rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Starting over at 30 - do I go for money or lifestyle?

Starting over at 30 - do I go for money or lifestyle?

I am 30 years old and have been living in NYC for the last few years working in hospitality as a bartender and now bar owner. Due to very unfortunate circumstances concerning legal issues outside of my control, I am going to lose my business. I will be forced to sell sometime in the next few months and unfortunately will recoup nowhere near what I have invested. I will basically be left with very little when all is said and done. I have decided that NYC is no longer where I want to be due to all the regulations, fines, red tape, taxes, etc.

I will have two choices.

I have an opportunity to go back to my home state of New Jersey where I can work in an office job where I had worked before moving to NYC to pursue hospitality. It is in a field that I am not passionate about, in an area of the state that is basically suburbia with very little to do and very few people in the 21-35 age range which is where I fall. The upside is that I would likely be able to earn over 175k annually and my expenses would be relatively low.

The other option I am considering is moving to another major city like Vegas or Austin etc. to continue working in hospitality, either bartending, managing or something related to that, in a more enjoyable work setting and city than I would be experiencing in NJ. The lifestyle in terms of work and social life would certainly be better, but it would be much more difficult to build up my bankroll again.

Basically I would like input into what you guys think is the better path. Do I bite the bullet and deal with a job I don’t like in an area which will be no fun, in order to stack cash? Or do I sacrifice money in order to try to have a more enjoyable lifestyle, with much lower financial expectations?

Messages In This Thread