rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Courier Flights?

Courier Flights?

Has anyone ever used a courier flight? Apparently its not hard and u can save a bunch of money or even fly free.

Anyone travel with cash? Im gonna have to bring most of my spending money in cash to SE Asia, where would you guys suggest to exchange from experience?

Also, I know I can look it up but while I'm asking what vaccines do u guys get before going to SE Asia?

Any suggestions on places to get some custom suits in SE Asia?

Thank you all in advance for your time, Im most interested in courier flight experience but Ill take all the info I can get

Courier Flights?

I looked into it a few years back and it seemed confusing and difficult to break into.

I'd always be concerned with people giving me illegal packages for delivery through customs, like narcotics.

I know of someone based in China, with a Singaporean passport, who actually doesn't have Chinese residence but just uses her visitor's visa (or whatever) to re-enter China repeatedly. Basically China is her home, and her job allows her to spend time abroad.

I wouldn't want to be a courier. Everyone on this forum can do better things, careers more worthy of our intelligence. Yeah you can use the flights to get shit done for your own business, if you can think clearly on planes (remember that you'll be flying every day for long stretches at a time) and stay healthy.

I imagine that it's like being a flight attendant in some ways. At first it is luxurious and exciting to travel all the time. But then the anomie sets in - even if you have friends in all of the cities that you visit for a day or two (or whatever), the rootlessness will lead to depression and loneliness.

That said, it would suit some people well, for example those who are depressed and lonely already. May as well make what you can out of a bad situation.

Courier Flights?

Quote: (02-13-2014 05:04 PM)Yeti Wrote:  

I looked into it a few years back and it seemed confusing and difficult to break into.

I'd always be concerned with people giving me illegal packages for delivery through customs, like narcotics.

I know of someone based in China, with a Singaporean passport, who actually doesn't have Chinese residence but just uses her visitor's visa (or whatever) to re-enter China repeatedly. Basically China is her home, and her job allows her to spend time abroad.

I wouldn't want to be a courier. Everyone on this forum can do better things, careers more worthy of our intelligence. Yeah you can use the flights to get shit done for your own business, if you can think clearly on planes (remember that you'll be flying every day for long stretches at a time) and stay healthy.

I imagine that it's like being a flight attendant in some ways. At first it is luxurious and exciting to travel all the time. But then the anomie sets in - even if you have friends in all of the cities that you visit for a day or two (or whatever), the rootlessness will lead to depression and loneliness.

That said, it would suit some people well, for example those who are depressed and lonely already. May as well make what you can out of a bad situation.

I appreciate your response but I think you conception of a courier flight is a bit skewed. Most courier trips are for 7-60 days with open ended return flights. Also you never actually handle a package only documentation. To me it sounds like a sweet deal. Im still curious if anyone has done it or dealt with a legit courier company they can recommend?

Hers a good faq about courier flights with some good info

http://www.travel2rp.com/air-courier-travel-faqs.html

Courier Flights?

I thought after 9/11 these were largely done?

Courier Flights?

I've got no clue, that's why Im asking. Im surprised with how much traveling is done here no one has ever done this

Courier Flights?

Quote: (02-13-2014 03:44 PM)Mr. Polymer Wrote:  

Has anyone ever used a courier flight? Apparently its not hard and u can save a bunch of money or even fly free.
I looked into this a long time ago, like over 15years when I didn't have that much money. What I found was that, yes, this is real but not for me. The problem for me was that the air fare for places that I want to go was not that much cheaper. You have to buy the ticket with the courier company and is VERY restricted. For popular point to point locations, if you know how to find cheap tickets, they may be more expensive. Those free/low fare tickets are when you let them know you can travel anytime and they may give you a call 1 or 2 days in advance or is to places that no one want to go. Some companies also will take both of your baggage allowance (not a problem if you get status and have third bag free, if not carryon only.)

Anyone travel with cash? Im gonna have to bring most of my spending money in cash to SE Asia, where would you guys suggest to exchange from experience?
Hmm. SE Asia where? How and where you change money is different in every country. Some country give great rate at the bank and some will kill on service charge and don't let you know. Carry US dollars and have really new bills. Most exchange places love brand new us $100 and will give better rate for them. If your bills have any mark or cuts on them, it may not be accepted. Just look out for service charge or just use CC/Debit card.
Anyway, why cash? Most of us had stop doing this long time ago. If you worry about CC/Debit availability, just carry a few thousand for standby.

