rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Shoulder injury prevention

It seems to be fairly common to pick up shoulder injuries in the gym or training martial arts and they're quite nasty. What would be the best way to prevent them/minimize risk?

Almost every shoulder injury I've seen came down to improper technique. The worst I've seen was a female martial arts trainee that landed a roll incorrectly and broke her clavicle. Proper lifting technique will also help prevent sprains and tears of muscle and ligament.

Quote: (02-16-2014 01:05 PM)jariel Wrote:  
Since chicks have decided they have the right to throw their pussies around like Joe Montana, I have the right to be Jerry Rice.

Dont sleep with your arm under the pillow and extended out, with your head resting on top.

Quote:Quote:

Don't sleep with your arm under the pillow and extended out, with your head resting on top.

Ah. I've been guilty of that and am having some left shoulder pain issues at the moment. What's the proper position to sleep in?

If only you knew how bad things really are.

The search feature is your friend.

Dig and search around this thread:

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-25739.html

Common shoulder issues were addressed as well as ways to prevent them. My suggestion was rotator cuff warm ups to help prevent stress and damage on press days.

Most common, as mentioned above, is improper technique. It could also be that your your shoulders are rolled forward, due to overdevelopment of your front deltoids from pressing.

I used to suffer from this. The way to resolve this problem is to always roll your scalpula back when in resting position whenever you're pressing and even pulling weight. This will ensure your shoulder joints are in the correct position and that your shoulder muscles (traps, deltoids, etc) receive the brunt of the burden.

Get a better warm up, especially in the winter.

Start off with lighter weight and perfect form.

When you pain, STOP, and do something else.

Do light stretching on off days,

Through my years of wrestling and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, I find it imperative to warm up correctly and actually have a sweat going before your "real" workout. For prevention before even stepping in the gym is making sure you have structural/muscular balance i.e correct posture and movement

I injured my shoulder. Talking with friends, this aint something to "shrug off" (unintentional pun).

Background: Been lifting since beginning of 2014. I do heavy sets of 6-8 reps of typical upper body exercises: Bench and/or dumbbell workout (chest), Machine flys (chest), Curls (bi's), Lateral dumbell deltoid raises, Shrugs, Dumbbell shoulder press, Dips (tri's), Machine tri's, situps, sometimes pull ups forward and reverse grip.

Two weeks ago I wanted to work my back to pull my shoulders back and offset chest workouts. I think this may be when I messed it up. I was doing 6-10 rep sets on a back machine.

Tweaked it, and didn't realize it may have been the back issue, thought it was the chest/shoulder workout, so I did a another back workout. Now it really hurts. I'm still playing basketball. I'd like to maintain some machine workouts that won't bother my shoulder.

Shoulder injury sucks.

“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”

Quote: (11-18-2013 04:42 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

When you pain, STOP, and do something else.

This is so key. There's no competition. There is absolutely no reason not to take a few days off or go super light until things feel right again. One week off to let something a little wonky clear up is better than 2 months to over a year off to heal an actual injury.