rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

500k business to start
Bet against the US Dollar.
Quote: (10-23-2012 11:54 PM)PartyonBro Wrote:  

By buying real estate? Rental properties?
I would travel around the world for a few years..

1/20
Quote: (10-24-2012 12:12 AM)murrb Wrote:  

Quote: (10-23-2012 11:54 PM)PartyonBro Wrote:  

By buying real estate? Rental properties?

I'd probably get an investment adisor like Peter Schiffs firm. I listen to him alot....

http://www.europac.net/

but not everything, maybe like 200k and the rest I'd use to live and maybe start some microbusinesess.
I also hear about people who "short the US dollar". I'd probably figure out how to do that however you do it.
Invest a third.

Open a restaurant in SE Asia with plans to expand. Something simple, a fast casual operation doing sandwiches and other American staples that Asians love.

Take about 50K and go on a 6 month bender of sex, drugs, and travel

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK
Quote: (10-24-2012 12:38 AM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

Invest a third.

Open a restaurant in SE Asia with plans to expand. Something simple, a fast casual operation doing sandwiches and other American staples that Asians love.

I dont like the idea of opening a restaurant in thailand because you have to put ownership in a thai persons name and I dont know any thai people with that level of trust.

I have never looked into something like that with other se asian countries though.
If I had to do a business instead of investing, I would open an outsourcing business in the Philippines. I sort of do that now but I'd use the capital to expand.
$500,000 Cash:

-$40k for any undergrad loan obligations.
-$220k to pay off the mortgage for my home, help end mortgage payments for my mother and give us full ownership of the house.
-$120k for grad school.
-$15k for a new car.
-$3k for new, top-of-the-line computer and associated equipment
-$15k to do whatever I want with (new clothes, maybe play two-week millionaire in Asia for a second, etc)
-$40k to service any financial burdens/debts/obligations my mother currently has and allow her to retire more easily.
-$20k invested.
-$27k stored for a rainy day.

Total Expenditures: $500k

Give it to me tomorrow, and this is what I'll do. Give me another $500k and I'll start thinking about generating some passive income (possibly via real estate investment, among other things). That's all.

Know your enemy and know yourself, find naught in fear for 100 battles. Know yourself but not your enemy, find level of loss and victory. Know thy enemy but not yourself, wallow in defeat every time.
Put it in the bank and live off interest.
I would figure out how to fix all my current health problems. Then burn through it for a few years while I pursue a career in music. Then do something responsible with whatever's left over after that.
Quote: (10-24-2012 05:04 AM)w00t Wrote:  

500k is nowhere near enough to stash away and hope to live off the interest, the only way you can live off it is if you make some very smart investments.

$30,000: Student loans repaid.

$25,000: To my grandmother, so she doesn't have to worry about rent for the next 4-5 years (which given her overall health is about what she has left).

$25,000: $5,000 each to my sister, my mom, my dad, my one aunt and uncle and my other aunt and uncle, to do what they pleased with; they could use it to chip away at some of their debt, or maybe they just want to take a trip, it's fine.

$100,000: A strong GIC, minimum 30% return/5 years.

About $30,000: Wardrobe overhaul.

That would leave $290,000 for me to travel and find a place where I can stretch that money out for about 10 years, probably somewhere in Southeast Asia or a small Pacific Island.
I'd delve full time into IM/E-Commerce in a SE Asia/Latin America with the end goal of yearly 6 figure internet income that can be done on the road with a phone and a laptop.

WIA
Quote: (10-24-2012 05:04 AM)w00t Wrote:  

Yeah, a bank will pay you about 1% a year so for a $500k balance that's $5k...peanuts for one year. You'd need to spread it out in a diversified portfolio with medium and high-yielding investments (3-15%). You could probably generate 8% per year without too much of an issue...which is $40k - enough to live on in most countries. You'd still have principal risk, so that $500k could be $450k if markets got hit and then you'd be $36k per year.

Alternatively, you could place a bet on starting a business (highly risky) or make a few high risk bets on equities or options (high - extremely high risk) and attempt to double that initial $500k to something more comfortable.

I think the bottom line is if you're not near retirement age, $500k is nothing to quit your day job over.

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"
Quote: (10-24-2012 12:49 AM)murrb Wrote:  

Quote: (10-24-2012 12:38 AM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

Invest a third.

I dont like the idea of opening a restaurant in thailand because you have to put ownership in a thai persons name and I dont know any thai people with that level of trust.

I have never looked into something like that with other se asian countries though.

I probably wouldn't do Thailand either. I'd try Singapore even though it's expensive and there's already good restaurants there, and also there's a huge market in the Phils. I know an L.A. based chef who just opened a basic bakery operation there and there's a line out the door every day.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK
Shorting the USD is too risky right now. Plus you will be waiting awhile. It still has legs.

