rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

NYC best area to rent for a guy on a budget

Moving to NYC soon with a buddy.

We're young guys, looking for a 2 BR under $2,000.

For you guys working in this price range, or who've been there before, what area would you choose as the best base of operations?

Open to creative ideas.

maybe brooklyn, maybe jersey city?

You aint gonna live in manhattan for that unless you want to live on bunk beds in someone's closet. lol cause rule of thumb is that rent should not take up more than what you earn in 1-1.5 wks out of a month's salary (after taxes), so to spend 1k you would be taking in $4-5k/month pre taxes. Of course, that's just a rule of thumb [Image: wink.gif]

get some copies of Time Out NY mag (maybe website?) and see whats up, neighborhoods where it's at, whats cool. It's been 5 yrs since I've been there.

Just go to New York Craigslist. Put in Manhattan or Brooklyn, No fee apts, 2br, max budget 2000
There are some available in UES, Upper West, Harlem

If you don't mind the other boroughs, Astoria and Bushwick have good deals.
You can even find something in Williamsburg for 2k.

You should be able to find a good place in New York on that budget. Just search around Craigslist.

One god thing a out New York is that since few people drive and friends can be spread out over the city, living near the night life is less important for getting laid than it is other places.

It's not uncommon for a group of girls to say goodbye and go their separate ways at the end of the night instead of all piling into the same car or taxi and leaving together. The one exception is the bridge and tunnel crowd. Pulling a girl you met on the LES up to Harlem or out to Brooklyn isn't that hard and her friends usually won't be in a position to cockblock you.

With thy said, my advice is to cast a wide net. Apartment hunting in New York is pretty intense. People show up to open houses with checkbook in hand ready to pounce. Good cheap places go real quick.

Best of luck. And happy hunting.

redacted

I'm a real estate broker in Manhattan...I don't do rentals anymore but I can get you started in the right areas. Shoot me a PM

Best combo of a good deal + safe area would probably be somewhere in Queens. Not gonna be quite as happening as some of the other boro's but just make sure you're near the subway to Manhattan. I would also consider the New Jersey side (Hoboken is pretty expensive, but maybe check out Jersey City). Over there you have the 24 hour PATH train to Manhattan and Hoboken itself has a good amount of singles & nightlife.

When I got here I was looking at some of these further away places but I ended up downtown. It is so much more convenient as everything is really easy to get to. If I was stuck way out in Harlem I don't think I would go out half as much.

I wonder if you could just rent a one bed and make the living room another bedroom?

Also contrary to what people say I haven't found it that expensive to go out, I can usually find somewhere with free booze most nights of the week and because I'm central I can walk home, take the subway or a cheap cab.

Quote: (10-10-2012 09:49 PM)Sonsowey Wrote:  

Moving to NYC soon with a buddy.

We're young guys, looking for a 2 BR under $2,000.

For you guys working in this price range, or who've been there before, what area would you choose as the best base of operations?

Open to creative ideas.

google eberhardt brothers.

2 bdrm for 2k? not in manhattan. cheapest studio's i saw 6 months ago were like 1800 and on 60th and first ave. good luck.

Tis true my brotha. As Roosh says, it comes down to location, location, location. And if you're a single guy trying to get laid (with access to a wide variety of international chicas), few places are better in the USA than middle & southern Manhattan. Even tho that shoebox or closet costs a fortune in these areas, it still might be worth it.

Quote: (10-11-2012 10:47 AM)Jalouse Wrote:  

When I got here I was looking at some of these further away places but I ended up downtown. It is so much more convenient as everything is really easy to get to. If I was stuck way out in Harlem I don't think I would go out half as much.

I wonder if you could just rent a one bed and make the living room another bedroom?

Also contrary to what people say I haven't found it that expensive to go out, I can usually find somewhere with free booze most nights of the week and because I'm central I can walk home, take the subway or a cheap cab.