...

Was supposed to go Costa Rica, then Buenos Aires came in mind and finally me and my buddy settle on a truly dope place and that is Tokyo for a week. I'm flying today noon and will get there tomorrow afternoon. Anyone from here will be in town at the same time, just pm me or post it here to go for drinks/swooping together. Any last minute tips/suggestions for good clubs/lounges and hotels there?

I'll report of course upon my return,

Cheers guys.

Stay in Shinjuku

Arrived earlier this afternoon after a very tranquil and uneventful flight with Air Canada, direct flight from Toronto, about 13 hours. Am here with a buddy of mine. Staying in Ikebukuro, will probably look for another area tomorrow. So far, the area looks good but want a better hotel. First impressions of Tokyo is that its the people are the nicest, friendliest and most helpful in the world, the length they would go to help you is at times embarrasingly nice. Cleanest and safest city Ive been to so far anywhere in the world. Most technologically advanced city in the world. Delicious food. And the woman are out of the scale. I thought that the women in BKK were awesome, but Tokyo women blow their BKK sisters out of the water. Most fashionable, feminine, classy, elegant and beautiful women Ive seen so far in Asia and among the most beautiful in the world hands down. All in all, Tokyo is THE shit!I only wish I knew some Japanese. I am starting Japanese lessons right now as we speak. Tonight, after coming from dinner, saw some beautiful girls waiting in front of a place that looked like a bar or club in Ikebukuro and they gave us some nice smiles. But both me and my buddy were totally exhausted and tired not to mention jet lagged and in dire need of sleep, so we didnt do anything. Suffice to say that this place has amazing potential, specially if one speaks some Japanese. I am LOVING Tokyo!

Lumiere, going to Shinjuku tomorrow.

What was the fare from YYZ?

Vacancier Permanent,

Would you share on you budget and the costs of staying there, finance related stuff.

Just returned from being all day and all night out, and completely exhausted. Will just say one thing; Ive been all over the world and the place ive seen with the highest concentration of absolutely stunners so far is Shibuya, Tokyo. Simply unreal, words cannot describe how elegant, feminine, fashionably sexily the J-girls dress and their demeanour just make them simply irresistible and among the most, if not the most beautiful in the world IMO. As I said, words cannot describe what I saw tonight. You simply have to come here and see it to believe it. Just INSANE and UNREAL! Not only the girls but also the whole district is simply too overwhelming, specially if its your first time there.

Manila guy,
Yeah, Tokyo is definitely living up it to its reputation as one of the most expensive cities in the world. Tonight, just for a dinner at a typical and traditional japanese place a simple bowl of rice with tiger shrimps and 2 local beers cost over 40 bucks per person. Expensive yes but oh so delicious! The same in Toronto would cost maybe 15 bucks, perhaps $20 tops while in BKK, Id say 7-10 bucks in a nice restaurant or 5 bucks in a Thai area just to give some perspective.

Because this trip was extremely spontaneous at the very last minute, like I found out Id be flying to Tokyo on Wednesday noon just before midnight on Tuesday night so not much time to get ready. But I do see some very good hotels here and next time I come, I will reserve in advance in a nicer hotel in a better area even tough Ikebukuro is quite nice of an area. As I said before, this is a reconnaissance trip. I will definitely come back here for a longer time. Ideally, Id like to spend 6 months to a year in Japan to really immerse myself into the J culture and learn the lingo really well not only because I have always been fascinated by the J culture but also because the key to swoop the really really beautiful girls in Tokyo and Japan in general is to speak the lingo. I believe as a matter of fact, the better Japanese you speak, the higher calibre of girls youd get. This is true universally but is even truer in Asia and in Japan more specifically IMO because of the cultural aspects of everything here.

As to how much Im spending in Tokyo, not sure, I[Image: biggrin.gif] say at least 1K in 3 days so far. But again, Tokyo definitely aint for the cheap backpaper/penny pincher. You could do Tokyo on the cheap but it wouldnt be Tokyo, nor fun IMO. After I return home from Tokyo, I will be able to post a better picture of how much this trip cost me and the financial parts of it.

Manabout, the fare for the return ticket YYZ-NRT cost me next to nothing as I only paid the taxes on the ticket ($300) as my buddy works for AC and he took me with him. So got lucky and could have been even luckier if I would have been upgraded to first class on the first leg. I will try again in the return and hopefully I will get it then.

