rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Berlin for 2 days

Berlin for 2 days

I have to do a border run from Poland so I figured I'd do a sightseeing tour of Berlin. I already have a German flag, so poosy is not too important.

What are the best WW2 museums or sights I can check out? I've read a lot on the war so it would be nice to see some "real life" things.

Are there are international type of bars/clubs that have a mixed clientele? Maybe I can get a random non-German flag.

Any other advice, like which neighborhood to stay, is appreciated.

Berlin for 2 days

I liked the DDR Museum (http://www.ddr-museum.de), which depicts life and history in East Germany during the communist days.

I also liked the Berlin Wall Memorial at Bernauer Strasse. It features the whole history on the wall at the actual site, with a few preserved sections.

The more known clubs like Cookies and Watergate have a tough door policy. Its hard to get in solo without contacts. Doesnt matter how well you dress or how early you arrive.

Berlin for 2 days

Jewish Museum http://www.jmberlin.de/main/EN/homepage-EN.php

Stasi Museum http://www.stasimuseum.de/en/enindex.htm

Barstreets: Simon-Dach-Straße in Friedrichshain (more touristy) or Weserstraße in Neukölln (almost no tourists and less bars, but same atmosphere).

Clubs: Matrix used to suck and I haven't been since a while, but from what I heard, since it is opened every day and is in the middle of THE tourist area, it's now pretty cool and there are lots of tourists. I think it's one of the easier ones to pull.

If you are there on a weekend, "Weekend" (lol) is another one to consider for tourists, sometimes huge groups of spanish and scandinavian student girls, but usually a cock fest.

Basically, all the touristy stuff happens in a 2-3 kilometer radius around the Oberbaumbrücke (Oberbaum Bridge) and that's where you should stay.

Too bad you roll solo.

Berlin for 2 days

I'm going to Munich to visit this month if anyone knows anything good to see.

Berlin for 2 days

If you're into Egyptian and Greek History, the Altes Museum and the Neues Museum are interesting.

Berlin for 2 days

About WWII history, I would like to add a visit to the Gedächtniskirche http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiser_Wilh...al_Church, a church that after been destroyed in a bombing raid, it wasn't reconstructed.

Another sights are in Friedrichshain VolksPark. The two "hills" in this park are actually german bunkers covered by the rubble from the old destroyed city, so if you climb them, you are actually stepping over the old city.

About going out, maybe the Simon Dach Strasse could be a little bit too hipster (although I used it several times for many first time dates for its lower price and location near my place). I would recommend maybe move to the West side and go to places like Felix http://www.felix-clubrestaurant.de/ or The Pearl (http://thepearl-berlin.de/), definitely posher places, but some of the few places where women dress fit outfit with high heels, and where most probably you can find more talent, including Russian and Polish ladies....

But even if there are a lot of young people here, ladies use to dress baggy and informal and you won´t see many hotties on the streets.

Berlin for 2 days

The final days of WW2 walking tour was great :

http://www.viator.com/tours/Berlin/Final...88-5560WAR

Everyone should visit the Berghain club once in their life. It can be hard to get into, but if you are rolling solo you should be OK. Here is a Rolling Stone article about it "Berghain: The Secretive, Sex-Fueled World of Techno's Coolest Club"

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/b...b-20140206

Quote:Quote:

In the past two decades, the city's tradition of sexual permissiveness, lax drug policing and left-wing, anarchist politics blended together to create the most sexually adventurous, unconventional party scene in Europe. The city's historical poverty meant high unemployment and large numbers of people with no reason to wake up early on Monday, fueling the appetite for marathon-length parties and a dislike of closing times. "It's a fuck-off to the rigid capitalist version of time that is enforced in any other city in the world," says Wang. "They're truly saying that money is of secondary importance, that it's the experience that matters."

This stands in contrast to the big-business Las Vegas EDM scene and events like the Electric Daisy Carnival, which have introduced a new generation of young Americans to electronic music, albeit without the sense of danger and edginess that characterized the rave scene of the Nineties. In Vegas, superstar DJs like deadmau5 and Skrillex make millions of dollars a year, performing in controlled, meticulously set-designed clubs where table service can run in the tens of thousands of dollars.

By contrast, Berlin is scrappy, grimy and chaotic. Cover charges and drinks are still cheap, the venues look run-down and authentic, and you're less likely to see a celebrity than you are two people fucking at the bar. Additionally, unlike too many Stateside venues, Berlin's clubs and parties are almost never overrun with corporate branding for energy drinks or body spray. For Americans hungry for a taste of underground techno culture, the lure of this seemingly unspoiled scene can be hard to resist.

