rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Health and Fitness as Travel

I feel like a lot of people believe that one must trade fitness and health for travel. I disagree. In terms of the conventional 15 day crammed vacation in Europe, yes, it is impossible. However, since more of us are long term travelers, it is entirely possible to design our travels for fitness.

As many of you know, in June I did a muay thai camp for one month in Phuket.

It turns out that I am going to have a location independent job after I finish this Seoul job in December. Since I will be based in SE Asia, it will be entirely possible to finally break that barrier and reach superhuman fitness (or at least see my abs).

I'll be spending most of my time between various East Asian cities (mostly SE Asian). In each of these cities I will have an intense physical exercise that I will be consistently doing, combined with hiring a full time maid/cook to keep my place clean and cooking me bodybuilding-type meals at very specific times.

Thailand: I will live in the muay thai camps, which will also save me money. When you are doing muay thai full time, you arguably do not have to be too careful about your diet - I was drinking all the time and was still losing fat like crazy.

Cambodia: I'll do the Cambodian equivalent of muay thai, pradal serey.

Philippines/Singapore: Bikram Yoga, to heal all of my muay thai wounds and detox my body of all the crap/pollution I've ingested in Asia

Vietnam/Hong Kong: good ol' running and weight lifting

By watching my diet and continuously mixing up the types of activities I do, I will stay in shape.

My typical day could look like this:

7: Wake up, L Carnitine and Green Tea
7-9: Muay Thai training on an empty stomach
9: Meal 1 and nap
10-1 Work
1-1:30 Meal 2
1:30-3 Work
-Pre training energy supplement and L Carnitine
3-5: Muay Thai session 2
5-6: Nap
6: Meal 3
7-10 Work
10: Meal 4 (protein shake) and bed by 11

I personally work better in 2-3 hour spurts throughout the day, with periodic naps. Given the work I will do, I can outsource a large part of it to virtual assistants and then personally take care of the rest.

Here are some other ideas of ways to combine travel with health and fitness:

Australia/Indonesia/Hawaii/South Africa: Surfing
India/Thailand: Yoga Retreat
Russia: Sambo
Israel: Krav Maga
Brazil: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu or Capoeira
China: Kung Fu in the Yantai mountains, UNESCO heritage site
Mexico: Run/Jump/Swim across the border and back

Feel free to add other suggestions for health and fitness focused traveling.

Do you just want to become bigger (muscles) or just improve your cardio?

If you want to get bigger, you should definitely eat more.

YMG,

Sounds like you're really finding your groove with the independent lifestyle thing. Guys in their 40's will envy you.

It sounds like you're pretty dedicated to getting into peak shape. To me, it sounds obsessive to work out 4 hours per day just to see your abs. It's also very hard to maintain that kind of grueling regime over the long-term. Have a six-pack is a confidence boost, sure, but you can get that other ways too. I'd prefer to work out 2 hours/day and build another skillset the other 2 hours.

I don't know what everyone has with abs though, working your whole body is much better.

That muay thai thing I posted was an example. Keep in mind that some months of the year I'm going to be in Manila/Singapore, doing yoga and increasing my flexibility. Then some months I"ll be in a city that lacks both yoga and muay thai and I"ll be doing traditional weight lifting. By keeping my workout varied, I'll keep my body guessing.

Abs are always a plus, never a necessity. If you're gaming the beaches of Europe in the summer, they'll be a huge asset in helping you swoop the hottest chicks that have 20 guys chasing them daily. Otherwise, it's a lot harder to justify their cost -- in terms of diet and time spent exercising.

That being said, you can still get great definition/leanness just by getting on one of the many high protein diets out there. Once you get to around 10%-12% body fat, though, the marginal utility of leaning down further decreases sharply.

How much muscle are you looking to gain? I'm still looking for that sweet spot. According to a recent study I heard about, guys overestimate the amount of muscle deemed sexy to women by 20-30 pounds.

Do you want to look like this guy:

[Image: Rob_G.jpg]

Quote: (08-24-2010 09:41 PM)mangadooza Wrote:  

Abs are always a plus, never a necessity. If you're gaming the beaches of Europe in the summer, they'll be a huge asset in helping you swoop the hottest chicks that have 20 guys chasing them daily. Otherwise, it's a lot harder to justify their cost -- in terms of diet and time spent exercising.

