rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What's your strategy for screening job options?

What's your strategy for screening job options?

Hey,

So i'm a 21 year old college student in a solid major set to graduate at the end of spring. Everyone and their mom was barraging me with horror stories of not being able to find a job, so I got scared and jumped the gun on job applications.

I cold-called hundreds of companies, leveraged my own family/friend connections, and emailed almost everyone I knew on linkedin, and finding a job turned out to be a lot easier than I expected.

I ended up taking a smaller (shittier) offers since they were quicker to respond/offer, and then today I got a better offer from a different company.

So basically I'm in a situation where I made a lot of promises to a lot of different people...this is going to make for some awkward "let downs" and I honestly feel like a scumbag for doing so.

How do I avoid this situation in the future, what's the best way to screen your job options? How do I know how to hold off on a shitty offer and when to accept a good offer? Is it just experience? or is the same deal, to commit to one company, and then jump ship as soon as a better opportunity presents itself.

Also what's a good way of letting commitments down without burning bridges? I kind of want to jump ship from my offer already, but I haven't even graduated/started yet....

Messages In This Thread