rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Buying a Jet

Buying a Jet

Thinking about the future:
How high of a yearly income would you say is enough to afford a private jet? A used business jet with accommodations for around 6 people. Think Learjet or similar, only other requirement is that it has winglets- don't ask lol. Would it be possible/sane with a $300k USD yearly income?

Thank you!

Buying a Jet

300 yearly?

No.

And unless one is on the thing a LOT you'd be money way ahead using charters.

Buying a Jet

Going off of how expensive they are new I would say the likely hood is doubtful. You also have to factor in costs such as crew, fuel, maintenance, hangar fees, etc as well.

Buying a Jet

Maybe, if you want to live in a $400/month apartment and shit in an airsick bag held by your guests while you're flying.

A nice vacation every couple of years in a chartered G5 will keep you happy and sane until the big money starts rolling in.

Buying a Jet

Maybe you could pay for the Fuel costs, Renting a parking spot, maintenance costs and catering costs. But that's about it.

The less fucks you give, the more fucks you get.

Buying a Jet

Flights within Europe cost around $15-30k depending on range, type of jet, etc., so just a couple per year would knock a big hole in $300k.

Jet ownership is more for the billionaire's club.

IMO, you're better off working towards location independence than material goals...

Buying a Jet

Quote: (02-12-2014 02:34 AM)DaveR Wrote:  

Jet ownership is more for the billionaire's club.

DaveR is right. Buying a private jet is one thing, but flying, insuring, parking, fueling, and maintaining it will burn through your money like a woman at a shoe sale.

Buying a Jet

Planes are like boats in expenses, if not more. Can cost you thousands per month just to PARK the plane at a private airport per month.

I have a few buddies with jets/planes and their fuel cost is astronomical as well.

Buying a Jet

I've heard of clubs where everyone shares the cost on a plane and takes turns using it. You pay your own fuel costs, obviously.

It sounded like a much more sensible route.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Buying a Jet

You can check netjets from Buffet. You buy fractional ownership which allows you to fly a certain amount of time.

Buying a Jet

Quote: (02-12-2014 03:11 AM)Christian McQueen Wrote:  

Planes are like boats in expenses, if not more. Can cost you thousands per month just to PARK the plane at a private airport per month.

I have a few buddies with jets/planes and their fuel cost is astronomical as well.

I've heard the two best days of owning a boat is the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

Buying a Jet

Quote: (02-12-2014 04:32 AM)Pinocchio Wrote:  

I've heard the two best days of owning a boat is the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

Truth. I bought one back in 2011 and it's been the bane of my existence ever since. If you do get one, dry store it. Fuck all that back and forth, on the trailer, off the trailer shit.

Buying a Jet

So the future big baller that's so tight with cash he's faking his gold membership in his avatar over 7 dollars wants to dabble in the private luxury aviation arena?

I'll stop there for now.

Buying a Jet

Not really. That old myth goes for people that buy shit boats like bayliners with Volvo penta power in them. I built mine in 2004 using all composite and put a brand new Suzuki 4 stroke on it. I pull it out of the marina one a year and work on it for about two hours changing battery terminals and some other connectors and put it right back in. The best day of boat ownership is the one you realize how easy threesomes can happen on them.

Buying a Jet

I have a close family member who was a founding partner at a boutique private equity firm.

He is the 1%. Back when he worked, he was part of a time share of other rich people for a golf stream to use the jet.

Even he admitted he would never outright own a plane unless he had his own runway.

It might be cheaper in the long run to move out to the country and build an air field where you can fly off from. That way you're not paying some airport the privilege to park the thing. Massively shitty logistics, but a plane is a plane.

I'd rather own a boat.

Buying a Jet

if it flies, fucks or floats it's cheaper to rent

Buying a Jet

If you like starting a fire and throwing money into: then buy a boat said by a billionaire that i knew. He had a 180 foot yacht.
He didn't have a private jet. Its funny, he would never fly with his family. He didn't want the plane to crash and have no one to carry on his name.

Buying a Jet

The fourth richest man in the world named his plane "The Indefensible". All you need to know.

Buying a Jet

Quote: (02-12-2014 07:28 AM)el mechanico Wrote:  

So the future big baller that's so tight with cash he's faking his gold membership in his avatar over 7 dollars wants to dabble in the private luxury aviation arena?

I'll stop there for now.

I feel so stupid for not realizing what this was. I was wondering why some people had this giant gold medal and mine was only regular size.

Buying a Jet

I have a friend back home with a two seater plane similar to this:

[Image: Cessna-All-Electric-4.jpg]

It cost him less then 40k euro and he maintains it himself.

He takes off/lands in a relatively flat field that he owns beside his house. He stores it himself in a shed too so no housing costs.

The fuel is relatively cheap with an hour flying using about 20-30 euros of fuel.

It can do flips, rolls and dives.

To be honest although its a small plane its badass to go up flying with him.

He brings a lot of girls up for sightseeing trips and I can see why it works so well.

Its duel control as well so you can teach your girl some basic flying moves without having her kill you.

Its something that I would love down the line that would be realistic to own.

edit- first image was way too big

Buying a Jet

Quote: (02-12-2014 07:38 AM)el mechanico Wrote:  

Not really. That old myth goes for people that buy shit boats like bayliners with Volvo penta power in them. I built mine in 2004 using all composite and put a brand new Suzuki 4 stroke on it. I pull it out of the marina one a year and work on it for about two hours changing battery terminals and some other connectors and put it right back in. The best day of boat ownership is the one you realize how easy threesomes can happen on them.
I would say that owning a boat is like owning a fast car, girls always want a ride...but this 'car' has a sunroof, bar, bed and girls need a bikini to get in.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

Buying a Jet

With 300k a year, really? I hope that someone that makes 300k knows that it's impossible for him to have a private jet

Buying a Jet

I own a private jet 7 seater. You can PM me for a cost breakdown. It can be 600-1.2M a year to maintain a jet (with pilots, DOM, costs included).

Buying a Jet

Check it out:

Get your commerical pilots license - ~15-20k. Cheaper if your smart, flying isn't that hard.

rent four seater planes for ~$150 an hour. Or buy a nice 80k-100k 4-6 seater (check barnstormer.com). They can be had for less, but you get what you pay for. With a loan and 300k a year, you can EASILY afford the payments + hanger fees + fuel + maintenance + insurance. Hell you can even splurge and pick up a super nice 500k turboprop (your payments would be around 4k a month), and rent it out to a local flight school in exchange for free parking/hanger, reduced maintenance, and some income to offset the payments.

Basically: If not a complete baller but still want to live in style, learn to fly yourself and then rent (optimal) or buy (or if your chasing the jones).

God'll prolly have me on some real strict shit
No sleeping all day, no getting my dick licked

The Original Emotional Alpha

Buying a Jet

Quote: (02-12-2014 01:01 PM)Gringuito Wrote:  

I own a private jet 7 seater. You can PM me for a cost breakdown. It can be 600-1.2M a year to maintain a jet (with pilots, DOM, costs included).

let me know if you need a pilot to fly ya around on vacation. You can put me on retainer for cheap money or I'll do it for free If I have free time and your going someplace cool.

God'll prolly have me on some real strict shit
No sleeping all day, no getting my dick licked

The Original Emotional Alpha