That being said, you can still get great definition/leanness just by getting on one of the many high protein diets out there. Once you get to around 10%-12% body fat, though, the marginal utility of leaning down further decreases sharply.

How much muscle are you looking to gain? I'm still looking for that sweet spot. According to a recent study I heard about, guys overestimate the amount of muscle deemed sexy to women by 20-30 pounds.

lol@badstuber

To be honest I am woefully unaware of the best type of body fat percentage or how to successfully engineer my diet to reach optimum leanness. And yes, it is true that the muay thai regimen I was on was grueling and very time consuming.

I'm currently 5'9, 185 pounds, I believe around 18-20 percent body fat.

I'd like to hover around 10 percent, or the lowest percent possible without having to obsess about number of grams of protein/fat/carbs in every meal I have.

To see your abs I believe you have to hit under 10%, but it depends on your body type. I'm around 15% and can kind of see them, but the key for abs is diet and genetics more than exercise. It's too much sacrifice to get a six pack for some guys.

As a side note, Tim Ferriss -- a guy that appears to be highly respected around these parts -- is coming out with a book on fitness soon. After reading his blog post on "gaining 30 pounds of muscle in 28 days," I'm skeptical. But he did mention there'd be a section on sex,so it should be good for at least a useful tidbit or two.

double post

Quote: (08-25-2010 12:33 AM)mangadooza Wrote:  

As a side note, Tim Ferriss -- a guy that appears to be highly respected around these parts -- is coming out with a book on fitness soon. After reading his blog post on "gaining 30 pounds of muscle in 28 days," I'm skeptical. But he did mention there'd be a section on sex,so it should be good for at least a useful tidbit or two.

I definitely want to check this book out, I've heard about it. It's called 'superhuman' or something like that, right?

Most of what Tim says is hype, but if you water down his hype usually he at least makes a solid point. 4HWW is a good example of this - working 4 hours only is pretty unrealistic for most people, but the idea is that once you free up your location and source of income, anything is possible.

Do you know when it's coming out?

It's impossible.

Quote: (08-25-2010 07:15 PM)youngmobileglobal Wrote:  

I definitely want to check this book out, I've heard about it. It's called 'superhuman' or something like that, right?

Most of what Tim says is hype, but if you water down his hype usually he at least makes a solid point. 4HWW is a good example of this - working 4 hours only is pretty unrealistic for most people, but the idea is that once you free up your location and source of income, anything is possible.

He says it's called "Becoming Superhuman", but watch I bet it's going to be called something else. I think it's due out in November. Should be good but if he continues to claim that he gained 30lbs of muscle in a month then I won't believe much of anything else in that book.

YMG, just remember like a few of us told you in your muay thai posting, you need to eat more protein to gain more muscle and you should eat something in the morning before your work outs, it helps kick start your metabolism, gives you energy for your work outs and can stabalize your insulin levels. Eat oatmeal for example.

If I get together with some of the other guys on here in BKK I am hoping to do P90x over the next 3 months, even better if you do with some friends to help push you harder.

As for building all that muscle, it is possible, look up the colorado experiment.....

Hey CLR,

I was thinking of a good workout solution for my constant traveling and PX90 came into my mind.

I hear it's really good as a portable and intense workout that one can do in the comfort of his own hotel room.

You live in Bangkok? I will be moving to Southeast Asia full time starting around February, we should link up. How long do you plan to be around?

personally, I say aim to have a flat belly rather than a 6 abs which is too much work for not much return. what matters more is to have a V shaped torso and strong legs and arms. so work lots on your back, shoulders and chest.
Btw capoeira is a lot of fun and an excellent work out, most capoerista look in great shape.

Quote: (08-30-2010 03:40 PM)metalhaze Wrote:  

personally, I say aim to have a flat belly rather than a 6 abs which is too much work for not much return. what matters more is to have a V shaped torso and strong legs and arms. so work lots on your back, shoulders and chest.
Btw capoeira is a lot of fun and an excellent work out, most capoerista look in great shape.

Work on your entire body instead.

Quote: (08-25-2010 10:48 PM)gringoed Wrote:  

Quote: (08-25-2010 07:15 PM)youngmobileglobal Wrote:  

He says it's called "Becoming Superhuman", but watch I bet it's going to be called something else. I think it's due out in November. Should be good but if he continues to claim that he gained 30lbs of muscle in a month then I won't believe much of anything else in that book.