Berlin for 2 days

Doesn't Kamaki live in Berlin? I'm sure he would be a good source.

Berlin for 2 days

Club with international presence: Suicide Circus

the peer review system
put both
Socrates and Jesus
to death
-GBFM

Berlin for 2 days

Quote: (02-09-2014 03:41 PM)Steve9 Wrote:  

The final days of WW2 walking tour was great :

http://www.viator.com/tours/Berlin/Final...88-5560WAR

Everyone should visit the Berghain club once in their life. It can be hard to get into, but if you are rolling solo you should be OK. Here is a Rolling Stone article about it "Berghain: The Secretive, Sex-Fueled World of Techno's Coolest Club"

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/b...b-20140206

Quote:Quote:

In the past two decades, the city's tradition of sexual permissiveness, lax drug policing and left-wing, anarchist politics blended together to create the most sexually adventurous, unconventional party scene in Europe. The city's historical poverty meant high unemployment and large numbers of people with no reason to wake up early on Monday, fueling the appetite for marathon-length parties and a dislike of closing times. "It's a fuck-off to the rigid capitalist version of time that is enforced in any other city in the world," says Wang. "They're truly saying that money is of secondary importance, that it's the experience that matters."

This stands in contrast to the big-business Las Vegas EDM scene and events like the Electric Daisy Carnival, which have introduced a new generation of young Americans to electronic music, albeit without the sense of danger and edginess that characterized the rave scene of the Nineties. In Vegas, superstar DJs like deadmau5 and Skrillex make millions of dollars a year, performing in controlled, meticulously set-designed clubs where table service can run in the tens of thousands of dollars.

By contrast, Berlin is scrappy, grimy and chaotic. Cover charges and drinks are still cheap, the venues look run-down and authentic, and you're less likely to see a celebrity than you are two people fucking at the bar. Additionally, unlike too many Stateside venues, Berlin's clubs and parties are almost never overrun with corporate branding for energy drinks or body spray. For Americans hungry for a taste of underground techno culture, the lure of this seemingly unspoiled scene can be hard to resist.

Berghain is my favorite club, but rather for the music. Partying there is epic. Best soundsystem I have ever heard, great light system, great layout. Good audience IMO, many gay guys, some dancing shirtless, but nobody gives a fuck because they leave you alone and they somehow belong in this atmosphere. Downstairs, it's just too loud to have conversation, for that one has to go to the floor upstairs, which is basically a room with a bar (called Panoramabar) and around that room, the whole 2nd floor is a labyrinth of dark rooms where people make out, fuck( very very rarely) and sleep. If you don't feel comfortable in shady places, don't go there. If you like it, there are some outstanding hipster girls to be found.
Downside: Have not figured out how you should look like to get in. During summer, it can take up to 2 hours to get in, but the door policy is pretty strict and sometimes random. I saw 2 hot girls with heels getting rejected in front of me and right after, some random guy got in. Not showing you are a tourist is probably the best idea, because this club used to be very underground and wants to keep this status a little.

Berlin for 2 days

Quote: (02-09-2014 04:41 PM)Puck21 Wrote:  

Berghain is my favorite club, but rather for the music. Partying there is epic. Best soundsystem I have ever heard, great light system, great layout. Good audience IMO, many gay guys, some dancing shirtless, but nobody gives a fuck because they leave you alone and they somehow belong in this atmosphere. Downstairs, it's just too loud to have conversation, for that one has to go to the floor upstairs, which is basically a room with a bar (called Panoramabar) and around that room, the whole 2nd floor is a labyrinth of dark rooms where people make out, fuck( very very rarely) and sleep. If you don't feel comfortable in shady places, don't go there. If you like it, there are some outstanding hipster girls to be found. Downside: Have not figured out how you should look like to get in. During summer, it can take up to 2 hours to get in, but the door policy is pretty strict and sometimes random. I saw 2 hot girls with heels getting rejected in front of me and right after, some random guy got in. Not showing you are a tourist is probably the best idea, because this club used to be very underground and wants to keep this status a little.

A good summary.

The key to get in is to dress and act low-key. Loud mouth English speakers, girls "dolled up", or any sign of pretentious behaviour will usually get your group rejected.