Quote: (02-23-2011 08:41 AM)Lumiere Wrote:  

Stay in Shinjuku

Moving tomorrow to the Hilton in Shinjuku. Was quoted $300/night but since my buddy works for Air Canada and they have a special deal, it comes to about 100 bucks a night. That for a hotel in Tokyo is CHEAP and for a hotel of the calibre of the Hilton and specially in one of the dopest areas of Tokyo, Shinjuku is a steal. Went there today to do a reconnaissance and its an awesome area. Each area/district of Tokyo is more awesome than the other. Was in Harajuku in the afternoon and it was unbelievable. Girls dressing in the most craziest way possible (think cartoonesque) yet very sexy. Speaking of girls, Im going gaga here for the J girls. They are simply unreal. However, J language is a must to crack the hottest ones, the ones that are really head turners. The typical standard younger J girl (high teens to late 20s) attire is boots, dark pantyhose, short shorts or mini skirt. Then, as they get in their late 20s and beyond, they get very stylish, wearing the latest designer clothing and the best fashionable clothes money can buy anywhere and are a joy to watch. I am simply LOVING IT and falling in love with Tokyo like with no other city! Wish girls were dressing like that in Canada...

Btw, any good clubs to go to during the week? How about for a monday night? What club/bar/lounge you would recommend? I know Roppongi is the place to go for nightlife, but is there any that are open and good for during the week?

Thanks guys!

Totally agree with you man. Just been to Tokyo and I have never seen so many hot women. I had a really great time there. However after 10 days I realised that these chicks are totally ungameable. At least the hot ones. Behind the fashion they are a conservative bunch and eye contact is virtually non existent. I never realised how in other parts of the world people are always checking each other out.

Clubs.. Lex and Ferrai in Roppongi are full of western models. I'm not into gaming models personally as they can be a stuck up bunch but good fun for the eye candy. Also a place called Alife is very popular with the Japs and tourists. It gets seriously packed and might be a good place to try some night game.

Gaspanic is awful but you will probably be able to pick yourself up a Japanese 6.

Be sure to walk around Harajuku in the day on a weekend.

Tokyo is amazing, and as you now know recommendations are almost pointless due to the sheer expanse of the city. You'll run into good stuff just through random (yet exhausting) exploration. I took a bunch of business cards form places that I enjoyed, but don't know where they are now, unfortunately. This was four years ago. After I did the obvious districts such as Shibuya, Shinjuku, and Harajuku, would just get off at random subway stops and walk round during the day, stopping in at random restaurants and bars at night (had a lot of luck in the less touristy east-central end of the city). Had a lot of fun that way, and found a lot of out of the way places that I never otherwise would have. To people that haven't been there, its hard to describe the overwhelming enormity of the place and therefore why this random strategy might work.

Tokyo girls are looking for excitement. I also know that knowledge Japanese etiquette helps immensely in ingratiating oneself with the denizens. You know all of this by now.

I'm extremely jealous, and can't wait to get back. Although, i think I'll do Osaka or maybe even somewhere smaller next time. I'm a city boy, and places akin to NYC are no problem for me. But Tokyo was overwhelming even for me. Loved it, though. The mix of old and modern Japan is like magic to me. Have fun man.

If you can hook up with ANY Japanese that will act as your defacto welcoming guides, your experience will be amplified tenfold, I think. Even consider a couchsurf, just to meet people.

So you're just drooling at the girls and not befriending them?
Never been to Japan but I think the girls in the smaller cities are more gameable.

I'll probably go there next year. I'm lucky to know a few young and crazy Japanese guys who are born and raised in Tokyo.

Got back yesterday and all I can say is that Tokyo is the sickest place I have ever been to. Now that I'm back in Toronto, I feel like I'm in a ghetto compared to Tokyo (and I do live in a nice area in Toronto). No place in the world made such a hugely positive impact nor blew my mind like Tokyo did. I'm starting a japanese course soon and am planning on returning there for 6-12 months and enroll there in a school to learn/improve the lingo, get into the J culture and of course, have a ball with the super fly J girls. Speaking of which, G, this is a place custom made for you bro! Mad fly girls, very fashionable people and a megalopolis to blow your mind with food to die for and one of the top 3 night life scenes on the planet. From what I saw there, I reckon a budget of $5-7K+/month would be required to have a good time in Tokyo, with a nice pad in a central location like say in Shinjuku, Shibuya without having to work. I did see some ads for apartments in these area for about 2-3k/month. I wonder if in other cities like Osaka, Nagoya, Yokohoma or even further down in Fukoka, rentals are cheaper. Anyone with experience in renting a place in a nice area of these towns or even in Tokyo for say 3-6 months?

You're spot on Hydro with your comments on Tokyo. I'm also used to big cities but I was overwhelmed with Tokyo. Like you, the mix of old and modern Japan is magic to me too. Love it how you're in the middle of a hugely populated area like Shibuya yet you're just a few minutes away from a very tranquil and relaxing park or temple. I also did what you mention about getting off at random stations and just wander around and explore. Was fun and got to try some truly local restaurants where few foreigners ever venture there. I wish I was able to prepare for this trip and make some contacts before hand in Tokyo like I usually do before I hit a place, but this was a very spontaneous trip where I had less than 12 hours to get to the airport kind of thing. However, I'm already making contacts for when I return there.

