rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The How-Would-You-Hustle Thought Experiment

Gents, let's say you've decided to move to a new area. For the purposes of this thought experiment, let's say you don't have a job already lined up, you don't know anybody in the area, and you have just enough in savings to help you squeak by for a few months.

How would you hustle your way into (1) making some money, (2) making friends, (3) meeting and banging attractive girls?

this isn't a completely random thought experiment, as I'm currently going through a variation of this now and will post my ideas on it as well.

I would start with friends and money. Sure go out and cold approach a couple nights a week, or if you see a cutie during the day, but friends and money are force-multipliers for picking up girls, if only because they put you in a much more stable, positive headspace. When you have a comfortable monthly income and solid friends to go out with, getting girls is sooo much easier than if you're couped up alone all week or worried about whether you can afford to eat and pay rent.

For me, income wise, Im hammering internet business and online freelancing. Which is really just about picking what service you want to offer, then learning a shitload about how to market + sell + getting clients + delivering.

Making money totally depends on what you're drawn to, your skills, strengths, etc etc. Gotta go the path thats right for you.

For meeting friends:

-Couchsurfing
-Sport or martial art or hobby
-Meetups for niche groups or hobbies you're interested in - e.g. meetup.com
-Classes - language, cooking, whatever
-Club /Pub crawls / any other structured "night out" events. Find listings websites and events pages on facebook
-PU forum guys (hit and miss)

Quote: (10-09-2012 02:42 AM)GyopoPlayboy Wrote:  

Gents, let's say you've decided to move to a new area. For the purposes of this thought experiment, let's say you don't have a job already lined up, you don't know anybody in the area, and you have just enough in savings to help you squeak by for a few months.

How would you hustle your way into (1) making some money, (2) making friends, (3) meeting and banging attractive girls?

this isn't a completely random thought experiment, as I'm currently going through a variation of this now and will post my ideas on it as well.

how to hustle...
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-14723.html

how to get a job...
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-13795.html

how to make friends...
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-14679-...#pid243824

how to get laid...
http://www.bangguides.com/game/bang/

Quote: (10-09-2012 03:58 AM)RichieP Wrote:  

I would start with friends and money. Sure go out and cold approach a couple nights a week, or if you see a cutie during the day, but friends and money are force-multipliers for picking up girls, if only because they put you in a much more stable, positive headspace. When you have a comfortable monthly income and solid friends to go out with, getting girls is sooo much easier than if you're couped up alone all week or worried about whether you can afford to eat and pay rent.

For me, income wise, Im hammering internet business and online freelancing. Which is really just about picking what service you want to offer, then learning a shitload about how to market + sell + getting clients + delivering.

Making money totally depends on what you're drawn to, your skills, strengths, etc etc. Gotta go the path thats right for you.

For meeting friends:

-Couchsurfing
-Sport or martial art or hobby
-Meetups for niche groups or hobbies you're interested in - e.g. meetup.com
-Classes - language, cooking, whatever
-Club /Pub crawls / any other structured "night out" events. Find listings websites and events pages on facebook
-PU forum guys (hit and miss)

The focus should definitely be on friends and money before women.

For a lot of people, friends and money go together since their first circle of friends in a new city may come from their immediate work environment. It gets tricky when your job is more of the freelance variety and you work alone, right?

In that regard, wouldn't you say the first step you should take is to make friends in a new city? The very first step in building a foundation for yourself in a new city should be to make friends who can cut time off your learning curve and help you with adjusting, no? In this thought experiment, you have a few months of savings to fall back on.

So when you're new to a city:

1. Hustle to make friends
2. Through friends, meet other friends, make connections, get jobs.
3. Then use the friends and money from job as force-multiplier for women.

Now the question is, how do you make the kind of quality friends who can help you get set up? Where would you meet them? Maybe this is where Thomas Rhymer's links would come in handy.

I already listed some ways to meet people. "Quality friends" dont come instantly IMO. First you make connections, then acquaintances, then regular acquaintances, and over time you form bonds and connect more and become friends. Takes months IME, so you just get your ass out there and meet a shitload of people through whatever channels appeal to you. And keep reconnecting with the ones who seem like "your type".

Quote: (10-09-2012 11:36 PM)RichieP Wrote:  

I already listed some ways to meet people. "Quality friends" dont come instantly IMO. First you make connections, then acquaintances, then regular acquaintances, and over time you form bonds and connect more and become friends. Takes months IME, so you just get your ass out there and meet a shitload of people through whatever channels appeal to you. And keep reconnecting with the ones who seem like "your type".

Agreed. But you don't necessarily have to wait several months to become good friends. If you hustle the right way, you can make good friendships rather quickly...think matter of weeks not months. The way to do this is to bring value to the table right away.

