rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Thailand Hotel/Accomodation Bookings

I'm headed to Thailand from December 27th to January 9th and need to get the accommodations buttoned up for the stretch of NYE at Koh Samui. I am reading about $50USD rooms which is supposedly pretty legit, but everything seems pretty damn expensive from what I can see.

Any recommendations on sites or how to best go about this in SEA this time of year?

Have checked the regular sites we all know. Tripadvisor, etc.

Quote: (10-13-2012 09:55 PM)Qwest Wrote:  

I'm headed to Thailand from December 27th to January 9th and need to get the accommodations buttoned up for the stretch of NYE at Koh Samui. I am reading about $50USD rooms which is supposedly pretty legit, but everything seems pretty damn expensive from what I can see.

Any recommendations on sites or how to best go about this in SEA this time of year?

Have checked the regular sites we all know. Tripadvisor, etc.

These two usually have the best rates for hotels, guesthouses, etc. in that part of the world:

http://www.agoda.com/
http://www.latestays.com/

Keep in mind the weeks surrounding NYE are the most expensive time of year for accommodation and the southern islands are the most expensive part of the country. $50 for a decent room sounds about right.

I can't have sex with your personality, and I can't put my penis in your college degree, and I can't shove my fist in your childhood dreams, so why are you sharing all this information with me?

Thanks for the info my man, I'll try those. I figured we are gonna spend more this time of year but these damn 6 star resorts keep coming up which is way more than we need.

I remember hearing all this hype about getting a nice room for $10 a night in Thailand, but that must have been in the 90's. There are cheaper parts of the country, but Koh Samui in high season is fucking taxed, the first hotel I stay at was pretty nice, but not amazing and it was like $110 a night, off orbitz, then I stayed at a place in Chaweng on the beach for $60 that was okay, but nothing special. Soma is right, agoda is probably the best site to use.

I spent a month travelling around Thailand last year. I found Asiarooms.com cheaper than Agoda, who are often full of shit with their fake discount percentages and "Book Now!! Only one room left!" when the hotel is half empty.

Yeah just over $100/night is what it looks like for something nice around that time.

your going during high season. Get ready to get scammed/ripped off like mad. I was thinking about going then too, but it was so pricey, that i changed my mind. Everything was seriously double. Man, I have never been scammed so much in my life in BKK. Cant even imagine it when the flood of tourist hits for new years time.

I am staying near Asok(soi 23) which is prime-hooker district (soi cowboy), but honestly its very convenient getting anywhere. If you want a really nice area, recommend staying thong lo (soi 55 ish) near BTS station. Choose a hotel that is no more than 200 meters or so from BTS. You will thank me. Its so ridiculously humid and hot.

WIA- For most of men, our time being masters of our own fate, kings in our own castles is short. Even those of us in the game will eventually succumb to ease of servitude rather than deal with the malaise of solitude

Quote: (12-05-2012 05:27 PM)DVY Wrote:  

your going during high season. Get ready to get scammed/ripped off like mad. I was thinking about going then too, but it was so pricey, that i changed my mind. Everything was seriously double. Man, I have never been scammed so much in my life in BKK. Cant even imagine it when the flood of tourist hits for new years time.

I am staying near Asok(soi 23) which is prime-hooker district (soi cowboy), but honestly its very convenient getting anywhere. If you want a really nice area, recommend staying thong lo (soi 55 ish) near BTS station. Choose a hotel that is no more than 200 meters or so from BTS. You will thank me. Its so ridiculously humid and hot.

If hotels are not within a couple hundred feet of the BTS, do some investigating and see if the hotel has a tuk tuk that will drive you straight to the station. Oftentimes, these nice properties will be cheaper because of their location away from the BTS but the tuk tuk mitigates this problem.

yea, tuk tuk and all. What if you are coming back? what if you want to go get food? Best not rely on hotel tuk-tuks. Thats my 2c.

WIA- For most of men, our time being masters of our own fate, kings in our own castles is short. Even those of us in the game will eventually succumb to ease of servitude rather than deal with the malaise of solitude

Quote: (12-05-2012 10:37 PM)DVY Wrote:  

yea, tuk tuk and all. What if you are coming back? what if you want to go get food? Best not rely on hotel tuk-tuks. Thats my 2c.

At the top of each soi there are drivers who will throw you on the back of the motorcycle for 15 bhat. Or just walk the few hundred meters. You're going home, you'll shower anyway.

Quote: (12-05-2012 11:06 PM)MaleDefined Wrote:  

Quote: (12-05-2012 10:37 PM)DVY Wrote:  

At the top of each soi there are drivers who will throw you on the back of the motorcycle for 15 bhat. Or just walk the few hundred meters. You're going home, you'll shower anyway.

Motorbike taxi drivers in BKK was a first for me, I've never been in a place where that has existed. At first I thought it was strange, (which it kind of is), but it is a very practical way to get around, considering BKK probably has top 3 worst traffic in the world (esp. at certain times of day).

The sheer craziness of how people drive there, motorbikes weaving in and out of traffic, etc., made me hesitant to get on the back of one, but I eventually started to use them, and it is a fun way to get around, maybe I'm kind of lame, but it was a rush for me too.

That said, I agree that it would be best to be near a BTS station when in BKK. But, I think the OP was looking for rooms in Samui, Samui during peak season (New Years) is so taxed. Not only rooms, but taxis are probably the worst, food and drink is more expensive than any where else too. Samui is probably the most expensive place in all of Thailand, though I hear Koh Phi Phi and Phuket can be very expensive too.