But the ultimate trade and the one I have been betting on the last 6 months and will continue to hold is EURCHF. The swiss can't hold the peg forever as it will destroy the central bank and it is already creating massive price increases in their country.

Oh and I would skim 5k off and go buy a 50 cal. barret.

" I'M NOT A CHRONIC CUNT LICKER "

Canada, where the women wear pants and the men wear skinny jeans
UGGGGGG. I won't take Lord's name in vain on this thread, but FUCk me running. Worst advice I've EVER heard. $500K? Party like a fucking rockstar. And if you're working on that financial goal, you will die a fucking miserable human being. I swear to you now, this advice comes from the heart. Enjoy your life, and spend when you are able.

@Athlone- Fuck man, get a life. Your post depressed me to no end. I blew $20K or more in the DR. Fuck. Do you think the U.S. will be around in 50 years? Son, get into the real world. Party like a rockstar. Oh wait, your parent's told you to save up until you're 65? FUCKKKKKKKK man. The fuck can you do when you are that old?
Quote: (10-24-2012 10:58 AM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

UGGGGGG. I won't take Lord's name in vain on this thread, but FUCk me running. Worst advice I've EVER heard. $500K? Party like a fucking rockstar. And if you're working on that financial goal, you will die a fucking miserable human being. I swear to you now, this advice comes from the heart. Enjoy your life, and spend when you are able.

@Athlone- Fuck man, get a life. Your post depressed me to no end. I blew $20K or more in the DR. Fuck. Do you think the U.S. will be around in 50 years? Son, get into the real world. Party like a rockstar. Oh wait, your parent's told you to save up until you're 65? FUCKKKKKKKK man. The fuck can you do when you are that old?
Yeah..Athlones post depressed me a little too. But he'll probably be retired or able at my age. As far as I go I'm dangerous with too much cash 500k would probably be the end of me unless I pumped it into real estate quickly but that's not on my brain these days so I would probably travel and party with sluts.

I would upgrade my boat probably and buy a new car that hauls balls but flies under the radar then take quick trips to find PP and probably buy a condo there...
A few years ago I would have probably said invest the majority of it but spend $90k on a used Lambo and $10-20k to party hard for a while.

Now I'd say a few condos across the world in PPs and some stable income investments of stock or rental units would be a wiser choice.

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

Invest in a diversified portfolio seeking 6-8% returns. That's 30-40K a year.

Get a part-time job at Whole Foods or bartend. That gives extra cash and access to women.

Between the job and the dividends, I'd have plenty of cash and plenty of hos.
This thread is retarded, but I beg to question? Don't think "what will you Do" but what "did you did". When you get this kind of money, write me. Emech knows, and maybe hotwheels. but easy come easy go. The way it is. I ned one fucking member that has made money. Tell me how you save?
Quote: (10-24-2012 11:45 AM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

This thread is retarded, but I beg to question? Don't think "what will you Do" but what "did you did". When you get this kind of money, write me. Emech knows, and maybe hotwheels. but easy come easy go. The way it is. I ned one fucking member that has made money. Tell me how you save?

Ali, I see where you're coming from. When you have or are making decent bank, dropping thousands here and there is an afterthought. I'm talking thousands and thousands at clubs, gambling, car, trips, etc. Been there done (and still doing) all that.

You are totally right in saying easy come easy go. Everyone thinks they will become Warren Buffett when given some decent change, but the money will disappear before your animal spirits do. But I think $500k, while not a fortune, can get you well on your way to something meaningful if you put some thought into it.

Not trying to start an argument here, but all you guys who say "open a business" I'm not entirely sure if you're aware all the fucking hard work and TIME goes into that if you want to be successful. You WILL be working nonstop, way more than in any job, and it will be on your mind all the time. There will NOT be time to take off several weeks out of the year to just travel and visit places because it's YOUR business and YOUR the boss.

All these self-help books say "hire employees" - well, sure, hire them but the good ones will always be seeing how they can get an edge up for themselves, then likely jump ship or start their own company stealing everything. The mediocre ones will always need YOUR supervision.

Starting a business is NOT something you do if you want to live a sort of jet-setting lifestyle like most of the guys here do.

It'd be far wiser to look for reliable investments that provide a more passive income.

Anyway, I've always found these hypotheticals to be rather silly because they're so unrealistic. The only place where these sorts of questions IMO belong are in job interviews, and the answer to what would you do with a million dollars in these situations is always "Give it all to charity" [Image: wink.gif]
Quote: (10-24-2012 11:45 AM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

I personally know at least 2 guys with > 500K net worth and one half-way there.

It may come as a surprise, but as far as these things go, you're actually the poser.