Berlin for 2 days

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kunsthaus_Tacheles

Berlin for 2 days

Quote: (02-09-2014 05:30 PM)Afarang Wrote:  

Unfortunately it is now closed. Berlin is becoming more corporate with every passing year.

Tacheles was fascinating, a meeting place for renegades and rebels - I remember going to some cool parties there in 2010.

Berlin for 2 days

To get into places like Watergate or Cookies when alone just start talking to a couple of fit local girls on line and bob's your uncle. Not the hardest of doors in Europe..that title probably goes to P1 in Munich. Berghain isn't what it used to be like now that it has such international profile but the door policy hasn't changed. If you are heard speaking loudly with an American accent or seen acting cocky you are bound to get rejected. Know a DJ/producer who is up that night and if there is any question asked of you simply say you are there to see them. Weekend is very much a pick-up club and is full of tourists. I agree Prenzl'berg is a pretty good spot to stay.

Berlin for 2 days

Fuck Berghain. That transexually-charged establishment rejected my buddy and I and we even tried to look as alternative as possible to get in; and we went separately; and I spoke a little French to avoid sounding North American. I'm totally not bitter about this at all, though.

I got into Cookies and thought it was OK.

The most fun we had was at Matrix.

By way of museums, I would skip Checkpoint Charlie and the Salvador Dali Museum. Otherwise, the advice above is pretty sound.

Berlin for 2 days

In doing research there when I went last year, I saw there are bike tours that take you around and explain all the history. It looked like it was a good time. Didn't end up going though.

I enjoyed Bradenburg Gate and the surrounding area. The Berlin Wall East Side gallery is a large section of the wall which has nice commissioned art on it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Side_Gallery. Tophographies of Terror was ok too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topography_of_Terror

Checkpoint charlie is pretty overrated but probably worth it just to get a picture with the "soldiers" (1 or 2 euros I believe, depending if you want to borrow one of their military hats).

Berlin for 2 days

Quote: (02-09-2014 05:43 PM)Steve9 Wrote:  

Quote: (02-09-2014 05:30 PM)Afarang Wrote:  

Unfortunately it is now closed. Berlin is becoming more corporate with every passing year.

Tacheles was fascinating, a meeting place for renegades and rebels - I remember going to some cool parties there in 2010.

Aww shit. I went there in 1998 in the early evening, it was brilliant.

Why the hate for checkpoint charlie museum? There is a lot of great stuff about human endeavour, for hope and liberty. I found it very moving, and its only about an hour.

I would assert that 2 days isn't enough for Berlin... is that timeframe rigid?

Now this is why I think data sheets can date, and think commenting on nightclubs can be rather futile due to their status changing so rapidly.

For areas to stay, I would pick Mitte preferably, maybe Friedrichshain-Kruezberg or Neukolln.... but that was a while back.

Berlin for 2 days

If you care about saving 5€, the museums are half price on Tuesdays after a certain time.
Most of the walking tours are great value for money but take all day.

If you go to Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg area, just across the river is an old abandoned train station / train yard. all the building have been turned into bars and clubs. Its really cool. I always go back there and am never disappointed.

The less fucks you give, the more fucks you get.

Berlin for 2 days

I'm a local, so here are my 2 cents:

Stay:

Kreuzberg, Friedrichshain or Mitte. I personally hate Friedrichshain, but to each his own.

Museums:

Berliner Unterwelten - They offer tours to the nazi bunkers, pretty cool.

Topografie des Terrors - Very detailed nazi exhibition

KZ Sachsenhausen - Concentration camp close to Berlin, easily reachable with public transportation

Bars/ Clubs:

I don't like big clubs and prefer smaller venues. If you really want to party hard, either one will do: Watergate, Golden Gate, Wilde Renate, etc.

Bars: Try Oranienstr. in Kreuzberg, Reuterstr. in Neukölln, Schlesische Str. in Kreuzberg, etc. and take it from there.

This website might help.

Any questions, just ask.

Berlin for 2 days

Quote: (02-10-2014 06:01 AM)BoiBoi Wrote:  

I'm a local, so here are my 2 cents:

Stay:

Kreuzberg, Friedrichshain or Mitte. I personally hate Friedrichshain, but to each his own.

Museums:

Berliner Unterwelten - They offer tours to the nazi bunkers, pretty cool. http://berliner-unterwelten.de/

Topografie des Terrors - Very detailed nazi exhibition http://www.topographie.de/en/

KZ Sachsenhausen - Concentration camp close to Berlin, easily reachable with public transportation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sachsenhaus...ation_camp

Bars/ Clubs:

I don't like big clubs and prefer smaller venues. If you really want to party hard, either one will do: Watergate, Golden Gate, Wilde Renate, etc.

