rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What's the best mobile phone setup for traveling?

I just got a new phone, an inexpensive t-mobile tap, but I may return it and get something else. What phone is best for travel(iphone isn't an option for me)? Something that will work anywhere, has GPS and mapping apps. Obviously email too and something that can let you use Skype calls and SMS for very cheap and maybe even let you have your own skype number on your phone. I'd want to be able to seamlessly call or text anyone from anywhere in the world be it local or international.

Any other suggestions as to what to look for in a phone if you want something that works with a travel abroad lifestyle?

This was talked about recently: http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-2226.html

It depends on your needs, but you definitely need something unlocked.

Quote: (07-05-2010 03:01 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

What phone is best for travel(iphone isn't an option for me)?

Why? I'm using iPhone 3G, and I'm T-Mobile subscriber. Get a 3G one from Craigslist (I suggest staying away from 3GS or 4G - much more PITA to unlock, and you may find 3G 8Gb for as little as $200-250), unlock it yourself using free tools available, get xGPS (free) or offlineMaps ($2.99, I suggest this one as it can do street search), download maps and enjoy.

does iphones use a sim card?

yes, new iphone uses a micro simm

Quote: (07-05-2010 09:54 PM)dlmelvin86 Wrote:  

does iphones use a sim card?

Yes, all iPhones, except the latest 4G, use the regular SIM card.

Quote: (07-06-2010 02:00 PM)clr Wrote:  

yes, new iphone uses a micro simm

would u be able to use the new iphones in south america and europe with the new micro sim cards?

Quote: (07-06-2010 09:13 PM)dlmelvin86 Wrote:  

would u be able to use the new iphones in south america and europe with the new micro sim cards?

You Have 2 options:

Option 1:

If you can unlock the new iphone 4 (which is not possible today, only iOS4 on 3g, and 3gs), then you can take it to South America and use with local carriers. What you have to do for local carrirers, is take the local sim card, and cut it with nail clippers down to micro sim size. The actual chip is the exact same as the old, bigger sim chip. Youtube has lots of how-to videos on this topic.

Also, you can unlock an Iphone 3gs (or Iphone 3g) running the new iOS4 platform, given that you did NOT use spirit to jailbreak your phone, and use pwnage. You cannot as of today, unlock the actual Iphone 4 with its new bootrom. However, be patient, I expect this to be ready from the iphone dev hacking team by beginning of August.

Option 2:

Now, if you are willing to pay roaming fees/charges (which I strongly recommend you do not), then you can call AT&T and enable an INternational roaming plan to use teh phone with local carriers as you piggyback on their network. This, however, is incredibly expensive for gaming girls as local calls will run you about .60/minute!

Mixx

I had a my brother unlock and jailbreak my Iphone 3G in about 5 minutes. For safety reasons, I'm not going to be taking it with me on the streets in Brasil/SA but instead use a cheap unlocked phone. Now, how safe it is say in Thailand/China to be rolling on the streets/clubs/bars with an Iphone 3G?

Quote: (07-06-2010 09:31 PM)MiXXmaster27 Wrote:  

You Have 2 options:

A third option would be to use micro-SIM adapter like this one.

What's better to use abroad? To use Skype to make all your calls and not have to have a local provider, or to have both Skype(for international) combined with a local provider for the locals. Skype also has texting plans too. It's also cool that you can have a local U.S. number set up on Skype so people back home call that number at domestic rates and can reach you anywhere in the world.

Quote: (07-09-2010 01:28 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

What's better to use abroad? To use Skype to make all your calls and not have to have a local provider, or to have both Skype(for international) combined with a local provider for the locals. Skype also has texting plans too. It's also cool that you can have a local U.S. number set up on Skype so people back home call that number at domestic rates and can reach you anywhere in the world.

My friend was doing just that. He would get a local number wherever he went (for the locals) and would set up skype to call that number from an American number (for his friends and family back home). It worked out well, and the quality of calls was actually higher than regular skypeout (with an inconsistent broadband connection). Although, it does cost a little bit to receive calls that were routed through skype (though apparently he said not that much).

I like to have a local number for the girls, otherwise they have to call an international number, plus its cheaper and I have found that all over the world buying a sim card is dirt cheap and it almost always included minutes. Because the rest of the world is poor they mostly text, so thats what I do as well.

I use skype to call /text to the US, and I always buy a local sim where ever I am

Get an unlocked quad band phone. It has to be quad band or it will not work everywhere in the world. Having WiFi can also be helpful because you can connect to skype or surf the internet for free whenever you have a wifi connection. Then buy local sim cards wherever you go. Also, sign up for a Skype in and get a US number so ppl at home can call you. Its pretty cheap. You can also have those incoming calls forwarded to your local cell phone.

If you dont care about wifi, you can get a cheap unlocked quad band phone for $40 or less off the internet. In crappy countries this can be better so you dont have to worry about getting robbed.

I did a search for unlocked quad band phone wifi gps on ebay and had about 200 results. Any thoughts on this paticular no name brand phone?
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-GPS-GSM-Unlocked...3f0338c4b7

Quote: (10-21-2010 01:54 AM)kali Wrote:  

I did a search for unlocked quad band phone wifi gps on ebay and had about 200 results. Any thoughts on this paticular no name brand phone?
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-GPS-GSM-Unlocked...3f0338c4b7

It's a good looking phone with everything you need, but I would still be concerned with it being a touch screen and blackberry storm look-a-like. It could be a security issue plus you have no idea the quality of the touch screen. You don't want to spend 10 minutes trying to type in a girls number, only to get robbed outside the bar for having a flashy touchscreen.

Here's the question:

What phone meets all the criteria mentioned above, is unlikely to make you a target for robbery, but is still nicer than the local average?

I assume that a simple Blackberry Curve 8310 would still be too much, even though I might would take my chances. It seems to meet all the criteria for around $100 on ebay.

This looks like an amazing phone for travel:

New HTC AT&T Quickfire GTX 75 Unlocked Quad Band GSM Cell Phone - 3G, GPS, 1.3 Megapixel Camera, QWERTY Keyboard, Three Color Option

$59.99

http://mobile.dailysteals.com/

edit: reviews don't look so good. anyway, for $60, it still might be worth it.
http://www.gsmarena.com/at&t_quickfire-2598.php

and for those interested I bought my iphone 4, and took a regular straight razor, traced the micro sim on a regular sim, then took a regular pair of scissors and cut where I scored it, I had to trim every so slightly the card a bit more to make it fit, and all was perfect... it said no sim installed, you turn off the phone and back on and you are golden, I like the gps tagging of the photos you take.

Quote: (10-21-2010 12:41 PM)clr Wrote:  

and for those interested I bought my iphone 4, and took a regular straight razor, traced the micro sim on a regular sim, then took a regular pair of scissors and cut where I scored it, I had to trim every so slightly the card a bit more to make it fit, and all was perfect...

Or you can buy a micro-sim card cutter :

http://dealnay.com/733262/clearmax-micro...cloth.html

I used it 4x, and works in seconds perfectly!

whats the best unlocked phone for around 100? im gonna need one for Colombia in a few weeks.....

Quote: (03-18-2011 07:30 AM)Dash Global Wrote:  

whats the best unlocked phone for around 100? im gonna need one for Colombia in a few weeks.....

Anyone know anything about this phone?

i68 4G touch Quad Band WiFi Phone

supp a china's version of the iphone or something. you can get it on ebay/amazon for cheap. im alil skeptical.... lol