rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Rio

Rio

So this forum has its fair share of info about this place, but Ill give a contribution for what it is worth. What I’ve appreciated the most has been the info about what places to go to, so that is what Ill focus on here. Ill list prices in reais (about half the dollar)

Where to stay
Personally I don’t think it matter too much whether you stay at Ipanema or Copacabana, but if all other factors are equal, go for Ipanema. Also, a good option would be Santa Teresa if you don’t have to go to the beach every day.

If you are staying for two weeks or more, try to find an apartment. Google Rio Local Apartment or something like that. I paid 1600 for a small but nice studio apartment at Copacabana, with internet and everything, and it was def worth it. But you can also find cheaper if you look some more. One tip would be to pass by the school Casa do Caminho at Ipanema and ask around: The school is full of people living in Rio short time and renting places, and you should be able to get valuable info there.

Transportation
The metro works great, but stops around midnight. The buses are quite nice as well but a bit more complicated. To go between the two beaches, just flag down one of the white mini vans who passes by every 3-5 minute. You can also take them to Lapa and probably other places as well.

Eating
For good and quite healthy food, go for one of the Asian run corner diners. I paid 10 for a big and good meal with Acai close by my place, and thus well worth it. Those Brasilian run Lanchonetes are more expensive and worse.

To try out churrascaria, go to a place called Carretao (both beaches have them). Cheapest churrascaria in the beach area, 50 reais all you can eat, and the quality was good. Kone for sushi is also a good alternative.

Security
I walked around drunk at night all the time, and nothing happened (Did the Roosh thing with taking of my shirt). I did however run into quite a lot of people who have had problem, so what I wouldn’t do is go to the beach (Copacabana) when it is about to get dark and later. Doesn’t matter if the police are close by, you can still get robbed. If somebody asks you about what time it is, take the hint and leave quickly. If your training at some of the machines along the beach and some random (favela) guy starts talk to you, just say your training and don’t want to be disturbed. And don’t flash your camera at Lapa too much, even during the day. But all in all, there are a lot of places worse than Rio in the world.

Language
Obviously, learning Portuguese is a big plus. Yeah, a lot of the girls speak English, but by speaking the language you avoid being just like the rest of the gringos. I almost always opened up by speaking Spanish, even if they almost never understood much. And you should also make it clear, if you are not a native English speaker, that English is in fact your second language (and thus making it clear that you guys are on neutral ground, instead of you being some ignorant guy coming to her country using your own language)

I knew Spanish at an intermediate to high level (talking without problem, reading basic stuff but struggling some with complicated books). It took me one month of 3 hs daily studying Portuguese to get to the point that I could have a really basic conversation. The person I would be talking to would have to cooperate quite a lot though, and take it easy.

Nightlife and girls
I was in Rio for two and half months, and the first month I got nothing. The next two weeks one (gringa), and the last month five (Brazilians). Not much to go crazy about, and my game is just so so. The skewed numbers don’t only reflect and coincide with my Portuguese gaining strength, but a couple of other factors:

-Logistic! This cant be underlined enough. A lot of the bangs wouldn’t have happened had I not had my place. I would normally suggest going to some cornerplace to get a night snack, and then say that my place is right by and that we could go and drink some yerba mate (Argentinean tee. Or chimarrao as they call it in Brazil) and show hear some funny youtube clip (that I coincidentally had mentioned earlier in the evening.) Whatever rocks your boat. Pretend that you are sleepy isn’t a stupid thing either. So my first three weeks at a hostel didn’t help much. Going to a love motel with a guy she has just met is a threshold for most girls.
-I started to know what places to go to, and doing so mostly alone.

Some other thing: This is said before but should be repeated. Go for the girls that are in Rio on holyday and preferably are staying at hostels. There are quite a lot of them so bear that in mind.

I didn’t have a phone that worked the first month, which is a big hindrance. You could buy a phone card and call from the boots, or better if you have smart phone, use skype. But bear in mind that texting is what most of the girls prefer.

I went in high season (December to March (april), and arrived in time for carnival.
It is overpraised. Fine, you can kiss decent girls without having to say anything, but it will seldom lead to anything. It seems like the last thing a girl wants to, is to hook up during this time. A friend of mine who was with me during the first month, was in Rio last May- June, and said he did a lot better then. Not nearly as many tourists when it is winter in Brazil.

