rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Professional Demeanour and Communication

This is something I'd really like to improve on.

I did five years at uni in introverted subjects and then worked for myself online - as a result never really built my communication skills to a good level. Now I'm freelancing for others I'd love to improve on that and round those areas out.

I get marketing concepts, and I think I market myself well in text (email and website). Oddly, I also think I communicate decently as a manager, having hired + directed quite a few contractors online.

But as a service provider, I feel I'm kinda lacking - especially as a natural introvert.
I'd love to become a smooth, professional communicator, in person and on the phone. Any tips?

Specifically, I'd like to get better at:

Cold Calling and promoting myself
Meetings with clients, discussing projects
Interviewing clients to get information for the project
Back-and-forth communication while working on a project
Just generally combining being pleasant/agreeable with professional communication

I feel like I'm kind of winging it, having never worked in a corporate environment and absorbed those communications skills.

What's the best way to develop them quickly? Any books? I kinda feel like I'd even benefit from just listening to recordings of to successful sales calls / productive meetings or something, lol.

Quote: (01-21-2013 09:22 AM)RichieP Wrote:  

This is something I'd really like to improve on.

I did five years at uni in introverted subjects and then worked for myself online - as a result never really built my communication skills to a good level. Now I'm freelancing for others I'd love to improve on that and round those areas out.

I get marketing concepts, and I think I market myself well in text (email and website). Oddly, I also think I communicate decently as a manager, having hired + directed quite a few contractors online.

But as a service provider, I feel I'm kinda lacking - especially as a natural introvert.
I'd love to become a smooth, professional communicator, in person and on the phone. Any tips?

Specifically, I'd like to get better at:

Cold Calling and promoting myself
Meetings with clients, discussing projects
Interviewing clients to get information for the project
Back-and-forth communication while working on a project
Just generally combining being pleasant/agreeable with professional communication

I feel like I'm kind of winging it, having never worked in a corporate environment and absorbed those communications skills.

What's the best way to develop them quickly? Any books? I kinda feel like I'd even benefit from just listening to recordings of to successful sales calls / productive meetings or something, lol.

Watch this movie:

I come from a similar background, I'm a natural introvert and majored in the sciences.

The two biggest things that helped me were working in sales for two years and going to networking events.

In sales you are forced to have great communication skills. I observed a few guys who were great communicators and emulated them.

I also learned a lot about communicating over the phone, as I did my share of cold calling and warm calls(calling existing customers.)

The networking events were good for practice and to build contacts. As you encounter more and more corporate people you'll begin to notice that many use the same type of communication style and buzz words. It's kind of like they've all read the same book. While I hate being part of the mold, you have to fit in to a certain degree and play the political game to get ahead.

Your setup right now seems pretty good for practice. I'm of the school of thought that the best way to learn is by doing.

I remember the first time I had to pick up the phone and make a cold call to make a sales appointment I was nervous as hell. I would set up a goal for the day and not stop until I reached that number. Like everything else the more practice the better.

You can read this and this

I also found this ebooklet quite useful:
http://bookboon.com/en/textbooks/persona...ion-skills

Furthermore, as a reformed introvert who had to learn client-provider communication the hard way, here are some lessons I learnt from being a doctor:

- Allow your client to finish speaking. Let him finish his sentence, no matter how urgently you feel the need to say something smart or to ask a question. Mentally file everything you want to say and let your client have their ramble. It's only the very rare non-stop talker that you will need to interrupt, and these guys are used to being interrupted. That said, when in doubt, shut up and let the other guy talk. In medicine, the typical patient talks for 40 seconds at a time, but the typical doctor interrupts him at 30 seconds. Guess what remains a consistent complaint about doctors? 'They interrupt me while I'm speaking.' Hold out for the last 10 seconds and the clients say, 'That guy really listens!'

- After getting your client's request, say everything he said back at him in summary, and ask, "Did I get that right?" This strongly gives the impression to the client that you are taking what he says seriously.

- On occasion your client will imply what he wants. You should ALWAYS assume you've misunderstood your client. If your client is implying certain expectations, say, "The message I'm getting from you is that what you would like is.... Do I understand you correctly?" It's amazing how one's own assumptions can cloud one's judgement. Always assume you are wrong until your client has explained otherwise. Otherwise you will make fantastic goofups.

This sounds cliche but you need to be a good listener, people aren't hiring you because you are the most interesting man in the world. Being a good listener is not nodding your head while your client drones on, but about being able to note key points in what the client says and then verbalising it back to your client to achieve clarification of the message.

- Dress well. As a doctor I've finetuned my appearance to maximise my therapeutic impact (a good doctor exerts a powerful placebo effect - you feel better just being in his presence. The appearance of your doctor plays a part in this. Even if you're visiting the smartest doctor in the world, you will struggle to accept his treatment if he's dressed in a torn tshirt, broadshorts and sandals. On the other hand, some conmen have successfully conned people into believing they are doctors, by dressing the part). You yourself should dress well and then figure out how to change your wardrobe to maximise your 'presence' to your clients.

- Always address your clients formally using 'Sir' or 'Ma'am.' Only if the clients insist then you can downgrade to Mr so-and-so or go to first name basis. Even people that prefer first-names will subconsciously be grateful for your politeness.

- Be polite.

- If the chance arrives, get them talking about themselves. "So where are you from?" "How did you get your current job?"

- General chitchat topics revolve around 'the shared experience'. What experience are you sharing with your clients at the moment you meet them? "This place has great coffee!" "The weather has been terrible lately!"

Hope this helps.

Have you guys tried the Sandler System? I downloaded them a while back, but never got around to listening to them. They're Casette Tapes from the late 80s/early 90s.

I know exactly what you're talking about. I was an engineering major and my first corporate job was (is) in sales. To this day I still am not a master communicator, whether that be on the phone or in person. Especially over the phone because I virtually have no experience and still struggle with it to this day. Guys around me are much better, but the reason is is that they've been doing it for 10-15 years. In my opinion the only way the majority of us can get better is by one thing, PRACTICE. Pick up the phone rather than email, get out and network, maintain eye contact, have good posture, and speak purposefully.