Also, I know I can look it up but while I'm asking what vaccines do u guys get before going to SE Asia?
Again, where are you going? Look it up at http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/ So, just get your basic like flu, Hepatitis A,B, Typhoid. You should have these even if you are in US, EU, or EE.

OK, for this. How is anyone going to answer you? Bangkok is an out of the way store, HongKong is a second floor walk up, Philippine is a back alley. Custom suit does not mean a good suit. You can spend $200 or $5,000 in Bangkok. HongKong can top $10K. If you don't know where to go (as in stores), you are not going to get a good suit. Just so you know, any tourist area is not custom suits. They are just a store front. Most of those places all get theirs made by someone else and most likely at the same places. I visited one of those factory once and is amazing how they make the suit for the other stores. Rule of thumb, if you don't have 3 appointments, you are not getting a good custom suit.

Courier Flights?

Quote: (02-14-2014 03:29 AM)TravelingDoc Wrote:  

I looked into this a long time ago, like over 15years when I didn't have that much money. What I found was that, yes, this is real but not for me. The problem for me was that the air fare for places that I want to go was not that much cheaper. You have to buy the ticket with the courier company and is VERY restricted. For popular point to point locations, if you know how to find cheap tickets, they may be more expensive. Those free/low fare tickets are when you let them know you can travel anytime and they may give you a call 1 or 2 days in advance or is to places that no one want to go. Some companies also will take both of your baggage allowance (not a problem if you get status and have third bag free, if not carryon only.)

Hmm. SE Asia where? How and where you change money is different in every country. Some country give great rate at the bank and some will kill on service charge and don't let you know. Carry US dollars and have really new bills. Most exchange places love brand new us $100 and will give better rate for them. If your bills have any mark or cuts on them, it may not be accepted. Just look out for service charge or just use CC/Debit card.
Anyway, why cash? Most of us had stop doing this long time ago. If you worry about CC/Debit availability, just carry a few thousand for standby.

Again, where are you going? Look it up at http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/ So, just get your basic like flu, Hepatitis A,B, Typhoid. You should have these even if you are in US, EU, or EE.

OK, for this. How is anyone going to answer you? Bangkok is an out of the way store, HongKong is a second floor walk up, Philippine is a back alley. Custom suit does not mean a good suit. You can spend $200 or $5,000 in Bangkok. HongKong can top $10K. If you don't know where to go (as in stores), you are not going to get a good suit. Just so you know, any tourist area is not custom suits. They are just a store front. Most of those places all get theirs made by someone else and most likely at the same places. I visited one of those factory once and is amazing how they make the suit for the other stores. Rule of thumb, if you don't have 3 appointments, you are not getting a good custom suit.

Or, you could just ask someone for a suggestion for a good tailor in say, HK (which is a good jumping off point to explore any of SE asia due to the availability of cheap flights to everywhere).

I'd recommend (having had many shirts made there) Milazzo Fashions, HK number is 852 27216660 ask for Rocky or Mac.

Alternatively, I had three very fine suits made by another tailor recommended by a factory owner friend. Cantonese tailor named Eric, and he'll come to your hotel - he's probably a bit pricier than the indian guys at Milazzo, his phone is 852 91267611.

In either event, still, act like you know what your doing and know the difference. Minimum there should be two fittings, and certainly complain if something does not fit almost perfectly. It takes very little for them to adjust it for you, and no more than 24 hours. And bargain, always bargain (within reason).

Just for sake of context, I worked my first 10 years out of law school in old white shoe law and consulting firms, and spent thousands and thousands upon wardrobe - Armani, Zegna, Boss (which always fit me well off the rack as a 42L for some reason, maybe I should have been a nazi instead of a Jew, probably not). I know the difference and there are quality options here - these aren't for bargain basement purchasing. Buy quality though, and don't get to trendy, and they'll last for years and years.

