rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Cayman Islands - Any Information?

I was wondering if anyone has some information on the Cayman Islands.

I got offered a job there, which is pretty neat in terms of the work itself, and the pay as well. But I am just a bit concerned after doing some research whether it would actually be a good move.

The place is pretty small for one, so that is a big minus. And also I am not entirely sure how good the social/nightlife is considering it is rather small and from the looks of it a popular destination for retirement.

The good thing is that it is close to a bunch of places in the US, as well as South America and the other islands in the Caribbean (DR, PR) so would probably allow for lot more travel opportunities in the area.

Anyway I would appreciate if anyone has some data on the place, even if it is only during short term visits etc or stuff you've heard from others.

I am mostly interested in any thoughts or information on:

1. Social/Night Life
2. Women (Local & Tourists)
3. Travel
4. Anything else you have ...

Thanks in advance!

Game is not about sex. Sex is a by-product, albeit an excellent one, it is the thrill of the hunt!!

I was there to dive, which is some of the best in the world. Australia, the South Pacific and possibly Ecuador are the only places that can compete.

It takes probably an hour or so, give or take to drive across the island.

Definitely not a place for nightlife. Georgetown is about the only 'city' there is, and I'd be hard pressed to even call it that. A couple of good places there, but it's a sleepy place. Then again, you're living in paradise between the quiet, diving, and simplicity of the place.

*Disclaimer* - I was there before the island was blown off the map by a hurricane 6 or 7 years back, so my info isn't timely. I've heard it's been rebuilt, but I have no idea.

I've been there, Grand Cayman, 3 times to dive (never been to Little Cayman or Cayman Brac, the sister islands), the last trip in July of 2012. Like MaleDefined said, the diving is fantastic. I can't speak much to the nightlife. Seems like there are the usual assortment of beach bars and the like, but nothing fantastic. The land itself is not much to look at (not because of the hurricane MD referenced, just a flat, ugly island in my opinion), but the water's beautiful. I believe lots of people relocate there to work in offshore banking due to there being no income taxes in the Caymans. Most people live in Georgetown, which has high end shops to attract the cruise shippers, but if you get out to the section known as "east end," things are sparse, population wise, and the topography is a little better. But, if you lived out there, you'd be looking at about a 45 minute commute to G'town everyday each way.

Best of luck with the move.

Any information on the Grand Caymans? I'm guessing there must be some hot/rich tourist chicks around?

I've lived there for many years and am living there now. The Cayman Islands has better night life than many realise:

1) There's a club called Lillie's which is jumping on Friday's with mostly young girls in the 18-25 years range. Bizarrely it's only open on Fridays

2) There's a Filipino Bar called Popo Jebs which has a constant stream of young Filipinas if you can stand the Karaoke and rowdy atmossphere. Open every day, usually until 1 or 2 am, Saturdays closes at 12 am like everywhere else

3) Lone Star is a sports bar where you'll find mostly American girls, there are a number of these bars, like Deckers or even Legendz

4) The best cocktails are at Crudo, who also do a disco style evening, but the crowd is very mixed, meaning older women and couples are there, it's not a typical pick up joint

5) For typical pick up joint Power Supply is the place to go, small basic and a really shitty bar but known as a pick up place, don't like it, Also mostly thirsty guys.

6) There's O'Bar which is a lounge - nightclub like place, only really busy on Fridays. Locals like to go there to shoot pool as well as expats

7) Royal Palms is a favourite among locals for beach vibe dj-led drinking in an Ibiza style but you can' t really pick up there very well, it's mostly groups and couples

8) The Wharf does Boogie Nights on the last Friday of the month, but it's mostly older women would give it a miss

9) There is now a strip club, Mariposa, which is more of a pole dancing place.

All in all the quality of girls in Grand Cayman is exceedingly high, higher than many places, because women follow where the money is. This does not just go for hangers on in couples, but you will also find tons of beautiful Jamaican girls who go to Cayman for work. If you don't like black girls Filipinos make up one of the highest percentage ethnic groups in Cayman, they're everywhere, have their own restaurants and bars and there's a lot of young single good looking Filipinas here. But with the usual problems of Filipinas, single mothers, sluts, liars, flakers. Then there is a very large Latino contigent, by which I mean a very exciting mix of Honduranian and Cuban women above all, but also some Colombianas, Costa Ricans. Lots of Canadians, Americans and British too. I was lucky to meet a Malaysian accountant recently, slim and delightful.

There is some tourism, and the occasional hot cruise ship tourist, but the local talent is where it's at.

For travel there are direct flights from Cayman to Cuba, Honduras, New York, Toronto, Chicago, Denver, Kingston, Miami and Tampa. There's a direct flight to London which takes about 13 hours. There are also cheap flights to Montego Bay to Europe, with MoBay being served by Cayman. You can visit Cayman brac, Little Cayman, or Owen Island, if you like water sports. Speaking of which, water sports are amazing here. I took up sailing and it's world reknown for diving as well.

Seven Mile Beach is, in my opinion, and I've been to most of Europe and Asia, the most beautiful beach in the world. Turquoise waters, soft wide sand and spacious.

Now with Camana Bay there is a new entertainment / shopping hub. Karoo is located there, perhaps the most popular bar now. There are very good Indian, Asian fusion, Caribbean, Filipino, American, Latin American, Chinese, Japanese and many other restaurants. Restaurants are really good here. Camana Bay was created by the Dart Family who now virtually own Cayman and are developing it at a fast pace. This is the golden age of Cayman. You would be coming at a good time.

There is a botanical garden, a turtle farm outdoor pool complex which often hosts Soca and Reggae nights, you can swim with Dolphins, take a helicopter ride, go to the crystal caves, there are a few attractions.

In February the Kaboo music festival will be taking place here, a luxury music festival with foodie, comedy and other elements. The line up includes Blondie, Jason Derulo, Counting Crows, Flo Rida, Bryan Adams, Shaggy, Maxi Priest and others.

That's the good news. The bad news:

1) Cayman is very expensive. If you don't have USD 4800 to spend on living costs each month better not come here. There's no income tax but every imported item is slapped with duties, including food. Everything you buy. So you still pay tax, but in terms of much higher living costs.

2) It is very small. If you like the urban vibe, don't like water sports, then you may struggle or will have to travel a lot to make it long term.

3) Because it is very small once you live here you have to be careful how you game. People talk here. A lot. The gossip is a male/female contact sport here. There's no online gaming worth it's salt. You'd have to do day or night game. For day game, the waterholes like Kirk's Supermarket has a lot of talent.

4) Traffic, it's a problem, despite the island being small, and Jamaicans drive like maniacs.

In terms of pension the law was changed recently, so you can't take the money out per se, only transfer it to another pension of yours. Medical services are improving greatly, Canadian and US doctors as well as British and German and Indian doctors are the rule here, there are hospitals and a new 'Health City' close to East End.

There are rare earthquakes and rare hurricanes. The last big hit was hurricane Ivan in 2004. Hurricane season ends in November and starts in June.

All in all it is a fantastic place to live, the sky has colours at sunset you see nowhere else, the beach is the best in the world, great restaurants, friendly people

Hit me up if you have any specific questions.

^Great Summary. I'll hit you up for more info.

Thanks, I replied to your PM.

One other place that came to mind, Cotton Club, it's mostly filled with Latinas, a nightclub.

Again, there's been a bit of development in the last few years, Camana Bay being the shining example, a glorious upmarket mix of shopping, restaurants and amenities in an open air style.

It has the world's best ice-cream at Gelato, an authentic Italian place, pair a Dulce de Leche (4 dollars for the smallest cup) with a real Italian Aranciata lemonade.