rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Joining the military

Joining the military

Has any of you ever been in the army before? I don't know what I want to do. I do know I need to find a career to make money.

http://www.army.mil/

Joining the military

Good try local army recruiter

Joining the military

Quote: (05-17-2010 03:45 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

Wow. No more replies for this guy.

Joining the military

Do not go into the military for money. The pay is not that good, unless your other option is the service industry. There are programs you can take advantage of such as the GI bill to help pay for college. Sometimes you can be stationed in cool places around the world.

There are both advantages and disadvantages to joining the military, and I'd speak to different people who loved it and hated it before you make your choice. Also, recruiters get bonuses for every guy they sign up, so take their word with a grain of salt. Some are very helpful and honest, but when one's paycheck is riding on results, it can sway one's intentions and actions.

Good luck.

Joining the military

I almost went to the navy when I finished my studies cause I wanted to travel, didn´t had cash, and didn´t wanted to work with suit and tie straight away. Two weeks before going to the recruitment trainning I got a well paid job which allowed me to travel whenever I wanted without the constraints of military lifestyle.

One of my youth friends went to the army and was sent to Kosovo. He tells me girls are beautiful, but he´s more into p4p stuff. He was sent back cause he punched a superior rank.

Joining the military

I've been in the Army for the past 7 years. Im typing this enroute to Afghanistan.

In the military, your return on investment (time, loss of independance, etc) depends entirely on what choices you make. I went to the service academy (ranked top school in the country by forbes last year), where I recieved a double major and studied languages. I graduated with absolutly no debt and was payed my entire time as a student. I also spent weekends in NYC spitting game at wannabe models. Life was pretty good.

Since school Ive been posted in some of the worst places the Army has to offer, but at the same time Ive done things most guys will only see on TV: Ranger school, Airborne school, Combat Diver school, Multiple shooting and demolitions schools.

You will get payed pretty well as an officer, but you will make sacrifices enlisted arent asked for. Prior to this deployment I was working 20 hour days 7 days a week just to make sure my unit was ready to go. Again, you get payed well. Im currently pushing a 68 firebird (fully restored, LS1 engine, Modern subframe w/corvette suspension and brakes) as my primary ride. Not a lot of 24 year olds doing that with my balance in the bank. Also, you get cash thrown at you during deployments. You just have to decide if its worth the physical danger and lack of independance. This is a personal decision. PM if you need to know anything else and I'll try to answer additional questions.

Joining the military

The guy is already banned btw

Btbob, they have innernet onboard air force airplanes now?

Joining the military

Quote: (07-20-2010 08:35 AM)Badstuber Wrote:  

The guy is already banned btw

Btbob, they have innernet onboard air force airplanes now?

Na, you do civilian charter flights to your last jump point, where you wait on a airforce flight. That jump point is where I'm at now.
It's pretty nice as far as FOBs go, 24 gyms and DFACs, free Wi-Fi. I've lived in worse.

Im not really worried about that dude, but this thread will turn up if someone searches.

BLUF: You can make money in the military, but their are much easier ways. You will give up personal safety and freedom. Do it for something other than the money.

Joining the military

Quote: (05-17-2010 03:45 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

Those guys are sneaky.

I spent nine years of my life in the US Navy. I'm extremely proud of most of the work I did. I sailed around the world twice, and learned just about everything there is to know about the ocean.

If any of you reading this value your life, DO NOT JOIN THE US MILITARY!!!

PM before you sign anything, and I'll talk you out of it.

Aloha!

Joining the military

"If any of you reading this value your life, DO NOT JOIN THE US MILITARY!!! "

why?

Joining the military

Quote: (07-20-2010 03:34 PM)Badstuber Wrote:  

why?

Because it's easy to get shot.

Aloha!

Joining the military

Lol, no shit sherlock.

I really do not think life in Afghanistan for example is more dangerous than the civilian life... In Afghanistan you could only get shot and things like that while in a civilized society you could die in a freak accident....

Joining the military

Quote: (07-20-2010 04:11 PM)Badstuber Wrote:  

I really do not think life in Afghanistan for example is more dangerous than the civilian life...

Well you're wrong.

Aloha!

Joining the military

Aloha...

Joining the military

I hear what Btbob is saying about getting ahead, good pay, and I'm sure being a high up in the military doesn't look bad on future resumes, but I just can't get over the lack of independence you'd have, and the conformist lifestyle of being in the military.

Joining the military

Quote: (07-20-2010 03:40 PM)Kona Wrote:  

Quote: (07-20-2010 03:34 PM)Badstuber Wrote:  

why?