So to the important part:
To get the full Rio party experience, go to Melt on Tuesday, Guimos pub on Wednesday, Baxio Gavea on Thursday, Lapa on Friday, drinking on bars in Leblon before heading to Emporios on Saturday and then Casa Rosa on Sunday. If this is a good trip is another history.

Lapa
It was OK but nothing special. What I would do, which would work more or less, would be to go there and drink in the street while I would pass the different places to see what looked promising. So if a place had a decent line of people waiting, and a good balance, that is where I would enter. An Irish bar which I don’t remember the name of was quite good. This is also the place where you’ll find Rio Scenarium, which I never went to. Met some girls though who had been there, and they complained about horny gringos, so I guess I didn’t miss out.

I hooked up with a pretty upperclassgirl at anther occasion that had been at Lapa, and she didn’t like it. She said other (favela) girls had shouted some bad words to here, and besides, it hurt to walk on cobblestone on high heels. That being said, I saw some quite nice morena girls there.

The gringo trail
The gringo trail would consist of Melt on Tuesday, Guimo’s pub on Wednesday and Emporio any other day.

So basically it comes down to whether you are a stereotypical “good” gringo, or not. Obviously you won’t be the only foreigner, at least not in high season, but on the good side the girls go to these places to meet gringos. I did quite well at some occasions, even if the balance was horrible, and I credit that to being very gringo (ie tall blond etc). If on the other hand you are not in that category, I don’t think these places are too nice (maybe Guimos pub on Wednesday, which is actually a Latin party. Lots of gringas go there as well).

Emporio in the end proved to be a good spot for me. The girls know it’s a gringo place and nothing wrong in that. And some really want to practice English, so it could be a win win situation. This is however, the only place so far in Brazil where Ive once run into a “undercover professional”.

I didn’t much like Melt, and the last time I went I basically turned in the door when I realized that there where at least 15 other Norwegian guys there. Like being back home. But my friend said it was good outside tourist season, so by all means, check it out on Tuesdays.

Baixo Gavea
So this is where the students go, Thursday in particular but also Monday have I heard. If you go here, make sure the semester is still rolling (which isn’t the case now). So I only went here once, and was one of the places where I was particularly disappointed over the fact that I didn’t have any success: A lot of students, a good mix, and not many gringos. The reason for this failure must be that the students go here to catch up with each other, and not to meet strangers. Hooking up with somebody, and even worse a gringo/stranger, in front of all your friends and fellow students, isn’t something your much keen on doing.

I must state however, that I only went there once, and that I in fact would give the place another chance if I were back in town.

Barra Music
This is a huge place some 20 min outside Rio, with different kind of local music and almost just locals. Also one of the places where I entered and thought that this would be great, but it turned out be a massacre. Can’t really explain why, but my two other friends did OK if I remember right, so my experience doesn’t need to matter a lot.

Casa Matrix
I never actually entered this place, because the time we went here the line was too big for the taste of the rest of the group. Judging by checking out the line of people, the place should be good, if a tad young (18-20).

Casa Rosa
So this is the shit! Almost just Brazilians, many of which are travelling, a good balance. Going here on Sundays is a must. Get here by 20, preferably earlier (trust me on this). Some local samba band will be playing until 22, and until they end it is great: It seems like the Brazilian guys are busy dancing, so you can just spot out someone you like and start talking. A lot of light as well, so you get a good impression of everything. AS the night proceeds’ it becomes a night club with all that goes with it, which is great for escalating. This was the only place in Rio where I felt that being gringo was a big exotic plus.

Baronetti
So I never went to this place either, as it is quite expensive. You would probably find a lot of girls here, but if they are easy to get with, I don’t know (but Im skeptic).

Bars in Leblon/Ipanema
What I should have done more of would have to be going out early during the weekends to all of the small bars that fill this area (7-8 o clock). I saw a lot of talent here, and they were drinking rapidly. So granted, most places are sit-down, at least early on, but if you grab a table and chill with some beers, you should have no trouble striking up chats with neighboring girls. It also seems that while most guys keep going after 12 oclock, a lot of the girls are not clubbing and thus going home. So more the reason that this is a golden time. Do this instead of playing drinking games with other backpackers.

