rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Living on a Boat as Your Only Home

There was an article in the Washington Post today about how some people just live on a boat as their only home. Anybody here do this, done this, or contemplating doing this?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/...ml?hpid=z6

Seems like an interesting lifestyle that might have many advantages.

I've thought about doing this since i live on the ocean anyway. Don't know much about handling a larger boat though but I'm sure I could learn.

Seems like it would be impressive as hell to girls; you would come across as an adventurous independent guy and a lot of girls like to fuck on boats

Would be so easy to get her back to your place "Want to see my boat?"

"If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there!- Captain Ron

I think I'd make a pretty good Captain Ron.

It's a lot of work to keep clean. I have a 40ft Chris craft for sale that was sunk and needs repower. Perfect live aboard with some work..Cheap!

[attachment=13054]

I love this idea. My ideal lifestyle would be one where I am most of the time away from home and always doing something anyways.

Having a small, comfortable pad as a boat would be amazing.

Quote: (07-02-2013 01:37 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

with some work..

Seems legit

How did it sink in the first place?

I know a girl whose rich Dad built her something like this...

[Image: d1026ce145becbc55714ec2672a43af8_1.jpg]

P.S. I'm not exaggerating here

Quote: (07-02-2013 01:43 PM)Architekt Wrote:  

with some work..

Seems legit

How did it sink in the first place?
Rain and bilge wasn't working right at the dock. That's how most of them sink. It didn't go all the way down though.

It belonged to some guy who lives in Poland and was given to me to liquidate.

I've given this some serious consideration as buying a house in a decnet area in England is riduculously expensive. The problem is if you want to live anywhere near a city you'll have to go on a massive waiting list. Its a piece of piss to do it out in the sticks but not exactly good for logistics. So a non starter for me as a single man.

Gob Bluth did it.

[Image: 500px-1x10_Pier_Pressure_(45).png]

I can't have sex with your personality, and I can't put my penis in your college degree, and I can't shove my fist in your childhood dreams, so why are you sharing all this information with me?

Quote: (07-02-2013 01:54 PM)lush1 Wrote:  

I've given this some serious consideration as buying a house in a decnet area in England is riduculously expensive. The problem is if you want to live anywhere near a city you'll have to go on a massive waiting list. Its a piece of piss to do it out in the sticks but not exactly good for logistics. So a non starter for me as a single man.
People here just park them in the water FREE and take a dinghy to shore.

We have an entire community of semi homeless boat dwellers here. This one dude lives in a 20ft sail boat with a Rottwieler and no ac. It's gross. Free but gross...

Here's the payday for FL guys...

Buy a livable boat hull don't worry about the engines and after the inside looks nice sell it in the keys for top dollar. Rent is high there and people live on these things full time. An old house boat is worth 10X than here in Tampa. You need to make a bracket and put an outboard on the back for transport...If you have the balls to do it. $$$

[attachment=13055]
45 ft boat. 1968. solid mahogany and oak. no rot, no termites. 10k in with a bottom paint on

this is what I want to fix it up to look like.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/p...id=2514118

but mostly it will be out to rent it in the marina

El Mech, thanks for the tip on keys. I may just do a little investigation on feasibilities of that..

Quote: (07-02-2013 02:00 PM)Soma Wrote:  

Gob Bluth did it.

There's always money in the banana stand.

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

It's a lot of work to keep clean. I have a 40ft Chris craft for sale that was sunk and needs repower. Perfect live aboard with some work..Cheap!

I read somewhere that you can walk along the western coast of Florida and find thousands of abandoned boats that can be rehabbed. Would you just have to place a salvage lien if you found one worth having?

I have looked in to this in California. You get a decent houseboat or trawler and slip fees in Marina Del Rey are only about $300 a month plus the cost of utility hookups. The cheapest apartments on the water there are $2500+.

Most the time they're not worth restoring and the coast is not littered with boats. You can buy them though from marinas that put liens on them. They're so cheap here anyway.

About wood boats.. A complete avoid unless you have a fetish for wood boats. Think lake tahoe.

Once you start doing this you'll learn quick and big sailboats are the cheapest route with the most living area. I get offered them all the time but it's really cheaper in the long run to buy something mint if you don't have the cash it's a bit of work.

Mech, you are advising buying a boat and flipping it with a minimal amount of fix up?

How much would a guy need to start with?

You want to know the only thing you can assume about a broken down old man? It's that he's a survivor.

Is it safe to live in a boat? I guess it is not so difficult for a thief to break into one [Image: confused.gif]

"Go be fat on someone else's time."

Quote: (07-02-2013 10:04 PM)Sailor Wrote:  

Is it safe to live in a boat? I guess it is not so difficult for a thief to break into one [Image: confused.gif]

With your moniker, shouldn't you be telling us?

Had a guy I met at the boat launch on the way back from fishing named, "River Bill." He claimed he had sailed all the way from Maine to the Gulf Coast with just him and his dog. He lives entirely on the water. He said that he gets sick of seafood, so we got him some pork chops. I haven't seen him since. This was in the early 2000s. I wonder if he's still afloat or alive for that matter.

-

http://www.inc.com/magazine/201207/leigh...aster.html

Same deal but for Silicon Valley.

This one is inspirational.

-

Quote: (07-02-2013 03:54 PM)bhawthorne Wrote:  

Quote: (07-02-2013 02:00 PM)Soma Wrote:  

Gob Bluth did it.

There's always money in the banana stand.

So we have a deal?

I know I posted in this thread already but I was thinking about building a miniature house-trailer for like ten thousand dollars or something. Literally just big enough for a computer, a bed, and a refrigerator with a stove.

Just like this - you can buy plans here too!
http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/
That's a pretty good alternative to homelessness in my opinion.

I would build it nondescript looking though. An actual miniature house on wheels is too gaudy in my opinion. It would be just big enough to bring one and hopefully two chicks back to bang. This thing would be sweet on job sites that were out of state.

I've done tons of research on the sailboat option over the last 5 or so years.

Sailboats require a lot of maintenance. Recently, I've been trying to think of an affordable solution that can travel the world, survive any storm, be sailed by an idiot, requires very little maintenance and still looks classy enough to bang chicks inside.

I'm the King of Beijing!

I thought about getting one for retirement. Im talking 100 ft+.

Hang out in SE asia cruising all over the damn place. Offset your costs some by offering it as a charter/party boat/renting rooms.

Kind of like a biz/retirement. A budget around 150k is enough, 200k can get you into something real nice.

Would sure as hell beat living in suburbian America in a 150k house.

God'll prolly have me on some real strict shit
No sleeping all day, no getting my dick licked

The Original Emotional Alpha