rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

American English accent to other languages

I had a discussion with a friend the other day about this. Certain accents transfer much better than others when learning a new language.

For instance, Antonio Banderas sounds extremely cool in English, with his Spanish accent. A gringo sounds like a derelict in Spanish no matter how good his Spanish is.

The English accent (American English) simply doesn't transfer well with anything in my opinion. I'm guessing same thing with German.

I think it's very well known than when it comes to being an unappealing language, German takes the cake by a light year or two.

To those of you in other countries...how is standard American English (not southern or east coast English) generally perceived in your country?

I know the British accent is seen as cool, but what about American?

Why is German an unappealing language? Do you speak German?

No, but I've studied languages at the collegiate level in the past and it's well-known that German isn't exactly "appealing sounding". I was wondering if English is seen this way as well, outside of the US.

Quote: (08-14-2013 12:47 AM)la_mode Wrote:  

No, but I've studied languages at the collegiate level in the past and it's well-known that German isn't exactly "appealing sounding". I was wondering if English is seen this way as well, outside of the US.

Why do you say it's well known that it isn't exactly appealing sounding? Who is it well known by?

I for one, like how German sounds. I've been learning it for seven years.I understand that my own example does not prove me correct by virtue of me being an exception.

But what about the Germans? They seem to like how their language sounds just fine.

Wald

I've done the same. I have a fairly low opinion of 'collegiate level language study' in the US since the majority of students (me included) were able to coast by without knowing how to ask where a bathroom was or how to order dinner. Most US colleges lack the "A", "B", or "C" level standardization that is the norm in overseas language study courses. I have a BA in German and while I'm semi-competently fluent I'm definitely not above a B level in either speaking or writing. Even though I went through with that and learned a lot I can honestly say that much of it was a waste of time compared to where a little directed self-study would have gotten me.

After two or three months in the country, though, German started to sound really good.
Most people who think it sounds unappealing (and create these common stereotypes) studied romance languages or read how to say "I love you" in German from an international valentine's day card and believe that gives them authority to speak on such things. Listen to a woman speak German and it might strike your ear differently.

Maybe to some foreigners English is an ugly language but most of them understand that speaking English is a good way towards a bigger paycheck, so they're enthusiastic about practicing it.
What I found strange was that the people who thought English was the most beautiful were Brazilian tourists. Speaking English (hell, German too) was generally hated among French tourists. My sample size is <10 people for each though so take it with a grain of salt.

Made me think of this...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BZXcRqFmFa8...ZXcRqFmFa8

The better you speak a language the less it has a distinctive sound to it. I remember as a kid when I didn't speak English fluently yet it sounded like Danish or Dutch to me (eg. I was unable to tell English from Danish when we would visit Denmark). If you're a native English speaker and you want an idea of what English sounds like to non-speakers, I'd say your best bet is to listen to something in Dutch. Dutch people frequently don't even have a noticeable accent in English.

Of course if your native language is distant enough (like mine) most northern European languages (Germanic and Slavic) pretty much sound like variations of the same language anyway. For most of the world English and German probably sound pretty much alike with German having bit "harsher" consonant sounds.

Quote: (08-14-2013 12:27 AM)la_mode Wrote:  

I had a discussion with a friend the other day about this. Certain accents transfer much better than others when learning a new language.

For instance, Antonio Banderas sounds extremely cool in English, with his Spanish accent. A gringo sounds like a derelict in Spanish no matter how good his Spanish is.

The English accent (American English) simply doesn't transfer well with anything in my opinion. I'm guessing same thing with German.

I think it's very well known than when it comes to being an unappealing language, German takes the cake by a light year or two.

To those of you in other countries...how is standard American English (not southern or east coast English) generally perceived in your country?

I really like the female American accent, especially the thick Texan one, I don't know why, just sounds really appealing. I can't speak for most people in England, but from experience, the American accent is well received over here.

Danish and Vietnamese are my tops for ugliest sounding languages.

Quote: (08-14-2013 12:27 AM)la_mode Wrote:  

I actually like English with a German accent. It sounds pretty cool.

Japan loves American English. Even better if you speak Japanese with a subtle American accent. People will think you are a complete badass. Though if you have a super heavy American accent when speaking Japanese, it becomes hard for them to not laugh at you.

The ugliest IMO is Boston accent English. When I hear it I want to stab someone in the face.

German language sounds too tough. It is ok for guys but it doesn't fit well with women IMO.

I think German language doesn't sound appealing because most people first heard it by watching Nazi related movies. That's what comes first to their mind, like german nazi officer yelling at prisoners.

I've never watched a movie where a guy is spitting game in a romantic way to get laid in German lol

Quote: (08-14-2013 03:42 PM)Sebastian Wrote:  

German language sounds too tough. It is ok for guys but it doesn't fit well with women IMO.

I think German language doesn't sound appealing because most people first heard it by watching Nazi related movies. That's what comes first to their mind, like german nazi officer yelling at prisoners.

I've never watched a movie where a guy is spitting game in a romantic way to get laid in German lol

Most romantic German came from around and before the time of Schiller and Goethe.

Wald

I'm not a huge fan of opera, but I listen to some and I don't mind German-language opera.

I always thought it was interesting that while Americans hear Arnold with a German/Austrian accent, supposedly Austrians think Arnold has an American accent. (He's been here almost 45 years, so some American English is gotta rub off.)