To sum up
Rio is good, but don’t expect too much. Some other thing that I should mention: During my two and a half months, I got into two tense situations and one semi-violent confrontation with Brazilian guys, just for striking up a chat with their girl. Maybe that is just inevitable, but I think this is the explanation behind their really fast kissing culture: The phase when more than one guy is in for the win, is also a potential troubled time. I experienced a lot of time girlfriends begging me to kiss their friend, asking me why I was taking so long (10-30 min with a good talk, up to an hour but by then you should go for it). I Norway we may be likewise aggressive, but not that jealous, while in Argentina they are just as jealous as the Brazilian but not that aggressive. Might be that I completely miss target, this can be relevant to understand speedkissing in Brazil.

And lastly, it is my strong impression that the place where you’re are going should have a cover of between 15-60 reais. Less, and you’ll have a lot of guys/not that pretty girls, and more, they tend to be too stuck up. I’ve heard Brazilians tell me that the rich kids aren’t allowed to talk to other kids at school, before the parents have gotten to know the other parents and thus deemed them worthy, and this attitude they bring with them later in life. Anyboat, Ive been to some expensive places and not getting anything, and it is as if the girls are only open to guys they know are moneywise worthy.

Well that was that. I will probably be staying in Brazil another year teaching English, but don’t know where. Not Rio though, that’s for sure.

Rio

Quote: (07-05-2012 08:09 PM)Erty Nab Wrote:  

Rio

So this forum has its fair share of info about this place, but Ill give a contribution for what it is worth. What I’ve appreciated the most has been the info about what places to go to, so that is what Ill focus on here. Ill list prices in reais (about half the dollar)

Where to stay
Personally I don’t think it matter too much whether you stay at Ipanema or Copacabana, but if all other factors are equal, go for Ipanema. Also, a good option would be Santa Teresa if you don’t have to go to the beach every day.

If you are staying for two weeks or more, try to find an apartment. Google Rio Local Apartment or something like that. I paid 1600 for a small but nice studio apartment at Copacabana, with internet and everything, and it was def worth it. But you can also find cheaper if you look some more. One tip would be to pass by the school Casa do Caminho at Ipanema and ask around: The school is full of people living in Rio short time and renting places, and you should be able to get valuable info there.

Transportation
The metro works great, but stops around midnight. The buses are quite nice as well but a bit more complicated. To go between the two beaches, just flag down one of the white mini vans who passes by every 3-5 minute. You can also take them to Lapa and probably other places as well.

Eating
For good and quite healthy food, go for one of the Asian run corner diners. I paid 10 for a big and good meal with Acai close by my place, and thus well worth it. Those Brasilian run Lanchonetes are more expensive and worse.

To try out churrascaria, go to a place called Carretao (both beaches have them). Cheapest churrascaria in the beach area, 50 reais all you can eat, and the quality was good. Kone for sushi is also a good alternative.

Security
I walked around drunk at night all the time, and nothing happened (Did the Roosh thing with taking of my shirt). I did however run into quite a lot of people who have had problem, so what I wouldn’t do is go to the beach (Copacabana) when it is about to get dark and later. Doesn’t matter if the police are close by, you can still get robbed. If somebody asks you about what time it is, take the hint and leave quickly. If your training at some of the machines along the beach and some random (favela) guy starts talk to you, just say your training and don’t want to be disturbed. And don’t flash your camera at Lapa too much, even during the day. But all in all, there are a lot of places worse than Rio in the world.

Language
Obviously, learning Portuguese is a big plus. Yeah, a lot of the girls speak English, but by speaking the language you avoid being just like the rest of the gringos. I almost always opened up by speaking Spanish, even if they almost never understood much. And you should also make it clear, if you are not a native English speaker, that English is in fact your second language (and thus making it clear that you guys are on neutral ground, instead of you being some ignorant guy coming to her country using your own language)

I knew Spanish at an intermediate to high level (talking without problem, reading basic stuff but struggling some with complicated books). It took me one month of 3 hs daily studying Portuguese to get to the point that I could have a really basic conversation. The person I would be talking to would have to cooperate quite a lot though, and take it easy.

