rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Sites for Local Venue Advice?

What I mean is a site that talks about local venues instead of just tourist spots.

Wikitravel has really been a let-down in this regard. At least in the three cities I've visited Cambodia, they seem to only mention spots for foreigners. They don't even bother putting the biggest clubs in town on there just because foreigners don't go there.

In PP, a capital fucking city, wikitravel even tried to claim most of the nightlife only existed for the red light crowd, and with all the local discos I went to there, I can assure you that there is plenty going on beyond the foreigner scene. That shit is laughable and I can't believe the standards for such a supposedly hardcore traveler site is so ridiculously low.

I guess the target audience is backpackers, but fuck, do people travel to meet other travelers or travel to check out something new? I really just don't get it.

I think these travel guides are written by people who breeze through for a weekend or something.

Compiling a site with advice only from longer-term expats would be cool.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

I don't think such a site exist. I do love the idea of it.

This is beyond the border thinking. It would open doors to a whole new level. A culture of a place that very few travellers have seen. The "real behind the scenes".
Like opening the pandoras box in terms of traveling.

But if you create a site like this, it would probably have great success which means a lot of travellers would start hitting these "local gems" which means that within a blink of an eye, these local gems would be filled with travellers. Which means that the local gem is'nt a local gem anymore and it's just one other of these spots you can read about in Wikipedia and Lonely Planet.

Creating a site like this would be like creating an evil circle.

But I do like the idea. Meanwhile we are waiting for somebody to create a site like this, I guess we have to stick to the RVF Travel section.
So far it's the best alternative to Wikitravel and Lonely Planet.

yelp.com for many countries, not all though.