rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Airbnb Now Illegal in NYC

[Image: ku-xlarge.jpg]

Quote:Quote:

The world's most popular room-renting service is now illegal in the largest city in the United States, CNET reports. This could be a setback.

The sublease startup, which is largely enjoyed but occasionally disastrous, is now out of New York—pending appeal—for violating the city's "hotel law."(Read the full court decision below) You see, you can't run a hotel out of your apartment (even a very shabby one in a cramped studio apartment) for the same reason you can't pretend your car is a taxi and let people pay you for rides, sans license. Obviously the Silicon Valley disruption set doesn't care much for either of these notions, and Airbnb hasn't paid that law any attention. Now it'll have to—and it should, given how useful the service is (so long as it doesn't result in your apartment being destroyed without recourse) in a city where it can be a colossal nightmare to find an affordable bed.

Link

Wow. I always wondered about this.

I could see this happening in more places as well.

This is bad short-term news for airbnb. Other cities might follow suit and they could be facing some lawsuits.

In the long run though "disruption" is here to stay. In the long term cities will be as effective in limiting these kind of rentals as the music industry was in limiting online music sharing and sales.

I see those god damn commies in New York City aren't content with just outlawing big sodas.

This suuuuuucks.

With airbnb you could always bullshit girls in NYC into believing that you live in the area or just moved to the area; whereas with a hotel, there is no denying you don't really live in the area when you visit.

A law that cannot be enforced is not a good law.

Quote: (05-21-2013 01:48 PM)Hobnob Wrote:  

Oh, but it can. All the authorities in NYC have to do is search Airbnb for listings in NYC, and contact Airbnb to remove them or face sanctions.

Fucking cunts, that's all i have to say. Bloomberg, choke on a dick.

How can it NOT be enforced? Can't they force airbnb to disallowe NYC searches/transactions? Then people will be stuck with craigslist listing or something. Sure it will still happen, but it won't be anywhere near as convenient as it previously was using airbnb.

This is would be like shutting down RVF in NYC. Sure, you can try to use other, second-rate forums, but you it won't be the same. [Image: undecided.gif]

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

I've been following this closely since I consider Airbnb to be were the future of game is at. Hotel lobbyists have been leaning HEAVY in Albany on this. Airbnb also sent lobyists but compared to the Hotel industry they are small fry.

You'd think that NY which is such a progressive state would put its foot down in this kind of matter but I guess we shouldn't be surprised that the almighty dollar rules.

Still, the legalese comments I'm reading are focusing on how the law is indefensible.

Wow. I was planning on using this too... who the hell wants to pay for overpriced hotels? This is retarded.

I can tell there's a lot of lobbying behind this.

Why can't they just tax through the site?

Reason No. 2783 why New York sucks in real life.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

There's no way NYC would resist on missing out on Hotel Tax $$$$

I expect to see this ban spread to many other American cities.

Contributor at Return of Kings.  I got banned from twatter, which is run by little bitches and weaklings. You can follow me on Gab.

Be sure to check out the easiest mining program around, FreedomXMR.

Quote: (05-21-2013 01:53 PM)Brodiaga Wrote:  

Fucking cunts, that's all i have to say. Bloomberg, choke on a dick.

Exactly. That dude is a dictator.

Quote: (05-21-2013 01:52 PM)The Texas Prophet Wrote:  

Oh, but it can. All the authorities in NYC have to do is search Airbnb for listings in NYC, and contact Airbnb to remove them or face sanctions.

And all the record labels need to do to stop pirating is search their bands and contact the torrent sites to remove them or face sanctions.

Same with the movie studios, television networks, and book publishers.

Or, airbnb can move their servers somewhere that doesn't give a fuck about sanctions and they continue on same as before.

To use an analogy from game, it sounds Airbnb didn't get the venue locked down.

It's like going into a club and not overtipping the bartenders or greasing whoever you have to grease to make sure the coast is clear for your game.

I'd be curious to know if they didn't offer a kickback to the established party on this topic.

Oversea server + Bitcoin = Profit $$$

Business idea in the making guys... anyone down?

Idk about price savings, but Oakwood seems like a decent alternative.

http://www.oakwood.com/

Similar to execustay and other corporate housing. About $250-$300/day for 1 bdrm in NYC. 31 Day minimum though.

Fuck Bloomberg. The bottom line is that the city has just eliminated an affordable option for people to make short stays in the city. If you look at AirBnB listings for the city it's astonishing how cheap a room could run for compared to hotels.

Of course that's the point - heaven forbid that NY be affordable. This hurts guys looking to stay in the city to game big time. It's apropos they should compare it to the license for taxis in the city because the taxi medallion market in New York is the most corrupt in America.

Quote: (05-21-2013 02:40 PM)Exactaking Wrote:  

Similar to execustay and other corporate housing. About $250-$300/day for 1 bdrm in NYC. 31 Day minimum though.

That's not even remotely comparable.

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

Seriously? That's not even close. Sounds like spam to me.

Quote: (05-21-2013 02:46 PM)NY Digital Wrote:  

Yes, because I'm a one of those chinese spammers who advertises cheap knockoff Nikes on Cnn.com

[Image: banana.gif]

Quote: (05-21-2013 02:59 PM)Exactaking Wrote:  

Quote: (05-21-2013 02:46 PM)NY Digital Wrote:  

Yes, because I'm a one of those chinese spammers who advertises cheap knockoff Nikes on Cnn.com

[Image: banana.gif]

[Image: confused-meme.jpg]

a law that cannot be enforced in not law.

the thing this does is increase the cost of doing business and increase the scope and size of the nanny state.

Know any others like that in NYC?

The hotel industry hates airbnb the way 45 year old women hate when men chase young women online. So just like with plenty of fish they want to ban the competition. I'm not paying $300 a night for a damn 3 star hotel.

Btw, now would be a great time to have a couchsurfing profile in Manhattan.