Nightlife and girls
I was in Rio for two and half months, and the first month I got nothing. The next two weeks one (gringa), and the last month five (Brazilians). Not much to go crazy about, and my game is just so so. The skewed numbers don’t only reflect and coincide with my Portuguese gaining strength, but a couple of other factors:

-Logistic! This cant be underlined enough. A lot of the bangs wouldn’t have happened had I not had my place. I would normally suggest going to some cornerplace to get a night snack, and then say that my place is right by and that we could go and drink some yerba mate (Argentinean tee. Or chimarrao as they call it in Brazil) and show hear some funny youtube clip (that I coincidentally had mentioned earlier in the evening.) Whatever rocks your boat. Pretend that you are sleepy isn’t a stupid thing either. So my first three weeks at a hostel didn’t help much. Going to a love motel with a guy she has just met is a threshold for most girls.
-I started to know what places to go to, and doing so mostly alone.

Some other thing: This is said before but should be repeated. Go for the girls that are in Rio on holyday and preferably are staying at hostels. There are quite a lot of them so bear that in mind.

I didn’t have a phone that worked the first month, which is a big hindrance. You could buy a phone card and call from the boots, or better if you have smart phone, use skype. But bear in mind that texting is what most of the girls prefer.

I went in high season (December to March (april), and arrived in time for carnival.
It is overpraised. Fine, you can kiss decent girls without having to say anything, but it will seldom lead to anything. It seems like the last thing a girl wants to, is to hook up during this time. A friend of mine who was with me during the first month, was in Rio last May- June, and said he did a lot better then. Not nearly as many tourists when it is winter in Brazil.

So to the important part:
To get the full Rio party experience, go to Melt on Tuesday, Guimos pub on Wednesday, Baxio Gavea on Thursday, Lapa on Friday, drinking on bars in Leblon before heading to Emporios on Saturday and then Casa Rosa on Sunday. If this is a good trip is another history.

Lapa
It was OK but nothing special. What I would do, which would work more or less, would be to go there and drink in the street while I would pass the different places to see what looked promising. So if a place had a decent line of people waiting, and a good balance, that is where I would enter. An Irish bar which I don’t remember the name of was quite good. This is also the place where you’ll find Rio Scenarium, which I never went to. Met some girls though who had been there, and they complained about horny gringos, so I guess I didn’t miss out.

I hooked up with a pretty upperclassgirl at anther occasion that had been at Lapa, and she didn’t like it. She said other (favela) girls had shouted some bad words to here, and besides, it hurt to walk on cobblestone on high heels. That being said, I saw some quite nice morena girls there.

The gringo trail
The gringo trail would consist of Melt on Tuesday, Guimo’s pub on Wednesday and Emporio any other day.

So basically it comes down to whether you are a stereotypical “good” gringo, or not. Obviously you won’t be the only foreigner, at least not in high season, but on the good side the girls go to these places to meet gringos. I did quite well at some occasions, even if the balance was horrible, and I credit that to being very gringo (ie tall blond etc). If on the other hand you are not in that category, I don’t think these places are too nice (maybe Guimos pub on Wednesday, which is actually a Latin party. Lots of gringas go there as well).

Emporio in the end proved to be a good spot for me. The girls know it’s a gringo place and nothing wrong in that. And some really want to practice English, so it could be a win win situation. This is however, the only place so far in Brazil where Ive once run into a “undercover professional”.

I didn’t much like Melt, and the last time I went I basically turned in the door when I realized that there where at least 15 other Norwegian guys there. Like being back home. But my friend said it was good outside tourist season, so by all means, check it out on Tuesdays.

Baixo Gavea
So this is where the students go, Thursday in particular but also Monday have I heard. If you go here, make sure the semester is still rolling (which isn’t the case now). So I only went here once, and was one of the places where I was particularly disappointed over the fact that I didn’t have any success: A lot of students, a good mix, and not many gringos. The reason for this failure must be that the students go here to catch up with each other, and not to meet strangers. Hooking up with somebody, and even worse a gringo/stranger, in front of all your friends and fellow students, isn’t something your much keen on doing.

I must state however, that I only went there once, and that I in fact would give the place another chance if I were back in town.

