rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Going back to school to get my CPA

Going back to school to get my CPA

I just turned 30, and tentatively decided to go back to school and get my CPA. I have a pretty worthless degree in international studies with a minor in Spanish. My professional resume is pretty limited. I briefly taught English in Japan and lived in South America for a couple years where I also taught English on a limited basis. My last 5 years of travel have been funded primarily by playing poker as well as working part time jobs no more than 15 hours a week. I have spent the last 5 years just getting by and failing to decide on a career path. I consulted some friends who advised me to look into a bilingual sales job, which I considered, but didn't take any action on. Instead, I registered to go back to school to get my CPA. School starts in about two weeks.

My current life consists of a new job working security at a strip club which my friend, the owner, hooked me up with (15-20 hrs/week) and poker playing (also 15-20 hours. The strip club gig pays $15-$18/hour depending on tips and number of girls working. The poker has averaged about $24/hr over the last 3 years that I still have records. I am also dabbling in importing now. I have just received samples for some products that I am taking to local stores to try to sell wholesale, but which I ultimately plan to sell online. So far I haven't made

I'm going to list the pros and cons of getting my CPA and ask for advice on this plan, whether to do it or ditch it for another path. By the way my plan isn't is to be a managerial accountant or possibly get into auditing which will allow for travelling.

Cons:

1. 2 years of school.
2. Tuition of 14k for which I will require loans.
3. The uncomfortable feeling of being in school with kids 10 years younger than me.
4. It is supposedly one of the most difficult majors, which doesn't concern me except for the fact that it could cost me an extra semester if the workload is too much or I fuck up a class.
5. Wasting time when I could be doing something more profitable.
6. Bullshit bureaucracy that accompanies the white collar world.
7. Limited time to travel and visit my kid.

Pros:

1. Business is something that I haven't studied, but I think I would enjoy and thrive at.
2. Clear and direct career path.
3. Potential to work either remotely for a company or start my own business after a few years experience
4. Job security. Accountants are always in demand.
5. High pay
6. Ability to keep my current job at the strip club and continue playing poker as much as my time allows.
7. Being in class with girls 10 years younger than me.

Given the info I provided, does going back to school seem like a good idea? If not, what other paths should I consider. Is there anything I am overlooking? Thanks guys. Oh and I am in the good old USA now.

Messages In This Thread