rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Finding quality items, from places which are known for them

I had a hard time trying to phrase the title what I meant concisely, but basically certain areas are known for certain things. For instance hookahs in middle east, fabrics in Bali, clothing in Italy, Rugs in Turkey, Boomerangs in Oz etc.

Has anyone ever gone to these places with the intent of buying quality items of those sorts, and how did you make out? I went to UAE a couple years back, and wanted to buy a high quality hookah. Didn't mind dropping some money on it, but all I could find was touristy shops, selling the same made in china, cheap plated metal as everywhere else.

My mom likes Fabrics, so living in Indo she wanted me to pick up some in Bali or clothes with Bali prints, but basically at least around the tourist places, its the same cheap stuff everywhere.

Has anyone ever gone somewhere with the intent of getting quality goods, and how did you make out / avoid the tousity places.

Or is it just a fools errand and an anachronism from years past? A throwback to the time when before international commerce and import/export was commonplace. Ironically the best quality hookahs I've ever seen were manufactured in the US from specialty producers.

Leather in Florence... all they sell there these days is Chinese. Northampton is the only place left for good leather.

They're still making the best pussy in St. Petersburg. At least some things haven't changed. [Image: biggrin.gif]

That's why you don't go to tourist areas to buy quality stuff. You don't go to Medellin to buy coffee, you go to pereira or armenia.

Exactly, except for the fact that these places are the ones known for it, so circular logic, but if you don't know about the places you need to go to get the quality stuff, those places by definition aren't known for it.

Oddly enough, I was actually in Florence a month ago, and that's what got me thinking on this topic. Since my wallet is starting to fall apart I was thinking of picking up a nice one there, but I had a hard time because most of the shops were selling the same mass produced stuff. I suppose I could have gone to any high end retailer, but one doesn't need to go to Italy to buy a nice wallet at Armani, and if you do want to shop there, often prices for the same goods are cheaper in the US.

Quote: (11-26-2013 04:34 AM)Seadog Wrote:  

a nice wallet at Armani

I don't know if you've been in one of their stores recently, but all they're selling these days is the same mass produced trash that everyone else does. People these days, like sheep, are only interested in the latest fashion.

China is the way to go for buying stuff (its all made there anyways). As for hookahs, look into all glass hookahs (ala Fumo). By far the best smoke I have EVER had. Don't skimp on the coals and shisha- get the most expensive cocconut coals and starbuzz flavors

[Image: Hookah-Fumo-Pod-Duo-L.jpg?pIdProduct=12500]

WIA- For most of men, our time being masters of our own fate, kings in our own castles is short. Even those of us in the game will eventually succumb to ease of servitude rather than deal with the malaise of solitude