Barra Music
This is a huge place some 20 min outside Rio, with different kind of local music and almost just locals. Also one of the places where I entered and thought that this would be great, but it turned out be a massacre. Can’t really explain why, but my two other friends did OK if I remember right, so my experience doesn’t need to matter a lot.

Casa Matrix
I never actually entered this place, because the time we went here the line was too big for the taste of the rest of the group. Judging by checking out the line of people, the place should be good, if a tad young (18-20).

Casa Rosa
So this is the shit! Almost just Brazilians, many of which are travelling, a good balance. Going here on Sundays is a must. Get here by 20, preferably earlier (trust me on this). Some local samba band will be playing until 22, and until they end it is great: It seems like the Brazilian guys are busy dancing, so you can just spot out someone you like and start talking. A lot of light as well, so you get a good impression of everything. AS the night proceeds’ it becomes a night club with all that goes with it, which is great for escalating. This was the only place in Rio where I felt that being gringo was a big exotic plus.

Baronetti
So I never went to this place either, as it is quite expensive. You would probably find a lot of girls here, but if they are easy to get with, I don’t know (but Im skeptic).

Bars in Leblon/Ipanema
What I should have done more of would have to be going out early during the weekends to all of the small bars that fill this area (7-8 o clock). I saw a lot of talent here, and they were drinking rapidly. So granted, most places are sit-down, at least early on, but if you grab a table and chill with some beers, you should have no trouble striking up chats with neighboring girls. It also seems that while most guys keep going after 12 oclock, a lot of the girls are not clubbing and thus going home. So more the reason that this is a golden time. Do this instead of playing drinking games with other backpackers.

To sum up
Rio is good, but don’t expect too much. Some other thing that I should mention: During my two and a half months, I got into two tense situations and one semi-violent confrontation with Brazilian guys, just for striking up a chat with their girl. Maybe that is just inevitable, but I think this is the explanation behind their really fast kissing culture: The phase when more than one guy is in for the win, is also a potential troubled time. I experienced a lot of time girlfriends begging me to kiss their friend, asking me why I was taking so long (10-30 min with a good talk, up to an hour but by then you should go for it). I Norway we may be likewise aggressive, but not that jealous, while in Argentina they are just as jealous as the Brazilian but not that aggressive. Might be that I completely miss target, this can be relevant to understand speedkissing in Brazil.

And lastly, it is my strong impression that the place where you’re are going should have a cover of between 15-60 reais. Less, and you’ll have a lot of guys/not that pretty girls, and more, they tend to be too stuck up. I’ve heard Brazilians tell me that the rich kids aren’t allowed to talk to other kids at school, before the parents have gotten to know the other parents and thus deemed them worthy, and this attitude they bring with them later in life. Anyboat, Ive been to some expensive places and not getting anything, and it is as if the girls are only open to guys they know are moneywise worthy.

Well that was that. I will probably be staying in Brazil another year teaching English, but don’t know where. Not Rio though, that’s for sure.

I agree. IMO Rio NOW is finished as a city that consistently delivers quality Brazilian poon, for a foreigner, even if they have game. Unless you have social circle or some outstanding quality, like being a blue eyed- blond European type, there are better Brazilian cities to choose from. Even worse it is now more expensive than New York City. Gone are the days when my short Ecuadorian uncle, in the 80s, would come back with pictures of thin young girls with curves and big booties that absolutely adored any foreigner.

Rio

Nice report. Can you tell me more about your apartment and what was it like? Did it have aircon etc?

I've been looking at places online and the prices are crazy for places that look shit and have just a fan, totally not affordable. $R1600 is better than I've seen so far.

Rio

"I agree. IMO Rio NOW is finished as a city that consistently delivers quality Brazilian poon, for a foreigner, even if they have game. Unless you have social circle or some outstanding quality, like being a blue eyed- blond European type, there are better Brazilian cities to choose from. Even worse it is now more expensive than New York City. Gone are the days when my short Ecuadorian uncle, in the 80s, would come back with pictures of thin young girls with curves and big booties that absolutely adored any foreigner"

Better cities that Rio out there for sure. Im in BH now (saw what you wrote) and Im having my first weekend out here. Just by walking around though, it looks promising. So maybe Ill end up here. Vitoria or Campinas are my second alternatives.