Case in point: I gave a presentation at a meetup in Daegu, Korea and knocked it out of the park. It was funny, energetic, and insightful. Afterwards I was approached by many of the spectators and we ended up hanging out all night drinking. By following up the next day and keeping in touch, I was able to make strong friendships within the week. Since then, whenever I'm down there, I always have a place to crash and even though we hit the bars and clubs frequently, it's their social circles from which I get the majority of my lays.

But you're right about the general order of how friendships are made. It involves incremental steps as you've pointed out. What I was originally looking for with this experiment were the specific steps you would take to make this happen. Lets talk logistics, in other words.

This is all assuming that I don't have a regular income that is generated regardless of location.

1. First things first I need a place to live. I would get on craigslist or the local equivalent and since I don't have a lot of money I'd look in rooms/shared for a place to stay. I'd look for younger roommates or someone who is desperate to rent out a room(in this economy most are). Also, never sign more than a 6 month lease with roommates.

2. Next I would go straight to a temp agency. I don't believe in having a 9 to 5 working for someone else, but the temp agency is a decent backup just in case my acclimation period for business in the new city takes a little longer than expected. On top of that, I would be buying an selling goods like I laid out in the Hustling thread. Redundancies are always good unless they're costing you money.

3. I would start looking for business opportunities. Once I have found an industry or a niche in an industry that hasn't been filled locally, I write my own version of a business plan and do a CBA of all available options for the business. I definitely prefer selling products or services to businesses rather than the general public, so that's probably where my focus will be. Then I go about talking to as many prospective customers as possible and get a good idea of what my pricing will be. There are too many variables to list that affect what steps I take when starting a business, but you get the gist of it.

As for friends, I'm one of those people who will bullshit with anyone in any place, so I generally have no problems getting to know a good amount of people quickly.

Meeting and banging attractive women is something I'm in the process of changing right now, so I probably shouldn't try to dole out much advice. Getting rid of the romantic beta shit where I basically put any 8+ up on a pedestal has been a big red pill for me. Building my own value, rather than hers is something I should have done years ago.

Yea true, its possible to make good friends quickly. I guess personally I'm a "slow burn"; takes me a while to get comfortable with people and really connect. I know some more extroverted guys could land in X country and be sorted for mates within two weeks.

So fair enough, on to logistics: well to me it just seems like it's about quantity of initial connections, thru channels that have potential to you. E.g. a class or sport you're interested in, or a meetup for people with similar values (entrepreneurship, pickup, tech gathering, whatever it may be). Just pounding those avenues until you've made some solid acquaintances. And working the nightlife avenues, particularly "events" beyond just club nights, that can be found on listings/facebook, e.g. anything that's run fortnightly or monthly that will attract the same people, like maybe a club crawl, or a student "society" party, or a models night, or whatever.

What more are you looking for? Seems to me it's about just doing anything that appeals, and doing lots of it, until your social life is where you want it to be.

Think of it like lifehacking but for rooshers. it seems a lot of us like to travel and live in different countries in search of our own poosy paradise, so the thought experiment here is an attempt to compile a list of the best strategies. There were a lot of stuff I felt that I did well when I first moved out to a different country, and it helped set me up quite well for the long run socially and financially.

So, for example, here are some of the concrete steps I took that helped me immensely:

1. hustled my way into an industry that is kind of mature in the US but still relatively new here and convinced them that I would take care of all decisions relating to this field. my degree helped get my foot in the door, but it was my presentation skills and confidence more than anything.
2. spent all night researching said industry on google. continued researching it over the next several months until i actually did feel like an expert.
3. overdelivered on assignments. got stellar reviews and feedback.
4. raised my salary more than four-fold by continually telling my employer about "other job offers" and that i'm looking to leave eventually.
5. became so good that i was called on to give presentations all around the country. met many people.
6. did eventually leave, bringing all my clients (plus their connections) with me. started my own business.
7. all of this in under a calendar year.

i didn't really know anybody in this city when i moved here. i had exactly 1 friend who lived some distance away. instead of using my college degree to try to break into an established field, i sought a more Wild-West type of industry that was still so relatively new that there weren't many rules or laws yet, where fortunes could be made relatively quickly.

I'm looking to share my experiences and findings through this thread where I'm hoping more rooshers will chime in with their own observations and experiences.

I was about to go through this exact situation where I was taking a job in a completely new line of work. The job was going to be unpaid, I didn't have a place to live, and knew very few people in the area.

I had a few thoughts on making money. Since there were 2 universities nearby, I could tutor or try to teach a class there. I also actively sought out some technical jobs as well through job postings on indeed.com

Making friends would have been tougher, but I would have done it by getting at the people I knew in the area. Also, RVF would have been useful for meeting up with local guys in the area I was going to move to.

Banging girls would have been the fun part. The 2 universities nearby would have made it pretty easy and accessible. This would also help me hone my day gaming as well.

you might like this:

http://www.cedonulli.com/how-to-get-a-100k-job/

very in-line with your career hacking thoughts.