rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Jos A Bank vs. Mens Warehouse

To get suited down without breaking the bank, which of these 2 stores would you most recommend for quality materials, stylishness, name brands, and tailoring services? it's really hard to believe you can get 3 high quality suits for $599 but that's what they both claim at times. would anyone into fashion and looking to make an impression recommend either of these 2 stores?

Jos A Bank.

I say this because neither of these are really going to earn you significant respect/disrespect, you might as well go with the one that offers better value for the $ you'll be dropping. quality between the two is equal - in my opinion. maybe there are some Mens Warehouse enthusiasts here that disagree...
for job interviews/internships it is best to go to Jos A Bank and get a couple of good, conservative yet modern suits. after you get hired, you can step it up if you really feel it's necessary.

if you aren't in working in finance or an equivalently conservative field, the odds are that you won't be surrounded by the kind of douchebags who can tell the difference between Jos A Bank, MW, Brooks Brothers, HB (even then, most can't tell the difference barring a few exceptions). custom made suits are nice, but i'm not at that level yet where I need to be dropping the $ to wear that kind of shit. those student loans don't fuck around...

Lol. the student loan comment was classic.

I just got a promotion at my job, so I'm going to have to be at least in suit and tie every single day. while I own a few dress slacks and some dress shirts and ties, I don't own actually 1 single suit. For many years I wore a uniform at my job, so there was no need for suits. Now, I have to step the game up and fast! Since it will be mandatory that I wear suits all the time, I figure I should look as good and stylish as possible especially with all the secretarial staff around there, whom are mostly female. Granted, there might be all of 2 people who knows what a Brooks
Brothers suit looks like on sight, so I'm not worried about that, but I do want to look fly, I want the suits to at least appear of high quality, and hopefully actually made of some good materials. I figure once I get a basic wardrobe of suits together, I can slowly work in more expensive items and suits. maybe even get 1 tailored once or twice a year!

I'm not a fan of either, but I'd go with Jos. A. Bank long before stepping foot inside Men's Wearhouse.

In my book it's impossible to get three "high quality" suits for $599 - as someone that has worked in suiting, dry cleaning, and tuxedos for the past five years, I can tell you with absolute certainty that most decent suits start off at around $400-$500 each. And that's off the rack, not custom or made-to-measure.

Quote: (02-16-2014 01:05 PM)jariel Wrote:  
Since chicks have decided they have the right to throw their pussies around like Joe Montana, I have the right to be Jerry Rice.

Yeah, I figured a good so what start out that much. A part of me says most people can't tell, but I really hate the way a bad suit looks on a person! plus I'm sure, so I'm going to need alterations. So, since you've worked in the industry, what's the secret to getting a good suit for less?

Quote: (09-09-2012 09:20 PM)Urban Renaissance Man Wrote:  

So, since you've worked in the industry, what's the secret to getting a good suit for less?

Wish I could help you in this regard, but honestly, I can't. My best advice is to cough up the necessary dough to buy a decent suit.

If you live in a large enough American city, there should be a few Italian families running tuxedo rental/custom suiting shops. A lot of the time they'll have some off-the-rack suits hanging for $400-$600, which they can alter in-house at a reasonable price.

Here in Cincinnati most of the Italian cats running tailoring shops make very nice custom suits for $1,000-$1,500.

I'll be honest, I've got a few Jos. A. Bank suits in my wardrobe, and while I get plenty of compliments on them, as someone who knows what true quality suiting is, I feel a little dirty wearing them.

Since chicks have decided they have the right to throw their pussies around like Joe Montana, I have the right to be Jerry Rice.

Quote: (09-09-2012 09:28 PM)MSW2007 Wrote:  

So, since you've worked in the industry, what's the secret to getting a good suit for less?
as someone who knows what true quality suiting is

What makes a suit truly high in quality?

In the Uk I tend to hit TK max for suit. Last season suits can be reduced down from £300 to £60-80, they look sharp as fuck. The only issue is finding a suit exactly your size, but you can always get it tailored on the cheap and still have an ace look.

Quote: (09-09-2012 09:54 PM)All or Nothing Wrote:  

as someone who knows what true quality suiting is

What makes a suit truly high in quality?

For me --

1. Fabric that's made of wool, linen, or silk, not polyester or rayon.

2. Cut and fit complimentary to the gentleman's body type.

3. Skillful stitching holding it all together.

Quote: (09-09-2012 10:00 PM)MSW2007 Wrote:  

For me --

1. Fabric that's made of wool, linen, or silk, not polyester or rayon.

2. Cut and fit complimentary to the gentleman's body type.

3. Skillful stitching holding it all together.

That sounds like a good list to me. I feel like there is one more important thing. Even though it isn't brought up much, I think whether the suit is not canvassed, half-canvassed, or fully canvassed matters in addition to the materials chosen.