"Nice report. Can you tell me more about your apartment and what was it like? Did it have aircon etc?

I've been looking at places online and the prices are crazy for places that look shit and have just a fan, totally not affordable. $R1600 is better than I've seen so far."

Thanks. The place I had was small but of high standard, with aircon and fan, TV, a good kitchen and a nice bathroom. Ill send you the mail of the guys who has the place

Rio

Quote: (07-06-2012 01:05 PM)Erty Nab Wrote:  

"I agree. IMO Rio NOW is finished as a city that consistently delivers quality Brazilian poon, for a foreigner, even if they have game. Unless you have social circle or some outstanding quality, like being a blue eyed- blond European type, there are better Brazilian cities to choose from. Even worse it is now more expensive than New York City. Gone are the days when my short Ecuadorian uncle, in the 80s, would come back with pictures of thin young girls with curves and big booties that absolutely adored any foreigner"

Better cities that Rio out there for sure. Im in BH now (saw what you wrote) and Im having my first weekend out here. Just by walking around though, it looks promising. So maybe Ill end up here. Vitoria or Campinas are my second alternatives.

"Nice report. Can you tell me more about your apartment and what was it like? Did it have aircon etc?

I've been looking at places online and the prices are crazy for places that look shit and have just a fan, totally not affordable. $R1600 is better than I've seen so far."

Thanks. The place I had was small but of high standard, with aircon and fan, TV, a good kitchen and a nice bathroom. Ill send you the mail of the guys who has the place

Yes Belo Horizonte has great talent. Better than Medellin, Rio or Sao Paulo. But as a foreigner, you have to stay at least 6 months to get that loving feeling, from the girls there

Rio

Short term furnished apartments are almost impossible to find in BH. But, if you can afford to buy a house and car there, want to settle down and fine a nice decent girl, it might be the best big city in Brazil

Rio

From my experience Copacabana is not as previously described "unsafe at night". If at night means past midnight then maybe. But in the dark hours from 6pm-12pm there are many people walking around (Saturday). Here's a photo of a couple walking in their swimsuits this late.
[Image: attachment.jpg6760]   [Image: attachment.jpg6761]   

Rio

"Short term furnished apartments are almost impossible to find in BH. But, if you can afford to buy a house and car there, want to settle down and fine a nice decent girl, it might be the best big city in Brazil"

I was thinking of trying to get into a "republica" or shared student house, both because of the price but also for the opportunity to practise a lot of portuguese. Getting away with 300 should be possible afther what Ive heard.

"From my experience Copacabana is not as previously described "unsafe at night". If at night means past midnight then maybe. But in the dark hours from 6pm-12pm there are many people walking around (Saturday). Here's a photo of a couple walking in their swimsuits this late. "

By saying at the beach, I litteraly meen down by the ocean. Walking around on the sidewalk isnt a problem. I met up with a group of people around 18 one day at Copacabana who 5 min earlier had been robbed by a big group of guys where at least one had a knife. But to specify, that was close by the ocean (but within seeing distance of the sidewalk). Nice photos though

Rio

There's always a risk to get robbed, anywhere in the world. But... Zona Sul (and especially the Leblon/Ipanema/Copacabana/Leme) area is very safe these days. I often move around at 03-04-5 in the night after partying without ever having any problems. The tourists I met didn't have to tell me they where robbed in Rio, I could tell it just by looking at the way they walked around/looked around,... some people attract this kind of things, wherever they are in the world.

Copacabana doesn't have much to offer at night, but if you are walking around there, just try to stick to the Nossa Senhora or Avenida Atlantica and you should be fine.

BH is cool woman wise (noting else to do there), but you need some time to get into a social circle. This being said, I often do good when I head there for a weekend trip. Try to make friends in the local (street) bars & go out with them. People from Minas are proud about their culture & especially food. It's easy to start conversations about that (also in day game).

Rio

"BH is cool woman wise (noting else to do there), but you need some time to get into a social circle. This being said, I often do good when I head there for a weekend trip. Try to make friends in the local (street) bars & go out with them. People from Minas are proud about their culture & especially food. It's easy to start conversations about that (also in day game)."

thanks for the tip, I havent done any good going out so far. Went to swingers club but not much success. Its probably time to be more active during the day