Richie,
spot on about how the very beautiful girls in Tokyo are kind of ungamable and that's where knowledge of Japanese is vital to have a chance to crack them open. Approached a few to ask directions and get some recommendations/suggestions and they were very nice and helpful for that but as soon as you make a move, they run away and the language barrier becomes a major obstacle.

There is a video that somebody posted on RSD a while ago about the male host industry in Japan. It's a documentary titled Great Happiness Space. I am pretty sure it was on youtube, but I don't see it there anymore. Do a search for it and watch it. Fascinating stuff.

Tokyo sounds awesome. Thanks for the data sheet man. How's the weather there compared to Toronto's weather?

How was the food in Tokyo? I like Japanese cuisine and I want to back to the source to really experience it.

Torontokid,
Weather wise, it is of course better than TO right now, but it was still cold nonetheless, specially at night where it was quite windy and cold. I'd say during the day, it can be nice, up to 12-15C while at night, it can go to 0. And this is the coldest time of the year in Tokyo. Spring is lovely based on what I heard from people there, specially during the cherry blossom season which is the first week of April. Google it, you'll love the pics and would want to hop on a plane to be there for that.

As to the food, it is simply heavenly, specially the sushi bars, where you can eat all kind of fresh raw fish for about 1-2 buck a plate (usually 2 pieces and 2 small pieces of rice), so in total, for about 15-20 bucks, you can get stuffed on that thing and let me tell you that it is absolutely delicious, specially the tuna. Oh my, I miss those little places. If you go there, the first thing I'd suggest you is take advantage of the jet lag and time difference and wake up very early the first day, say around 4am and head off to the Tsukiji fish market, which is the biggest fish market in Japan and probably in the world. You'll see all kinds of fresh fish and sea food that you didn't even know existed and most of them without a name in English yet. If you're lucky and plan it smartly, you can even get a glimpse of the auctions where the fishermen sell huge tuna fish they just caught to Tokyo restaurant owners. The auction used to be open to tourists but it's not anymore. One way to get around it is to go through a tour. If you time it right, it's well worth it. When you make it to Tokyo, make sure to bring lots of loot as you'll need it and be prepared to be blown away like no other city in the planet. Tokyo is simply off the charts. No city can compare to it in any aspect whatsoever. Tokyo is what a perfect, modern city should look like. And when you return from Tokyo to TO, you'll feel like you're in a ghetto. I am not kidding. As a matter of fact, any city in North America is a 3rd if not 4th world city compared to Tokyo.

I'm glad you had a good time in Tokyo VP. It's an amazing place. Girls look like anime characters walking around. SOOOOOO sexy. They can be hard to crack though. Kona has dropped some intel on j-girls in Hawaii. I wonder if they loosen up when on vacation. It might be a cheaper, easier way to break the code and make contacts.

Let us know how you do with your future housing in Tokyo. That's one of the most frustrating aspects of Tokyo: they don't like to rent to 'gaijin'.

I hadn't tried to rent myself, but was apprised of the situation having been across the pond in Korea and having researched Japan as a possible future ESL teaching destination. I know that it can be done, but its most commonly with the help of an employer. Many (most?) foreigners stay in community 'gaijin' houses until they get set up through an employer.

Maybe there are options/loopholes, or maybe the situation has changed. I'd be interested to know about Tokyo/Japan housing options, just for the data sheet. Keep us updated.

Japan is, hands down, the sickest first world country on the planet, especially for its size. You pay for it, but they do everything that they do to top quality standards. And frankly, I love the politeness and the underlying 'code' that permeates every interaction. In a lot of ways, they perfected enlightened civil society. Even the underworld still adheres to a strict code (a different type of code than the Italian mafia). A social code that permeates that deep is something to admire. I think that a lot of the 'ghetto' feeling when you go anywhere else is at least partly due to the noticeable lack of civility when compared to Japan. Of course, that civility extends to the maintenance of its physical appearance too. No city that big is going to be perfect, but they do a hell of a job in Tokyo, considering its size. Just don't go to the top of whatever building that is (listed in the tour-books) that has the panoramic public observation floor [Image: smile.gif] The smog will make you do a double take, and viewing the actual the size of the city will intimidate the hell out of you!