You cant even gain 30 pounds of muscle on steroids in a month . ( if you did , its all water and you will lose it anyways ) Gaining 5 - 10 pounds a year in your prime is a amazing achievement in it self.

In before a bunch of 120 pounders talk about about how they gained 40 pounds in a month [Image: dodgy.gif]

I know a lot of people who travel a lot, whether for fun or for business.

They all seem to have the same thing in common: many either lose a lot of muscle mass and become skinny fat or gain a lot of fat and become tubby.

I've seen the same thing happen to me as I travel.

Does anybody think there would be value in a blog/site/community geared towards people who want to stay healthy and fit but need to get onto a plane at least one a month?

Since I've been dealing with this issue personally I think there have got to be other people who are facing a similar problem.

just re read this and Gringoed, I think a thing you are missing is he is building a skill set, its definitely not just about working out its also obviously about martial arts, and that is a great skill set you will have for the rest of your life, and can assist you in more then just defending yourself. From the spiritual aspect to merely the awareness of your body and coordination that come with practice.

YMG, I know I have lost a bit of muscle and gained a slight belly. I can tell you when I was traveling for work and the company was paying for me to stay in hotels it was cool, I worked out at the hotel gyms and stayed in shape while on the road. On my own I am cheaper and opt for lower cost places that end up not having gyms. The only thing that has kept me from getting tubby is I TRY to eat well (despite the drinking) and am often in places like Costa Rica where I am climbing up and down mountains to walk anywhere.

Tim Ferriss' new book unveiled:

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/201...#more-3199

The part about female orgasms will be interesting...

I'm a runner, traveling and running go together perfectly. All you need is a pair of sneakers! Which most people carry anyway.

Hear hear to DMan.

Also, I think YMG program sounds incredibly awesome and offers breadth and depth on a good scale.

But - if you're on the go, living in and out of hostels, stick to some few basic exercises to turn the floor next to your bed into a work-out station. You can do a cyclical work-out in your underwear. If you are near a sandy beach, run in the sand - jog far and slow, or do sprints for 5 minutes. Running in sand is incredibly efficient way to work out, and is not at all hard on your joints, so it beats sneakers and pavement any day of the week.

Working out in your room, two chairs and you can do this push-up circuit that is damn hard.

10x std push-ups
10x incline push-ups. Using two chairs, place your hands on the seats, perform the push-up at an incline by dipping your chest between the chairs. Dip as far as you dare.
10x decline push-ups. Using a single chair, place your feet on the seat, rest your hands on the floor, and perform the push-up at a decline.
10x diamond push-ups. Placing hands directly adjacent under chest, perform the push-up and feel the work-out focus on your triceps.

That will work your chest hard. Other exercises you can do to train your core are flutter-kicks, leg-extensions, jack-knives. Google it.

And pull-ups/chin-ups, the former best for back and the v-shape. Biceps are total vanity muscles, but you can give 'em a decent work-out using chin-ups.

For quads and glutes, stand at the bottom of stair-case, do an air-squat, then from squat postiion jump up and forwards as many steps as you can manage. 3 sets of 10 reps. You can feel that shit afterwards, for sure.

For hamstrings, tuck your feet under the bed-frame, and rest on your knees, letting your body drop forward before using your hamstrings to pull it back up. That's probably 150 lbs for most of us, and doing just one is near impossible, but give it a try.

Shoulders get their work-out from the push-up circuit, but a couple of half-gallon waterbottles will serve. Lie on your stomach, one full bottle in each hand, palms facing up, and use your shoulders to lift your arms. 20 reps, and let your arms fall slowly to the ground. Get that static shit in there.

Last summer I was traveling for a month, I stuck to a program much like above combined with running, and doing everyday I got in awesome shape.

Thanks for the tips Rumguzzler. If you have before and after pictures of your hotel gym-less workout program, I bet you could bang out an ebook about it.

Does anyone else here think there is money to be made in the travel+health/fitness niche? This is something I"ve been looking into a lot recently. Taking a vacation with a purpose, whether it's physical, mental, spiritual....although for revenue purposes the physical would probably make the most sense.