rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Paleo diet and halitosis

Paleo diet and halitosis

I know there's been several threads previously re bad breath, but I think none specifically which relate to what I think is Paleo diet linked halitosis.
At least I think it's coming from my higher protein diet of late (and dairy)
So the deal is I've been hitting the raw eggs, cheese and butter made from raw dairy, sardines, mackerel, avocado, coconut oil, not to mention spices and herbs and ACV.
Sometimes, even a good brush of my teeth and floss afterwards doesn't quite kill off the halitosis.
I know Roosh spoke of Hydrogen Peroxide, and I do have a natural based mouthwash which helps, but is there anything else I should know about here, which could help reduce or eliminate (possibly Paleo induced) bad breath?
(Also, can nuke your chances from orbit, when you're talking to a girl, not good!)

Paleo diet and halitosis

My wife went to an allergist and had the skin prick test done on her. Turns out she has issues with pork, soy, and casein. She used to have horrid morning breath. After eliminating those 3 from her diet, the bad breath is history.

Halitosis doesn't always originate from you mouth, either. It can come from the lungs, throat, sinuses, etc. The most common cause of it is poor oral hygiene, but it can be caused by other things as well. You said that even brushing/flossing doesn't stop the bad breath, which indicates that the problem isn't oral, so my next guess would be your diet.

Have you always had this problem, or is something that started when you increased your protein and dairy? If it's recent, then I would start eliminating things (one at a time) until you figure out what your body isn't agreeing with.

Paleo diet and halitosis

yeah hardcore paleo -> ketosis -> halitosis. But unless you're way overweight, I wouldn't recommend ketosis. Not necessary IMO.

Get some good cookbooks instead, like the ones from Jamie Oliver "30 minute meals" & Nigella 'Tits' Lawson "Nigella Express", then substitute high carb/high glycemic index foods for lowcarb/low GI foods. Just bought another good book by Donna Hay "Fresh & Light", full of very good low-carb meals.

Brush. Floss. Toothpicks. Tonguescrape. Mouthwater. No garlick or other strong herbs before nights out & use some mints/gum. Don't eat only meat, mix up w/ other proteins like shrimps, fish, mushrooms, etc.

Bad breath & low-carb tend to go together. During the weight-loss phase it will be a factor, no other way around it. But it's managable.

Paleo diet and halitosis

Eat 200g of carbs a day to take you out of ketosis. Sweet potato, potato, bananas and rice are my preference. The rice may not be "paleo" to the dogmatic advocates, but you have to experiment with what works for you.

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

Paleo diet and halitosis

Quote: (04-30-2014 06:15 AM)SteveCR Wrote:  

My wife went to an allergist and had the skin prick test done on her. Turns out she has issues with pork, soy, and casein. She used to have horrid morning breath. After eliminating those 3 from her diet, the bad breath is history.

Halitosis doesn't always originate from you mouth, either. It can come from the lungs, throat, sinuses, etc. The most common cause of it is poor oral hygiene, but it can be caused by other things as well. You said that even brushing/flossing doesn't stop the bad breath, which indicates that the problem isn't oral, so my next guess would be your diet.

Have you always had this problem, or is something that started when you increased your protein and dairy? If it's recent, then I would start eliminating things (one at a time) until you figure out what your body isn't agreeing with.

Thanks for the info. To answer your question, I've always been a bit predisposed to bad breath, due to poor mouth hygiene as a kid, which meant some root canal work and fillings. Also had a touch of allergic rhinitis a few years ago, although cutting back on wheat and sugar has reduced that to a minimum.
I definitely find though that after a high protein(+some dairy), low carb meal like the one I mentioned, the resulting halitosis is hard to shift.