Quote: (03-04-2011 06:01 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

I'm glad you had a good time in Tokyo VP. It's an amazing place. Girls look like anime characters walking around. SOOOOOO sexy. They can be hard to crack though. Kona has dropped some intel on j-girls in Hawaii. I wonder if they loosen up when on vacation. It might be a cheaper, easier way to break the code and make contacts.

I'm always disappointed with the lack of creativity in dress when I return to America from Japan. I find success whenever I get them away from their friends, but speaking a bit of Japanese certainly helps. Having any kind of "in" or knowledge on Japanese culture will put you ahead, except in my case where I think being half-Japanese has hurt my cause because I'm seen as a middleman before banging full-westerners [Image: undecided.gif]
I've seen African American and blonde haired guys kill it and recently noticed J-girls are obsessing over male Korean models... probably because of all the soap operas they watch.

Quote: (03-04-2011 04:01 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

Torontokid,
Weather wise, it is of course better than TO right now, but it was still cold nonetheless, specially at night where it was quite windy and cold. I'd say during the day, it can be nice, up to 12-15C while at night, it can go to 0. And this is the coldest time of the year in Tokyo. Spring is lovely based on what I heard from people there, specially during the cherry blossom season which is the first week of April. Google it, you'll love the pics and would want to hop on a plane to be there for that.

As to the food, it is simply heavenly, specially the sushi bars, where you can eat all kind of fresh raw fish for about 1-2 buck a plate (usually 2 pieces and 2 small pieces of rice), so in total, for about 15-20 bucks, you can get stuffed on that thing and let me tell you that it is absolutely delicious, specially the tuna. Oh my, I miss those little places. If you go there, the first thing I'd suggest you is take advantage of the jet lag and time difference and wake up very early the first day, say around 4am and head off to the Tsukiji fish market, which is the biggest fish market in Japan and probably in the world. You'll see all kinds of fresh fish and sea food that you didn't even know existed and most of them without a name in English yet. If you're lucky and plan it smartly, you can even get a glimpse of the auctions where the fishermen sell huge tuna fish they just caught to Tokyo restaurant owners. The auction used to be open to tourists but it's not anymore. One way to get around it is to go through a tour. If you time it right, it's well worth it. When you make it to Tokyo, make sure to bring lots of loot as you'll need it and be prepared to be blown away like no other city in the planet. Tokyo is simply off the charts. No city can compare to it in any aspect whatsoever. Tokyo is what a perfect, modern city should look like. And when you return from Tokyo to TO, you'll feel like you're in a ghetto. I am not kidding. As a matter of fact, any city in North America is a 3rd if not 4th world city compared to Tokyo.

Woah man, you make it sound amazing. I gotta go there sometimes.

Hydro,
Once again your observations are spot on about Tokyo and the feeling of being in a ghetto upon returning to Toronto. The clearnliness, the politeness and civility of people is 2nd to none and it truly blows you away, right from the beginning. Or how they have the smoking area on each street. Yes smoking on the streets is not prohibited but people do respect others and that its not good to smoke on the streets. I asked one Japanese girl I met there for clarification on that and she confirmed that while not forbidden, people don't smoke on the streets because it's not polite. Amazing!

As to accommodations, I maanged to pick up a copy of a booklet called Tokyo Notice Board for free at one of the subway stations which has tons of listings for aparts, furnished and not, rooms and guest houses. Aparts are listed all over Tokyo starting from 70K Y to 300KY/month. And most mention the magic words "NO KEY MONEY" required and most also have the no deposit or just 1 or 1.5 months deposits, which is a lot manageable than to pay Key money which can be as high as 6 months rent, plus 3-4 months deposits. For those not familiar with the Japanese renting market, key money is a gift (evidently non refundable) that the tenant gives to the landlord/owner as a token of gratitude for renting them their place!

On that booklet, there are tons of listings for good options all over Tokyo. http://www.tokyonoticeboard.co.jp I also picked up a flyer there with more listings of aparts and a ton of ads for jobs as english teacher. I even saw one ad for a swimming teacher/life guard at a swimming pool looking for a male aged between 20 to 35, fit and from Canada, or the US to work part time! That might be a good gig to have a cool job and meet some hot J girls. [Image: wink.gif]

Of course, as I make it back to Tokyo, I'll post more specific details of where I will be staying and whether it was easy to secure that pad.

I also met a few people on the streets of Tokyo, foreigners of course, who told me that it wasn't that difficult to find a not too expensive place to stay at in Tokyo. Now, I just have to go and verify that in person.

Its easy to find temporary housing in Japan. Look up one of the temporary housing agencies like Fontana, Sakura House, Space Design, etc.

They have spots in guest houses and 1 bedrooms. No "key money" but they do take a security deposit much like Landlords in North America.

Rent is expensive as it is in Tokyo everywhere but the places are pretty decent quality and fully furnished.