Because it's easy to get shot.

Aloha!

No doubt. I'm pretty honest about my focus being on the action rather than the flag or my bank acccount. I really like what I do. Its not for everyone. It has more disadvantages than most logically find tolerable.

But Kona: Would someone have been able to talk you out of it? I know that both my father and grandfather (both Rangers and combat vets) couldn'y talk me out of it. Im not saying you're wrong or that you dont make a valid point. But if someone thinks this is a solid option, they'll sign the dotted line no matter what anyone tells them.

Joining the military

if one is considering the military than they need to go in as an officer. enlisted ppl dont make nothing.

also if the fighting isnt for you than join the airforce or the navy. fairly safe choices.

Joining the military

When we get in a real war (against an actual armed country) sailors will be taking major casualties. There are no safe bets in the armed services.

Joining the military

Quote: (07-20-2010 07:50 PM)Btbob Wrote:  

No doubt. I'm pretty honest about my focus being on the action rather than the flag or my bank acccount.

So your not in it for the money. And your not into it for the flag (on this board that means sex, but I assume that you mean patriotism), but your in it to shoot people?

If thats the case, then you've got some deep seeded issues that you need to work out.

And your out of your mind if you think that Afghanistan is as safe a civilian life. Also, remember, that there is psychological as well as physical safety to consider. Although, you would be wrong either way.

Joining the military

Quote: (07-20-2010 08:44 PM)kingkong Wrote:  

When we get in a real war (against an actual armed country) sailors will be taking major casualties. There are no safe bets in the armed services.

i dont think anyone has to worry about two modernized 1st world countries going to war against each other. too risky / dangerous and is a no win situation.

Joining the military

Quote: (07-20-2010 08:53 PM)Dash Global Wrote:  

i dont think anyone has to worry about two modernized 1st world countries going to war against each other. too risky / dangerous and is a no win situation.

This betrays serious ignorance about 1914. The global economy was booming and integrating and everybody thought warfare between major powers was obsolete. Then in the space of a couple months the dominoes fell and the world was at war for arguably the next 50 years. Straight through to the fall of the Berlin Wall, really, if you consider the Bolshevik revolution and subsequent Cold War were direct consequences of WWI.

The headline one morning could be "Israel Strikes Iran", the dominoes start falling, and before you know it there's full-on war in the Pacific. I'd be rather surprised if we go the next 20 years without it happening.

Joining the military

that was pre nuclear.

there is only one type of people that would not care about dying and that would be an islamic extremist of an iran or something. and even then they value their life and power and would not want to jeopardize that imo. because if a country did atomic bomb or nuc another country it would be the end of them.

i dont think we (america) will have to worry about such a type of war.

Joining the military

Pre-nuclear was a entirely different game. You cant look to pre-nuclear history for insight into todays international military balancing act.

There was no such thing as a cold war before the nuclear bomb was invented.

Joining the military

Sure there was such a thing as cold war before the bomb. France and Britain had one for a few hundred years.

Nuclear war isn't even what you probably think it is. The US could easily win a nuclear confrontation and quickly recover just fine from ~10 successful nuclear strikes in short order.

Not everybody's a pussy about the prospect of losing a few million people. I guarantee you the citizens of China would be chanting "push the button!" in the right circumstances. I'm quite sure the same goes for the USA.

The causalities of the Civil War translate into tens of millions of deaths in the modern population. Much of the landscape and cities might as well have been nuked, and this was American on American violence. You really think people have fundamentally changed since the 1860s?

Joining the military

Quote: (07-20-2010 08:50 PM)hydrogonian Wrote:  

Quote: (07-20-2010 07:50 PM)Btbob Wrote:  

No doubt. I'm pretty honest about my focus being on the action rather than the flag or my bank acccount.

If thats the case, then you've got some deep seeded issues that you need to work out.

Jesus dude, That is not what I nor anyone else is saying. No servicemember Ive ever met has expressed in any way that they like shooting people. Certain parts of this are horrible and terrible things that will give anyone nightmares.

By action I mean the interfacing with a local culture, while trying to accomplish your objectives. Working with foreign partners to accomplish the complete construction of a modern society in a complex tribal system.

Yeah, there are some adrenaline pumping, heart racing moments. But they are few and far between. Howerver, you'd be lying to yourself that when its all over, the fact that you and your guys are ok is one of the best feelings in the world.

Dont try to paint someone as a sociopath from a few words on the internet.