rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How Do You Vastly Improve and Strengthen Your Immune System ?

Ever since, I was a little kid, I've always been getting sick a couple times a year. And my illnesses last for about a month. How do I keep myself from getting sick for so long and so often. I understand exercise, sleep and nutrition are the basic elements. But any other helpful hints, books or websites, I can look at would be helpful. Just sick of getting so often. It affects my mood, my productivity and my game! I know this is not exactly the right place for this, but I am curious as to what people say...

Quote: (10-02-2013 12:41 AM)Shadowarrior Wrote:  

Ever since, I was a little kid, I've always been getting sick a couple times a year. And my illnesses last for about a month. How do I keep myself from getting sick for so long and so often. I understand exercise, sleep and nutrition are the basic elements. But any other helpful hints, books or websites, I can look at would be helpful. Just sick of getting so often. It affects my mood, my productivity and my game! I know this is not exactly the right place for this, but I am curious as to what people say...

Zinc.

Quote: (10-02-2013 01:07 AM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

Zinc.

I was just reading some of the posts on this. But does it help with your immune system?

Quote: (10-02-2013 01:27 AM)Shadowarrior Wrote:  

Zinc.

I was just reading some of the posts on this. But does it help with your immune system?

The early data suggests that it does:

"Prophylactic zinc supplementation for at least five months reduces incidence, school absences and prescription of antibiotics for children with the common cold"

http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD001364/z...ommon-cold

"Analysis of the studies showed that zinc supplementation was significantly associated with reducing the incidence and prevalence of pneumonia among children of two to 59 months of age"
http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD005978/z...-59-months

"This systematic review of 24 trials involving more than 9000 children shows that zinc supplementation may reduce the duration of diarrhoea in children aged six months or more."
http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD005436/o...n-children

Most of the research has been done in kids but I understand that some studies have started in adults. It will take about 5 years for the results to start coming out.

My personal experience is that it has dramatically improved my health and resistance to infectious diseases, especially viruses.

Quote: (10-02-2013 01:37 AM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

Quote: (10-02-2013 01:27 AM)Shadowarrior Wrote:  

Zinc.

The early data suggests that it does:

"Prophylactic zinc supplementation for at least five months reduces incidence, school absences and prescription of antibiotics for children with the common cold"

http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD001364/z...ommon-cold

"Analysis of the studies showed that zinc supplementation was significantly associated with reducing the incidence and prevalence of pneumonia among children of two to 59 months of age"
http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD005978/z...-59-months

"This systematic review of 24 trials involving more than 9000 children shows that zinc supplementation may reduce the duration of diarrhoea in children aged six months or more."
http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD005436/o...n-children

Most of the research has been done in kids but I understand that some studies have started in adults. It will take about 5 years for the results to start coming out.

My personal experience is that it has dramatically improved my health and resistance to infectious diseases, especially viruses.

Okay, thanks. Any recommendations on brand, dosage and pill type? I briefly looked into it and it said recommended dosage was like 14g. Some people on here are doing like 50-100.

Also Vit D, 5000 IU per day.

Don't do this

I'm a pro at this. In the ME, there was something known as the "Kuwaiti Crud". It was a germ that Americans weren't used to and most got it and it was brutal. Just the same as putting boots on ground in Afghan in the middle of winter with 8 inches of snow on the ground. I remember getting sick in Iraq, but not near the level others did. From then on I started studying habits of people when landing and observing who got sick. You can almost lay money on it.

1. Drug users. They got sick right off the bat and stayed that way.

2. Obese people. Nuff said.

3. Old people. Goes without saying. Sometimes they died.

4. Smokers/drinkers. That's me and the 95%.

When we landed, people started and weezing, and it spread like wildfire. Before deployment, I'd hit the PX and stock up heavy on Dayquil/Nyquil. It wasn't for me, and normally I don't care for the dope heads, lard asses, and geezers, but being stuck in a tent for weeks with the dying increased my chances of catching it. But I never got it in the group environment in the first month. Why? I'd run around caring for the lepers. Healing them fast stopped the outbreak, keeping me from getting it.

[Image: attachment.jpg14744]   

Before deployment:

1. I start dosing up on vitamin C and multivitamins.

2. Eat a lot of greens, ie. collards/mustard/turnip/kale. Natures super food.

3. Lower stress levels. It's bad enough in the shuffle, but going to war never bothered me, but being around idiots do, so I'll hang with those that aren't clusterfucks. Huge stess reducer, laughing and pointing.

4. Sleep. Ok so we're partying like its 1999, but I try to catch catnips throughout the day, getting as much as I can.

5. Exercise. Usually at that point a lot of walking is involved so it helps. Not much time for anything else other than a few calisthenics in the hotel room.

