rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

FSU sleeper trains and Ukraine first impressions

A cheap way to get into Ukraine is by train from neighboring eu countries, which you can reach with low cost flights.

Going out of the train station at lviv and I was struck by the atmosphere.
Pretty girls in cheap clothes and lowlife thug looking dudes. I was not comfortable pulling out the smartphone in front of everyone.
Locals were helpful to deal with basic problems such as changing money.
Beat up buildings but luxury cars in the street.

Russian and/or Ukrainian mostly required around here. There are hot girls, but I definitely respect roosh and others for spending expended amounts of time around here. It's a tough lifestyle choice.

What?

Quote: (12-30-2013 01:24 PM)Chaos Wrote:  

What?

Chaos, respectfully, if you needed clarification of some sort, all you would have to do is ask him to clarify.

"What", to me, doesn't seem to move the conversation along. If anything, could cause someone to not want to share any more.

I am not sure if English is MF's first language, but from reading his short sharing he was passing along his first impressions of Lviv. I was actually going to ask for pics, since I am curious.

Off my soapbox now [Image: smile.gif]

Happy New Year!

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Quote: (12-30-2013 12:55 PM)MisterFresh Wrote:  

A cheap way to get into Ukraine is by train from neighboring eu countries, which you can reach with low cost flights.

BTW, the low-cost carrier Wizzair serves Lviv, Kiev, Donetsk, and Kharkiv.

I'll be in Zaporozhye until Sunday then Kharkiv. Will be in Lviv on Jan 11.

Happy New Year!

Quote: (12-30-2013 12:55 PM)MisterFresh Wrote:  

Going out of the train station at lviv and I was struck by the atmosphere.
Pretty girls in cheap clothes and lowlife thug looking dudes. I was not comfortable pulling out the smartphone in front of everyone.
Locals were helpful to deal with basic problems such as changing money.
Beat up buildings but luxury cars in the street.

Russian and/or Ukrainian mostly required around here. There are hot girls, but I definitely respect roosh and others for spending expended amounts of time around here. It's a tough lifestyle choice.

Yes, trains are cheap as f#ck there but they are also painfully slow. I would only recommend overnight sleeper trains as otherwise one would waste too much time traveling and not enough time gaming. I had a chance to travel all over UA earlier this year including crossing from Poland to UA, then to Kiev, then to Odessa, to Simferopol, and to some smaller eastern cities. In 2 weeks I probably spent about 32+ hours on the train and believe am well qualified to comment. For guys who think train game is easy you are mistaken. Unlike some US trains where you have no assigned seats, in these overnight dilapitated Soviet trains you are required to stay in your cabin upon departure and during border checks. Also, the train I had traveling between UA and Poland had no "restaurant car" so any drinks/food you should bring in advance...they only served tea and cheap snacks on our train.

Funny thing at the Polish border was when we were awaken late at night by a border guard in our cabin with a machine gun strapped to her chest (don't see this stuff in US for sure). After she finished checking our US passports an old Ukrainian railroad worker came to our cabin and would not leave us alone until we bought him some vodka and shared cigarette's. This was a big mistake on our part as shortly after another railroad guy came by (his buddie?) as they were working on changing railroad gauges and also demanded alcohol from us. I was about to tell him in my nicest russian to F off but he seemed like someone who wouldn't give a crap about fighting a foreigner so I backed off.

Approachable girls on these trains are scarce, traveling with local guys and not solo... during all my train travels I saw perhaps only 2 or 3 good looking girls traveling solo but alas did not have the courage to approach. Too many cars full of families or old people. The dream I had of meeting a chick on the UA trains and taking her back to my cabin never came to fruition. I did have an older woman share alcohol with me and party in front of her daughter but I am "kid-averse" so never pursued anything further.

Also, another word to the wise, make sure you buy your tickets in advance at the train station...train travel is the most popular mode of travel in UA and tickets on popular routes sell out in advance. I made the mistake of heading there on the day of my train leaving and ended up getting the last cabin available which was in the back of the car next to the bathroom. The walls were paper thin, so every couple minutes I was hearing pissing and flushing sounds [Image: angry.gif]

^^^ Funny story. I'm impressed that they had flushing toilets! Often on trains I've found that there's just a hole that leads down to the train tracks...

