rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

El Salvador Data Sheet (San Salvador + El Tunco)

I went backpacking this Spring and spent a total of one week in El Salvador. I also went to Guatemala, and then spent most of my time in Mexico. I could easily write a DF data sheet, but since it's been raved about to death (justifiably - the place is incredible), I figured I would actually add some useful data to the forum.

Background About Me

I am 6' tall, 145 lbs, with dark hair and blue eyes. If I had to rate my looks, I would class myself around a 6.5/10. Just slightly above average, skinny, but with good style to compensate.

If 10/10 is how a native speaker speaks Spanish, I would put myself at around a 6/10. I was good enough to understand most conversation, flirt with girls, and get around, but had some obvious gaps in terms of vocabulary.

Getting There

Flights only real go into San Salvador, and the bulk seem to come from Texas. That being said, if you're already in the region there are great private buses you can take. I took one from Guatemala City there.

24 hours in San Salvador

Most people view San Salvador like they do Guatemala City: give it a pass. While I might agree (only because I've been fortunate enough to do a lot of travel), it's actually a decent spot for pulling.

I remember thinking on the bus that the countryside is actually beautiful, and it put me in good spirits for my arrival. I rocked up at a place whose name I can't remember (but it's a really popular hotel in San Salvador) at 8 PM and planned on going out solo. As it turns out, I wouldn't have to: there were 2 already blackout Canadians in the hostel talking about how they wanted to find some "whores" for the night. They offered me a beer and I joined the club.

We went to the Multiplaza, a place I can only describe as fucking weird. Essentially, it's an eye-sore: a Florida style shopping mall with a few bars and nightclubs in it, which become popular at night. Somehow, tequila shots were $5 each - which should not be possible in a place like San Salvador. That being said, it's very popular among locals and there were some good quality women there. It's an excellent venue for approaches because it's so big and you can just keep going on to the next one. The place is upscale, so dress accordingly. I recommend t shirt and blazer, or a nice shirt (blazer optional). The guys I were with did not dress well and had more trouble because of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM1RChZk1EU&feature=kp

We settled on one bar called Stanza6, and Brad, one of the Canadians went: "Buddy, I'm in the fucking Canadian army. I'm a fucking killing machine. If anyone gives you a problem let me know and I'll slit his throat on the spot." I thanked Brad, patted him on the back, and hoped to God he wouldn't kill someone in a place where security guards carry shotguns.

I opened these two cute girls and went in. Grinding with both at one point, I settled for the slightly worse girl as this Swiss guy we were with seemed to be vibing with the blonde. Side note: there are somehow blondes in San Salvador. I took a break outside and smoked a cigar I brought with me. It was a serene moment, and a nice break from the roaring club music.

Going back in, this time we moved the crew to a place called Envy , where the scene had changed slightly. Just our luck, we were no longer the only crew of Gringos in the club: a group of 6 tall, attractive, big Americans not only were in the same club but also had a bottle. I stepped up my game, ignored the Americans, and went on with the night. We got a bunch of other new girls involved in our little dance circle and had a blast. I looked over at the American guys and they were sitting there alone. Moral of the story? Game matters.

After going to the bathroom I noticed that Brad and the other dude were gone. I would discover the next day that they went to a strip club, drank more, and passed out at the club for 2 hours. As this happened, a girl was giving them a lap dance the entire time and tried to charge him $200 USD so they bailed.

On my end, I got with the slightly worse girl and the Swiss guy got with the blonde. Their male friend who drove them that night (definite beta but nice enough guy) pulled the plug and made the executive decision that they had to go with them. Oh well.

I only went out one night, but asked around and got some other intel:

Essentially, it's Multiplaza or walk along La Zona Rosa and find a spot. Apparently Antique is a good spot right now. I was told by a taxi driver that the most popular strip club is called Globe, for those who are interested. Not very helpful, but this is the best I can honestly offer.

I would mention that the Sheraton in that area looks like SHIT. Avoid.

During the Day

Unlike some of the guys on here, I don't travel for women, and never will. I travel for the culture and for special experiences, with women as a side bonus.

I only had one day in San Salvador but I managed to wake up at 8 am to start sightseeing.

I first went to El Museo De Guzman de Antropologia , which was distinctly average. However, El Marte is an upscale, beautiful art museum that I was seriously impressed by.

[Image: museomarte5.jpg]

I walked into a great room of Colombian art and found myself sitting, staring at a single painting for nearly half an hour. Great experience and worth a visit. Next I hopped in a taxi to El Centro Historico, just in time for Sunday church service at the famous Iglesia El Rosario , a wonderfully unique church designed by someone who probably didn't have a ruler, yet still managed to produce something interesting (in a good way). I then ate a 'papusa' from a street vendor, a cheap and tasty traditional food of El Salvador, which I washed down with a $0.15 bag of water. That's right, a fucking bag of water.

Afterwards, I found Brad and walked through the Botanical Gardens, before eventually moving on.

Playa El Tunco

El Tunco is a beach town in La Libertad, that can be easily reached by a $1.50 bus from San Salvador. It's probably the most popular place for Westerners to go - even more than the capital - so anyone can point you in the right direction.