Bars: Try Oranienstr. in Kreuzberg, Reuterstr. in Neukölln, Schlesische Str. in Kreuzberg, etc. and take it from there.

Any questions, just ask.

I agree about Friedrichshain. It's redeeming feature is apparently that it is cheap, most of the venues are horrendous though. Kreuzberg is great late at night - sketchy as fuck and still not really sinister.

Berlin for 2 days

The leftovers of the Berlin Wall and the Checkpoint Charlie Museum are both a must. I didn't think the the latter was overrated - I thought all the stories and artifacts on display created a fascinating example of human ingenuity and the lengths we'll go for freedom. It gave me some real confidence in the human spirit. Probably stuff you could just read online, but being there brings it alive somehow.

Overall a fun city. I did New Year's Eve there in my early 20s and it was seriously off the hinges.

I think the club scene is pretty dynamic with cool new off-the-wall places sprouting up all the time.

If you can stay longer, I definitely would recommend it.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Berlin for 2 days

I second Oranienstrasse in Kreuzberg as a place to hit some bars and even stay. I stayed a couple years ago on Oranienstrasse and had a great time. Pulled some nice young Norwegian who was on vacation. Good restaurants, bars, coffee shops and pretty central to everything.

Can be a little hipster, but its fucking Berlin and everything seems to be a little hipster.

There is a museum also by Checkpoint Charlie that I cant think of the name but it has all the different devices people used to use to get across the wall. Pretty fascinating stuff.

Berlin for 2 days

Quote: (02-09-2014 09:51 AM)Roosh Wrote:  

I have to do a border run from Poland so I figured I'd do a sightseeing tour of Berlin. I already have a German flag, so poosy is not too important.

What are the best WW2 museums or sights I can check out? I've read a lot on the war so it would be nice to see some "real life" things.

Are there are international type of bars/clubs that have a mixed clientele? Maybe I can get a random non-German flag.

Out of curiosity do you take all your stuff with you in case the border doesn't let you back in?

Berlin for 2 days

Oh, I never actually went in the Checkpoint Charlie museum, I was mainly referring to the checkpoint they set up for tourist pictures. I guess I'll need a return to check that out.

Berlin for 2 days

I already have a German flag, so poosy is not too important.

Then you will enjoy Berlin!

This isn't my favorite German city. In fact if you want anything above a 7 it is hard work and targets are few and far between.

Some good international places are :
- Havana (entry can be tough if they think you might be middle eastern, based on their treatment of a friend of mine, so just say How are you? I'm an American from DC). R&B, Latin. Wednesday is salsa night

- Felix Club. As mentioned above, this is the place for glamorous girls and one of the few places you're guaranteed to see a ten. I've met Moldovan, Russian, Polish, East and West German in here. The thursday (or wednesday?) after work party is the best bet. On weekends it's harder if you don't have a table, but if you are used to this type of club, and have some cash and want to suit-up you'll have better chances here than anywhere else.

- Rodeo Club. This one is only weekends, a bit hard to find. It reminds me of a New York Club. Sometimes it's good, sometimes not

- King Size. A top shelf hipster club. very small and always full, so entry is tough.

- Berghain. Good place to visit, not too hard to pick up. On Friday you'll need to avoid being picked up if you are a good looking guy and not bissex or gay. I never had any problem getting in here, but you have to dress for it. That means look hipster, not metrosexual. they turn away at least 25% of people at the door after 30-45min waiting inline. But most of these are people who are dressed like they are going to a VIP london club. You need Berlin Style for this: leather jacket, jeans, converse all-stars. If that doesn't work, nothing will

- Kaffee Burger. Happening every night. International, close to several youth hostels, so full of that. This is the kind of place most guys on this forum would consider a go-to place I think.

- CCCP bar. Russian owned, always some funky open-minded Germans and poor non-materialistic Russian girls in there, as well as tourists and expats. Good vibes, good fun, a good idea for when you want to just have a drink and chat with cool people.

There are tons of hipster style places in Mitte/Prenzlauerberg. On the West side, around Kufurstendam, you're looking at more upscale, older, bitchy West German girls. Some are quite good looking. IN West Berlin the style is more like Hamburg. The top end equivalents to Felix are Puro Lounge and Maxxim Club. I don't know why, but they are not so fun :-s