If only you knew how bad things really are.

Quote: (12-30-2013 10:42 PM)RexImperator Wrote:  

^^^ Funny story. I'm impressed that they had flushing toilets! Often on trains I've found that there's just a hole that leads down to the train tracks...

Rex, by "Flushing sounds" I did not mean it had a modern bathroom.
I believe next time I hit UA (hopefully this spring/summer when it get's warmer) I will be traveling exclusively by train again but this time I will do two things differently:
1) Make reservations at least couple days in advance and try for a mid-train cabin
2) Bring a ton of alcohol and treat all my neighbors on the car-train who seem friendly to some...I missed out on many opportunities my last trip as I completely avoided social circle game; I learned that just because a girl is traveling with a guy does not mean they are a couple and she ain't available for a hookup. lol

Sorry for the mistakes, I'm writing on a smartphone with auto correct.
This time of the year there are not too many tourists so I have space. I had a huge hostel dorm all for myself last night right in city center. Same story for the train, it was half full and yes it doesn't seem that easy to socialize on them.

to me lviv is like a poorer but also more authentic Budapest. Similar Austrian architecture but most buildings have not been renovated. It's not westernized yet, thanks to not being in the eu.

Ukrainian and eu flags are hanging on most touristy locations at the moment. It's surreal considering everywhere else in Europe the eu is hated upon. If Ukraine gets into the eu it will only benefit to bankers and a few local corrupt politicians. For common people prices will increase and their local companies will be bought and closed by foreign competitors, which means unemployment will rise.

Going to kiev tomorrow.

Mr Fresh are you in Lviv for NYE? any idea whot to do here tonight?

Quote: (12-31-2013 04:38 AM)MisterFresh Wrote:  

If Ukraine gets into the eu it will only benefit to bankers and a few local corrupt politicians. For common people prices will increase and their local companies will be bought and closed by foreign competitors, which means unemployment will rise.

It is amazing that no one learns this lesson based on recent history. Rising prices make things more expensive for the locals and also thwarts tourism to the country. This is an often overlooked element of the problems experienced in the PIIGS countries.

I spent new years eve in the train. I wanted to get away from the madness. In my cabin there was an Ukrainian dude. After ten minutes he pulled the beers. I said ok, one beer. Then he showed me a big luggage full of drinks. Then he gave vodka. By then the whole wagon was partying, including the crew.
At the end I wanted to give him some money to contribute for all the stuff I had drank, but he declined. Arrived in kiev with 2 hours of sleep and one of the worst hangovers. No chicks, but good memories so far.

sounds good! :-)))))))))

Quote: (01-01-2014 10:53 AM)MisterFresh Wrote:  

I spent new years eve in the train. I wanted to get away from the madness. In my cabin there was an Ukrainian dude. After ten minutes he pulled the beers. I said ok, one beer. Then he showed me a big luggage full of drinks. Then he gave vodka. By then the whole wagon was partying, including the crew.
At the end I wanted to give him some money to contribute for all the stuff I had drank, but he declined. Arrived in kiev with 2 hours of sleep and one of the worst hangovers. No chicks, but good memories so far.

MF, sounds like you are having fun. Thanks for the little bits you are sharing. If you got any pics share them! [Image: smile.gif]

[Image: thumb_thisthreadisworthlesswithoutp.gif]

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Quote: (01-01-2014 10:53 AM)MisterFresh Wrote:  

Cool. This is pretty standard in Russia also. Last year I spent more than 300 hours in platzkart (Russian third class). You basically live and share everything with yourfellow comrades. It's the ultimate way of learning Russian culture and to see how normal Russians are living their lives. Not good for chasing pussy, but interesting from an cultural viewpoint. I highly recommend everybody who are traveling in FSU countries to try this. Great experience.

Can't add pics for some reason.

I have fingered Ukrainian girls who I met in trains however they were non sleeper trains.