I've referral links for most credit cards, PM me for them & thanks if you use them
Strip away judeo-christian ethics ingraining sex is dirty/bad & the idea we're taking advantage of these girls disintegrates. Once you've lost that ethical quandary (which it isn't outside religion) then they've no reason to play the victim, you've no reason to feel the rogue. The interaction is to their benefit.
Frequent Travs
Phils SZ China

Courier Flights?

Quote: (02-14-2014 03:47 AM)G_global Wrote:  

Or, you could just ask someone for a suggestion for a good tailor in say, HK (which is a good jumping off point to explore any of SE asia due to the availability of cheap flights to everywhere).

I'd recommend (having had many shirts made there) Milazzo Fashions, HK number is 852 27216660 ask for Rocky or Mac.

Alternatively, I had three very fine suits made by another tailor recommended by a factory owner friend. Cantonese tailor named Eric, and he'll come to your hotel - he's probably a bit pricier than the indian guys at Milazzo, his phone is 852 91267611.

Just for sake of context, I worked my first 10 years out of law school in old white shoe law and consulting firms, and spent thousands and thousands upon wardrobe - Armani, Zegna, Boss (which always fit me well off the rack as a 42L for some reason, maybe I should have been a nazi instead of a Jew, probably not). I know the difference and there are quality options here - these aren't for bargain basement purchasing. Buy quality though, and don't get to trendy, and they'll last for years and years.

Do you still find the quality in HK any good? The last suit I had made in HK was like over 5 years ago. I find that HK just aren't as good as Italians. I know you pay more but I just find the HK fit is just not as well. I think it is better to have a few high quality pieces and they last longer.

I find that now I don't wear as many suits, I just buy online and have a tailor custom fit all the pieces. Sometime I spend more on alterations than on the piece and mostly just change over every season.

Courier Flights?

TD I guess it depends on who/where. Its important that they provide a broad range of fabric choices and options for what you want. If they're not providing a hundred or more fabric choices (even in your hotel room), I guess I would not consider it to be an acceptable level of tailoring, and that eliminates the reason to purchase bespoke. It also depends on you personally, as mentioned before my sizing is pretty darn standard, to the point where a 42L jacket fits me almost perfectly off the rack with a slight alteration of the sleeve length, typically, so maybe I am not much of a challenge for the tailors. Then, its coming down to material/style/cost/durability.

The stuff I have seen in Thailand and elsewhere in SE Asia (never been to Singapore) was low quality, threadbare stuff, almost as if people were buying it solely to say they bought custom, but the quality was far worse than department store brands from UK/USA. Wouldn't waste money on the junk, and god knows what it would look like in a year.

For me the best test, beyond the immediate fit and the look of the garment, is how it holds up to repeated wearings and cleaning. You also need to consider where you plan to wear the suit/garment in question, and I find HK to be very well suited to provide very light weight yet durable suits that fit the tropical climate where I often am wearing them (splitting my time between Vegas and South China for much of my time).

I definitely don't wear suits all the time anymore but I am someone who prefers the extremes. I don't like the suburbs, I'd rather live in the heart of a big city or in the mountains or near a secluded beach. I also don't' go it for most casual clothes, i.e., dockers/American eagle/A&F. I'd rather wear jeans, a tee and have a really nice sports coat to dress it up, or go full on (when appropriate) with a tailored suit and shirt, or even a tux (which I bought off the rack and had fitted, nice classic Hugo Boss double breasted that will stand the test of time.

I've referral links for most credit cards, PM me for them & thanks if you use them
Strip away judeo-christian ethics ingraining sex is dirty/bad & the idea we're taking advantage of these girls disintegrates. Once you've lost that ethical quandary (which it isn't outside religion) then they've no reason to play the victim, you've no reason to feel the rogue. The interaction is to their benefit.
Frequent Travs
Phils SZ China

Courier Flights?

Quote: (02-14-2014 03:29 AM)TravelingDoc Wrote:  

Really appreciate all this good advice. I see now what your saying about the courier you don't save enough and you can't set your own dates. Flights from SFO to Manila or BKK are only about $500 one way.

Also, thanks for the info on the custom suits I def don't want crap. I'd prefer to have a 1-3 nice suits I can bring back for everyday life, work and the any future travels. Unfortunately, my sites are currently not set on HK.