Man, ive been paying 40baht for motor-bike taxi rides. They havent wanted to take me for 30. Ehh, sukhumvit is pricier.

Any good decently priced serviced apartments anyone can recommend?

Quote: (12-09-2012 05:28 PM)Kdog Wrote:  

What is decently priced?

1000, 2000, 3000 bhat?

Travelhardcore got a hotel room for 800 baht/day, but long-term i think. I think you can pick up monthlies here anywhere from 8k baht to 30k baht( super high end). Call the hotel and bargain w/them. They will usually give you a discount esp. if you offer to pay cash and not book thru agoda.

Quote: (10-14-2012 01:49 PM)Acute Angle Wrote:  

I spent a month travelling around Thailand last year. I found Asiarooms.com cheaper than Agoda, who are often full of shit with their fake discount percentages and "Book Now!! Only one room left!" when the hotel is half empty.

Thanks man, just had a look at them and they seem indeed a bit cheaper. Gonna use them next time!

Quote: (12-09-2012 05:28 PM)Kdog Wrote:  

Sure, but you're far better off searching for them once you're there. Rent a motorbike for a few days and spend time riding down random roads (outside of the center) that you think would make good places to live in.

Just look for apartment buildings that look somewhat nice, get off your bike, and walk in to ask if they speak English. Ask to see the rooms if they've got any available, and always be sure to check the mattress for comfort (cheaper rooms in Thailand are notorious for having hard mattresses). If you meet a Thai you like and trust, take them with you. Or hire a reputable translator for the day.

You should be able to find a nice place for anywhere from 5000 - 10000 baht a month. I found a really nice one for 4500 baht, but it was a while ago.

While looking for an apartment, just check into a guesthouse with fan rooms somewhere. Mine was pretty decent, with a pool not far from my room, and it only cost $9 per night. It was in Lamai but just outside the girlie bar area and half a block from the beach.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Make sure you either book locally or read refine print. I just booked a place online that has an "annex" that is not mentioned anywhere. Arrived and was led 200 feet through an alley..

Can any of you guys recommend a decent area of Koh Tao to stay in? I'm going to be there Jan 7th for at least five days and plan on doing my PADI cert there, so ideally an area near a scuba place and also not too far restaurants and bars. From the research I've done online, I'm going to decide between Sairee Beach and Chalok Bay, just wondering if any of you have been to either place.

I could use the same info for Koh Pha Ngan as well, thanks guys.

@Scotian
It doesn't really matter to much. It is a really small island and super easy to get around. I would pick Sairee just because it is busier with more scuba places located their and a lot of the bars. But really it takes 10 minutes to get from one side to the other.

Quote: (10-13-2012 10:34 PM)OGNorCal707 Wrote:  

I remember hearing all this hype about getting a nice room for $10 a night in Thailand, but that must have been in the 90's. There are cheaper parts of the country, but Koh Samui in high season is fucking taxed, the first hotel I stay at was pretty nice, but not amazing and it was like $110 a night, off orbitz, then I stayed at a place in Chaweng on the beach for $60 that was okay, but nothing special. Soma is right, agoda is probably the best site to use.

I paid about 300 baht for a nice(!) fan room right at the beach in Lamai, Koh Samui. then again that was 7 years ago. But cheap rooms can definitely be found if you look around. NYE is the worst time though everything will be booked and prices will go through the roof.

Scotian me, InternationalSwagger and another friend of mine will be there at the same time. We are staying at Simple Life Divers which is right on Sairee Beach and supposedy has one of the best bars there. Also getting licensed through them as they had a very good reputation when I did my homework on it.

We will be there from 1/4- at least 1/8...let's meet up when you get there for sure and have a mini RVF meetup. Feel free to shoot me a PM also.

Was in and around Bangkok June '12. Stayed on lower Sukhs. Wouldn't recommend it, to be honest. Stay in Thonglor / Ekkamai...further up sukh.

Briefly stayed in Unico Express - Affordable. Not a good location though. Charge for extra people, so book for 2. It's too far/hot to walk to Sukh. Use the mototaxis outside for 30-40 baht for a ride to Sukh or soi 11. I paid $28 for their windowless a/c dungeon room. I left right away. However, they have free luggage storage for up to a month, which is golden. So if you're traveling around and don't want to haul big luggage, stay here, go South/North for a few days, and stash your bag.

Also stayed at Royal Express Inn Bangkok. Management bait and switched me on a late checkout which annoyed me. Nice room, way better location than Unico, for anyone looking to stay around Soi 3/4

I had a sweet 2 bed 2 bath suite at Royal hotel asia I think for 2000 per night prior to high season nov 1. All the way down soi 11. Your best bet wherever you are in the country is as beyond borders said. Walk around, ask how much, and to see the room, and negotiate. That's the way to get the best deal. Forget booking online unless you are anxious about not having a place to go upon arrival.

Quick question for you experienced Thailanders, what is the deal with hotels in Thailand being girlfriendly, do any hotels have a no guest policy or is it pretty much assumed that lone male travelers will be bringing birds back to the rooms?

I assume bringing a tourist chick back wouldn't be an issue, but bringing a scantily dressed Thai gal might?

I'm considering hitting Phuket and/or Samui, if anyones had issues with cockblock hotels a heads up would be appreciated