Today I went to the monument for the mother of the nation, huge Soviet thing.
At the metro station near the monument, I asked the way to two guys. They were Turkish tourists. We talked a bit, then they asked the way to a dyevuchka from Russia. So we were four tourists searching for the way.
The girl was not ugly, but not very pretty either. She could have been pretty but clearly made no effort. No makeup, unisex clothes. A way to signal disinterest. She did not speak English, but I also think she was a little bit slow in the head.
The interesting part is to witness how the Turkish tried to seduce her. Only one Turkish was trying, as the other spoke neither English or Russian.

He presented the mute Turkish friend as his bodyguard, and himself as a businessman. True or not, I think it's an excellent way to introduce a friend who can't speak the language.

It turns out we were all at the wrong metro station, and in the metro he kinoed the girl, pretending to prevent her from falling. Then he said he was an architect working on various projects in Germany, Ukraine and Turkey. He showed pictures of luxury hotels he was building, on his smartphone. Then he pulled out a second smartphone , saying he needed one for each country. He had the most expensive Samsung and the most expensive iPhone.
He told stories of how he'd been in every city in Ukraine, and even a small village 50km from kiev where he pulled a peasant and brought her to Istanbul. He said the peasant girl was impressed by all the meat she could eat in a kebab, because in Ukraine villages they eat only flour mixed with water, and potatoes.

The girl was not biting at anything after two hours, so he figured he was wasting time. He took social media contact and phone from the girl then left. I think he did everything he could, maybe he's even on this forum.

He left and I was alone with the girl, but I knew it was not a present. A bit later she mentioned her boyfriend, but I did not care. I took the opportunity to practice Russian with her, then we splitted at the end of the visit.

Quote: (01-01-2014 04:15 PM)Greek kamaki Wrote:  

I have fingered Ukrainian girls who I met in trains however they were non sleeper trains.

Were they sleeping?

Quote: (01-05-2014 04:12 AM)Clunge Wrote:  

Were they sleeping?

No.What I mean Ukrainian trains are a goldmine but only in case they have normal seats(the slow trains or electricka between close cities).The ones running big distances are almost always sleeper trains and thus inconvenient.
The whole train game is to sit next to a girl in train talk with her and then start touching her.Girls respond very well in this environment.I remember when I fingered and she had to be silent just one meter from the other passengers in front.
The same in Belarus.I remember touching a girl's breasts in a station waiting for the train.Generally trains in Ukraine,Russia,Poland,CR are one of the best things and offer a memorable ride always.

I shared a compartment with a Polish girl on the way to Warsaw....I hit that. Funny considering she had an American boyfriend in the peace corps in Kremunchung.
I also banged the girl who works on the train once. I sometimes would take the whole compartment(back them 30 bucks). I had a bottle of champagne and invited the girl to come back to me after she was done checking passports.

Quote: (01-05-2014 04:12 AM)Clunge Wrote:  

Were they sleeping?

Ofcourse but I am sure he figured out what the transactional cost was and left EXACT change [Image: blush.gif]

To the experienced FSU sleeper train vets: What's the best way to handle solo travel on long-distance trains in FSU, like the trans-Siberian?

When you're on the train solo you don't have someone to watch your stuff if you want to check out the dining car or go to the can, so what do you do with your things if you're in a compartment with strangers? Passport, money, credit cards you can keep on you, but would you take things like your laptop and camera with you whenever you leave the compartment? Do you have drinks and risk something disappearing while you're passed out? Is it better to rough it in the platzcart in the hope that being among more people would make it more difficult to have something pilfered?

Last time I took the overnight train to St. Petersberg I bought out the 2 spot compartment so I could have it to myself and things went smoothly, but I kept mostly to myself. They tried to put some dude in my compartment at one of the stops, so I had to make it clear without speaking Russian that it's not happening unless they refund the other ticket.

Quote: (01-05-2014 05:10 PM)edlefou Wrote:  

To the experienced FSU sleeper train vets: What's the best way to handle solo travel on long-distance trains in FSU, like the trans-Siberian?

