rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How to travel around the world for a year

Found this article in hacker news today, interesting read

http://blog.alexmaccaw.com/how-to-travel...or-a-year/

Some good advice, but mostly yuppie travel bullshit.

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

1 - have money or earn it as you go
2 - book flights

Nah that article isn't a bad overview actually.

Quote: (06-22-2013 02:53 AM)RichieP Wrote:  

2 - book flights

It takes a while to earn money to travel like that unless u got a high-paying job.

Quote: (06-22-2013 04:50 AM)avantgarde Wrote:  

2 - book flights

It takes a while to earn money to travel like that unless u got a high-paying job.

Agreed. Like he says though, $15k for the whole year, and he had a blast. Pretty reasonable.

You can get a companion pass for about 3k and fly standby for the whole year. Or smash a delta employee and have her put you on.

The cycle of disrespect can start with just an appetizer.

Quote: (06-22-2013 05:27 AM)RichieP Wrote:  

2 - book flights

Agreed. Like he says though, $15k for the whole year, and he had a blast. Pretty reasonable.

15K + 7K for the round the world ticket makes 22 K which is a lot. Anyone can travel on that money.

For me a round the world ticket disqualifies you from being a round the world traveler. You're just taking airplanes to reach your destinations. There probably taking a taxi from the airport to their hotel too.

How hard is that?

Take local buses, trains and boats/ferries and sit local people,chickens and goats if you want to brag.

Book - Around the World in 80 Girls - The Epic 3 Year Trip of a Backpacking Casanova

My new book Famles - Fables and Fairytales for Men is out now on Amazon.

Quote: (06-22-2013 08:53 AM)Neil Skywalker Wrote:  

15K + 7K for the round the world ticket makes 22 K which is a lot. Anyone can travel on that money.

For me a round the world ticket disqualifies you from being a round the world traveler. You're just taking airplanes to reach your destinations. There probably taking a taxi from the airport to their hotel too.

How hard is that?

Take local buses, trains and boats/ferries and sit local people,chickens and goats if you want to brag.

I disagree. There are no rules about how you should travel. You like to do it on a budget and do the local bus thing and that's cool but your way is no more valid than doing it in a private jet and staying in the Peninsular or the Raffles. It's just different. After all how did you get to South America? I'm guessing by air plane in which case by your reasoning you're not a real RTW traveller in comparison to someone who did the journey by boat.

Secondly you said that anyone could travel for a year on $15000. That is just under $300 a week. I could not do that. I spend $100 a day on drinks and food alone. My budget is about $1000 a week and I'm not even that extravagant.

2 - book flights

"So the net cost for the trip was about $22k. I paid for the vast majority of this with one month’s consultancy beforehand"

Average *yearly* salary for an American is 50K.

WIA

Quote: (06-22-2013 09:16 AM)Vorkuta Wrote:  

How hard is that?

I disagree. There are no rules about how you should travel. You like to do it on a budget and do the local bus thing and that's cool but your way is no more valid than doing it in a private jet and staying in the Peninsular or the Raffles. It's just different. After all how did you get to South America? I'm guessing by air plane in which case by your reasoning you're not a real RTW traveller in comparison to someone who did the journey by boat.

Secondly you said that anyone could travel for a year on $15000. That is just under $300 a week. I could not do that. I spend $100 a day on drinks and food alone. My budget is about $1000 a week and I'm not even that extravagant.

Ok, I might have to refrase that to adventure traveler/backpacker. I keep forgetting how short the vacations are in America, something Menace reminded me off a few days ago.

Of course when you have only 2 or 3 weeks of holiday a year it's understandable to drop a lot of cash but how many people are there who travel a year with a 1000 a week? That's 52K a year. You would need some serious income to do this.

Book - Around the World in 80 Girls - The Epic 3 Year Trip of a Backpacking Casanova

During my seven month trip in SE Asia, which is apparently one of the cheapest destinations in the world to travel, I blew about 30 Gs, YOLO!

How hard is that?

1000$ a week on drinks and food? I wonder what type of food you eat every week and how much you drink, also what city are you based? That is a lot of money, even in NY that would be a lot of money just for drinks and food. You must be swimming on money.

Quote: (06-22-2013 10:13 AM)pitt Wrote:  

How hard is that?