It's primarily known for surfing, and I thought it would be fun to learn how to surf and enjoy the good weather for a few days.

Surf Culture

I would define myself as a city slicker type, so I knew the surf culture would be something different. Most of the guys are heavily tattooed, in good shape and tanned, are there for a few months at a time, smoke a lot of weed, and live to surf. The girls are in a similar class, although the ratio is usually against you. That being said, surfer girls are CUTE.

[Image: IMG_1743.jpg]

I stayed at a hostel called La Sombra which was really popular and had some quality people staying there. [Image: Surfingeltunco.jpg]

The whole apartment thing isn't big in El Tunco, but you can get a private room in a hostel for close to $10 USD per night.

Surf lessons cost $10 per hour, and you can rent a surf board for $10 a day. Much of the town is centered around this, and so when the weather sucks there isn't much to do. A nearby town called Alzante is also supposed to be good for beginners. I managed to get up during my lesson and was really pleased, only to have no fucking idea what to do once my teacher was gone. Nevertheless, I was pleased.

*Tip: When the weather is lousy, ask around for a guy called 'El Negro.' He and his buddy run waterfall tours and for $10 you get transport both way, a great hike through the forest, and can dive/jump into some waterfalls. Unlike some of the British travellers there with me, I actually value my life and so chose to not try every outrageously dangerous jump.

Night Life

Monday: mini ping-pong at Mopalia
Tuesday: Jaguar
Wednesday: Nothing happens. Take the night off.
Thursday: Daroka is ladies night - a concept which is huge in El Salvador.
Friday: Bokana or La Guitarra both do ladies night
Saturday: Lav ladies night and then go on after to Bokana
Sunday: Quiet night. Lay back and relax.

I had some fun nights in El Tunco. I managed to get with a girl my first night at Mopalia after the minipong but couldn't bring her back as I was in a dorm (rookie mistake).

Second night I met a great group of guys and girls and we went to Jaguar. We got absolutely hammered, and the town was on edge because word was that a group of Danish girls were coming to visit. The rumours were true and, like an avalanche, a group of 15 blonde women and 3 peasant guys came rushing down upon the nightclub. I found the hottest girl and began chatting her up. I wingmanned a new-found Californian buddy of mine (still in touch) and introduced him to her cock-blocking friend. Things were going well. Another Danish girl who I came with was visibly into me but she was worse so I tried to keep her at a distance while I flirted with the better one. I soon realized that the bar owner was shirtless, grabbed a guitar, and started playing really loudly. I used this as an excuse to bring all of the Danish girls to another venue, which was actually better. I then saw an even bigger group of local El Salvadorians try to swoop in. They reminded me of the Persian forces in 300: many in number, but largely ineffective. I even saw 'El Negro' strike out a few times. I finally got with my girl but then soon after her friends grabbed her and dragged her home because she has a boyfriend apparently. That being said, she's going on exchange to the city that I'm about to move her, so hopefully we'll meet up then.

Third night I chilled out, got these delicious frozen bananas dipped in chocolate and peanuts for $0.25, and went to bed early.

I went to Daroka on my final night and blacked out at 10 PM. I really wish I could give you guys some data on this but, honestly, I woke up at 6 AM on the beach, alone, with my pants down. I was missing a sandal as well. My California buddy claims he saw me skinny dipping at one point, unsure if I was going at it solo or with people. C'est la vie.

From what I've now seen as Danish girls - someone described them to me as "Drunk Swedes" - I wonder if Denmark deserves another chance from some of the RVFers here.

----

My overall thoughts are that El Salvador is a good spot if you have a limited period of time to kill. It doesn't require the time that Nicaragua/Guatemala might deserve, and is an interesting spot to say the least. I found being foreign didn't help with game that much there, and helped less than it did in Mexico. People were friendly, prices were good, and I enjoyed myself in the end.

That being said, comparing it to my recent trips (Mexico, Guatemala, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar), El Salvador would fall at the bottom; but that's a comment on how much I loved the others more than it is on what I thought of El Salvador.

Happy travels,

Hank

How are the peoples accent/speed of talking compared to other Spanish speaking countries you have visited?

A man is only as faithful as his options-Chris Rock

Quote: (05-08-2014 05:50 PM)Mentavious Wrote:  

How are the peoples accent/speed of talking compared to other Spanish speaking countries you have visited?

Good question. Mexico and Guatemala have similar accents, and El Salvador isn't too far off.

They speak faster than Colombians but were easier to understand than Argentinians, in my experience. WAY better than Cubans, who are utterly incomprehensible.

I do remember one funny thing though: a papusa vendor asked me if I had a "cora," by which she meant a US quarter. Hah.

Quote: (05-08-2014 05:44 PM)HankRearden Wrote:  

I could easily write a DF data sheet, but since it's been raved about to death (justifiably - the place is incredible), I figured I would actually add some useful data to the forum.

What are you referring to here?

Good write up - I gotta get to Central America at one point.