Quote: (09-09-2012 10:19 PM)All or Nothing Wrote:  

Even though it isn't brought up much, I think whether the suit is not canvassed, half-canvassed, or fully canvassed matters in addition to the materials chosen.

Good point. I completely agree.

Non-canvassed suits often means fused; while fused suits have come a long way and are less likely for the fabric to "bubble" these days, I will always prefer a fully canvassed suit. Tradition favors strong with me.

Value Village

Suit $10
Tie $0.50

Done and Done.

[/quote]

Good point. I completely agree.

Non-canvassed suits often means fused; while fused suits have come a long way and are less likely for the fabric to "bubble" these days, I will always prefer a fully canvassed suit. Tradition favors strong with me.
[/quote]

Please excuse my ignorance on this matter, but what does it mean for a suit to be "fully canvassed?" Would Jos A Bank have such a thing?

Quote: (09-10-2012 12:08 AM)BadWolf Wrote:  

Value Village

Suit $10
Tie $0.50

Done and Done.

Lol. Where the heck is value village? I wouldn't trust a $10 halloween costume, much less a suit! What's the deal with that?

Quote: (09-09-2012 07:52 PM)Urban Renaissance Man Wrote:  

To get suited down without breaking the bank, which of these 2 stores would you most recommend for quality materials, stylishness, name brands, and tailoring services? it's really hard to believe you can get 3 high quality suits for $599 but that's what they both claim at times. would anyone into fashion and looking to make an impression recommend either of these 2 stores?

neither. you're probably going to get a more fashionable suit at ZARA. they're cheaply made as well, but at least you're not going to look like a banker with an ill fitting baggy suit that is tailored horribly.

if i had to choose, Jos. A Bank, but the suits there are depressing to wear. they are built for corporate america to stock their wardrobe fast. accountants, low level bankers, managers etc...if that's what you want to convey about yourself, go right ahead i guess. but for going out and hitting the town being "suited up
'.....no.

The guys working there don't know a lick about men's tailoring or fit, don't trust what they say, go find a good local tailor even if the tailoring is included in the price of your suit.

$1000-1,500 is the price range I figured a good quality, nice fitting suit would cost. However, I know I will never spend that much on a suit, even if it was Armani. I just don't have it quite like that. However, I can't imagine that even an Armani suit, provided it's a season or 2 old, can't be had for $600. Perhaps I'm sadly mistaken. Still, I wouldn't mind a non-named custom suit. I can see myself paying up to $600 a couple of times a year for that. However, since I own no suits at all, and I'm now working in a job that requires me to wear a suit regularly, I have to pick some up now, the key word being some! I need to get 3-5 suits quickly, and naturally I want them to look good. Like you said, I'll just hit J A Bank, and see what I can work out from there. Thanks for the info. If nothing else, I now know that I should go to J A Bank instead of Mens Warehouse. That narrows it down considerably. I'm curious to know why you pick J A Bank? Have you noticed a slight difference in their quality and choices or something?

Wish I could help you in this regard, but honestly, I can't. My best advice is to cough up the necessary dough to buy a decent suit.

If you live in a large enough American city, there should be a few Italian families running tuxedo rental/custom suiting shops. A lot of the time they'll have some off-the-rack suits hanging for $400-$600, which they can alter in-house at a reasonable price.

Here in Cincinnati most of the Italian cats running tailoring shops make very nice custom suits for $1,000-$1,500.

I'll be honest, I've got a few Jos. A. Bank suits in my wardrobe, and while I get plenty of compliments on them, as someone who knows what true quality suiting is, I feel a little dirty wearing them.

You can get hugo boss suits for about $595 i believe, sometimes on sale too. check out a saks 5th avenue outlet or nordstrom rack. you'll do a lot better there IMO. if you can wait, wait until after christmas/new years, they have good sales.

Even Macy's has Alfani Red Label suits where the material is sh*t, but they have a good slim fit cut.

As said before you could hit up an outlet store (Saks Off Fifth, Nordstrom Rack) get a decent navy or grey suit and then take it to a tailor and get the whole thing changed up and custom fitted-- but i'd ask a tailor how much they can do before i purchased.

You only need 2-3 suits. Change the shirt/tie combos. Better to invest in 2 high quality suits than 3-4 crappy ones.