When you're on the train solo you don't have someone to watch your stuff if you want to check out the dining car or go to the can, so what do you do with your things if you're in a compartment with strangers? Passport, money, credit cards you can keep on you, but would you take things like your laptop and camera with you whenever you leave the compartment? Do you have drinks and risk something disappearing while you're passed out? Is it better to rough it in the platzcart in the hope that being among more people would make it more difficult to have something pilfered?

Last time I took the overnight train to St. Petersberg I bought out the 2 spot compartment so I could have it to myself and things went smoothly, but I kept mostly to myself. They tried to put some dude in my compartment at one of the stops, so I had to make it clear without speaking Russian that it's not happening unless they refund the other ticket.

Never traveled that far or long on train but I wouldn't leave valuables. Carry them with you. Sorry to say but things do go missing on those trains..sometimes the crew even takes the shit.

I took an overnight train from Moscow to St. Petersburg last year. I forget how much I paid for the ticket, but I left from Moscow around 8 PM, and I got into St. Petersburg around 5 AM. Not exactly the most convenient travel schedule, but I did get some rest. The train gives you a pillow, sheets, and a blanket, so you don't need to bring your own. There are 4 beds in each room- 2 up, 2 down. I took the upper bed. I did this during the summer, so the train was hot. I didn't take this trip solo, so I didn't worry about my stuff getting stolen.

The toilet was a hole over the tracks with a faucet that I couldn't figure out.

Quote: (01-02-2014 12:00 PM)MisterFresh Wrote:  

Today I went to the monument for the mother of the nation, huge Soviet thing.
At the metro station near the monument, I asked the way to two guys. They were Turkish tourists. We talked a bit, then they asked the way to a dyevuchka from Russia. So we were four tourists searching for the way.
The girl was not ugly, but not very pretty either. She could have been pretty but clearly made no effort. No makeup, unisex clothes. A way to signal disinterest. She did not speak English, but I also think she was a little bit slow in the head.
The interesting part is to witness how the Turkish tried to seduce her. Only one Turkish was trying, as the other spoke neither English or Russian.

He presented the mute Turkish friend as his bodyguard, and himself as a businessman. True or not, I think it's an excellent way to introduce a friend who can't speak the language.

It turns out we were all at the wrong metro station, and in the metro he kinoed the girl, pretending to prevent her from falling. Then he said he was an architect working on various projects in Germany, Ukraine and Turkey. He showed pictures of luxury hotels he was building, on his smartphone. Then he pulled out a second smartphone , saying he needed one for each country. He had the most expensive Samsung and the most expensive iPhone.
He told stories of how he'd been in every city in Ukraine, and even a small village 50km from kiev where he pulled a peasant and brought her to Istanbul. He said the peasant girl was impressed by all the meat she could eat in a kebab, because in Ukraine villages they eat only flour mixed with water, and potatoes.

The girl was not biting at anything after two hours, so he figured he was wasting time. He took social media contact and phone from the girl then left. I think he did everything he could, maybe he's even on this forum.

He left and I was alone with the girl, but I knew it was not a present. A bit later she mentioned her boyfriend, but I did not care. I took the opportunity to practice Russian with her, then we splitted at the end of the visit.

MisterFresh, interesting observation on your Turkish pals. The Turkish guys overrunning UA is both a blessing and a disguise for us westerners. I would say it is an advantage many times as there is a very large minority of UA girls who do not go for them, so we automatically get bonus points if we look and act different. Also, the Turkish guy night game is rather weak as they do almost everything in groups, similar to game I saw from a group of Iranian guy tourists last time I was in Kiev...buying up tables, spending money in clubs like crazy, and usually going for some of the worst looking girls around just to get laid. That means once the leftovers are picked up we can concentrate on the 7+ girls. More often than not they speak just basic Russian so are forced to speak basic English and that is where we have (western Europeans/Americans) have an advantage over them.

The big advantage they have is logistics, i.e., I spoke to Turkish guys who make multiple trips per year to UA to find girlfriends...and invest a crazy amount of time and money in this venture. For most of us taking anything more than 2 weeks off at a time means risking loosing our jobs so time is something we definitely don't have [Image: confused.gif]