6. ACV. Discovered it the last two years and I KNOW it made a difference. It kept me going the last two international trips, when everyone had the plague around me.

During Deployment:

1. Shit tons of h2o. This is important. A lot of folks don't realize their dehydrated when its cold. I suck down coffee all day and almost double the h2o intake to where I piss so much it gets annoying. But I have to counteract the diuretic.

2. Energy drinks. Bad mojo. I believe there is a correlation between those that got sick an Monsters/Red Bulls. Those things will kill you. I tried to keep mine to extreme emergencies. Sometimes though a brothers gotta do what a brothers gotta do.

3. Diet. I suck it up and eat the healthiest things on the food line. Short order was fine now and again, but I kept it to a lot of lean meat, salad, beans, milk/dairy, soup, etc. Again, People that stayed fucked lived on fat and sugar.

4. Exercise. Big one here. Hitting the gym. The group of us that did rarely got sick, but then again, we were usually living a healthier lifestyle overall than those that didn't.

5. Jerking off. For some stupid shit reason I cut back thinking I needed all the bio chemical processes in my body to fight infection, not blow a load. No idea if it helped, but jerking off was never a good idea with rough hands anyways.

6. Good housekeeping. Your body will take in the germs, and fight them off, but that strains the immune system. Lowering the amount going in greatly decreases your chances on 2 fronts. I kept my hands, tools, and surfaces disinfected all the time.

Pre-deployment takes a lot of out you, but I counteracted the initial hit on my immune system and kept it up during deployment. I got sick on the last trip to Afghan, but it was minor and the incubation period was far less than everyone else. Nothing is 100%. Sometimes dudes get it on the second go around, and suffer bad cause their system is still weak. People were always sick in the DR. I stayed on supplements, and would feel the bug, double up on my ‘C’ and ACV, and it would die off in a day, and I never really felt bad. Coconut was a lifesaver too! If I ever go back to the ME, I’m gonna order coconut water by the fucking pallet.

Post Deployment:

1. Drink copious amounts of alcohol to kill any germs in the system.

Supplements:

1. Vitamin C crystals.

2. ACV

3. Multivitamin

Hopping up on supplements when you get sick won't help much. It takes time for the body to adjust, and by then the bug has run its course. Preventive measures go far. That's it. You should be getting the rest of your nutrients from food. And if you get sick on Paleo, I told you so.

If you guys have any questions let me know. I've got the immune system thing on lockdown.

Sleep

Eat right

Positive mental attitude or be so full of piss and vinegar that the microbes don't want to be in you. That second option doesn't sound scientific but it works.

Sleep: Use schedules. Waking up at 5 works best for me. Doing a nap in the day works quite well. Problem is it´s not possible with most jobs.

Low stress, don´t let chics drive you crazy.

Exercise: Running obligatory 2x per day (middle distance, uphill, sprint). Use music to feel energized. Bodyweight training.

Use standing desks for reading.

Work: only low stress jobs or no working at all. Or working hard then living frugally and healthy with the earned money.

Bro, try humic/fulvic acid. This stuff is amazing for it's regenerative, antimicrobial and health giving properties. I use a brand called humicin. Give it a try and you'll never stop taking it.

Quote: (10-02-2013 04:13 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

Don't do this

You're an asshole, mechanico! [Image: sleepy.gif]

I used to get sick because I smoke and drank a lot.

Now I still smoke (quitting here and there for a month at a time) and drink a lot (always), but since I bought a hamilton beach juicer and starting drinking shitloads of vegetables (wash them), I quit feeling like shit all the time.

Seriously man, buy a hamilton beach big mouth juicer at walmart and start drinking a large glass of nasty shit every day. I don't even care what it tastes like. My go-to drink now is half an onion, a fairly large bunch of celery (should juice roughly half a pint), one carrot (for flavor), and some wet kale. Just throw some cinnamon and cocoa powder in it for antioxidants, a large handful of grapes if you're a pussy, pinch your nose and choke it down.

Edit: Lift too. Get like 150 grams of protein per day minimum and start lifting hard and heavy.

Keep your hands of your face - no exceptions. Almost all common illnesses are from touching your mouth, nose or ear with your hands.

Low stress, sleep, and kefir.

The latest thing I've heard about, the "if you only take one thing" is L Glutathione.

Supposed to be involved in everything. They give it to chemotherapy patients to help fight side effects.

I'm coming up on 3 years with ZERO illness, nothing more than a sneeze.