Quote: (09-10-2012 12:15 PM)Urban Renaissance Man Wrote:  

$1000-1,500 is the price range I figured a good quality, nice fitting suit would cost. However, I know I will never spend that much on a suit, even if it was Armani. I just don't have it quite like that. However, I can't imagine that even an Armani suit, provided it's a season or 2 old, can't be had for $600. Perhaps I'm sadly mistaken. Still, I wouldn't mind a non-named custom suit. I can see myself paying up to $600 a couple of times a year for that. However, since I own no suits at all, and I'm now working in a job that requires me to wear a suit regularly, I have to pick some up now, the key word being some! I need to get 3-5 suits quickly, and naturally I want them to look good. Like you said, I'll just hit J A Bank, and see what I can work out from there. Thanks for the info. If nothing else, I now know that I should go to J A Bank instead of Mens Warehouse. That narrows it down considerably. I'm curious to know why you pick J A Bank? Have you noticed a slight difference in their quality and choices or something?

Hit up Saks Off Fifth Outlet. They have good quality suits for about $600. Then take it to a tailor.

Here's another question... Let's say you didn't want an entire suit, but simply wanted quality, well fitting pants and dress shirts. Which brand of pants and dress shirt would you recommend? I guess I could just buy 2 decent quality suits and then supplement my inventory with nice pants and dress shirts, and buying the blazer seperately. I can find ties anywhere.

Quote: (09-09-2012 07:52 PM)Urban Renaissance Man Wrote:  

Where I live my suit purchasing options are extremely limited.

Hawaii just got that Mens Warehouse place. I needed a green jacket only so I went there. I felt like I was at a Ford dealer. Those bastards tried to sell me everything in the store, even though I told them from the start exactly what I needed. At the last minute the guy tried to sneak in a three dollar garment bag so I said fuck it and walked out. Then I had to go to Neiman Marcus and pay $500 for the damn thing.

Please don't go to Mens Warehouse.

Aloha!

Neither. Some may disagree, but I would suggest purchasing a used suit from a more reputable brand on ebay. You can find amazing deals and with the money saved, tailor the suit to your specifications.

Warning: don't just pick out any old suit with a decent price. Make sure to ask the buyer about any damage that the suit may have sustained. If the buyer is getting rid of the suit because they don't wear it, upgraded, it doesn't fit anymore, great. If the are selling because of damage, look elsewhere. \n
It may take a little time, but you'd be surprised on the quality and value of some of the stuff that you can find on ebay.

"In America we don't worship government, we worship God." - President Donald J. Trump

Quote: (09-10-2012 03:57 PM)JohnKreese Wrote:  

Neither. Some may disagree, but I would suggest purchasing a used suit from a more reputable brand on ebay. You can find amazing deals and with the money saved, tailor the suit to your specifications.

Warning: don't just pick out any old suit with a decent price. Make sure to ask the buyer about any damage that the suit may have sustained. If the buyer is getting rid of the suit because they don't wear it, upgraded, it doesn't fit anymore, great. If the are selling because of damage, look elsewhere. \n
It may take a little time, but you'd be surprised on the quality and value of some of the stuff that you can find on ebay.

agree. i do this and have yet to be disappointed, just know your measurements (not just suit size but things like shhoulder to shoulder, sleeve length, sweep, etc). you can get a nice suit for like $100, i've gotten a few this way. also have several nice blazers for 50-60 bucks a pop.

styleforum.net has buying and selling marketplace and most of the people there are legit as well. works well for dress shirts, ties too. you can buy a lot of designer ties for like 10 bucks each where they would retail at 80-90 bucks.

If you're slim like me you can do bananarepublic shirts and pants pretty well. Not sure about their suits, but if you have one of their big discount days apply to the entire suit purchase, it could be worth a try. I get all their shit 40% off when they email about their sales (often).

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

Quote: (09-10-2012 03:05 PM)Urban Renaissance Man Wrote:  

Here's another question... Let's say you didn't want an entire suit, but simply wanted quality, well fitting pants and dress shirts. Which brand of pants and dress shirt would you recommend? I guess I could just buy 2 decent quality suits and then supplement my inventory with nice pants and dress shirts, and buying the blazer seperately. I can find ties anywhere.

I like my Charles Tyrwhitt dress shirts. They ALWAYS have promos, they're in England though but you can specify everything....i got them on promo for like 40 bucks each.
http://www.ctshirts.com/

Hugo Boss is a good "bang for the buck" type of line in the $600 range and they have "modern" cuts.