1000$ a week on drinks and food? I wonder what type of food you eat every week and how much you drink, also what city are you based? That is a lot of money, even in NY that would be a lot of money just for drinks and food. You must be swimming on money.

$1000 a week for everything i.e transport and hotels etc. That is still under 100 GBPounds a day. Shit in Moscow I was spending from 300 GBP a day. I was paying $100 just for sushi dates there. Take two girls out a day and hit a club and your wallet will soon run dry. Even in backwaters costs add up.

Quote: (06-22-2013 09:17 AM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

2 - book flights

"So the net cost for the trip was about $22k. I paid for the vast majority of this with one month’s consultancy beforehand"

WIA

So what's your point? He paid too much, or that it's out of reach for most people?

Quote: (06-22-2013 09:58 AM)Neil Skywalker Wrote:  

Of course when you have only 2 or 3 weeks of holiday a year it's understandable to drop a lot of cash but how many people are there who travel a year with a 1000 a week? That's 52K a year. You would need some serious income to do this.

Yes absolutely Neil. My trips usually last a week so a grand for a week is affordable to me. If I did a long trip then I'd have to find ways of lower my costs because I don't have 20 or 30 grand to spend.

Not to nitpick with you but you said you're way is the way of the 'adventure traveller' and I agree however I'd say that flying around the world in a private jet, staying in the world's best hotels, hitting the best clubs etc. would also be an epic adventure and hence you could say those moneyed types are adventure travellers too. What will be interesting Neil will be if ( fingers crossed for you bro ) your Hollywood dream works out and you make some big $$$ how your travel style will be affected. Would you still go local buses and hostels or start upgrading? I expect you to answer that you'd still do the Neil Skywalker way of doing things however I suspect you might enjoy the luxury more than you think.

Quote: (06-22-2013 11:22 AM)RichieP Wrote:  

2 - book flights

WIA

So what's your point? He paid too much, or that it's out of reach for most people?

You said it was reasonable and quoted the wrong #.

I'm saying it's actually pretty expensive and out of reach for most Americans in the jobs they work.
- most don't make that kind of money
- most don't have location independent jobs

Doesn't mean it's not doable.
People can save.
They can learn to code.
They can learn to land big consultancy jobs.

It's unreasonable.

WIA

Quote: (06-22-2013 11:57 AM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

Quote: (06-22-2013 11:22 AM)RichieP Wrote:  

WIA

You said it was reasonable and quoted the wrong #.

I'm saying it's actually pretty expensive and out of reach for most Americans in the jobs they work.
- most don't make that kind of money
- most don't have location independent jobs

Doesn't mean it's not doable.
People can save.
They can learn to code.
They can learn to land big consultancy jobs.

It's unreasonable.

WIA

Well, to me the pricing is "reasonable" in that you're getting a year of awesomeness for less that the cost of living for a year trundling along with mundane life in your home country.

Whether you have the willpower and determination to actually save that cash together is another issue. Most people who want it enough seem to make it happen though.

G Manifesto and Neil Skywalker are like polar opposites. I would love to film a reality series with these two traveling together.

Every country has rich people- Cambodia, Laos, Burma, etc. Rich people living in 3rd world countries aren't getting from place to place on local chicken buses.

Not that there's anything wrong with traveling on an extreme budget (I've done it before in SEA- paid USD $1.25/night for a guesthouse in Laos and traveled on overnight 3rd class seats on trains in Thailand), but I'd much rather travel like the rich people living in these countries.

I think you'd have way more bragging rights if you can afford to travel the world NOT on a budget, and took jets and taxis from place to place. You'd probably pull better looking ass too.

Quote: (06-22-2013 04:22 PM)travolta Wrote:  

Every country has rich people- Cambodia, Laos, Burma, etc. Rich people living in 3rd world countries aren't getting from place to place on local chicken buses.

Not that there's anything wrong with traveling on an extreme budget (I've done it before in SEA- paid USD $1.25/night for a guesthouse in Laos and traveled on overnight 3rd class seats on trains in Thailand), but I'd much rather travel like the rich people living in these countries.

I think you'd have way more bragging rights if you can afford to travel the world NOT on a budget, and took jets and taxis from place to place. You'd probably pull better looking ass too.

Yeah, but then you're not a real player. Only real players pick up on 10 hour bus drives without showering for weeks.