But when you listen to him speaking German, the cadence does sound like an American speaking German; more melodic pitch varience than usual rat-a-tat German too. (disclaimer: my German is pretty rough)

Which brings up a related topic: Why do some immigrants keep their accents and some do not?

The conventional wisdom is that those who come over before puberty lose the accent and those who come after do not. (There is probably plenty of cognitive science debate on this.)

One anecdote: Henry Kissinger was well in his teens when he came to the U.S. with his younger brother. His brother lost his German accent; Henry famously did not.

The biggest thing about his cadence that sounds American, or rather, more English than German, is his inclusion of "uh" as a filler word.

Quote: (08-14-2013 05:11 PM)Sombro Wrote:  

I always thought it was interesting that while Americans hear Arnold with a German/Austrian accent, supposedly Austrians think Arnold has an American accent. (He's been here almost 45 years, so some American English is gotta rub off.)

But when you listen to him speaking German, the cadence does sound like an American speaking German. (disclaimer: my German is pretty rough)

Which brings up a related topic: Why do some immigrants keep their accents and some do not?

The conventional wisdom is that those who come over before puberty lose the accent and those who come after do not. (There is probably plenty of cognitive science debate on this.)

One anecdote: Henry Kissinger was well in his teens when he came to the U.S. with his younger brother. His brother lost his German accent; Henry famously did not.

I think the American accent can translate well to other languages depending on how well you study and apply yourself. I took some acting classes and voice lessons in the past (not a great actor though) not to mention grew up hearing different languages like Vietnamese/Mandarin. I used to imitate relatives for fun as that helped with my inflection & the voice lessons I enrolled in taught me how to execute key pronunciations. These experiences assisted me in learning Spanish & Brazilian Portuguese quite well. Doing things like trying to impersonate close friends, family, or peers is actually a valuable hobby that can work wonders in learning a new language.

From ppl I know, my old peers that dedicated themselves to Brazilian Portuguese & German have developed strong fluency because of the many harsh distinctive sounds more favorable for higher retention levels. Spanish on the other hand is tougher to listen to as it's so smooth that it can be spoken at a much faster incomprehensible pace.

Btw, Vietnamese is a very ugly sounding language LOL.

Arnold is rumored to visit, or have visited, a voice coach to help retain his Austrian accent.

#NoSingleMoms
#NoHymenNoDiamond
#DontWantDaughters

My German is not that great but Arnold seems to just be absolutely killing it in German. In English a lot of people claim that he comes off as a rather slow witted guy but in German he seems very articulate. Obviously German is his mother tongue but I never imagined that the difference would be this stark, considering he has had ~30 years of learning/speaking English.

Arnold doesn't speak German like a German, he speaks German in an Austrian hick accent.

Furthermore, the only reason why Brits/Americans think German sounds bad is because of it's association with Hitler and the Nazis, nothing more. Languages like Danish, and for that matter, much of English, is extremely Germanic yet we place no negative connotations on those.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H L Mencken

Quote: (08-14-2013 01:08 AM)Walderschmidt Wrote:  

Why do you say it's well known that it isn't exactly appealing sounding? Who is it well known by?

I for one, like how German sounds. I've been learning it for seven years.I understand that my own example does not prove me correct by virtue of me being an exception.

But what about the Germans? They seem to like how their language sounds just fine.

Wald

I used to date a girl who's first language was German, and she doesn't like the way it sounds. She says, "it's not a nice language." She would say even when you're talking about nice things, it doesn't come off as warm as in other languages.

yeah it's all relative and often depends on what you associate with that accent.

Spanish with an american accent might sound ugly to you, but I bet it sounds exotic and appealing to many people in, say, Peru...

German has a way of sounding nice to me. IMO when Germans express a positive sentiment in German it has it's own kind of warmth - very clean, cosy and deliberate. I have that same sense when they express a positive sentiment in English too.

It's all in the "ear" of the beholder.

I like Asians with urbane Australian accents.

I got my degree in German. Fun language to learn, sounds appealing initially, but after using it as my primary language (I'm an expat) for several years it's pretty annoying hearing certain sounds.

What reeeeally gets under my skin - when Germans sing "happy birthday" in their accent... Haaauuppy Burrrrrsssday zuuuu yooooo.. Or when Germans make commercials - in English - spoken with a straight German accent.

The Red Bull Cola advertisement in German is nails on a chalkboard for me.

Accent is a matter of mouth/tongue muscles, which is why it's always best to learn a new language as early as possible. Arnold will never lose his accent.

Here's a cool page where you can check how English (and many other languages) sound when spoken by people from different countries: http://accent.gmu.edu/index.html

"To those of you in other countries...how is standard American English (not southern or east coast English) generally perceived in your country? "

I live in the northeast. New York and Boston have distinctive accents of their own. I live right in the middle of the two and we have our own accent with no distinctive traits of Boston or NY accents.

I've often wondered the same thing as the OP. I have also always been curious as to how we sound to the rest of this country. Can you pick out a Connecticut accent? To me, obviously, it just sounds normal.

When you're in another country speaking the language do our accents come through? For example, would someone in Colombia that is familiar with the U.S. be able to pinpoint where we are from if we are only speaking with them in Spanish?