rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Women Aren't Attracted to "Funny" Guys

The Real Reason Women Aren't Attracted to "Funny" Guys
[Image: 154854036-actor-comedian-gilbert-gottfri...mlarge.jpg]

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/201...study.html

In this month’s Playboy, comedian Gilbert Gottfried wondered why women say they “want a guy with a sense of humor” and yet are rarely interested in having sex with Gilbert Gottfried. “Ask them what they’re looking for in a man, and more often than not they’ll tell you, ‘Somebody who makes me laugh.’ But I’m here to tell you, as a man who has made his living in comedy for more than three decades, that women are full of shit. Being funny (and I have occasionally been funny) has never gotten me laid in my life.”

Why aren’t ladies spreading their legs at every quack of the Aflac duck? Perhaps it is because we disagree with Gottfried on the definition of “occasionally,” or because Gottfried has been married since 2007, or because he publicly complains that women fail to spontaneously shed their panties whenever he makes a funny. Who knows! There are endless justifications for not having sex with Gilbert Gottfried.

But Gottfried’s broader question—if humor is so important to scoring, why do some comedians strike out?—is, as a female resident of Los Angeles, of interest to me. In the New York Times on Thursday, Oxford experimental psychologist Gordon Claridge shares new research that speaks to one theory: The very same qualities that make standups beloved on the stage could compromise their appeal as a date. Compared to the layperson, comedians display a “tendency towards impulsive or anti-social behavior,” a “tendency to avoid intimacy,” and a “reduced ability to feel social and physical pleasure,” Claridge found in a study published in the British Journal of Psychiatry. Claridge asked 523 comedians to “complete an online questionnaire designed to measure psychotic traits in healthy people,” and determined that "the creative elements needed to produce humor” are “strikingly similar” to those of low-level psychosis.

The study found that comedians are even more psychotic than actors.

This is itself a stale joke—you gotta be crazy to go up there in front of a tough crowd, night after night—but it also speaks to the unique terribleness of the LA dating scene, where every other dude is a [whatever]-slash-standup-comedian. Witty repartee between two parties is sexy. A dude performing his routine over dinner is not. A shared sense of humor can foster intimacy between two people, but jokes can also be wielded as a tool to avoid getting too close. It doesn’t help that the comedy world is extremely male-dominated (four-fifths of Claridge’s subjects were men), that the old shtick that women are not funny is still in rotation, and that female comedians who try to enter that world are, as LA-based comic Gaby Dunn has written, often framed as sexual conquests instead of peers. None of these dynamics are ideal for fostering chemistry between men and women. For many of us, the attraction of laughter still hinges on equality and respect. It's the difference between seeing humor as a social pleasure instead of as a way for Gilbert Gottfried to get off.

Amanda Hess is a freelance writer and DoubleX contributor. She lives in Los Angeles. Tweet at her @amandahess.

Team Nachos

Being funny and having a sense of humor are two different things.

'Being funny' = Jonah Hill

'Having a sense of humor' = Robert Downey Jr.

When girls say they like a sense of humor, they mean they like Wit + Sarcasm.

Big difference.

You can be funny but you can't be a joke.

I just don't think women are attracted to Gilbert Gottfried [Image: lol.gif]
God he's annoying [Image: dodgy.gif]

Team Nachos

Yeah has he ever watched himself on tv. He's weird as fuck. Take a look in the mirror Gilbert that's why you don't get laid.

I am not surprised.

The problem with these so called funny guys is that they don't have game. They don't know how to get sexual, they are just funny dudes who can make a bunch of people laugh. Being funny and having game are two different things.

I have always hanged out with really funny guys. Were these guys getting laid a lot? Hell no.

However, when you mix being funny and being highly sexual, then you are on another level. This is when being funny pays off.

Also,..some guys just over exaggerate on the number of jokes. Reason why they get friend zoned.

There is a whole lotta truth to that.I'm funny and I have no concept of stage fright.I can make almost any woman laugh out loud but I've been told by several women that they can't take me seriously.The times I have had great succes with women I've had to dial back the humor and wit.

I think the reason why Gilbert doesn't have women throwing themselves at him is because of his voice. It is just odd and probably repelling to many women

Bitches like Channing Tatum. He's attractive to them, and he's funny in films like 21 Jump Street. They don't care if it's scripted, either.

Being funny is always going to get women. Humor predicts the number of sexual partners a man has (according to studies). Just combine humor with dominance.

Oh and by the way, don't really pay hyped up media articles too much mind. Their claims are often contradictory.

Gilbert Gottfried just sucks; he's obnoxious and annoying. And he's short.

How would guys compare Gilbert to Dice? Dice seems to project more of the traditional shit talking cocky/funny vibe that we talk about.
I bet he gets laid once in a while after a set.

Team Nachos

IIRC Dice has a 27 year old GF.

He's in his 50's.

I'm sure Dice gets a lot of trim.

Sometimes I feel as though my sense of humor has really diminished since high school. I was pretty witty and would make people laugh all the time. Several people even went to far as to say I was the funniest person they knew.

Now I am not that funny, or at least don't make nearly as many jokes. How is it that I have actually regressed in an area that I excelled at at 16?

Easy. My humor diminished in direct proportion to how much I got laid. Instead of talking on the phone to a crying girl for hours about her relationship problems and "being the only one who could make her feel better" with my goofy jokes, I became the guy who had sex her and occasionally made her cry by being an asshole. Yes, the same girl.

This was years before I had even heard of game, but it didn't take long for me to see the nice/funny guy didn't get the girl.

I'm able to incorporate more humor into my interactions with girls now, but as a side dish to sex and my asshole charm, not the entree.

There's a Difference between being a clown and being a funny guy. I think getting girls to laugh for being a sarcastic, asshole goes a long way. Of course it won't matter much if you're ugly as hell though.

Russell brand is funny and fucked hundreds of women

Being funny works

Think it's just Gilbert here

valhalla

This comedian walks around wearing a weird grimace like he always have a piece of shit stuck up his ass.

Pretty sure this was addressed as early as The Game.

Being funny is always a plus, but being The Dancing Monkey gets no one laid.

#NoSingleMoms
#NoHymenNoDiamond
#DontWantDaughters

When women say they want a guy with a sense of humor it just means they want a guy who laughs at their awful jokes.

Quote: (01-20-2014 11:59 PM)Art Pimp Wrote:  

When women say they want a guy with a sense of humor it just means they want a guy who laughs at their awful jokes.

Nah, they want someone who will make them laugh. "entertain me and make me laugh"

Yet somehow I think George Carlin got plenty of ass. But Gilbert isn't a comedian, he's a spastic ass.

They are attracted to humour. Like how they're attracted to shiny things.

They are not aroused by humour.

I am pretty sure Kevin Hart and Kat Williams get plenty of ass even though the latter is insane

"You either build or destroy,where you come from?"

Humor + Cool = Pussy

Humor + Clown = Clown

/thread

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Quote:article Wrote:

The very same qualities that make standups beloved on the stage could compromise their appeal as a date. Compared to the layperson, comedians display a “tendency towards impulsive or anti-social behavior,” a “tendency to avoid intimacy,” and a “reduced ability to feel social and physical pleasure,”

That explains why women are not attracted to all those impulsive, anti-social men who don't give a fuck.... oh wait.

[Image: womanhamster.gif]

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

What drives comedians is rage, deep down anger. Women run from that.