Backpackers like to hate on those that have the money to travel the way they want. Rolling broke doesn't make you special. It just means they don't have the skills or gumption to make money. Sad really.

Backslackers don't bother me though. They are huddled in the hostels and shitty bars that offer specials. The rest of us will be on respectable airlines, staying in apartments, and chilling in better drinking establishments that attract women who shower and shave.

Quote: (06-22-2013 04:57 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

Backpackers like to hate on those that have the money to travel the way they want. Rolling broke doesn't make you special. It just means they don't have the skills or gumption to make money. Sad really.

Backslackers don't bother me though. They are huddled in the hostels and shitty bars that offer specials. The rest of us will be on respectable airlines, staying in apartments, and chilling in better drinking establishments that attract women who shower and shave.

I think the backpacker low-budget way definitely makes for more interesting life stories. I've done the backpacker thing as well as stayed in nice hotels. They both have their advantages, but the stories you get from slumming it in shithole shacks in Bolivia are way more interesting to recant to people than your week at the W hotel.

Quote: (06-22-2013 05:00 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

Quote: (06-22-2013 04:57 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

I think the backpacker low-budget way definitely makes for more interesting life stories. I've done the backpacker thing as well as stayed in nice hotels. They both have their advantages, but the stories you get from slumming it in shithole shacks in Bolivia are way more interesting to recant to people than your week at the W hotel.

Reading backslacker stories is about as exciting as watching cripple kids play soccer.

Quote: (06-22-2013 11:37 AM)Vorkuta Wrote:  

Quote: (06-22-2013 09:58 AM)Neil Skywalker Wrote:  

Yes absolutely Neil. My trips usually last a week so a grand for a week is affordable to me. If I did a long trip then I'd have to find ways of lower my costs because I don't have 20 or 30 grand to spend.

Not to nitpick with you but you said you're way is the way of the 'adventure traveller' and I agree however I'd say that flying around the world in a private jet, staying in the world's best hotels, hitting the best clubs etc. would also be an epic adventure and hence you could say those moneyed types are adventure travellers too. What will be interesting Neil will be if ( fingers crossed for you bro ) your Hollywood dream works out and you make some big $$$ how your travel style will be affected. Would you still go local buses and hostels or start upgrading? I expect you to answer that you'd still do the Neil Skywalker way of doing things however I suspect you might enjoy the luxury more than you think.

Yeah, um eh you're quite right. I tend to see the world only from my viewpoint and since I never was willing to spend serious money to travel (or wanted for that matter since there were times I had plenty of dough) it's quite hard to imagine what's like to throw cash around while traveling.

I thought about a big cash scenario and you're right. I would spend more while traveling but never those amounts of money you guys are talking about.

My type of math: earn 500K, hide it away from the tax man and try to spread it across countries where I can get about 6% interest (minimum). That's 30K a year and 2500 $ a month. That's would be my travel budget. Once I stop traveling I still have plenty of cash left. A higher interest rate or a safe investment would be better of course.

That's quite a lot in some countries and I would upgrade in style a bit (hotels,apartments) but throwing money around? No.

I would opt for the Roosh style of traveling. A month here, a month there. Would probably still take a local bus between cities depending on the travel time. I like to hang around locals.

I'm not the type of guy to go crazy when I suddenly have money. When I sold my house I had a cool 50 K in the bank. Barely touched the first year. Bought a 8000$ car. Put some nice wheels on it That's it.

I just want to make sure I never have to work for a boss again and that i'm not money dependent on one. Ever. Some call it lazyness, other call it freedom to design your own life.

Quote: (06-22-2013 04:22 PM)travolta Wrote:  

I woun't argue with that. No doubt in my mind that it's A LOT easier to pull girls on a bigger budget. Money has always been my own biggest cockblock.

Just the fact that some one can have his own (luxury) hotel room in a city and can carelessly spend money on taxis and drinks means he has WAY more chance of pulling ass. There's no comparison to it. My first worries are always where to bring a girl if I'm in a hostel and how to budget my drinks and transport. In an expensive town I sometimes have to skip going out because I can't afford a 25$ dollar ride back home.

I have to game a lot harder to pull compared to a guy with cash to spend. Girls are more drawn to a guy with money (for all kinds of reasons)

My identical twin with money but less game can some more ass then me just because his opportunities are better.

Not aiming to start up the money vs game debate though.