I take:

8 grams C per day (4 morning, 4 night)
5-6 grams D per day (morning)
Cod liver oil twice a day (3-4 capsules)
Magnesium in the evening (sleep regulator, works wonders)

I've recently started supplementing B6 (protein absorption), after reading about it on RoK, and have been pleased with the results. And cinnamon capsules as well (these act like a reverse insulin spike, for damage control if you cheat).

I would say the C and D are by far the most important.

There is almost always at least one brand on BOGO at my local supercenter. I stock up during these sales. It's always enough to last me at least until the next sale, and usually longer.

A huge component of your immune system is your gut flora. The number one cause of bad gut flora problems is SUGAR. First and foremost, just stop eating any foods with sugar added. Close behind that is wheat flour and the shitty oils (Soybean, cottonseed, canola, "vegetable oil," sunflower, safflower and of course anything that is partially hydrogenated) that are used to make processed foods and the 6 C's - candy, cookies, chips, crackers, cakes, and cereal.

Second of all, eating a lot of naturally fermented foods helps grow the right types of gut flora that will boost your immune system:

Full Fat Organic Yogurt (PLAIN - flavored is usually packed full of immune-compromising sugar)
Kefir
Full Fat Sour Cream
Sauerkraut
Pickles
Kim Chee
Naturally Brewed Soy Sauce
Naturally aged cheeses
Micro-Brewed Beer
Wine

Oh, and another great food for your gut and immune system is bone broths - aka REAL soups and stews made from boiling bones and carcasses, not your canned Campbells crap, or stock made from bullion or powdered mix types. Boiled bone soups and stews are rich in Glutaithone, gelatin, and marrow - all great for your gut health and overall health.

While the first two things you can do to boost your immunity (cut out sugar and processed foods, eat naturally fermented foods and broths), the 3rd thing you should do is up your vitamin D3 levels.

Best way is to sunbathe at mid-day without sunscreen.

Thanks, guys. This has been very helpful. As of now, I'm taking 50 mg of Zinc, 5000 IU of Vitamin D and 500 mg of Vitamin C every day. I've been doing this for approximately a week, and my sinus infection seems to have mostly, if not all, cleared up. And more importantly, my cold has pretty much disappeared. The only thing left is my asthma which is probably due to my smoking. I will also incorporate a lot of the other things mentioned here in the very near future.

Don't eat pasteurized dairy. Don't eat sugar or processed grains. Take 1/2 teaspoon of absorbic acid a day (vitamin c) before bed will give you good dreams.

This thread is right up my alley. I was like you in my 20's. I always caught a cold or the flu several times a years. Now I am into holistic health and I might catch something once every three years. I am now on my longest streak ever. I have not not caught a cold or flu in four or five years. In fact, it has now been so long that I cannot honestly remember. This stuff really works!

First, keep your hands away from your face, especially your eyes, nose, and mouth. This is how bacteria and viruses enter your body. Wash your hands often during flu season.

Second, learn to listen to your body. It will tell you when something has invaded it. With me, it is a small tickle or scratching sensation at the back of my throat. As soon as I feel that sensation, I do the following (even if I wake up at 3:00 a.m.):

Third, take the following herbs and supplements every two to three hours for as long as any symptoms exist, plus three days:

1. Vitamin C -- at least 1000 mg.

2. Echinacea (either alone or with Goldenseal) -- 800 to 1200 mg. (two or three capsules)

3. Bee Propolis -- 600 to 1200 mg.

** Zinc -- 100 grams per day maximum (more than this amount is counter-productive).

It is important to keep this stuff on hand, so that you can begin taking it immediately. This will cost money, but I decided long ago that I would rather spend $100 on herbs and supplements than feel lousy for a few weeks or a month. View it as an ongoing investment in your health.

In addition, you can take anything else that boosts your immune system: ACV, wheatgrass tabs, oregano oil, bee pollen, raw garlic, astragalus, cayenne pepper, multivitamins, etc. Do not drink alcohol. Do not do anything that lowers your immune system. Do not work out. Let your body rest and allow it to fight off the invader. Eat homemade soup, if possible. This allows the body to use less energy for digestion and to use more energy for recovery.

When I travel offshore, I do everything that I listed above for two weeks prior to the trip to peak out my immune system. Plus I take pro-biotics and digestive enzymes during that period. For my trip, I pack Echinacea, vitamin C, ginger capsules, digestive enzymes, peppermint oil, sea salt (gargle), and grapefruit seed extract in a travel health kit. Grapefruit seed extract is something new (for me) that I have played with for the past year. It is powerful stuff. I may add it to my flu fighting routine listed above.

I highly recommend this book (Travel Healthy by Lalitha Thomas) for international travelers, because it discusses everything that you need for a health travel kit and it describes what each health item does (most health items have multiple uses):

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Healthy-Tra...thy+thomas