rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Advice requested on how to order a suit for hot climates

So I want to make a suit. My Pakistani tailors barely speak English, so I can't ask them for advice. But the shirts they've made for me are excellent so I'm willing to trust them to make a suit, besides their prices have been reasonable so far

However, I will need to tell them exactly what style and what fabric to use.

Now, where I live, for most of the year it is damn hot, with only 4 weeks or so in the year when it is cold enough to wear a standard off-the-rack wool suit comfortably.

So for most of the year I will need a light, breathable fabric.

For convenience and for health reasons, I would also prefer a machine washable suit.

So I'm thinking the best option for me is to get a linen suit. I believe linen suits are machine washable.

Does anyone on the forum have advice to give on this? What specifics should I give my tailor?

Something a lot of people overlook are suits in cotton.I'm wearing one right now in 75 fahr and it's quite pleasant. The better brands all have some lines in hi-quality cotton. The upside over linen is that they will still do you well in the spring and autumn.

Quote: (07-15-2013 09:46 AM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

For convenience and for health reasons, I would also prefer a machine washable suit.

So I'm thinking the best option for me is to get a linen suit. I believe linen suits are machine washable.

I wouldn't do this.

Quote:Quote:

Something a lot of people overlook are suits in cotton.I'm wearing one right now in 75 fahr and it's quite pleasant. The better brands all have some lines in hi-quality cotton. The upside over linen is that they will still do you well in the spring and autumn.

Yes. Make sure to tell them to only partial line the jacket. Summer weight cotton.

And if you have health reasons for not dry cleaning, find a place that does a no chemical cleaning. They are around, and more are popping up each day.

You dont want to wash your own suit at home.

Lightweight Fabrics.

Half-lined.

Quote: (07-15-2013 10:24 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Quote: (07-15-2013 09:46 AM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

I wouldn't do this.

The linen part or the machine washable part? Or both?

Quote: (07-15-2013 10:04 AM)Vicious Wrote:  

The temperature in my city goes up to 30 celsius (86 fahr) and even higher in mid-summer, will cotton still work well at that temperature?

Quote: (07-15-2013 11:10 PM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

The temperature in my city goes up to 30 celsius (86 fahr) and even higher in mid-summer, will cotton still work well at that temperature?

Yes, absolutely.

However, don't just think cotton.

Consider a specific weave. Seersucker, if they have it in a variety of colours, is a very good type of fabric weave to consider. Its usually (always?) cotton, but its weave creates little bunches of fabric, which helps to hold the cloth away from your skin, which is much cooler.

Remember, linen and many cottons (especially seersucker) are casual ONLY options. If you need a suit for business/non-casual environments, you'll have to have a smooth, professional looking cotton or tropic weight wool.

And yes, go have lined and no lining in the pants.

I'm the King of Beijing!

[Image: tumblr_ml8zdpW1lC1r4lvuuo1_500.jpg]